American Idol Reboot

BaileyCatts

Hootie. :cheer: Okay that was much MUCH better from Caleb tonight than Sunday night. But Maddie should still win. :p

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Well great. Now I got weather warnings. No more show for me. :(
Hope weather ok.. wow idol reboot really captures FSU LOL .. Caleb had a nice voice but rather boring and I’m not a country fan so hoping his girlfriend wins

BaileyCatts

Just bad thunderstorms. Did we really have to miss most of the show? :mad: Will have to catch it over the weekend via On Demand.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Aawwwww. Maddie is so sweet!!!!! :cry::cry:

PeterG

I was out tonight, so I recorded the show and will watch it tomorrow. Shocked that Maddie won. Not that she's not great, but that she's basically a folk singer and folk music hasn't sold records in about half a century. :lol: I think maybe the country fans split the votes between Gabby and Caleb.

Caleb had a nice voice but rather boring and I’m not a country fan so hoping his girlfriend wins

Caleb and Maddie are a couple? :eek: So two couples came out of the top five, wonder which couple (Gabby and Cade being the other) will last the longest? Maybe the powers that be will make Maddie and Caleb a recording duo and force Maddie to sing country like they have done with Trent Harmon. Probably not...they'll probably won't both to release albums individually and see who they can make the most money off of. :p

BaileyCatts

..... Caleb and Maddie are a couple? :eek:

Yep. Apparently they started dating back in January when they first met, and kept it quiet so as not to influence any voting or peoples perceptions of them or some such thing. I give Caleb and Maddie a much bigger shot at making it last than I do Cade and Gabby. That one will be over in 3, 2, 1 ....... :rofl:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I dvr'd the finale but just FF'd to the end to see who won. I did watch Maddie & Kermit on youtube - it was very cute. Caleb shouldn't have been there, much less beating out Gabby, or really anyone. His singing voice is pleasant but nothing special & his speaking voice is all cornpone hick. I think Maddie could do better.

watchthis!!

I've finally caught up on my AI episodes, hoping others are watching and will join in the conversation about this season's contestants. My thoughts about Monday's show:

Jeremiah and Laci Kaye were the top performers in my opinion. I wish Jeremiah did a song I had heard before though. I would have felt stronger about his performance if I knew the song. Laci Kaye was good, but towards the end, it seemed like she was running out of the power needed to give the song what I needed. But still a decent performance.

I'd group Alyssa, Demetrius and Ashley as the next best performances. I didn't know the song Alyssa sang, so again, I felt a disconnect. Demetrius is an amazing singer, but he was a little off, so I can't rave about his performance. Plus I'm really sick of Ed Sheeran, so he loses a few points for his song choice. And Ashley was really good, but "Fix You" seemed to suck some of the life out of the room, in spite of her strong vocal.

Laine was good, but why is he picking songs for seniors? Does he think there's a voting block of 70 years olds who are going to give him the win for choosing Creedence Clearwater and Elvis Presly songs?? :confused:

Four others lumped in the fourth best group of performances: Evelyn (too yodelly), Madison (she always sings songs that her too big for mid-level talent), Uche (tried too hard and it all kind of fell apart) and Alejandro (his wispy falsettos are too slight...he needs stronger vocals to match his AMAZING guitar playing).

Walker choosing Climb Every Mountain? Does he want to skip over a pop music career and go straight to being a member of the chorus on some Broadway show? Not with vocals this weak. Maybe off-off-Broadway as an understudy?

Riley's cover of Suds In The Bucket was thankfully doused by the viewers.

Wade's version of Trouble sounded like gravel in a blender at high speed. That's too kind of me, but I'm feeling generous. :p

And Eddie crashed and burned with Benny and The Jets. America rightfully sent him home.

Your thoughts?

taf2002

I'd put Walker, Madison, & Jeremiah as the best singers, Laine & Ashley next. Demetrius has a great voice but he needs vocal lessons & help choosing songs. So-so singers are Alyessa, Riley, & Alejandro. Several degrees of awful (to me) are Uche, Evelyn, Laci, Wade, & Eddie.

Just like last season, Katy is the most jarring note of the whole show. She comes off as pathetically self-conscience because she has to draw attention to herself at all times. She never has anything useful to say.

Susan1

I'd put Walker, Madison, & Jeremiah as the best singers, Laine & Ashley next. Demetrius has a great voice but he needs vocal lessons & help choosing songs. So-so singers are Alyessa, Riley, & Alejandro. Several degrees of awful (to me) are Uche, Evelyn, Laci, Wade, & Eddie.

Just like last season, Katy is the most jarring note of the whole show. She comes off as pathetically self-conscience because she has to draw attention to herself at all times. She never has anything useful to say.

Who's the one with the deep voice (which makes her pitch off) who got eliminated (I think - I keep falling asleep before the elimination)? I kept thinking she should sing a Cher song.

I'm not even going to say who I like because they always get eliminated then.

BaileyCatts

Lanie Hardy is going to win. I guess I was in another thread when I said it before so I'll say it again. :p

Here is my ranking, in no particular order:

10-9-8: Walker, Jeremiah and Dimitrius. I don't know how they made the Top 40, let alone the Top 10. Jeremiah and Walker were just awful on Monday night. And this isn't "American Saddest Sob Story". :blah:
:EVILLE:

7-6: Wade, Alyssa. Both okay, Wade has a unique gimmick with his voice, but they won't have the voting base to go beyond mid pack against the rest.

5-4: Uche, Alejandro. AI isn't the right vehicle for either of them. I see Alejandro as more of an indie artist, not a pop star, so he don't need American Idol. :lol: Uche will hang around due to his showmanship, but the typical AI voting base will drift off to others.

3-2: Madison, Laci. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood comparisons, but neither is quite as good as Kelly and Carrie.

1: Laine :p

So there. :biggrinbo

taf2002

@BaileyCatts, Uche & Alyssa had to get the judge's picks so I not sure either will survive the next viewer vote. I'm not sure why you put Laci so high because I think she's awful. I guess we all hear different things. But I'm basing my ranking on who did the best in Hawaii. When the top 14 sang something was wrong with the audio or everyone had nerves - it wasn't good.

There's a difference between a rasp & what Wade has. I'm sorry he ruined his voice by screaming heavy metal but the sounds he makes are very unpleasant to me. It's like nails on the blackboard.

You may be right about Laine winning. He doesn't have the best voice but he is the most all-around contestant. I think the top 3 will be Laine, Madison, & Walker (but Walker needs to choose better songs).

moebius

My predictions for top three are Laine, Alejandro and Jeremiah, and maybe Laci. Usually the judges picks are the 1st to go. So probably Demetrius and Uche will go next week, then Alyssa and maybe Madison/Walker then next week.

I hoping Laine will take it all this season, as I was disappointed when he didn't make it last season. But, maybe that was a good thing since he has improved a lot from last season. He shouldn't slick his hair back as it shows that his hair is start to recede. He should have his hair like last season, cute like a young Eddie Furlong.

I don't care where the rest ends up. If Laine doesn't win, I hope it's Alejandro.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I really can't predict a winner but it feels like we are heading to a top 4 of Jeremiah, Madison, Laine, and Alejandro. I feel that Laci and Wade are the worst of this top 10, but they are still decent. Alejandro's Drake song this week was just awful to me, but the week before he was a delight, and he seems to have tons of fans as evidenced by his youtube view numbers. I cannot believe anyone would not see Jeremiah as a top 3 contestant- his Elton performance was out of this world IMO. His voice reminds me of the lead singer of Cold War Kids but stronger. I was just gutted to lose Ashley, as her John Mayer song and Jason Mraz duet during top 20 week made my LIFE! She was electric, but Fix You is too bland to garner excitement. Madison is generally amazing. Loved Laine last year and amazed with his progress. I find him to be outrageously attractive but also quite talented and always easy on the ears. Uche has been fantastic and I hope he at least gets to top 6 because he is just so fun and deserves to know he is loved. Love Walker, absolutely precious and his song choices are so cool, I actually loved him doing Climb Evry Mountain. Dimitrius is also amaaaazing but had kind of an off week for top 14. And Alyssa is even pretty great to me at times, so I see why Katy picked her, but she is up and down, and in this field she still feels completely like 9th or 10th place...but only because Wade and Laci have voters...

taf2002

We've had crazy entertainers before but it doesn't seem to me that that is Uche's real personality. It just seems like it's an act he puts on plus he doesn't have a good voice at all. He leaves me completely cold. I doesn't understand voting for novelty or back-story. Novelty: Wade, Uche, Eddie. Back-story: Jeremiah & Alejandro.

I would put Jeremiah at 1 or 2 but IMO with THAT voice he doesn't need the back-story & I think stressing it now is going to hurt him. It's like when The Voice judges go on & on about someone's age & we go I KNOW she's 15, just shut up about her age! Maybe Jeremiah can't do anything about what they say about him but does he have to look morose all the time? And they need to shut up about Alejandro's previous job. They make it appear that they pulled him out of the gutter.

watchthis!!

Finally finished watching the results show. How I'd rank the performances:

1. Jeremiah - Perfect, flawless vocal.

2. Madison - Lady Gaga's You and I. Wow, that was definitely her best performance so far.

3. Alyssa signing Katy's The One That Got Away. Very strong.

4. Dimitrius - Don't know the song, but some powerful stuff there. But a few flaws, but he takes way more chances than almost everybody else, so credit for that.

5. Laine - He always delivers a strong (but safe) vocal. I find him smarmy and disingenuous, though. Like he grew up in a showbiz family and has learned all the "proper" things to do.

6. Ashley - There are so many Stevie Wonders songs she would have sounded so much better on. She's not funky, so to pick one of Stevie's funkier songs was a mistake. Good enough vocal, though. Can't believe America didn't vote her through. I thought she was going to make the top five.

7. Evelyn did a good job with Dust In The Wind, but she over-exaggerates every word it seems. Very, very strange.

The rest were all pretty much a mess.

Uche had a few decent moments, but to sing Diamonds after La'Porsha Renae recently did such a killer job was a mistake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKA9AvxsrDg

Walker's vocals show such inexperience. They should have let him get as much experience from this and then sent him home having told him to get as many live performances under his belt as he could and then come back at a later date.

Riley tried so hard to pretend she has a personality. Poor child. :(

Laci Kaye...what happened? America voted her through, so no pressure...but then she crashed and burned. That was uncomfortable...

Alejandro, another person crashing and burning. Who's telling him that his falsetto is good in any way? So wispy. Like a leave that has dried up and has fallen off the vine to crash into the mud below. :wuzrobbed

Eddie and Wade - vocals that are a crime against humanity. :lol:

watchthis!!

I think Dimitrius gave one of the best performances tonight. It began a little iffy, but he hit some amazing notes in the rest of his performance. Sad to see him go. I think the judges knew that with Dimitrius and Uche being in the bottom group twice in a row that using the save would just be wasteful.

I think the top four performances (other than Dimitrius) were Alyssa, Madison, Laine and Jeremiah. Alyssa played it safe and gave a nice performance. Madison went for it in comparison and had a few more errors, but I think more people will be drawn to her more invested performance. Laine is sure and steady. He also knows how to work the cameras. Unlike Jeremiah, who could use the advice Rebel Wilson gave to Dimitrius and lose the stone-face. Jeremiah also needs to stop doing ballads week after week unless he wants Air Supply's career.

I think Wade gave his best performance. I heard him sing a melody! Well, for the first half of the song anyway. :lol:

Walker and Laci Kaye struggled to stay on key. If they continue to fail, they need to GO. Beautiful jacket that Walker was wearing, though. I wondered if Laine helped him pick it out, because he always looks so good.

And Alejandro was awful. He should maybe just play the guitar and not sing and go for the win that way. It's time for an instrumentalist to win American Idol. :D

moebius

If Alyssa is in the bottom two next week, the judges will use the save on her. I wonder if the judges would have used the save on her if she was in the bottom two.

I wonder if Ryan called out the contestants in order based on the number of votes. If so, I'm surprised that Madison got more votes than Alejandro based on the fact that Alejandro has a bigger fan base than Madison.

I've seen posts stating that Laine is getting the votes based on looks. If that's true, then Garrett, from last season who took the final top 24 spot from Laine, would have made it further in the competition. I think he's even better looking than Laine, but he was not a strong vocalist and an awkward performer. Laine is not the best vocalist or performer, but has enough of each quality combined with good looks to make him one of the frontrunners. All the pimping might backfire on him though. Three runner-ups from past seasons who did not benefit from pimping come to my mind: Adam Lambert, Crystal Bowersox, and La'Porsha Renae.

Last edited:

taf2002

Demetrius was in the wrong show. He is not a pop singer. He is a perfect candidate for The Voice. He needs the weeks of nurturing they get before the live shows. And everyone on AI needs real constructive criticism, not the tongue bath they all get.

I guess I don't hear what everyone else hears. I thought the judges messed up with the top 10 but the voters like the same people so I guess I'm the odd man out. I think Wade, Alejandro, & Laci are awful, as in "I can't believe they made the top 42" awful. I couldn't understand a single word Laci sang & her voice breaks on practically every word. I find it very unpleasant. Alejandro may have a good voice. I don't know because I seldom can hear his mumbles. Those of you who like these 3, would you buy a download from any of them?

watchthis!!

If Alyssa is in the bottom two next week, the judges will use the save on her. I wonder if the judges would have used the save on her if she was in the bottom two.

I'm thinking no. She's been in the bottom of the pack twice in a row now. I think the judges might keep their save for a freak week when Laine or Jeremiah has the least number of votes for some reason. They want to keep one of their golden children around and Alyssa is losing her luster by not getting America's votes.

I've seen posts stating that Laine is getting the votes based on looks. If that's true, then Garrett, from last season who took the final top 24 spot from Laine, would have made it further in the competition.

Garrett was a negative ten in the looks department. Plus ten for his beauty and negative twenty for that horrific facial hair. :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...s-ThAhVLwcQHHWoxDw0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=720

I wonder if Ryan called out the contestants in order based on the number of votes.

I doubt it. I know that The X-Factor did that. It's the only show that ever did that. Or the only show that made it clear that this was what was happening. I do think American Idol sometimes leaves favourite performers to the very end to make their fan bases vote more the following week though.

BaileyCatts

Since my Top 10 will change week by week, here is how I ranked them last night. But ugh how I hate Disney Night because the songs really don't go with most of their styles.

10-9: Demetrius and Uche. Right call. What the hell was that song Uche was singing! I could not understand a single word he sang and even though I don't really watch the big modern Disney movies, you hear enough about the songs on the interwebz and radio that I know the songs. I have never heard that song before at all. I usually liked Uche because he was a good performer and had fun with his songs, but last night was just ugh.

8: Laci. Meh. I've liked her better in earlier rounds.

7-6: Walker and Jeremiah. :blah: Boring boring boring boring. Oh they could have nice little careers signing in piano bars and cruise ships, but they are not going to be recording stars. American Idol is looking for a recording star.

5-4: Wade (good song choice for his style); Alejandro (not the right voice or fit for Disney songs). Maybe if he woulda sang that song straight up the way it was written I woulda liked it better. Alejandro needs to finish like in 3rd or 4th place in this competition so he can go sign with a unique, independent recording label so he can record in his own style because he's not going to be able to do that if he wins that American Idol contract. He is a niche act and perfect for some small indie label.

3: Alyssa. She was really good with her song, perfect choice and she jumps way up in my rankings. :p

1-2: Laine and Madison. But Laine is going to win. :p

Queen night next week? This is going to be ...... interesting. :wideeyes:

Megi

I didn't know this thread existed. Thanks @BaileyCatts for pointing it out.

I'm looking forward to the Queen week, but boy, we're likely going to find out how difficult those songs really are to sing. :yikes:

Megi

Singing Freddy Mercury is insanely difficult.

Not only do the Queen songs have enormous peaks and valleys range wise but they're also very wordy and rarely ever does the chorus repeat the same thing over and over, there's different wording almost every time.

Fortunately for the contestants, they won't have to sing the whole thing as an average Queen song is 5 minutes long.

BaileyCatts

If anyone finds a spoiler list for Queen week, post the song choices so I can lament about how cringe worthy they will be before I actually hear them. :rofl: Agree that singing Freddy is very difficult and if people try to reach for those notes, they will not succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information