2021/2022 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Colonel Green

Might these possibly be Gilles & Poirier's new FD costumes? I don't recall seeing them before:
That seems like a good bet.

ISU bios are finally being updated in advance of the Autumn Classic. I'm going to guess that Zach is the one who tracked down a blues piece by an obscure Scottish funk band that doesn't even have a Wiki entry (unless he stole it from Lewis Gibson). And they're also seeking to bring the music of Frank Stallone to the Olympics.

Still no Piper & Paul update, though.

Colonel Green

Piper's Instagram announces that their free dance is (as many guessed) "The Long and Winding Road", but performed by Govardo (the same band that did their "Vincent" cover).

Also, the practice session today confirmed an Elton John RD, specifically to "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" and "I'm Still Standing".

Colonel Green

Piper & Paul are featured in today’s Canadian Olympic Committee announcement of their new partnership with lululemon:

Given their World medal, I figured they would be our figure skating’s main faces going into these Games; more signs the COC also sees it that way.

skatingguy

decently
Overly dramatic figure skaters - the rest of athletes look like normal, well balanced people.

TC_work_co_storyPage_drop01_16-9_large_headshots

barbarafan

Ice dance entries for upcoming Challengers:

Cup of Austria
Fabbri & Ayer
Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs

Warsaw Cup
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs
sO GLAD Fabri & Ayer have another shot. Total stupidity They are not on the national team.

Sylvia

TBD
Ice dance entries for upcoming Challengers:

Cup of Austria
Fabbri & Ayer
Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs
Good to see Skate Canada also is sending 2 junior teams to Graz, Austria, Nov. 11-14 (listed on their Assignments page):
SANDRINE GAUTHIER / QUENTIN THIEREN (JR) - international debut
NATALIE D’ALESSANDRO / BRUCE WADDELL (JR) - warmup for the JGP Final

Player's Own Voice podcast episode (Oct. 19, 2021): It's Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier's time to shine
It's Piper and Paul's turn in the sun now, and with the Beijing Winter Olympics approaching rapidly they don't have time to savour the spotlight. It's all about getting their programme honed to perfection.
Long standing fans of the duo will be thrilled to learn that their latest long performance is built around The Beatles song 'Day in the Life' — interpreted by the same remarkable busker team whose 'Starry Night' electrified crowds for Piper and Paul starting in 2018.
The ice dancers share secrets of an enduring partnership with podcast host Anastasia Bucsis.

screech

Piper & Paul modeling the new Team Canada 2022 wardrobe:

They're kind of the ideal models - not only are they attractive, but since they're a team, you get the clothes of both genders in the same shot, and in interesting poses that not everyone can hit.
I also think lululemon is a great choice for the team wardrobe - since their line is athletic in nature, and worldwide (while Canadian in origin), it just makes sense. I was always disappointed that the Roots partnership ended, but this one makes a lot of sense.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR DANCE
(scores over 130)
These "standings" are looking a little out of wack because of how intl vs. domestic comps are scored...

Gilles/Poirier 210 Intl
Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen 190 Intl
Lauriault/LeGac 187
Fabbri/Ayer 184
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs 184 (August Ont Opp)
Lajoie/Lagha 181 Intl
Soucisse/Firus 166 Intl
Sales/Wamsteeker 156 Intl
Campbell/Fawcett 154
Hensen/Lickers 152
Behiel/Behiel 145
Iannetta/Carr 144
Hollstein/Burger 130

JUNIOR DANCE
scores over 110
(some are listed twice- it felt more sensible to keep them seperate here)

International
D’Alessandro/Waddell 163 JGP
Bashynska/Beaumont 157 JGP
Makita/Gunara 149 JGP
Robinson/Portz 132 JGP
Goodstadt/Barsoum 129 JGP
Yu/Giang 129 JGP
Khelifa/Zhu 127 JGP
Nguyen/Roueche 117 JGP

SECTIONALS
Bashynska/Beaumont 163
Khelifa/Zhu 146
Gauthier/Thieren 146
Cutler/Mah 132
Robinson/Portz 130
Estepa/Hickey 128
Embro/Millar 127
Saunders/Oddson 124
Foroglou-Gadoury/Desmarais 123
Fournier/Haddad 121
Bolender/Dotzert 118
Lewis/McMillan 118
Goodstadt/Barsoum 117
Martel/Chant 116
Gover/Patriquin 112

Colonel Green

Marjorie & Zach had a solid event at NHK (though it would have been nice if they could have squeaked past Hurtado & Khaliavin). Also, they appeared on a Quebec TV program recently with former speed skating Olympian Marianne St-Gelais.

Laurence & Nikolaj collected another Challenger silver at Cup of Austria (after being narrowly third in the RD), while Alicia & Paul finished fifth with some pretty nice scores for them. Molly & Dmitre were further down, but their RD is quite fun and it'll be nice to see it with better camerawork at some point.

Natalie & Bruce won the junior Ice Challenge, though it wasn't their best event by any means.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Fabbri and Ayer's score is a few points higher than Soucisse and Firus seasons best. I think the battle for 4CC spots could be more interesting than the Olympic team, which is pretty certain at this point. Will be interesting to see if Lauriault and LeGac get an assignment and how they compare to the other teams - they are still planning to compete for Canada right? Are they eligible? It's been almost two years since they competed internationally.

barbarafan

L/LeG recently beat F/A in Quebec. If you have competition forum access, it's all in the Canadian spring and summer competition thread.
Both teams were wonderful. They will definitely represent Canada well if chosen for any of the main competitions.

blue_idealist

Fabbri and Ayer's score is a few points higher than Soucisse and Firus seasons best. I think the battle for 4CC spots could be more interesting than the Olympic team, which is pretty certain at this point. Will be interesting to see if Lauriault and LeGac get an assignment and how they compare to the other teams - they are still planning to compete for Canada right? Are they eligible? It's been almost two years since they competed internationally.

Yeah, it's going to be an interesting fight for 4th between S/F, F/A, Lauriault/LeGac and Sales/Wamsteeker. I hope the edge goes to S/F though.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yeah, it's going to be an interesting fight for 4th between S/F, F/A, Lauriault/LeGac and Sales/Wamsteeker. I hope the edge goes to S/F though.
I think S/W are in a battle for 7th with LanRaz, based on S/W's SCI scores and LanRaz's CS Austria scores.

Sylvia

TBD
Michael M. & Trennt spoke with Laurence & Nikolaj after Skate America: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...nier-beaudry-and/id1572281085?i=1000540603697
... [FB/S] "hot off a bronze medal performance in Las Vegas at Skate America. This team has an interesting story as they started their career representing Nik’s home country of Denmark. Nik officially became a Canadian citizen this past summer and they are well on their way to securing an Olympic spot on Team Canada. In this episode we hear their story in their own words and get some insight on the wonderful people they are.

barbarafan

I think S/W are in a battle for 7th with LanRaz, based on S/W's SCI scores and LanRaz's CS Austria scores.
Are you talking about nationals? I think the judges will mark f/a down as usual. They were not named to national team nor invited to high performance camp so it will make them look even more stupid if they do well at nationals. S/F did not do challenge along with many teams and they were named to national team. S/W did but F/A scored 75 in RD- S/W-a few pts less. S/w scored higher on FD but should not have...It was new better choreo. but very sloppy and not well done. SSSSoooo now S/F are slowly improving. S/W are really improving as well. It is not that I think anyone that was put on team should not have been. It is that I feel F/A should have been put on team as well as it was really too close to tell.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Ontario Presents #3Turn3 with Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier (they finally appear on screen at 12:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-XvWmw9ZPs
Skate Ontario Presents: #3Turn3 is back this week on Friday morning 12/24/21 at 10am ET with special guests Olympians and World Medallists Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. How are they staying in top form over the holidays? How does Beijing 2022 figure into their plans?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Well Lauriault and LeGac will make their international debut for Canada at 4CC! I wasn't sure their status so this is nice to see. I am so curious to see how an international panel will compare them to the other two Canadian entries (Soucisse/Firus and Sales/Wamsteeker).

screech

I was kind of surprised that Piper and Paul didn't get a hugely inflated nationals score to boost them heading into Beijing. The judges were actually fairly honest in their scoring, compared to other national championships going on.

I found the judging at Canadians to be mostly fair but conservative. I found the marks given at the another recent national championship to be ridiculous and probably not helpful to their skaters.
Another observation from Canadians, I continue to like Fabbri and Ayer more and more. It is so unfortunate that they has that last second fall in the RD. They should be sent out internationally as I think they are rising stars. I previously was not a fan of Sales and Wamsteeker but they have improved a lot in the last year but still think F & A should have place above them in the free dance- a fan's opinion.

irenemulindwairen

I found the judging at Canadians to be mostly fair but conservative. I found the marks given at the another recent national championship to be ridiculous and probably not helpful to their skaters.
Another observation from Canadians, I continue to like Fabbri and Ayer more and more. It is so unfortunate that they has that last second fall in the RD. They should be sent out internationally as I think they are rising stars. I previously was not a fan of Sales and Wamsteeker but they have improved a lot in the last year but still think F & A should have place above them in the free dance- a fan's opinion.
I just wish other Federations would follow this example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information