2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

screech

Do we think Skate Canada will give Gabby a chance? Doe Emily and Alison have the TES minimums?
If they have them, I don't see them keeping Emily from going to Worlds, but it will be interesting to see what they do with the second spot.

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to the all new podium!

GOLD Emily Bausback 175.54 4 1 (116.64 FS w/ 5 triples & all level 4s)
SILVER Alison Schumacher 168.94 6 2 (112.99 FS)
BRONZE Madeline Schizas 168.07 2 3 (107.41 FS)

@danafan compiled the following info in the 2020 Canadians forum (I've added 2020 nationals placements below):

Women eligible for senior worlds (30/51 TES)* and also 4CC (23/40 TES):

Alison Schumacher S2
Alicia Pineault S4
Veronik Mallet S7
Gabrielle Daleman S8

Women eligible for 4CC only:

Emily Bausback S1 (needs worlds TES in short)
Hannah Dawson S12 (needs worlds TES in both segments)
Aurora Cotop WD after SP (needs worlds TES in short)

*Cotop and Bausback were eligible before the scores were raised.

Michelle Long S5 has the 4CC minimum in the free only (had the worlds one before it was raised).

Women eligible for junior worlds (23/38 in a junior international):
Kaiya Ruiter J1
Emily Bausback S1
Alison Schumacher S2
Madeline Schizas S3 (Sylvia's added comment: I hope she gets sent to Tallinn with Ruiter)
Emma Bulawka S6
Amelia Orzel S9
Hannah Dawson S12
Catherine Carle (competed at YOG and not nationals)
Aurora Cotop (WD after senior SP at nationals)
Olivia Gran (WD from senior at nationals)

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Do we think Skate Canada will give Gabby a chance? Doe Emily and Alison have the TES minimums?
If they have them, I don't see them keeping Emily from going to Worlds, but it will be interesting to see what they do with the second spot.
Alison has them; Emily has 4CC minimums and the Worlds FS minimum. Emily can try to get the SP minimum at 4CC.

I've in the past said that Skate Canada will always send Daleman, but at this point, it's clear that she needs time off if she's ever going to really recover.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Skate Canada may use Four Continents to decide the second spot.

Given her poor results this season, I can't see Gabby being selected.

Bausback skated a solid event at the CS Warsaw Cup, so Alison Schumacher and Alicia Pineault might join Bausback in Seoul.

mag

Skate Canada may use Four Continents to decide the second spot.

Given her poor results this season, I can't see Gabby being selected.

Bausback skated a solid event at the CS Warsaw Cup, so Alison Schumacher and Alicia Pineault might join Bausback in Seoul.
[/QUOTEnever mind

Never mind. I was not reading for comprehension lol

Jammers

The best thing for Canada and Gabby right now is if she's left off the team. It's becoming a habit for Skate Canada to drag her out to try to save spots but at this point she needs to shut it down for the season and start looking to the future with these younger girls. Pushing these girls to have to get better without having to rely on Gabby is the only way Canada can build for the future. Even if Gabby continues to Beijing after that she most likely will call it quits so start building for the post Olympics now and not later.

Sonata

I have to say, I really enjoyed watching the medallists’ free skates. They have great posture and edges and hold their positions. It reminded me of when I used to watch more of the Canadian ladies back in the early 90s, albeit with much harder technical content. It actually surprised me to hear their ages because they skate with maturity.

Erin

Banned Member
It's becoming a habit for Skate Canada to drag her out to try to save spots

They did it once. I’m not sure how that’s a habit. If they were to do it again this year, then you could call it a habit. I feel like that is unlikely though.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
How come I've never heard of Madeline before???

I think she's my favorite of the three who are on the podium… I kind of think she should be in at least second

And can someone refresh my Bailey's? Who of all of these ladies are eligible as far as age to go to senior worlds.

And are Larkyn and Alaine officially done?

Colonel Green

Basically no international experience.

And can someone refresh my Bailey's? Who of all of these ladies are eligible as far as age to go to senior worlds.
Everyone on or near the podium is age-eligible.

And are Larkyn and Alaine officially done?
Larkyn officially retired; Alaine hasn't, but nobody is expecting her to come back.

Sylvia

TBD
Schizas won the junior national silver medal last season and has only competed once internationally, getting her ISU Junior Worlds minimums at Volvo Open Cup in Latvia (5th place) this past November: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106351.htm
I've been following her progress all season ever since she won the Skate Milwaukee junior ladies' event in July 2019 - here's her clean SP with 3T+3T, 3Lo & 2A from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCXV5Fdr_fE

Who of all of these ladies are eligible as far as age to go to senior worlds.
Refer to post #602 above.

ETA link to Skate Canada's 2020 ISU Championships selection criteria document: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2020-ISU-Championship-Selection-Criteria.pdf

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
^^^ thank you @Colonel Green and Miss @Sylvia

I know it's not saying much but both of them could've been on the podium here had they skated and had Larkyn not retired.

But like other are saying I guess need to look to the future and these 17-year-olds are that. So with a couple years of development who knows where they could be

@Sylvia how come Madeline was not seen on the junior Grand Prix ??

Also is there a chance she could get sent to 4 CC

Colonel Green

@Sylvia how come Madeline was not seen on the junior Grand Prix ??

Also is there a chance she could get sent to 4 CC
To the former, Skate Canada only had six JGP spots this year and four of them went to Kaiya and Alison, so that only left two to distribute to others.

To the latter, unfortunately no, she doesn't have senior minimums and it's too late to get them in time for 4CC.

honey

I see a lot of potential in Madeline Schizas. The speed on the landing of her jumps should lend itself nicely to triple triples and she's got great height as well. I'm very impressed that with little experience and sitting in medal contention she was able to hold herself together quite well today. She didn't seem fazed by the moment at all.

Colonel Green

So, what's next for Gabby? What should she do to get back on track?
None of us know what her BTS situation is really like, but if her health (pneumonia aside) is on an upward trajectory, then she just needs time.

Take things slow over the next month or two, don’t strain anything, and start preparing to hopefully have a more normal season next year.

ChiquitaBanana

Schizas clearly has the good since last year. I was pointing her out this summer as one to watch. She is so powerful with delicate . It was clear to me that she should have been sent to a jpg event. There we go, getting a medal at Nationals but with so little intl experience. 😳

Sylvia

TBD

4CC:
Emily Bausback
Alison Schumacher
Alicia Pineault

Junior Worlds:
Kaiya Ruiter
TBD

Worlds:
TBD*
TBD*

*To be determined after the 2020 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It’s all down to Bausback getting the minimum, I would say. If she gets the worlds minimum at 4CC, they will name her to worlds and and Schizas to Junior Worlds. If not, I expect they will name Bausback to junior worlds.

I think Schumacher should be going to worlds either way, but I bet they’re thinking they’ll wait and see how she handles 4CC.

Catherine M

If Bausback doesn't make the min score at 4CC (i think she will but you never know), is there a random comp in Europe she can still go to and get the min score in time for Montreal!? Guess I should go check the ISU calendar

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information