2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I didn't get to see it but Schumacher is upping her tech content this year. At Minto the protocol shows she did a triple flip triple toe (toe was UR). The loop was UR too. But it's nice to see her pushing the tech as she gets ready for her first JGP.

Nothing great in the senior women short at Minto so far. Dawson fell on a triple lutz and stepped out of her triple toe triple toe. I'm guessing she is not planning for JGPs this year as she is competing senior and not doing the loop in the short.

I didn't get to see this either but in one of the other junior groups, Alexa Matveev scored 56 something and landed triple sal triple toe and triple loop for +GOE.

euterpe

Who is Ekaterina Kurakova, the winner of the Senior ladies SP at Minto? She was spectacular, landing an easy 3z+3t, 3lo, 2a. She skated to ballet music and was truly 'one with the music'. Is she one of Brian Orser's international students?

ronnie_f

Yes. She's a Russian lady who competes for Poland now.

Supposedly she's landing quads in training but I haven't seen any of that so it's just rinkside gossip for now. A talented girl for sure, but then again, Russia is like a factory of singles skaters so it's not exactly surprising

Enchanted

Has she been released by the Russian Fed? She didn’t represent Poland in this competition. It was mentioned she was representing the Cricket Club.

RoseRed

Has she been released by the Russian Fed? She didn’t represent Poland in this competition. It was mentioned she was representing the Cricket Club.
That's pretty typical at summer comps, when the skater has a Canadian club. The Japanese jr dance team was also listed as representing TCSCC at this event.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I captured some of the Minto stream. Kim Decelles had a nice comeback in the free: https://youtu.be/lsn7RPgPDbs

And Hannah Dawson had the best showing of the Canadians at Minto: https://youtu.be/05gKfEQoX6E

I'm curious to see who gets assigned to JGP Lake Placid (should be posted on the ISU site next week). Dawson is listed as a sub for JGP 1 but since she's skating in senior summer events, I think she's more likely to get a senior event - maybe even Skate Canada.

nadioso

I captured some of the Minto stream. Kim Decelles had a nice comeback in the free: https://youtu.be/lsn7RPgPDbs

And Hannah Dawson had the best showing of the Canadians at Minto: https://youtu.be/05gKfEQoX6E

I'm curious to see who gets assigned to JGP Lake Placid (should be posted on the ISU site next week). Dawson is listed as a sub for JGP 1 but since she's skating in senior summer events, I think she's more likely to get a senior event - maybe even Skate Canada.

I never saw Hannah Dawson getting a JGP this year. She is in her last season where she can compete junior internationally and she already has the JGP minimums. Unless she had a good chance of making the JGPF , JGP assignments would do little for her. It is better for her to do senior B and maybe Skate Canada if she does well in the senior B.

I have a feeling Schumacher will not be getting either Lake Placid or Russia this year. She is obviously serious about making the JGPF this year and going to either of those places would hurt her chances facing even more skaters from the countries with depth ( being Russia , Japan , US and South Korea ).

A non next-genner ( I know she is nextgen in pairs but not in ladies ) who stepped up in the FS in junior ladies is Brooke Mcintosh. She landed 5 clean trriples in the FS inlcuding loop and 3T-3T combo. That does not include a fully rotated flip that she fell on. She struggled in the SP so she only finished 4th in her group ( group 1 ).

Last edited:

RoseRed

I don't think the point of JGP assignments for any of our ladies right now is making the JGPF. The competition is so high. The point is mainly competition experience, which they all need. I'm fine with Hannah not doing the JGP, but it's not like it would have been pointless to send her to one (and I think she had a good chance of getting at least one).

Rock2

I feel like Kim will be a poor man's Jennifer Robinson and Dawson will be our next Austman in some respects.

They along with 5-6 others will compete for top 5 at nationals. Mix and match -- all about the same level.
It's nice to see elements coming to both and speed not looking horrible. But both have miles to go to break down barriers between themselves and judges/audience (and I'm going based on past seasons in addition to early season comps like this.). Skating to very generic Quebec/Canadian lady long programs won't help their branding. Step back for Hannah specifically.

If I was a betting man I would slot Mallet into SC if she has a 3/3 ready along with something better than a loop. QC summer comp will tell us a lot. Kelowna isn't a big flying leap from Vegas so skating in back to back weeks is doable.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
What barriers? Hannah is already getting praised for her presentation and charisma. Yes, I'm biased because I'm a fan, but it's not just me. The reactions to her I've seen are pretty much unanimous. It's the tech she needs to get control of; she's already got the connection with audiences and judges.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So Skate Canada has gone with experience for the first two JGP assignments - it's the third season for both Schumacher and Bausback. Bausback is entered in senior at the Wild Rose event this weekend. Gran (among others) are entered in junior. Gran was attempting triple lutz triple toe last season so I'm curious to see how she does, especially as she's one of the skaters age eligible for the Youth Olympics.

honey

I’ve noticed a few lower ranked names I’m used to seeing are missing from the summer comp lists as well...Jane Grey, Maysie Polizianni, Aislinn Ganci. I’m sure there’s others. The senior women’s fields are a little thinner than usual at some of the events.

Rock2

I see some similarities on the PCS sides, but Dawson has a 3/3, something Austman never mastered.

Wasn't lining up the elements for this comparison. Was more about the general portrayal of a statuesque woman who can be a striking presence on the ice, but never fully develops the competitive instincts to take the talent as far as she could.

Now, Dawson is still young so yeah there's a lot of opportunity for improvement; still her past history is thus far pointing to that destination. Let's hope she has a good year.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
The team of Cotop and Walia has always had me expecting great things. While I’m not expecting Osmond level success this Olympic cycle I believe Aurora is on her way to being Canada’s undisputed top female skater for the 2022 Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information