On My Own

How are people coming up with these profile pics of grandpa with a piece of strawberry cake in his hand, offering it to a girl? Seems oddly specific? Generating them using AI or what?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

Sylvia

TBD
Feb. 26th article by the Associated Press' sports news reporter, Graham Dunbar (who covered the Valieva story at the 2022 Olympics, like Tariq Panja, the NYT's global sports correspondent who wrote the article that was linked yesterday):
“Given the early stage of the proceedings, no indication can be given as to when a hearing may take place, if any,” the court said in a statement [copied out in post #1645]. [...]
No medals have been decided officially for the Beijing team event and formal reallocation must by done by the International Olympic Committee.
The IOC executive board meets March 19-21 and the latest legal challenges can further delay its decision.

Last edited:

coppertop1

Can someone please explain how the rankings changed and what should have happened? Thank you.
Valieva was disqualified. That means everyone in the women's part of the Team Event moves up a spot, and they should have moved up in points. Russia loses 20 points. Canada should have got two more points. Meaning Canada now has 55 pts. Russia has 54 pts

caseyedwards

But the isu is saying they are not removing valieva or her skate they are just taking away her points! So the top spot is not vacant it’s just taken up by a skater with invalid points!! They are Saying they can’t remove her because she was part of ROC in team event and RoC is not disqualified.

Roc not disqualified therefore only valieva points are invalidated

CAS has to disqualify entire RoC team for Canada to get bronze

“In any complex and extraordinary situation like this, the reallocation of points could negatively
affect the relative team ranking, adversely impacting teams that had nothing to do with the incident
in question. Therefore, we have to abide by the rules and principles. In light of this case, we will
further clarify the rules and principles moving forward to ensure any such cases are dealt with
more efficiently in the future.”

Last edited:

Vagabond

Partial Internet translation:

The press service of the federal court reported this to TASS.

“An appeal against the arbitration award dated January 29, 2024 was filed today with the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland,” the press service reported.

A CAS verdict can only be challenged in the Swiss Federal Court in case of procedural violations. If the Swiss Federal Court sides with the skater, the case will return to CAS for review.

I haven't seen any indication of what the procedural violation might be, but given her testimony about 🍰 on the 🚆, I suppose that Valieva will come up with something. :grandpa:

Lynn226

Partial Internet translation:

The press service of the federal court reported this to TASS.

“An appeal against the arbitration award dated January 29, 2024 was filed today with the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland,” the press service reported.

A CAS verdict can only be challenged in the Swiss Federal Court in case of procedural violations. If the Swiss Federal Court sides with the skater, the case will return to CAS for review.

I haven't seen any indication of what the procedural violation might be, but given her testimony about 🍰 on the 🚆, I suppose that Valieva will come up with something. :grandpa:
At this rate, the 2026 team medals will be awarded before the 2022 medals are decided.:wall::COP:

Vagabond

Is it possible to appeal against a CAS award ?

Judicial recourse to the Swiss Federal Tribunal is allowed on a very limited number of grounds, such as lack of jurisdiction, violation of elementary procedural rules (e.g. violation of the right to a fair hearing) or incompatibility with public policy.

I guess I can see some possible public policy arguments she could use. For example, she could argue that she was too young to be so heavily penalized, but then the next logical step is that it should be against public policy to allow fifteen-year-olds to compete. 🤷‍♂️

Sylvia

TBD
Valieva and Tutberidze were interviewed by NHK for a program that aired earlier today (March 3) in Japan:

MatchTV.ru has published excerpts and this is one translated into English: https://www.telecomasia.net/news/ot...es-intentional-doping-in-emotional-statement/

Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva has stated that she never knowingly took any banned substances. She claims to have never violated anti-doping rules.
In an interview with NHK Valieva said:
For my part, I can say that I did not take doping consciously. We take RUSADA courses [Российского антидопингового агентства], I tried to follow the rules as much as possible. Because I was going to the Olympic Games and thought that this would be a wonderful sports festival. That this is the place for which you have worked for so long, you have dreamed for so long. And you came and, unfortunately, received different emotions and a different attitude.

ETA 2 machine translated excerpts:
Eteri Tutberidze, coach of Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva, said that she was left with many questions after the decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to disqualify the athlete for four years.
At the end of January, CAS suspended Valieva for four years for violating anti-doping rules. Trimetazidine was detected in the athlete’s doping sample taken at the Russian Championships in December 2021. The period of disqualification of the 17-year-old Russian woman starts on December 25, 2021, and her results have been canceled since this date.
- I have a lot of questions. What is this? Where did this come from? Nobody wanted... well, no one even wanted to think rationally.
She was clean everywhere, at all starts - both before and after. Why should she be given doping at the Russian Championship? She won all season, she was clean everywhere - but here, that means, we give it to her... Was she supposed to jump higher? Twist more? We don’t have seconds when we ran faster or, for example, jumped further,” Tutberidze said in an interview with NHK.
“I went out to skate before the free program and realized that was it. If I understood that I wasn’t doing a [quad] Salchow, I wasn’t doing an [triple] Axel, much less a sheepskin coat [4T], I should have left this sheepskin coat and not tried to do either a double or a triple Salchow, but went for triple jumps. But I was afraid that the coaches would tell me, (ask) why I didn’t enter all the jumps. Probably at that moment I gave up,” Valieva said in an interview with NHK.

Last edited:

Vagabond

"Was she supposed to jump higher? Twist more? We don’t have seconds when we ran faster or, for example, jumped further,” Tutberidze said in an interview with NHK.

:rolleyes: Tutberidze must know that the supposed benefit of the drugs administered to Valieva is to enable an athlete to train more.

Former Lurve Goddess

"Was she supposed to jump higher? Twist more? We don’t have seconds when we ran faster or, for example, jumped further,” Tutberidze said in an interview with NHK.

:rolleyes: Tutberidze must know that the supposed benefit of the drugs administered to Valieva is to enable an athlete to train more.
Instant Noodle Sister is definitely going for the 2024 Queen of the Gaslighters title.

Sylvia

TBD
Alexa Knierim's comments about the team event medal ceremony delay in her Chicago paper (March 4):
But Russia is appealing the decision, as is Canada, which finished fourth in the 2022 Winter Games and is now pushing for bronze medals.
“There is speculation there could be even more delays,” Knierim said with a sigh. “It's frustrating … at first it was like, 'It is what it is,' because so much time was passing and I was just becoming complacent with the situation because it felt like it was an afterthought to anybody who had control over this situation. So I wasn't giving up, but I was kind of starting to just move on with my life.
“Now that we have a bit of excitement that we got the gold, we're going to get our medals, then recently find out there is possible further delay, it's a bit frustrating just because we know we're still going to get the gold regardless of what happens with third place. I would love to move forward with this because for our U.S. team, we're still going to be deserving of that outcome.”
“I don't know why they just didn't hold the boxes until we got the medals,” Knierim said. “They delivered the boxes empty and that was really, really strange. It was kind of like more of a sting. What has been so surreal about this experience is all of the news, information and updates that we receive is coming to us at the same time as you. We learn everything on Twitter and through the media.
“We're never ahead of the game. The experience has been strange just because we have been treated no differently than someone who's not involved, as far as information.”
“The U.S. Olympic Committee has given us their word that they will try as hard as they can to give us the ceremony that we as a team hope for,” Knierim said. “Right now, we're requesting to be given our medals at the Paris Olympics in August. We want to be flown there and have a ceremony at an Olympic Games. That is the hopeful plan, August. We're hoping that between now and, let's say July, this whole situation of the appeals from different countries will be finalized.
“I think it would really ring in the Olympic spirit that you're not going to be able to replicate by just meeting up at the White House and standing on a podium together. Imagine the feeling of an Olympics at the village and seeing the summer athletes around and that determination. It's what our team wants.”

Milan

CAS has to disqualify entire RoC team for Canada to get bronze

“In any complex and extraordinary situation like this, the reallocation of points could negatively
affect the relative team ranking, adversely impacting teams that had nothing to do with the incident
in question. Therefore, we have to abide by the rules and principles. In light of this case, we will
further clarify the rules and principles moving forward to ensure any such cases are dealt with
more efficiently in the future.”

But if Kamila is disqualified then ROC surely did not have a valid "team"? Therefore, the entire team should definitely be disqualified as their entry is not valid due to the invalid composition of the team.

caseyedwards

But if Kamila is disqualified then ROC surely did not have a valid "team"? Therefore, the entire team should definitely be disqualified as their entry is not valid due to the invalid composition of the team.
Yes. You have to disqualify the whole team for any team to move up

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
"Invalid composition" does not work here because a team was perfectly within the rules to only compete in three of the four disciplines. The ISU just set themselves up for disaster by saying some rules applied from their regular constitution of rules, only to have left the section directly below (team event purposes) pretty much empty and all other wording vague as always.

Milan

"Invalid composition" does not work here because a team was perfectly within the rules to only compete in three of the four disciplines. The ISU just set themselves up for disaster by saying some rules applied from their regular constitution of rules, only to have left the section directly below (team event purposes) pretty much empty and all other wording vague as always.

Thanks for clarifying that. Well, there goes that argument. What a circus!

puglover

So I thought Russia was contesting Valieva being disqualified and losing the gold medal not the possibility of losing the bronze medal. If they are, in fact, contesting the possibility of Canada's appeal being successful then I also fail to see why gold and silver can not be presented to the US and Japan in a timely fashion - which is already ridiculous anyway.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So I thought Russia was contesting Valieva being disqualified and losing the gold medal not the possibility of losing the bronze medal. If they are, in fact, contesting the possibility of Canada's appeal being successful then I also fail to see why gold and silver can not be presented to the US and Japan in a timely fashion - which is already ridiculous anyway.
They are protesting losing the gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information