2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Based on JGP assignments, so far the Youth Olympics spot is between Orzel and Gran as I don't think anyone else is age eligible. Does anyone have a date of birth for Ruitier? She doesn't have an ISU bio yet, but I gather from previous posts she's younger.

Sylvia

TBD
Kaiya Ruiter was 12 when she won the 2019 Novice title and turned 13 before July 1 (in time for JGP this year) so she should be old enough for YOG?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Kaiya Ruiter was 12 when she won the 2019 Novice title and turned 13 before July 1 (in time for JGP this year) so she should be old enough for YOG?

Wouldn't that make her born in 2006? The age requirement for YOG is born between 2003-2005.

Sylvia

TBD
I forgot YOG has such a narrow window. :slinkaway

ETA:
Top summer scores
JUNIOR LADIES
Kayla Ruiter 149
Alexa Matveev 137
Amelia Orzel 135
(no other scores over 130 thus far?)
2019 Junior silver medalist Madeline Schizas (on the NextGen team) won the Skate Milwaukee Junior Ladies event back in July with a total score of 141.38 (1st in SP with 55.10, 3rd in FS with 86.28).

Schizas had the highest SP score (57.33) among the 3 Junior SP groups at Skate Ontario North York on Thursday, landing 3T+3T (+3 from all the judges), 3Lo & 2A with level 4s on all 3 spins. She has an ISU bio with a Feb. 14,.2003 date of birth listed.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I managed to watch Schizas' free skate. She fell on her triple flip but landed a lot of other stuff and she enters the jumps with great speed. Too bad the JGP spots are full.

Hopefully Skate Canada will send junior skaters to the Golden Bear competition again this year.

Orzel and Catherine Carle both had good skates today also (Orzel is JGP bound and Carle has the jr worlds minimums from last season).

There are definitely a ton of worthy contenders for the junior worlds spots this year! Hopefully the skaters making their international debuts this season will get the required TES minimums.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top summer scores

SENIOR LADIES
Aurora Cotop 167
Emily Bausback 161
Kim Decelles 158
Hannah Dawson 157
Michelle Long 154
Alicia Pineault 152
Sarah-Maude Blanchard 152 (jr score)
Sarah Tamura 146
Amanda Tobin 143
Olivia Farrow 140
Viviane Maltais 140
Olivia Gran 135 (jr score)
Allison Schumacher 134 (jr score)
Veronik Mallet 134
Valerie Giroux 133
Beatrice Lavoie-Leonard 132
Katherine Medland Spence 131

TBD: Daleman

JUNIOR LADIES
Madeline Schizas 152
Kaiya Ruiter 149
Amelia Orzel 142
Alexa Matveev 137
Catherine Carle 137
Michelle Rivest 131
Mia-Catherine Lussier 130

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Aurora's free skate from the BC/Yukon Summer Skate:

Rotating the 3Lz in competition is clearly a mental thing she's going to be working through. Much easier to appreciate Aurora's performance quality here, though, when she's not taking painful-looking falls. Headed in the right direction.

Sylvia

TBD
I managed to watch Schizas' free skate. She fell on her triple flip but landed a lot of other stuff and she enters the jumps with great speed. Too bad the JGP spots are full.

Hopefully Skate Canada will send junior skaters to the Golden Bear competition again this year.
Skate Ontario North York Junior Women FS group 3 video from last night (Madeline Schizas is the final skater at 1:47): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7gc6nb
(What I posted last night in the Kiss & Cry section) Schizas skated expressively to Miss Saigon, including "I Still Believe" (vocal) in the second half. Her jumps were 3F fall, 2A+3T with good height, 2A+2T+2Lo, 3Lo+2T, 3T (lean in the air but saved), 3Lo, 2S. Announced scores were 94.86 FS, 152.19 so she had the highest combined score of the 3 groups. I really hope Skate Canada will give her the opportunity to make her international debut this fall even though she's not trying 3Lz yet. Link to her group's FS protocols: https://skateontario.org/results/19S2/19S2JuniorWomenGroup3FPDRO.pdf
Link to group 2's FS protocols (A. Orzel and C. Carle): https://skateontario.org/results/19S2/19S2JuniorWomenGroup2FPDRO.pdf
There were glitches in the Rink 2 live stream yesterday and only the second half of Amelia's FS + replays made it into this archived video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7gc257

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Wow I don't think I've ever been this excited to see someone make their JGP debut. If Ruiter can duplicate this kind of skate, wow. She'll get noticed!

RoseRed

So after the Junior Women’s short at BC Summerskate, Emily Millard is once again ahead of Vienna Harwood. Emily is 2nd, Vienna is 8th. Emily landed a clean 3lz+2lo with + GOE and a clean 3lo. Surely she will now be placed on the next gen team?

I don't know that they add people after the initial announcement. They didn't add any dance teams last year, though multiple of the new teams were doing very well, earning 2 JGP spots, etc.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
@ BC/YK Junior Ladies

1 Emily Bausback 159.99
2 Kaiya Ruiter 158.38 (new summer high score)
3 Emily Millard 144.35 (new summer high score)
Rinka Watanabe 140.92
Emma Bulawka 136.73 (new summer high score)
Olivia Gran 134.15
Vienna Harwood 131.32 (new summer high score)

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Kaiya's awesome free skate from the BC/Yukon summer competition:

I really like Kaiya, lots of speed, fast rotations, great spins, deeper edges than last year.
I really like Schizas too. Explosive jumps, speed. These two are to watch for the next cycle.

mag

I think there may be feeling that this is a year of great opportunity for those who can step up to the plate. With Gabby’s shakey season last year, Alaine and Larkyn’s retirement there is a big opening at the top. Will be exciting to see how the season unfolds.

emilieh

Based on JGP assignments, so far the Youth Olympics spot is between Orzel and Gran as I don't think anyone else is age eligible. Does anyone have a date of birth for Ruitier? She doesn't have an ISU bio yet, but I gather from previous posts she's younger.

5/13/06 for Ruiter's birth date

Tinami Amori

I think there may be feeling that this is a year of great opportunity for those who can step up to the plate.
Which lady do you think it can be? The top prospects in Canadian Ladies singles have pretty much skated already at the last events few events, and none passed a 160 pts total, and at Mento's were beaten by Kurakova with a huge lead (given that Kurakova was not even in top 10 back in Russia).

mag

Which lady do you think it can be? The top prospects in Canadian Ladies singles have pretty much skated already at the last events few events, and none passed a 160 pts total, and at Mento's were beaten by Kurakova with a huge lead (given that Kurakova was not even in top 10 back in Russia).

I was referring to a great opportunity in Canada. To make the senior national team, to be on the podium at nationals, to get noticed by SC, to get international assignments. I don’t think any of them are thinking they will be on the World’s podium this year. Skating is, for most, a marathon, not a sprint.

Zazy

She's the silver medalist from nationals and has outscored both Gran and Orzel this summer. I think she deserves a JGP.

Vase

She's the silver medalist from nationals and has outscored both Gran and Orzel this summer. I think she deserves a JGP.

I agree, her jumps are on track and she’s maybe only 5ft tall but I love the power of her jumps. She’s one to watch out for and I think she deserved a spot on the JGP.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

Yeah it's too bad she won't get a JGP (unless Skate Canada removes one of the second assignments from Schumacher or Ruiter, which seems unlikely as they've already been posted). I know it can be difficult for the federations to submit names by a certain date before everyone has skated a summer competition or two. I hope everyone will skate well on the JGP. I can see why Gran is getting benefit of the doubt as a former Canadian jr champion who is YOG eligible and placed well at nationals.

Hopefully, some skaters without JGP assignments will get sent to the Golden Bear competition again as they did the past two seasons.

I'm actually excited about the potential junior worlds team - the first time since 2015 there will be two entries.

In addition to Schizas, I'm really hoping to see Decelles and Blanchard with assignments. And I still wondering who gets the Skate Canada TBD and it they will announce it before the first senior internationals are held.

RoseRed

They also evaluated all of them at the Next Gen camp, didn't they? Perhaps that was part of the decision for the spots that came out early, before most of the summer comps.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So after the Junior Women’s short at BC Summerskate, Emily Millard is once again ahead of Vienna Harwood. Emily is 2nd, Vienna is 8th. Emily landed a clean 3lz+2lo with + GOE and a clean 3lo. Surely she will now be placed on the next gen team?

I don't know that they add people after the initial announcement. They didn't add any dance teams last year, though multiple of the new teams were doing very well, earning 2 JGP spots, etc.

From the above link (emphasis mine):

Stage 3 – During the Summer Series, all skaters competing in the Junior category will be monitored. Following these competitions, additional skaters may be added to the NextGen Team and either a Jr Grand Prix and/or Jr. International competition.

They also evaluated all of them at the Next Gen camp, didn't they? Perhaps that was part of the decision for the spots that came out early, before most of the summer comps.

Yes, good point (see stages 1 and 2 in the link above).

Assigning skaters to international competitions isn't an exact science and IMO there are more deserving skaters than JGP spots this year in ladies. It's too bad they aren't having a junior competition at Autumn Classic anymore.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Unfortunately Schumacher had probably the worst SP in her career today in France :( I hope she skates better in the free. And I wonder if she will get her second assignment (shared via Skate Canada on instagram but not on their international assignments page yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information