2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

nadioso

Why 2 TBD for Worlds. You would think Alison would be named automatically as she finished top 2 and has the TES mins.

It tells me that SC is still considering Daleman for Worlds especially if 4CC results are a disaster.

As for JW, we must not forget Carle who beat Schizas at a junior B. Carle also has a consistent triple-triple as well. I have a feeling these 2 will be sent to a junior B rematch.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Carle seemed pretty beat up by the end of YOG. She may need rest now rather than a junior worlds skate off.

Erin

Banned Member
I don’t think the two TBDs is necessarily about sending Gabby. Schumacher has had some ups and downs this season including a disastrous JGP in France so I’m guessing Skate Canada is taking a wait and see with her. Hopefully also sending Schizas to somewhere like Bavarian Open to get world mins to give themselves another option.

euterpe

I don’t think the two TBDs is necessarily about sending Gabby. Schumacher has had some ups and downs this season including a disastrous JGP in France so I’m guessing Skate Canada is taking a wait and see with her. Hopefully also sending Schizas to somewhere like Bavarian Open to get world mins to give themselves another option.

Schizas' SP is 3t+2t, 3lo, 2a. The only one with a 3t+2t combination to make the cut for the Worlds 2019 SP was Isadora Williams, and her solo triple was 3z, not 3lo. Isadora has been competing as a senior since 2013, and even made the Olympics so she is known to ISU judges. Schizas is a complete unknown.

JW is a better option for Schizas, as she has the JW minimums.

honey

Schizas' SP is 3t+2t, 3lo, 2a. The only one with a 3t+2t combination to make the cut for the Worlds SP was Isadora Williams, and her solo triple was 3z, not 3lo. Isadora has been competing as a senior since 2013, and even made the Olympics so she is known to ISU judges. Schizas is a complete unknown.

The intended combination was a 3T+3T, which she can do very well. She isn't planning a triple-double combo. I think a clean short from her with this combo and a nice loop would be enough to get past the SP.

But I think this discussion is irrelevant either way as she is much more likely to be assigned to Junior Worlds this year IMO.

Sonata

Oh, Skate Canada. Waiting for 4CC judges to do their dirty work.

First time I see Alison Schumacher and I loooved her skating. It's so well rounded.

I'm aware Skate Canada is trying to keep 2 women's spots for next year. But I think Skate Canada often sends the wrong message to its skaters by holding them back e.g., Amelie Lacoste, Alaine Chartrand. I can't imagine how it feels to know that you've delivered at Nationals, but Skate Canada prefers someone else. Then they begrudgingly pick you after the favoured skater doesn't deliver at 4CC. I wonder what a boost of confidence would do if Skate Canada categorically picked someone instead of sending mixed messages. And oftentimes, Skate Canada's 4CC wishes don't come true anyways. Or that time they forced someone out (Liam Firus) and it backfired.

Colonel Green

Oh, Skate Canada. Waiting for 4CC judges to do their dirty work.
In the ladies division, naming the World team immediately after Nationals doesn't make much sense since, among other things, the champion doesn't have senior World minimums so they have to give her the chance to get them.

I don't think there's any particular favouritism at play in the senior ladies. It's just the realities of trying to figure out what to do with a weak field of options.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Agree, every single one of their ladies skaters either doesn't have a ISU SB or is outside of the top 50. Sorta makes sense to see how 4CC goes. Also, sending Madeline to a senior B this spring hurts nobody and only makes sense. Emma Bulawka should also be sent out as a senior. At least give them a chance to get them minimums like several skaters who finished below them got...

Now in men, I'd send Roman to Worlds regardless of 4CC. I get that Nam absolutely destroyed Roman at Skate Canada this season, so I understand the wait, but you really shouldn't mess with the national champ, as long as they have the Worlds minimums. A win is a win. And he does have potential to do well.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
If either had beat Emily, who landed two triples lutzes (something Larkyn has never done) that would have been highway robbery.

I didn’t say she win the title my love. I said she could be on the podium. I mean nothing there was barely over 100 points and that’s with nationals inflation love.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Gone are the days when Four Continents was just a glorified Senior B. It sounds like the event is going to be quite tense for skaters and couples not immediately named to the world team. A lot is going to hinge on skating a strong short program, too.

Sonata

In the ladies division, naming the World team immediately after Nationals doesn't make much sense since, among other things, the champion doesn't have senior World minimums so they have to give her the chance to get them.

I don't think there's any particular favouritism at play in the senior ladies. It's just the realities of trying to figure out what to do with a weak field of options.

Hmm well I'm re-thinking this. I get your point. There might not be favouritism this time, but there are some cases that really annoyed me e.g., trying to send Phaneuf to worlds by having a show-down at 4CC and she still came up short. Come to think of it, sending Robinson instead of Phaneuf was a bad decision too that had consequences for years. I think there's a strong argument that Schumacher be named now so she can use 4CC as a practice run to get nerves out before worlds. Pineault is a good skater and I get that worlds is in her hometown, which would be cool. But she didn't and hasn't ever medalled at senior Canadians.

If Skate Canada keeps relying on 4CC and regularly has 1 spot, there could be a situation where the national champion (whoever that might be in whatever year) may never go to worlds. It's an interesting trend.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think it's probably a good thing to decide which Canadian Ladies will go to Montreal based on how they perform at Four Continents.

Other than Alicia Pineault in 2018, Bausback and Schumacher haven't been to a senior ISU International Championship event like Four Continents, and Schumacher was dinged for under-rotating three of her jumping passes in the free skate.

So, she will likely be the biggest question mark in Seoul.

Colonel Green

Alison is more consistent with her jumps than Alicia, I would say, so even with a 4CC skateoff I think she'd be favoured (if Alicia performed to her potential, she'd be ahead for sure, though).

fsfann

I don't see the big deal. If Bausback gets her minimums and skates well at 4CC, then she goes... If she doesn't get her minimums, then they need to send someone else.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Have Bausback, Pineault, or Schumacher skated clean competitions with 3 triple shorts programs and 7 triple free skates?

Moving on to the World Championships, Team Canada needs to be prepared for the scenario that they will:

a) Lose one spot for 2021 if their ladies don't meet the magic total of 28 points.
b) One of their skaters doesn't make the free skating final.
c) Both of their skaters don't make the free skating final.

This year the discipline is filled with skaters who are technically strong, mentally tough, or both.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
At Warsaw Cup, Emily and Alison finished very close to Tornaghi and Safonova, and ahead of Saarinen. That puts approximately 6 Euros ladies above them. Presumably 3 JPN, 2 USA, and 2 KOR will also slot ahead. So 14th and 15th is roughly where they could finish if they stay in line with their Warsaw skates. Hopefully, 4cc goes well and they get a little boost from their medals at Nationals, and then we can see where things stack up vs. Euros more clearly...

Reactions: mag

Foolhardy Ham Lint

At Warsaw Cup, Emily and Alison finished very close to Tornaghi and Safonova, and ahead of Saarinen. That puts approximately 6 Euros ladies above them. Presumably 3 JPN, 2 USA, and 2 KOR will also slot ahead. So 14th and 15th is roughly where they could finish if they stay in line with their Warsaw skates. Hopefully, 4cc goes well and they get a little boost from their medals at Nationals, and then we can see where things stack up vs. Euros more clearly...

That is actually quite encouraging to know. If whomever goes skates their absolute best, Team Canada is in with a shot.

Seerek

We'll see how Paganini, Schott, Meite, Ryabova, Urushadze etc. do this week at Europeans. Long program cut is probably the more realistic goal.

Dobre

At Warsaw Cup, Emily and Alison finished very close to Tornaghi and Safonova, and ahead of Saarinen. That puts approximately 6 Euros ladies above them.

Per the SB list, one should also take into account China & I wouldn't count out Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information