Worlds 2024 Free Dance: ‘The Moors of Montreal’

Sylvia

TBD
Free Dance protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Pl. NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIERCAN
133.17​
75.25​
57.92​
9.68​
9.71​
9.57​
0.00​
#20​
2​
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATESUSA
132.12​
73.76​
58.36​
9.79​
9.75​
9.64​
0.00​
#18​
3​
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRIITA
129.00​
71.58​
57.42​
9.57​
9.57​
9.57​
0.00​
#19​
4​
Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSONGBR
126.32​
70.68​
55.64​
9.39​
9.39​
9.04​
0.00​
#17​
5​
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHACAN
125.71​
71.15​
54.56​
9.14​
9.14​
9.00​
0.00​
#16​
6​
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SOERENSENCAN
124.12​
69.90​
54.22​
9.07​
9.11​
8.93​
0.00​
#11​
7​
Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKOUSA
121.06​
68.76​
52.30​
8.75​
8.79​
8.61​
0.00​
#14​
8​
Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Geoffrey BRISSAUDFRA
120.27​
67.77​
52.50​
8.75​
8.75​
8.75​
0.00​
#15​
9​
Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUSLTU
119.97​
67.45​
52.52​
8.79​
8.79​
8.68​
0.00​
#13​
10​
Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUISFIN
116.45​
65.59​
50.86​
8.64​
8.43​
8.36​
0.00​
#12​
11​
Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEKCZE
115.23​
65.39​
49.84​
8.32​
8.39​
8.21​
0.00​
#8​
12​
Hannah LIM / Ye QUANKOR
114.62​
64.90​
49.72​
8.32​
8.36​
8.18​
0.00​
#10​
13​
Loicia DEMOUGEOT / Theo le MERCIERFRA
114.26​
64.06​
50.20​
8.46​
8.43​
8.21​
0.00​
#6​
14​
Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKINGEO
113.88​
63.24​
50.64​
8.46​
8.43​
8.43​
0.00​
#7​
15​
Natalie TASCHLEROVA / Filip TASCHLERCZE
111.92​
63.00​
48.92​
8.18​
8.14​
8.14​
0.00​
#5​
16​
Yuka ORIHARA / Juho PIRINENFIN
107.33​
59.99​
47.34​
7.96​
8.14​
7.57​
0.00​
#4​
17​
Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETOJPN
106.98​
60.20​
46.78​
7.82​
7.89​
7.68​
0.00​
#2​
18​
Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUSIRL
103.63​
57.93​
45.70​
7.71​
7.68​
7.46​
0.00​
#3​
19​
Holly HARRIS / Jason CHANAUS
103.34​
58.12​
45.22​
7.64​
7.54​
7.43​
0.00​
#1​
20​
Olivia SMART / Tim DIECKESP
101.72​
54.78​
46.94​
8.00​
7.68​
7.79​
0.00​
#9​

Ice Dance
Result
FPl. Name Nation Points RD FD
1 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 222.20 1 2
2 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 219.68 3 1
3 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA 216.52 2 3
4 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR 210.92 4 4
5 Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA CAN 208.01 5 5
6 Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS LTU 200.96 6 9
7 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA 200.32 8 7
8 Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Geoffrey BRISSAUD FRA 200.28 7 8
9 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SOERENSEN CAN 199.91 10 6
10 Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS FIN 192.34 9 10
11 Loicia DEMOUGEOT / Theo le MERCIER FRA 190.00 11 13
12 Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKIN GEO 188.34 12 14
13 Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEK CZE 188.28 13 11
14 Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN KOR 186.51 14 12
15 Natalie TASCHLEROVA / Filip TASCHLER CZE 180.17 18 15
16 Yuka ORIHARA / Juho PIRINEN FIN 175.99 17 16
17 Holly HARRIS / Jason CHAN AUS 174.78 16 19
18 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN 173.90 20 17
19 Olivia SMART / Tim DIECK ESP 173.53 15 20
20 Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS IRL 171.67 19 18

Final Not Reached
21 Phebe BEKKER / James HERNANDEZ GBR 66.39 21
22 Jennifer JANSE van RENSBURG / Benjamin STEFFAN GER 65.86 22
23 Emily BRATTI / Ian SOMERVILLE USA 65.21 23
24 Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO HUN 64.59 24
25 Victoria MANNI / Carlo ROETHLISBERGER ITA 63.64 25
26 Mariia HOLUBTSOVA / Kyryl BIELOBROV UKR 63.30 26
27 Anna SIMOVA / Kirill AKSENOV SVK 62.76 27
28 Milla Ruud REITAN / Nikolaj MAJOROV SWE 61.13 28
29 Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Mikhail NOSOVITSKIY ISR 59.16 29
30 Xizi CHEN / Jianing XING CHN 58.80 30
31 Paulina RAMANAUSKAITE / Deividas KIZALA LTU 58.52 31
32 Gina ZEHNDER / Beda Leon SIEBER SUI 58.19 32
33 Solene MAZINGUE / Marko Jevgeni GAIDAJENKO EST 57.09 33
34 Olivia OLIVER / Filip BOJANOWSKI POL 54.19 34
35 Hanna JAKUCS / Alessio GALLI NED 51.99 35
36 Adrienne CARHART / Oleksandr KOLOSOVSKYI AZE 49.56 36

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Of all the teams... Who do I get a text from my mom about? Saying she enjoyed them?! Sigh. We might as well just give in to FearGib being the way of the future, folks.
I think that is true. First they got rid of compulsory dance and now the RDs are generic decade dances. No more waltz or ballroom. All they want is folks coming out for figure skating events and clapping themselves silly. Because of the music and the fun. Ice dance in its original form is long dead. But I will always love the angst-filled programs and dramatic over-the-top dances.

Barbara Manatee

We might not like it but as long as the judges are giving them the scores, stay in. And really, it's a sport. It's not the job of champions to step aside for a younger generation. It's the younger generation's job to beat them for the crown.
I agree, no one is obligated to step aside. They should quit on their terms and their time. But I think the reality of the younger generation just having to 'step up and beat them' isn't that straightforward. There's a limited number of spots at competitions, in shows, at the best training centers, with the best choreographers. A limited amount of funding from federations and sponsors. A limited amount of time most skaters have to start moving up the ranks before they can't justify the time and expense anymore. The longer skaters at the top linger, the fewer opportunities there are for others to develop the skills and experience needed to step up and beat them.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I decided to watch both Charlene/Marco and Piper/Paul from my USA recording. Maybe it’s because I knew what would happen or because I didn’t have Mark’s histrionics, but I thought Charlene and Marco looked great. The lift wasn’t perfect but the dress mishap had no effect on the performance. Piper and Paul were in fire. I don’t love this program but they skated great. In my world Piper/Paul won, Charlene/Marco second and La/La took bronze. If I didn’t see it, it didn’t happen. :lol:

I am happy with the spots for next year but I really wanted 3 for France (I know, pretty much impossible).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Australian judge put CarPon in 15th!!! @Rukia is calling a hitman right now.
beep boop i'm calling interpol first
May I suggest sending her to a re-education camp instead? :lol:

I dunno. I’m completely unable to remain objective about any program skated to Pink Floyd. It was a highlight for me so I was happy with the podium.
I, OTOH, have trauma from that album due to childhood things. :shuffle:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I agree, no one is obligated to step aside. They should quit on their terms and their time. But I think the reality of the younger generation just having to 'step up and beat them' isn't that straightforward. There's a limited number of spots at competitions, in shows, at the best training centers, with the best choreographers. A limited amount of funding from federations and sponsors. A limited amount of time most skaters have to start moving up the ranks before they can't justify the time and expense anymore. The longer skaters at the top linger, the fewer opportunities there are for others to develop the skills and experience needed to step up and beat them.
Plus there are many here who believe that the "wait your turn" mentality is alive and well with the judging, so there'll be no moving up of LaLa, CPom and the like until the chosen ones at the top of the standings retire - no matter how ANY of them skate. They already have the skills, they're simply not allowed to beat them.

Former Lurve Goddess

And most interesting, going by ordinals (that don't matter), Fear and Gibson only beat Lajoie and Lagha 5-4. Marjorie and Zach are very high up on the TES scorecards.

Just watch them.
I just want to know in what universe do Fear and Gibson have better skating skills than La & La? That said there were a lot of fabulous performances and Lop/Bris, CarPoms and La/La are going places. Now, where can I find someone to kneecap the people behind me in the arena who were talking excessively during the FD?:rolleyes:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
A limited amount of funding from federations and sponsors.
This is my thing. Say you are the Taschlers. He already had a spinal fracture and they are from a small fed. You need to wait until your 30 something to have any chance at the podium? Demoralizing.

I am fine if teams want to stay but reputation judging needs fixed.

Skate Talker

La persistencia de la memoria by Salvador Dalí

It's her take on Dali's melty clocks.
Absolutely brilliant actually, and I don't always like Madison's costumes. Earlier this year I actually took the time to freeze frame a performance to make sure I could locate all 12 hours around the edges of the costume.
Grand Finale of all time for G/P?
On CBC TV sports earlier in the afternoon they were talking to Asher Hill and it sounded like Piper & Paul may have been saying this is their final year of competition. Could make a lot of sense that they held on just for a home Worlds before retiring.
I'll be in Boston next year and volunteer to do the job!!! :saint:
Please do - else it could be Rusty gags
GEO (12) and KOR (14) are the last two DE's for Boston.
So happy for Lim & Quan!
If any of them retire, I think it would be Piper/Paul, who could reasonably say they went out winners and beat the reigning world champions in the free dance. But I could also see them saying, we beat them in the FD and were one bauble in the RD from winning it all, why not a little payback in Boston?
(oops - Couldn't figure out how to group this comment with the earlier one about this being their "Grand Finale")

Debbie S

I didn't see this posted in this thread yet, apologies if I'm repeating....C/B got L2 on the stationary lift (likely b/c Evan didn't stay on 1 foot for 3 full secs, it looked like they had a struggle getting into position) and scored over 3 points lower than they did at the GPF. Had they gotten a score in that range, they would have scored over 135 for the FD. That was really the difference in TES between them and G/P.

Congrats to G/P on winning the FD and to C/B on their 2nd World title!

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Ok, I will say it.

No way C/B should have won. Absolutely no way. I like the program, and it's smart that she spends 90% of it carried by him, but in the terms of speed, edges, ice coverage the precision of the elements they barely scratched top 10. I was sitting with a non casual fan, explaining him about the edges, the flow, the positions and so on, and after all that he said he doesn't understand how all I told him correlates with their gold. They were overmarked in the short, the long was a disaster.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Also, it becomes tedious after a while watching the same lyrical snots over and over again. I enjoyed most of the programs, and on average was on board with the results or at least fine with them. Clearly G/F are the best skaters of the competition, but I get that no one cares. G/P were enjoyable, but tbh, I thought they were the third best Canadians tonight. Love the program, but they are just not that amazing. But I'm kind of fine with the result, after all it's the life achievement event.

The Brits did much better than in Kaunas, it actually felt like a competitive program. Also I thought Lopareva/Brissaud were easily the best of the third group. They should have been ahead of R/A and the Danadians, not to mention Ponomarenko, possibly fighting with LaLas. Was glad to see Mrazeks being pushed up, it was justified; still think Loicia and Theo have the best FD of the season, but it wasn't magic like in Euros. Glad Davis changed the tutu : I was watching it in Kaunas form the short side, and on the lifts it looked like a black hole with ass and legs hanging out of it.

A well skated event with rather acceptable results with one glaring exception.

Icetalavista

Plus there are many here who believe that the "wait your turn" mentality is alive and well with the judging, so there'll be no moving up of LaLa, CPom and the like until the chosen ones at the top of the standings retire - no matter how ANY of them skate. They already have the skills, they're simply not allowed to beat them.
But didn’t PapaCiz break that cycle for a while? They beat several teams ahead of them - their rise was not solely due to retirements. Also, for a while we had movement between RD and FD, but that’s gone now in part because ISU has tossed out the compulsory dance which provided at least some actual basis to compare teams, and because RD is now just FD-lite.

Skate Talker

If you were Russian-while-ice-dancing you never had to wait to become 3rd ranked in the world, just until your compatriots retired to move up to 2nd, then 1st. Then suddenly Virtue, Moir, Davis & White all broke into the top while young, leaping over many established teams. Two reasons for that - they were really very good and all their international competition experience was under the new scoring system so they understood completely how to use it to their advantage.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
But didn’t PapaCiz break that cycle for a while? They beat several teams ahead of them - their rise was not solely due to retirements. Also, for a while we had movement between RD and FD, but that’s gone now in part because ISU has tossed out the compulsory dance which provided at least some actual basis to compare teams, and because RD is now just FD-lite.
P&C did break it for a while, as you say, and only for themselves, because they were so much better than everyone else that it couldn't be denied.

manhn

The Shibs also took a big leap early in their career. Same for Chock and Bates, but their leap was overshadowed that season with Pap/Ciz.

No offence to any of the teams competing right now, but if any of the young teams had similarly immediate talent, politics wouldn’t have stopped them from overtaking the current top three teams.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
The Shibs also took a big leap early in their career. Same for Chock and Bates, but their leap was overshadowed that season with Pap/Ciz.

No offence to any of the teams competing right now, but if any of the young teams had similarly immediate talent, politics wouldn’t have stopped them from overtaking the current top three teams.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. I think there's some truth to it. I also think that there's some truth to the fact that after 20 years of IJS the judges have learned how, especially in ice dance, to game the system using GOE and PCS. For instance it's nonsense to say that FearGibson have better skating skills than LaLa.
Someone mentioned up thread about having mandatory GOE deductions like they do in the other disciplines. There was a time that a jump with a fall could still have a +GOE. Now it must be a mandatory -GOE. Something like that with the dance elements would go a long way to keeping the judges more honest.

Marta24

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. I think there's some truth to it. I also think that there's some truth to the fact that after 20 years of IJS the judges have learned how, especially in ice dance, to game the system using GOE and PCS. For instance it's nonsense to say that FearGibson have better skating skills than LaLa.
Someone mentioned up thread about having mandatory GOE deductions like they do in the other disciplines. There was a time that a jump with a fall could still have a +GOE. Now it must be a mandatory -GOE. Something like that with the dance elements would go a long way to keeping the judges more honest.
I would also add that when VM and PC moved up to seniors, they already had been skating together since 10 years and were doing ice dance since they were children.

The Mrazeks are in their third full season as ice dancers, Daniel was still skating in singles at YOG 2020. It's incredible that with this lack of experience they were already knocking at the top 10 in the FD. L/Q also are only in their 4th season skating together, B/H in their third.

With the pace the Koreans and Czechs are rising, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fighting for medals after 2026. This might even be our next great ice dance rivalry. :)

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I would also add that when VM and PC moved up to seniors, they already had been skating together since 10 years and were doing ice dance since they were children.

The Mrazeks are in their third full season as ice dancers, Daniel was still skating in singles at YOG 2020. It's incredible that with this lack of experience they were already knocking at the top 10 in the FD. L/Q also are only in their 4th season skating together, B/H in their third.

With the pace the Koreans and Czechs are rising, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fighting for medals after 2026. This might even be our next great ice dance rivalry. :)
See I guess my point is that if the current top four are still competing I'd be completely astonished to see the Koreans and Czechs fighting for medals in 2026, even if they deserve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information