2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
His page on Wikipedia; he worked on 'Hamlet' in Bolshoi in 2015
He also was the choreographer behind the Romeo and Juliet the Bolshoi did in the 00's and toured. Someone at the Bolshoi thought it was a good idea to make Declan Donnellan, a British theater director, in charge, and he was paired with Poklitaru. This was critic Rachel Howard's description:

Donnellan has been matched with a choreographer too inexperienced to do the job. Radu Poklitaru, a former Bolshoi dancer, aims for the fluency and frankness of European dance theater but comes up short. Think of the cartoonishness of Sweden's Mats Ek mixed with the limb-flailing aggression of France's Angelin Preljocaj -- but sans the structural sophistication.
www.sfgate.com/entertainment/amp/Bolshoi-takes-a-swing-at-modernity-in-Romeo-and-2638133.php

I saw this in Seattle with the then-young and (still) brilliant Maria Alexandrova and Denis Savin, and found Howard's review on target. It would have been dire, if it wasn't so :lol: in parts and the leads weren't so :swoon:

In a four-minute program, given the standards of ISU judges, the structural weaknesses of his choreography will go unnoticed, and, given his style, I think B/S will take to him like ducks to water.

altai_rose

He also was the choreographer behind the Romeo and Juliet the Bolshoi did in the 00's and toured. Someone at the Bolshoi thought it was a good idea to make Declan Donnellan, a British theater director, in charge, and he was paired with Poklitaru. This was critic Rachel Howard's description:

www.sfgate.com/entertainment/amp/Bolshoi-takes-a-swing-at-modernity-in-Romeo-and-2638133.php

I saw this in Seattle with the then-young and (still) brilliant Maria Alexandrova and Denis Savin, and found Howard's review on target. It would have been dire, if it wasn't so :lol: in parts and the leads weren't so :swoon:

In a four-minute program, given the standards of ISU judges, the structural weaknesses of his choreography will go unnoticed, and, given his style, I think B/S will take to him like ducks to water.
One would also hope that his choreographic style has matured in the last 13 years. :)

Tinami Amori

I knew when I made that comment you would respond to it.

You expect a response and you got one. Next time you want my response, don’t waist public’s time and space, send me a PM. Better yet, try making condescending remarks on Latinos, Asians, Blacks using their respective cultures’ music, and see what responses you’re going to get from others ..:EVILLE:

C

casken

You expect a response and you got one. Next time you want my response, don’t waist public’s time and space, send me a PM.

Please, you spew your BS all over this forum. You can't expect people not to react.

Better yet, try making condescending remarks on Latinos, Asians, Blacks using their respective cultures’ music, and see what responses you’re going to get from others ..:EVILLE:

You mean the type of people who have to fear the real police, and not the made up "PC" police crackpots live in fear of?

lauravvv

One would also hope that his choreographic style has matured in the last 13 years. :)
I hope so too. As far as I understood when watching Averbukh's 'Bolero' TV show a few years ago, he is quite respected as a contemporary dance/modern ballet choreographer in Ukraine and Russia etc. The choreographies he did for that show were quite interesting (at least for me), even if not always "beautiful". I don't have time to search for links on YouTube now, but, from what I remember, he choreographed a couple of numbers for Marinin and his (civil) wife, a prima ballerina of The Stanislavsky and Nemirovich - Danchenko Theatre (I guess the second most famous opera and ballet theatre in Moscow after The Bolshoi), and also a number for Kostomarov and Natalia Osipova (this was the "ugly" one).

Tinami Amori

You mean the type of people who have to fear the real police, and not the made up "PC" police crackpots live in fear of?
..... yeah, the very same people who don't need the real issues to be diluted by stupid comments about skaters' music choices.

Tinami Amori

VGThuy

Peter choreographed S/B's FD this past season too, right? What did people think of it now that the season is over.

Dobre

Peter choreographed S/B's FD this past season too, right? What did people think of it now that the season is over.

I thought it was a big step up from their packaging the season before. I felt the short was their greater success, but still--the tango was a good way to challenge them. They have work to do in skating close together, and some of the elements could have been modified for a more aesthetic look. But much better than Stepanova & Bukin's free the season before. The music was less painful, and the program allowed Ivan to use his performance strengths.

clairecloutier

I have to say I didn't really love S/B's FD this year. It's hard to separate the program itself from S/B's skating, but I just didn't find it a very coherent piece stylistically. The tango didn't have the kind of authentic tango feel that Gilles/Poirier's did, or some other tangos we've seen in the past, and for me there were a few too many attention-getting acrobatic moves, and just a lack of sophistication overall.

Tchernyshev has done some brilliant work, most especially for Kavaguti/Smirnov IMO, but like most choreographers, he has hits and misses.

lauravvv

The tango didn't have the kind of authentic tango feel that Gilles/Poirier's did, or some other tangos we've seen in the past, and for me there were a few too many attention-getting acrobatic moves, and just a lack of sophistication overall.
I have to say that Stepanova's posture keeps me from fully appreciating any of their programs. But I personally don't think that an ice dancing program must be authentic to the respective floor dance, although I do enjoy it when someone has managed to do that, like Gilles/Poirier. It was quite interesting to see how different those two on-ice tangos were. As for the acrobatic moves, I feel like they are by now a part of Stepanova/Bukin's style that differentiates them from others (all those lifts and lunges etc. that make use of her long legs). Overall I definitely liked this FD of theirs better than the previous one, the same as the SD. Some of the moments in it were quite impressive, and it had quite a powerful feel to it when skated the best, at least on TV. And the different parts choreographically corresponded with the music.

Last edited:

Enchanted

I saw them live at worlds and thought they are the most interesting Russian team. I liked their SD but the FD was boring. It didn't really suit them. However, the choreography in itself was nice. It was the skating that didn't match the program.

I remember thinking that I'd like to see P/C skating that program. It would have suited them perfectly. Contemporary and modern tango.

VGThuy

Tobias/Tkachenko announced on FB their music on April 19 (one week after they announced their coaching change to Zoueva et al.): https://www.facebook.com/tobiastkachenko/posts/614744952069922

The SD music choices seem a bit incoherent thematically, but I guess this rhythm sort of invites that. Plus I don't think people care so long as the SD is fun and the team knows how to dance to it.

She Will Be Loved-Rhythms del Mundo

Ugh!! I already hated the original version and this is not better.

And who is the choreographer?

I'm assuming Marina. It's not so different from what she did for D/W in 2011-2012.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sorry..never heard of him/her...any good??

Radu Poklitaru first made his name by choreographing short contemporary pieces for ballet competitions (Varna, Moscow, etc.). One of his most famous pieces was a gender-bending "Swan Lake" for a Russian couple in which the woman was the hunter and the guy was the swan. That was around 1999-2000.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Radu Poklitaru first made his name by choreographing short contemporary pieces for ballet competitions (Varna, Moscow, etc.). One of his most famous pieces was a gender-bending "Swan Lake" for a Russian couple in which the woman was the hunter and the guy was the swan. That was around 1999-2000.
His "Swan Lake" was interesting, almost a "nazi times story", or S&M, but more in terms of setting, costume design, and the concept. But not so much in choreography.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2TjTbAKFDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrxkjnDzdKM

His individual pieces i do not find extraordinary, have seen "such stuff" before... But it is good enough, and maybe perfect for a skating programme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-7X1iBu9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GljIQFXZmk

........ this is a rip off from Pilobolus, as far as i am concerned....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoNt_n8UwQk

...... and Pilobolus was better.... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYftvseVzuI

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information