Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Who does Canada appeal to? ISU? But, who within the ISU? Is there an appeals procedure there. Or, do they take it to some higher sports authority? I don`t know who that might be.

The appeal is going to the ISU because the ISU is responsible for determining the winners of the Olympic medals. The press release about the re-allocation of the team medals refers to "the decision by the ISU Council", so presumably the appeal is going to go to the Council.
The ISU (through the ISU Council) has made their decision. The appeal will go to CAS who will review all of the ISU's docs and rules pertaining to the Team Event and decide if the ISU has applied their rules correctly.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I thought CAS only takes cases where the appeals process has gone through the established channels and has been exhausted. If that’s the case, it depends upon whether the ISU has an appeals process, whether there is an IOC appeals process after a Federation’s final, un-/no longer appealable decision if it happened at the Olympics, etc.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I thought CAS only takes cases where the appeals process has gone through the established channels and has been exhausted. If that’s the case, it depends upon whether the ISU has an appeals process, whether there is an IOC appeals process after a Federation’s final, un-/no longer appealable decision if it happened at the Olympics, etc.
You're probably correct but we all know this is eventually going to wind up in front of CAS because either Russia or Canada will appeal whatever decision any ISU and/or IOC Appeals/Grievances Committee arrives at. ;)

Andrea82

Appeals to ISU final decisions should go to CAS judging by those 2 previous cases (short track). IOC is bypassed.

caseyedwards

“competitors having finished the competition and who initially placed lower than the disqualified competitor will move up accordingly in their placement."

Team Russia was not disqualified. One element of it was. There is no justification for any movement at all actually.

ballettmaus

“competitors having finished the competition and who initially placed lower than the disqualified competitor will move up accordingly in their placement."

Team Russia was not disqualified. One element of it was. There is no justification for any movement at all actually.
It literally says "competitor ... will move up accordingly in their placement". In other words, it says all ladies who finished the competition and placed lower than Valieva move up accordingly in their placement.

caseyedwards

It literally says "competitor ... will move up accordingly in their placement". In other words, it says all ladies who finished the competition and placed lower than Valieva move up accordingly in their placement.
But the competitor was Russia not an individual. The points go to country

Colonel Green

And it may yet come to that, if the ISU sees that as the easiest way to save face.
I don’t see how that happens at this point. CAS is going to be asked for yes/no answers on a couple of questions, which would lead to a definitive answer that either the ISU is right, Russia is right, or Canada is right.
And what are the points based on, again? :unsure:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don’t see how that happens at this point. CAS is going to be asked for yes/no answers on a couple of questions, which would lead to a definitive answer that either the ISU is right, Russia is right, or Canada is right.

Very few people thought there could be two gold medals in pairs in 2002, until it happened. The ISU works in mysterious ways.

caseyedwards

And what are the points based on, again? :unsure:
The NOCs skater. But the competitor is the NOC

ballettmaus

A country cannot be a competitor in an athletics competition (or any competition that isn't meant to rank the country as a whole really) and technically, a team can't be a competitor either. The individuals are competitors competing as a team and that team represents a country.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
You're probably correct but we all know this is eventually going to wind up in front of CAS because either Russia or Canada will appeal whatever decision any ISU and/or IOC Appeals/Grievances Committee arrives at. ;)
I agree, but any more steps with the ISU drags on the timeline.

caseyedwards

Seriously. I understand the need to respond to ridiculous posts, but this troll has shown to provide posts of little-to-no value for over a decade by now, and he clearly loves the attention he receives from his posts. He knows what to write to get the reaction.
The biggest troll opinion ever and biggest post of no value ever on this forum has been “lysacek deserved to win Olympics”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information