2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I wish they'd say screw this Coldplay trilogy (hello 3rd place) and make an Olympic FD to "Clair de Lune". I loved their ex to that program and it suits their skating. Or just something that isn't the song they've picked.

I really dislike the "Paradise" song and would only approve if the Winter Olympics were held in Rio, without snow. I'll find a way to like it though because I love the Shibs.

Last edited:

DreamsofBliss

There's no getting around not liking a song or artist, if you don't like the song or Coldplay probably nothing will convince you of it, much as several people never really liked Latch for VM last season.
I do like the choice, the para para stuff doesn't bother me. It's more upbeat than their FDs of the last two years and thematically it provides a nice sense of closure. If Fix You is fall, Paradise is spring and that's something I really like about it. It's too early to judge, but at the moment it feels promising to me. Coldplay's music for a lot of people is easy to access emotionally and that's probably why there's a lot of excitement on instagram and Twitter.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
There's no getting around not liking a song or artist, if you don't like the song or Coldplay probably nothing will convince you of it, much as several people never really liked Latch for VM last season.
I do like the choice, the para para stuff doesn't bother me. It's more upbeat than their FDs of the last two years and thematically it provides a nice sense of closure. If Fix You is fall, Paradise is spring and that's something I really like about it. It's too early to judge, but at the moment it feels promising to me. Coldplay's music for a lot of people is easy to access emotionally and that's probably why there's a lot of excitement on instagram and Twitter.

It happens many times in skating where I'll initially dislike the music, but then see the choreography and how the program builds throughout the season, and then by Worlds I'll be a fan (and end up going from disliking the music to tolerating it, because it'll remind me of the skaters program which I loved). A good example is Shoma Uno's LP this year, that woman's voice is :scream: but he ended up making it more fun to listen to in the end. Also the opening of Papadakis & Cizeron's 2017 FD music, I went from :huh: to :swoon: in one season. Loved the choreography in V/M's latch, but never the song. (Not even they can convert me on it)

I love Coldplay and was initially excited about "Fix You" before even seeing the program, I just wish they wouldn't go with Coldplay so soon in a FD again because it'll be similar in style to the past few seasons, and ultimately lead to criticism because of that. But maybe not, their skating is very beautiful and it'll probably translate well if they're so confident to post the music choice this early.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I guess they know the broad Olympic audience is who they need to wow as well as the judges. Coldplay are worldwide superstars so they obviously have dedicated fans. I also do think this song is much faster and more energetic (and has a real electronic dance beat) than their last two FDs though Fix You had a real beginning, middle (once they interjected The Scientist), and huge build and explosion at the end whereas Evolution was super serene and mellow and minimalist throughout even with their second half (and now it makes sense why that was if it was supposed to be a bridge between Fix You and Paradise). So Paradise will be a fitting closing to their Tchernyshev Trilogy. Once they debut their FD, I'll probably watch their past three FDs in consecutive order to get the full impact of their trilogy. Maybe a kind Skating fan will edit one for us.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I wish they'd say screw this Coldplay trilogy (hello 3rd place) and make an Olympic FD to "Clair de Lune". I loved their ex to that program and it suits their skating. Or just something that isn't the song they've picked.
I think that would be a better choice as well. It would also complement long lines and extended positions, things they've been criticized for not doing the past two seasons. I would love a sensitive program that showcases their excellent posture.

My only hesitation would be the fear of what Marina would do to a Clair de Lune program after she got her hands on it. :scream:

VGThuy

Would people like that though? I guess it'd have to be a good edit but I have nightmares of artificial beats added to classical pieces from the late 90s early 2000s. But they have worked in the past, like DenStav's "Handel" FD, but the original was already a bit bumpin', something I'm not sure Clair De Lune lends itself to.

chapis

I think that would be a better choice as well. It would also complement long lines and extended positions, things they've been criticized for not doing the past two seasons. I would love a sensitive program that showcases their excellent posture.

My only hesitation would be the fear of what Marina would do to a Clair de Lune program after she got her hands on it. :scream:

Regardless of the difficulties they may face by skating a tango (2018-2019), I think this will showcase their excellent posture, like their paso doble.

And about Marina putting her hands on their Clair de Lune, Alex left very clear that everyone can to have opinions about their programs, but they (Alex and Maia) have the final say. I'm sure Alex and Maia would love to skate that program competitively, because they choreographed it themselves.

Last edited:

martyross

disappointed here.
ok, everyone know that picking the music for the olympic season is a tough job, Coldplay could be a clever choice and all being their signature and territory much like Muse for the Kerrs, but that song doesn't even sound catchy and most importantly, danceable.
i don't think it's a matter of liking it or not liking it.
this was the time to attack and re-affirm themselves after almost losing to the dangerous Hubbell/Donohue.
they could have aimed higher as far as music choice.
potentially, they have the talent to target an oly silver. it would be a real pity if they wasted such opportunity.
maybe they don't have enough confidence or the problem is their coach.

cgirl8

According to this icenetwork article on Polina Edmunds. "Since Edmunds never performed her programs in competition last season, she will keep both the short and the free." Both choreographed by Rudy Galindo.
SP: Palladio by Karl Jenkins
FS: Bilitis - Générique & Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman

mollymgr

The only other Coldplay song I find memorable is Clocks. The tempo seems a little fast for a flowy FD.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The Shibutanis had an exhibition to 'O (Fly On)' before the 'Fix You' free dance and I thought it was wonderful. I wondered why they didn't try to venture into that territory.. at the time.

Now that Adam Rippon has stolen the thunder of that particular song, it was probably out of the question to try to re-work it into a free dance, on top of the similarities in style from the previous few free dances.

I don't think 'Paradise' is quite as annoying as some people here do, but I don't see it being a piece of music that really pulls me into the performance.

Maybe they will go the 2016 route and throw an instrumental version of a Coldplay song into the middle - 'Politik', perhaps? :lol:

Anyways, I wish they had gone a different direction even if I know nothing about the program aside from the music. Then again, there's getting it past the USFS Champs Camp..

VGThuy

Maybe they'll slow it down a bit. I do wonder if they'll interject the program with another piece. I kind of wish they'd put in Madonna's "Paradise (Not for Me)" as a contrast to the idea of paradise and it's one of my fave songs. Of course that's just an off-the-wall suggestion nobody should listen to.

jenny12

Paradise seems like such a blah choice, especially for an Olympic year. Admittedly I'm not a Coldplay fan but at least Fix You has more of a crescendo to it than Paradise which doesn't really go anywhere. Oh well, hopefully the program is good despite the music.

VGThuy

So I just spoke to my family members and coworkers and friends about it and most of them love the choice. My fiancé thinks he's going to fall asleep since he finds Coldplay boring in general. But then he disliked every Beatles program I showed him. He said Patrick Chan's SP music was more fitting for a funeral so that's his taste. I guess more people like Coldplay than I thought judging what I usually read about them on the Internet.

rhapsody

Paradise by Coldplay?

All I can envision hearing is what an acquaintance once told me about that song: "All I can hear is: parrot... parrot... parrot eyes." :cheer2:

IDK. I really didn't like their free dance last year, but I loved their Fix You. Hopefully they surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information