2020...2021 Eurovision - Let's Go Dutch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
Only if there is enough people interested in doing it. You are the first person who has asked about it this year.

Welcome back by the way. :)
Well, at least in this I'm the first:D

Hopefully, there'll be people willing, having missed all the skating events (they're so nicely asynchronous with my schedule now, that I'm reduced to reading the result feeds only) I'm quite desperate for any competitive events.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
Erm, I'm sorry, I've just come across this 2017 release in my tracklist

I think this would've won many sympathies, considering it's 2017, it's Zaza Napoli, it's Russian entry and it's highly unorthodox.

I'm sorry but I think I'd rather not translate the lyrics. There're quite enough members here who speak Russian fluently.

The considerable part of the lyrics is being on the verge of being erghm controversial :)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I have too many favourites.. will need to narrow it down

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Ok my top ten, Albania, iceland, Ireland, Cyprus, Croatia,Israel, Portugal, Malta, Ukraine, Switzerland. In no particular order.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
The people at Eurovision have an answer to your question:

;)
I have decided this year I will wait until the competition to hear the songs and just be happy we have something, even if "live on tape" :) Shame they didn't try that last year when we might have actually had a chance to win :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I have decided this year I will wait until the competition to hear the songs and just be happy we have something, even if "live on tape" :) Shame they didn't try that last year when we might have actually had a chance to win :lol:
You’re not completely without hope this year. ;)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
As a rude 'Murikan who is only vaguely familiar with Eurovision - as in, I know Riverdance originated from a Eurovision break, and I know ABBA won it - can someone explain to me how Australia is allowed to compete? I mean, I get Israel because they participate in all European championships in spite of being located in Asia, but Australia's puzzling me.

BTW - hate on the Netflix movie all you like, I thought it was ridiculously funny in a Blades of Glory way and I sincerely love the song Husavik - it's really a gorgeous song and I was happy it was nominated for an Oscar.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
As a rude 'Murikan who is only vaguely familiar with Eurovision - as in, I know Riverdance originated from a Eurovision break, and I know ABBA won it - can someone explain to me how Australia is allowed to compete? I mean, I get Israel because they participate in all European championships in spite of being located in Asia, but Australia's puzzling me.
In order to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest, you have to be a member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). Despite its name countries in North Africa and the Middle East are also eligible to become members, hence Israel's longstanding participation in the event. Morocco previously appeared in 1980.

Eurovision has traditionally had a big following in Australia and the contest has been broadcast every year. For the 60th anniversary, the EBU decided to let Australia compete as a one-off event unless their entrant won. Australia didn't win, but have been invited back every year since.

TLDR: It's a TV show and the producers can decide what they want to do with it.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Best line in Montaigne's (Australia) song Technicolour - very Eurovision appropriate. It is high on the TripleJ playlist.

We got style and lasers, yeah

antmanb

I am so ridiculously excited, i've just read that Sandra Kim (along with 5 other previous winners) will be performing her winning song from 1986 as part of the interval show :cheer2: I loved her winning song in 1986, i remember being age 7 holding up a portable cassette recorder to my TV's speaker to record the song and wore out the tape of it :rofl:

I nearly always end a drunken night of Karaoke singing with J'aime La Vie. :shuffle:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I am so ridiculously excited, i've just read that Sandra Kim (along with 5 other previous winners) will be performing her winning song from 1986 as part of the interval show :cheer2: I loved her winning song in 1986, i remember being age 7 holding up a portable cassette recorder to my TV's speaker to record the song and wore out the tape of it :rofl:

I nearly always end a drunken night of Karaoke singing with J'aime La Vie. :shuffle:
AND SHE LIED ABOUT HER AGE! #Skandal

I think recording Eurovision must be a Euro gay child thing. I recorded the songs individually off the radio and I used to get annoyed if other members of my family spoke during the songs.

A couple of years ago I was talking about Eurovision with a Swedish friend and he did exactly the same thing as I did when he was growing up. :rofl:

antmanb

AND SHE LIED ABOUT HER AGE! #Skandal

I think recording Eurovision must be a Euro gay child thing. I recorded the songs individually off the radio and I used to get annoyed if other members of my family spoke during the songs.

A couple of years ago I was talking about Eurovision with a Swedish friend and he did exactly the same thing as I did when he was growing up. :rofl:

:rofl: I resemble that remark.

I recall very clearly on my recording that as Sandra Kim is holding the last note of the song my dad came in and I sigh/whine "daaaa-aaaaaaaad!" for ruining the recording :rofl:

If we're adding to the research, one of my closest gay male friends also recorded songs from Eurovision in the 80/90s :cheer2:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I recall very clearly on my recording that as Sandra Kim is holding the last note of the song my dad came in and I sigh/whine "daaaa-aaaaaaaad!" for ruining the recording :rofl:
You’ll be glad to know that the entire show is on YouTube now if you want to hold your tape recorder up to your laptop to recreate your childhood. ;)

Apart from Sandra Kim and the Irish entry (Luv Bug :rofl: ), I remember hearing the Yugoslav entry by Doris Dragovic at Euros 2008 and immediately recognised it. :shuffle:

antmanb

You’ll be glad to know that the entire show is on YouTube now if you want to hold your tape recorder up to your laptop to recreate your childhood. ;)

Apart from Sandra Kim and the Irish entry (Luv Bug :rofl: ), I remember hearing the Yugoslav entry by Doris Dragovic at Euros 2008 and immediately recognised it. :shuffle:
Oh my god I remember that so well - i can probably do most of Terry Wogan's commentary over the top of that word for word :lol:

Well that's it for work for today, i know what i'm doing for the rest of this afternoon :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information