2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So I was waiting for the grand prix announcement to post the new thread.

Gabby Daleman assigned to Skate Canada and Cup of China.
Veronik Mallet was assigned to Skate America (she was only 57th on the season best list so she's quite lucky to get this)
Aurora Cotop was assigned to Skate Canada.

There is a TBD to Skate Canada.

So nothing for Alaine Chartrand, and based on her season best standing (higher than Mallet), I can only guess she is taking the season off or retiring :( I can't imagine Skate Canada just snubbing her, considering she is the national champion. Regardless I'm sad and I will try to remember some of her great performances (junior worlds 2014 long program is probably my favourite, along with her Cup of Russia short program in 2015 and her Canadian Championships free in 2016).

Skate Canada published their criteria for senior international assignments: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/u...r-Challenger-and-International-Events-1-1.pdf

Says priority will be for skaters on the grand prix, and based on the international required score, Pineault and Schumacher met it (as well as Chartrand and Austman, the latter officially retired). And only the top 5 from nationals met the domestic score.

Interesting that Sarah-Maude Blanchard is competing junior at Quebec Summer Skate, so she probably hopes to go back to the JGP this year. It will be interesting to see what they do with Schumacher and other next gen skaters (who are senior age eligible) this season.

barbarafan

What is going on with junior champion Hannah Dawson? She is registered in senior for the Quebec summer competition.
What is going on with junior champion Hannah Dawson? She is registered in senior for the Quebec summer competition.
Does she have her senior mins....Skate Canada was really lax last yr.(or calculated) and girls who should have gone to internationals did not.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I think Dawson has one more year of ISU jr eligibility but maybe she's hoping to get a senior international. She's only skated internationally as a junior.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I wouldn't be surprised if Hannah stayed junior, Quebec competition aside. Her presentation is great and she's going for those 3-3s, but she needs to work on consistency.

coppertop1

I was surprised to see Aurora get a GP, but I'm happy she is. She definitely has potential, so get her out there, to international competitions and she will keep improving. I'm surprised to see Alaine not get Skate Canada. It does make me wonder.

Colonel Green

I'm not surprised at Aurora getting a Grand Prix -- she won silver last season, she's got one of the few 3-3s in our ladies' pool, Skate Canada somehow managed to get Veronik a berth at SkAm, and Ravi no doubt has some weight with the fed after all Kaetlyn's success.

nadioso

I wouldn't be surprised if Hannah stayed junior, Quebec competition aside. Her presentation is great and she's going for those 3-3s, but she needs to work on consistency.

Usually SC wants their JGP bound skaters to be skating junior in summer comps even if they plan to compete senior at nationals.

So I would assume that Hannah is focusing on getting a senior B to get the senior minimums.

As Hannah has only one year of junior left internationally she already has the minimums ( she did a JGP last year ) for JW should SC want to send her to JW. Unless she was a candidate for making JGPF ( I don't think she is up there ) competing junior does not make sense..

coppertop1

I just hope Gabby has a good season for once. She needs to get her health and confidence back. It would be great if she tried a quad, but that's not what matters. She just needs to be healthy.nI hope they give Schumacher a senior B. Why not give her a chance to earn the minimum TES for Worlds and 4CC? It can't hurt. No word on social media about Chartrand, surely Skate Canada would announce her retirement.

Colonel Green

No word on social media about Chartrand, surely Skate Canada would announce her retirement.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Skate Canada is good about publicizing when skaters are retiring or even just withdrawing from active competition, so the lack of any such notice here probably indicates something else is going on.

RoseRed

Or maybe they just didn't fight for Alaine to get a spot this year? It's not like she followed up Nationals with strong skates (4CCs, WC and WTT all under 150 total points). I could understand if they want to get her to earn it in the summer. Alaine's SB is a bit higher than Veronik's, and obviously she did better at Nationals, but Vero beat her by 30+ points at 4CCs, so it's not that unreasonable.

And of course Aurora would have priority over Alaine - she's much younger and has potential.

Dobre

Or maybe they just didn't fight for Alaine to get a spot this year?

You don't have to fight to give your National Champion a spot. You just give it to her. Maybe you give it to her along with giving one to someone else or two someones else, but really . . . She helped earn the second spot at Worlds as well. Something's up.

RoseRed

You don't have to fight to give your National Champion a spot. You just give it to her. Maybe you give it to her along with giving one to someone else or two someones else, but really . . . She helped earn the second spot at Worlds as well. Something's up.
I meant getting her a non host spot, as they have Veronik.

Anyways, I kind of expected this SC line-up. Regardless of Nationals, Gabby is the top lady, so she's there. THen, if they wanted to be able to have a TBD, they could only list one of Aurora and Alaine initially. Aurora's Nats silver + youth and potential obviously trumps Alaine's Nats gold (as it should imo). They could have just given Alaine the 3rd spot instead of it being TBD, but it's generally a good thing to leave a TBD and see how the summer goes.

Like I said before, Alaine followed Nats up with 3 straight competitions under 150 points. Despite the commendable fact that she helped get 2 spots at Worlds, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence. If she does well in summer comps, then they'll obviously give her the spot. But if she goes out and does more ~147 point skates, and someone like Alicia Pineault looks good...

coppertop1

I meant getting her a non host spot, as they have Veronik.

Anyways, I kind of expected this SC line-up. Regardless of Nationals, Gabby is the top lady, so she's there. THen, if they wanted to be able to have a TBD, they could only list one of Aurora and Alaine initially. Aurora's Nats silver + youth and potential obviously trumps Alaine's Nats gold (as it should imo). They could have just given Alaine the 3rd spot instead of it being TBD, but it's generally a good thing to leave a TBD and see how the summer goes.

Like I said before, Alaine followed Nats up with 3 straight competitions under 150 points. Despite the commendable fact that she helped get 2 spots at Worlds, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence. If she does well in summer comps, then they'll obviously give her the spot. But if she goes out and does more ~147 point skates, and someone like Alicia Pineault looks good...

Seeing Alaine not get a GP makes, the same thought occurred to me. Alaine really hasn't delivered, so maybe Skate Canada has lost some faith in her? She's been on at downturn since 2016.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

coppertop1

Daleman confirmed on Instagram that she has moved to Granite club with Lee Barkell.

Good to hear she’s not disrupted by the TCC split.

When will they announce the TBA for Skate Canada?

barbarafan

Good to hear she’s not disrupted by the TCC split.

When will they announce the TBA for Skate Canada?
Gaby's instagram today...short program...choreo. Lori Nicol...Kaitlyn Weaver has been helping Gabby.

Rock2

I hope Aurora got her triples back. Poor Wallia had 2 skaters he had to nurture after scary fractures.

I'm big on Aurora. I don't expect miracles this year but I expect to see major progress, likely with the lutz back in her repetoire along with a 3/3 in the short. I know the British announcers are typically quite positive but they really liked her at world's last year. There is just something quite appealing about her that I'm counting on Ravi to harness and perfect along with technical quality. Crossing my fingers for an excellent summer of training for her.

I think Schumacher is her main competition if Alaine is in fact out. Alison can definitely do the triples but I just don't see judges warming up to her at all. Until she can get some impressive SS and bring her face into the performance she will struggle to get 7s internationally in PCS. Nationally she would need to out-triple Aurora by somewhere around two to beat her, I think.

Let's see what they both have to show in a few months.

Seerek

IMO, Alison will need to leave Lee Barkell or at least add to her team if she's going to make any headway on the weaknesses pointed out above.

Colonel Green

IMO, Alison will need to leave Lee Barkell or at least add to her team if she's going to make any headway on the weaknesses pointed out above.
Anecdotally, she stayed at the TCC when Lee left, I believe.

Alison is clearly technically one of the better ladies; I think she can work on performance with a solid tech foundation as she matures.

Tinami Amori

Gaby's instagram today - Jazz Man - By: Beth Hart
That's some good jazz, with rhythm well suited for a skating programme.

Rock2

Anecdotally, she stayed at the TCC when Lee left, I believe.

Alison is clearly technically one of the better ladies; I think she can work on performance with a solid tech foundation as she matures.

I think she's still only 16 so in theory, yes, lots of time.
I think her performance - in terms of engaging not only her face but the rest of the body into the choreography -- can certainly develop but in her case it needs to transform.

Can anyone think of good examples of ladies singles skaters who transformed as much as she needs to, from where they were toward the end of their junior career? I'm drawing blanks at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information