2019 ISU Challenger Series

cohkaix

Asian Open CS has been moved from Taipei City, Taiwan to Dongguan, China as per the ISU website. Apparently reason is political :rolleyes:

Yes, this news has been reported in the local news in Taiwan. Basically the CT Skating Union just received the notification from ISU about cancelling the CS event originally scheduled in Taipei Arena. According to the statement from ISU (as reported in local news and also CTSU website), it is due to the current international affairs, Taiwan is not suitable for holding any international FS competitions. It's ISU's decision to cancel the event.

For the local CTSU, the news kind of coming out of nowhere as the preparation of the original scheduled event has been underway.

Ironically, the same event has been re-located to China, Dongguan (which is close to HK) and it will be organized by HK skating union.

Links to local news report (in Chinese):
https://udn.com/news/story/7005/3946831?from=udn-catebreaknews_ch2
https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20190723003915-260403?chdtv
https://sports.ettoday.net/news/1496872

Vagabond

Asian Open CS has been moved from Taipei City, Taiwan to Dongguan, China as per the ISU website. Apparently reason is political :rolleyes:
This raises a lot of questions, such as why the ISU is standing for this, why China never protested when Taipei bid for and was assigned Four Continents (a much more important competition) and whether it will prevent athletes from Chinese Taipei (aka Taiwan or the Republic of China) from participating in the 2022 Winter Olympics.

clairecloutier

Interesting that this comes a year after China rather suddenly declined to host a scheduled Grand Prix event (last year's CoC) and also, as I recall, a scheduled JGP (JGP Harbin, right?). Was the ISU cowed by that flexing of political muscle? Or am I reading too much into this??

Colonel Green

This raises a lot of questions, such as why the ISU is standing for this, why China never protested when Taipei bid for and was assigned Four Continents (a much more important competition) and whether it will prevent athletes from Chinese Taipei (aka Taiwan or the Republic of China) from participating in the 2022 Winter Olympics.
If you're hosting the Olympics you have to agree to take all IOC members.

A.H.Black

Sylvia

TBD
Yes, this news has been reported in the local news in Taiwan. Basically the CT Skating Union just received the notification from ISU about cancelling the CS event originally scheduled in Taipei Arena. According to the statement from ISU (as reported in local news and also CTSU website), it is due to the current international affairs, Taiwan is not suitable for holding any international FS competitions. It's ISU's decision to cancel the event.

For the local CTSU, the news kind of coming out of nowhere as the preparation of the original scheduled event has been underway.

Ironically, the same event has been re-located to China, Dongguan (which is close to HK) and it will be organized by HK skating union.

Article in English with headline Taiwan's right to host international figure skating event revoked: http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeas/201907230017.aspx

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
That's interesting. I wonder if someone is actually planning ahead this year. Usually there is a senior discount. I will have to contact them and ask about it. (I also wonder if the competitor list is worthy of advance tickets. hmmm.)

August 16 is the deadline for entries, so not too much longer to wait. I'm excited to be going again this year. I felt weird watching it online last year.

cohkaix

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

I feel for people in Taiwan, and actually it reminded me of the cancellation of the East Asian Youth Games in last July, which was originally planned to be held in Taiwan.

Tinami Amori

(my guess) "Chinese Taipei" is pushing to become independent "Taiwan", in various area/directions. DDP is getting stronger, soon to challenge current pres. Bid to UN as "independent member". Seeking to keep their own identity at major sports events. Plus current HK protests against mainland's extradition demands. Mainland China is probably cutting off as many independence factors for Taiwan as possible.
etc...

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Having an event in China that's organized by a Hong Kong skating club doesn't seem like a particularly politically savvy move either.

cohkaix

As a native Taiwanese, I was just trying to provide the information in an impartial way. And to be honest, I think it's just a big disappointment to see that ISU has been under influence simply because of unrelated political debates. I also feel sorry as I think CTSU has done a lot in the past decade to host ISU FS events and even championships, which also helped to promote FS in South Asia countries (hey, which was the federation to pick-up all the 4CC during the Olympic seasons in the past couple of years when no other Fed wanted to host it at the critical moments?). Up to this point, what happened at the moment seem to make the previous efforts meaningless. And the truth is, I cannot explain how ironic it felt when the host of the event will be changed to Hong Kong (yes, I'm aware that Dongguan is part of China and just close to HK).

jiejie

Yes, it does raise questions as to timing. It is undoubtedly political. There's nothing wrong with holding competitions in Taiwan, except the fan/audience base isn't there. But Dongguan is hardly a bastion of Chinese figure skating fandom.

China is currently doing lots of ugly things on a variety of fronts, now manifesting in sporting events. I won't go further down that road on this platform.

I strongly urge all skating federations of countries not named "China" to refrain from entering their skaters in this relocated Challenger Asian Open.

mikeko

Yes, it does raise questions as to timing. It is undoubtedly political. There's nothing wrong with holding competitions in Taiwan, except the fan/audience base isn't there. But Dongguan is hardly a bastion of Chinese figure skating fandom.

China is currently doing lots of ugly things on a variety of fronts, now manifesting in sporting events. I won't go further down that road on this platform.

I strongly urge all skating federations of countries not named "China" to refrain from entering their skaters in this relocated Challenger Asian Open.

Can Hong Kong Skating Union officials or any Hong Kongers safely enter the main land China? I fear for their safety. I am not sure if it is really possible to hold the competition this year.

Taiwan has hosted 4CC many times and WJC in 2017, and many Japanese fans love to visit the country. (I call it a country.) I've never seen a competition there myself, but been there once for vacation and want to visit it again. It's one of the safest places on earth with the kindest people. I am really angry at ISU now.

Last edited:

seabm7

Here is the official statement from ISU on the situation:

This contradicts what CTSU claims.

mikeko

This is a total BS. Can anyone start a petition to demand more explanations? Who are those Asian Federations present at the meeting last May? I also want to know why Dongguan is safer than Taipei. According to Wikipedia, you have to land at HKIA and take a ferry or coach to get to Dongguan.

Last edited:

Sonata

That statement from the ISU is very poorly written. I had to re-read the first paragraph 3 times. Methinks somebody was trying very hard not to tell the true story or offend anyone. Whoever wrote this really likes the word "suitable".

What a disappointment for the Taiwanese organizing committee. Taiwan has hosted multiple sports events in general and is a great place to visit!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Why would a federation (Chinese Taipei) put in a bid for an event, get the event, and then decide that it would be "preferable" to hold the event elsewhere? Especially when that federation has hosted international-level ISU events before.
IIRC in the past, when federations have asked for events to be relocated, it's because there was an earthquake or something else disastrous or unexpected.

Like @mikeko I would also like to know who the "Asian federations" at the meeting were. I'm also curious about the ISU "inviting the interested Asian members" to choose a new site. Does that mean there were federations that were not invited?

This may all have been an upfront and transparent process, but the lack of detail in the ISU statement does't make it sound that way.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As a native Taiwanese, I was just trying to provide the information in an impartial way. And to be honest, I think it's just a big disappointment to see that ISU has been under influence simply because of unrelated political debates. I also feel sorry as I think CTSU has done a lot in the past decade to host ISU FS events and even championships, which also helped to promote FS in South Asia countries (hey, which was the federation to pick-up all the 4CC during the Olympic seasons in the past couple of years when no other Fed wanted to host it at the critical moments?). Up to this point, what happened at the moment seem to make the previous efforts meaningless. And the truth is, I cannot explain how ironic it felt when the host of the event will be changed to Hong Kong (yes, I'm aware that Dongguan is part of China and just close to HK).

No need to apologize, @cohkaix, and thank you for posting all this information.

Sonata

How disappointing. As cohkaix pointed out, Taiwan hosted 4CC during two Olympic years, basically taking up the slack when other countries didn't want to host. Imagine being a CTSU employee, applying then preparing for this event, and getting the rug pulled from under you on the basis that some other site is more "suitable".

Dobre

It really doesn't make any sense from a skating perspective. Discouraging Chinese Tapei from hosting events--a federation that has voluntarily taken on 4CCs, Junior Worlds, and a Challenger event--hurts the ISU, 4CC federations, and Asian & 4CC skaters. It means federations that have been reluctant to host these events--that would include China & Korea as of only last season--will be expected to pick up the tab for more of them. And it removes an experienced host off the board.

It endangers the longevity of a brand new Challenger event, the only one available in Asia. An opportunity for athletes from developing Asian skating countries as well as those from more powerful Asian Federations to earn World-ranking points without having to pay to send those athletes all the way to Europe or North America. A fledgling event where attendance was limited initially but which one hopes will meet the needs of more Asian skaters as time continues and as the time period for the event has been shifted to during the regular season.

Boycotting the event would likewise hurt Asian skaters. (And conveniently not hurt skaters from those federations that already have a wealth of local & inexpensive small events to attend). I don't see anyone advocating boycotting Cup of China or the Olympics.

Anyway, it has seemed a bit too good to be true that Chinese Tapei has been willing to host so many hard-to-cover events with little to no financial reward. But too-good-to-be-true has been good for skating.

This is really a shame.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information