Helicopter Rescue goes viral.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't understand why they didn't put the basket back down, reattach the cables properly, and then hoist her up again.

That said: they definitely need to make an amusement park ride based on this!

jamesy

delightful
I get motion sick so easily I was nauseous just watching the clip. I would have just asked them to set me back in the ravine and leave me to my fate.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
OMG! It was funny to watch.......but couldn't have been funny to happen. How in the world did it happen?

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
How in the world did it happen?
Apparently the anti-spin device was dysfunctional. There was no use to get her back down as it would have been the same lifting her up again. The only way to stop it would have been to put her back to the ground, and to fly another chopper in. But it's very hot in the desert and you can't find a rescue chopper like you hail a uber. I was a rescuer for several years, a loooong time ago, when all the necessary devices weren't as sophisticated as they are today and never ever saw this before. As a former sky diver and paraglider I actually would love it... but it could have ended very badly. The cable and mega-carabiner that hold the stretcher only have a certain elasticity and cannot sustain repeated and ultra fast spinning.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The article I read implied they hadn't attached the cables correctly. If they were actually broken, what they did makes more sense.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
The article I read implied they hadn't attached the cables correctly. If they were actually broken, what they did makes more sense.
My significant other, who's still a mountain guide and rescuer, and I rewatched the video closely. Apparently the helicopter is equipped with a regular outside winch as most rescue choppers are, maneuvered by the mechanic in charge. There is always only one cable. With more, the whole thing would just twist, tangle and break. I have seen chopper winches operated up close and I have been winched up several times, either while being the rescuer flying up with the victim, or playing the victim myself in rescue exercizes (actually, I wish I had spun like this so I would have thrown up all over the "nice" macho guys who thought being part of a rescue team was not a women's job. đź‘Ľ ). You can't spin like in the video because the winch cable is equipped with a device that prevents it to do so. The cable is flexible but not on its axis. So the reason for the whole mess must clearly have been because of something wrong with the anti-spin device. If the cable hadn't been fixed correctly or if it had broken, the stretcher and its occupant would have crashed to the ground very quickly. One thing that awlays amazed me and still does is that the pilot sees nothing at all of what's happening with his own eyes during a rescue because it's beneath the cockpit. He has to relie entirely on the mechanic and the rescuers' eyes. It's totally awesome and impressive. Here is a short video where you can see the winch mecanism. The anti-spin device is the black part on top of the orange stabiliser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information