2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Does Skate Canada think they're in that much trouble for the Olympic Team Event bronze?

Before this, I was always thinking MT/M were going to be doing both segments as it was. This might change things a little.
:lol: this had absolutely zero to do with Skate Canada putting together a team or trying to add a team to get a medal in the Team Event.

I'm going to be curious how Eric does especially. He really looked like he was struggling through the final few seasons he had with Duhamel, tighter jumps and not as much ease as he once had. All the more power to think you can come back after 3 years of no serious training, but it'll be interesting if they do enough to even be considered for the Olympic team.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
:lol: this had absolutely zero to do with Skate Canada putting together a team or trying to add a team to get a medal in the Team Event.
I don't think Skate Canada put them together, but if Canadian Nationals gets political, and J/R get pushed over their pay grade, then they obviously have an agenda.

And as I posted earlier in another, if Skate Canada was worried about the TE, Pairs is not where I'd be looking to tinker, especially if that would take away an opportunity to give experience to their best younger team. I get why they weren't going to take any chances to lose gold in 2018 and didn't let anyone sub into the party and the podium, even if I disagree, but they are not going to be fighting for gold in 2022.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Japan has very good pairs , US has average but might even surpass Canada
Is the goal 2022 team medal or 2024 in home ice ?

The only succesful above older skater with multiple partner has been Savhcenko and she was gritty and was a stable jumper

Mme Bovary

Meagan was very honest and shared a lot of thoughts and feelings about her competitors, ISU and the Russian Federation the moment they were done in Pyeongchang. I wonder if that affected Eric's choice of partner. I also cannot believe he would decide to come back, I know he couldn't wait to end his career.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Here's a wild and crazy thought: maybe they don't want to contend for a world or Olympic medal, and that's not what they're planning for. Maybe they both just really enjoy doing pairs and want to continue performing or competing because that's what they like to do.

Last edited:

Vase

That was a sad post from Meagan. Glad to see a possible new team, but was hoping for one with possible more longevity. I feel like Skate Canada needs to fuel the younger athletes, having some veterans will benefit younger teams but looking to the next 4-8yrs Canada, they need more experience across the fields...possibly dance and men are doing ok.

Xsktrx

How often do we see retired champions in any sport take a year or two off and then find themselves surprised how quickly the fan base in general moves on and forgets. It’s that champions mindset that they can come back and again rise to the top. Patrick Chan comes to mind. I’m sure he believed he could do well at the world level when he returned but found out otherwise. A much less painful lesson than an aging boxer might suffer I suppose. For Radford I believe it’s all about regaining that spotlight and believing in his mind he can rise to the top again. No doubt he’s looked at Canada’s current pairs situation, particularly Kirsten and Mike and believes there is nothing they do that he and Vanessa can’t do as well or better. As for the second mark if I were him I’d be counting on the political/reputation aspect for help there offsetting any “new pair” growing pains. I suspect he figures they will be the best or at the very least second best pair in Canada regaining former glory and one last trip to the Olympics.

Xsktrx

If I was presented with the choice of skating with Meagan Duhamel and Vanessa James, it wouldn’t take me very long to decide who to make a comeback with. :shuffle:
The fact that he didn’t end up with Meagan suggests he didn’t want to go there for a comeback for whatever reasons he has. Had he asked her and she passed on the opportunity she wouldn’t have been so bitter.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Didn't Meagan just have a baby?
She had a baby, but it's been a while. She won Battle of the Blades with a hockey player and they even included a throw 3S that was effortless. I don't know if she would've wanted to come back to competition or not, but from everything I saw around 2018, I thought Radford was the one who was simply just done for a multitude of reasons-- first and foremost his body and his age. There was a post upthread about the spotlight and maybe Eric isn't getting the work that he expected. A lot of skaters go through this off-period lately where they don't have opportunities lined up and they really don't know what they want to do. Match that with uncertainty in touring with CV still looming..

pat c

Japan has very good pairs , US has average but might even surpass Canada
Is the goal 2022 team medal or 2024 in home ice ?

The only succesful above older skater with multiple partner has been Savhcenko and she was gritty and was a stable jumper

Artur Dmitriev?
Plus, she didn't have to lift anyone.

Dmitriev did and looked like it was going to kill hiim. ;)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Do we know that this is directed to skating or to perhaps something else going on in her life?

We don't know that she isn't.

Dust settle, speculation chill. And it doesn't have anything to do with us anyway. I'm sure that behind the scenes there is more going on than we know about.
What the heck is she upset about?

Orm Irian

There’s also Duhamel’s Instagram comments which would lend credence to this whole idea of a Radford/James pairing. I thought it was strange a couple of days ago when she made it clear she would not be doing shows with Radford in the future, but said she was still looking to skate in shows herself. And then a quote posted today that said “There’s something wrong with your character if opportunity controls your loyalty” :shuffle:
While I value Duhamel’s professional opinion on pairs skating, there’s enough of the bully about her public persona that I wouldn’t feel comfortable basing my assessment of anyone’s character and choices on hers.

And while there’s been a lot of speculation about Radford’s motivation for a comeback, let’s not forget that James’s competitive career was ended for her when her partner’s criminal activity came to light (I do not agree with how she handled that whole situation, but it remains the case). She might feel like she has some unfinished business to take care of too.

wickedwitch

Lubov posted a really nice message of support:
My heart goes out to you. At some point life starts bombarding us with challenges, one after one after one... All you want to do is to scream "Are you freaking done yet???" No answer will come but more obstacles. You never know how strong you are until you have no other choice but to be strong. Love you Meg ❤️

Jammers

Why would Radford or James try to make their comeback the year of the Olympics that seems rather foolhardy to me. They needed to come back no later then this season if they were serious. I can't see them going until 2026 they are both in their early to mid 30's.

Xsktrx

Why would Radford or James try to make their comeback the year of the Olympics that seems rather foolhardy to me. They needed to come back no later then this season if they were serious. I can't see them going until 2026 they are both in their early to mid 30's.
I suspect they don’t have long term plans but are rather hoping to click quickly and find enough magic to finish top 2 at Nationals and get the nod for the 2022 Olympics based on what they perceive is a weak (not my opinion) senior Canadian field.

litenkyckling

justice for Evelyn and Trennt who have proven themselves worthy of the second Olympic spot they gained for Canada - they may not be the best team out there but they have shown time and time again that they are willing to push themselves to improve every season. Compare their 2018 Skate America performance with their 2021 Worlds... huge improvement in so many areas. They've never taken their spot on the World's team for granted and have continually strived to be better. That and Eric choreographed for them, which can't be the best feeling.

It seems that Meagan wasn't treated well in this situation - but the entire decision doesn't seem necessary. In the end, MTM and WM will be equally as hurt by this.

Vanessa was happy to skate with Morgan until 2020 and so for me - I just can't look past that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information