2023-24 Program Music and Choreographers

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think Green/Parsons are up to it.
I'm on the fence. They did okay with their MJ RD a couple years ago, but it wasn't anything super-special, IMO. They can probably handle it, in a very Bring It On Rancho Carne Toros, super-upper-middle-class-white-kids-pop-and-locking kind of way.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm on the fence. They did okay with their MJ RD a couple years ago, but it wasn't anything super-special, IMO. They can probably handle it, in a very Bring It On Rancho Carne Toros, super-upper-middle-class-white-kids-pop-and-locking kind of way.
Naturally I had to look up the music... and watched the vids. That's going to be a challenge for them.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I think there are two good things for me when reading through this thread.

Unless the music is the old war horses, I'm not likely to be familiar enough to form an opinion before seeing them. I do have opinions on the repetitive movements by certain choreographers but not being familiar with music will give it a chance.

I'm looking forward to the seasons.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Are you thinking of the RD when they did Janet Jackson?

I loved their Prince FD that we only got to see a couple of times. They definitely have a good sense of rhythm for that kind of dancing so I’m optimistic about this.

Karen-W

Are you thinking of the RD when they did Janet Jackson?

I loved their Prince FD that we only got to see a couple of times. They definitely have a good sense of rhythm for that kind of dancing so I’m optimistic about this.
I thought their RD from the Olympic season was MJ, not Janet. Either way, I stand by my opinion that they're pretty upper-middle-class-white-kids-popping-and-locking in their movement, so I'm on the fence as to how good it will be.

Though, to be fair, they're not necessarily any worse at that type of movement and dance style than most other ice dancers.

Dobre

I think they are up for it, but the choreography has to be there first. Someone needs to do the homework.

Michael & Rachel were very successful with their A Little Party Never Killed Nobody program. And I thought Caroline had probably the best natural hip-hop style of the ice dancers the first season it came out (I think because she was young enough to learn it with ease).

I've seen a couple Paula Abdul RDs among the juniors. Cute, but not what they should be, which is a higher level of dance.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I thought their RD from the Olympic season was MJ, not Janet. Either way, I stand by my opinion that they're pretty upper-middle-class-white-kids-popping-and-locking in their movement, so I'm on the fence as to how good it will be.

Though, to be fair, they're not necessarily any worse at that type of movement and dance style than most other ice dancers.
They did En Vogue and Janet in the Olympic season.

orbitz

Don't select a program with a singer that is an iconic dancer just because you like the music & think it's going to be fun. Same goes for all those Michael Jackson people.

Skaters have to listen to their music every day, multiple times per day and for several months throughout the competitive season. They SHOULD pick music that they like and think it's going to be fun for them to skate to.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Katerina Mrazkova / Daniel Mrazek

RD: Self Control by Laura Branigan, Giancarlo Bigazzi, Raffaele Riefoli, Stephen Vincent Piccolo
Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler, Jim Steinman
Holding Out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyler, Jim Steinman, Dean Pitchford

FD: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 9, Finale. Andante by Petr I. Tchaikovski
Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 2, Waltz by Petr I. Tchaikovski
Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 5, Pas de deux for two Merry-Makers by Petr I. Tchaikovski
Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 2, Waltz by Petr I. Tchaikovski

Choreographer listed: Matteo Zanni

Source: ISU App

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Skaters have to listen to their music every day, multiple times per day and for several months throughout the competitive season. They SHOULD pick music that they like and think it's going to be fun for them to skate to.
And yet, more often than not I think: "If I were in [insert skater's name] I'd shoot myself after a week."

I am still amazed how some skaters survived a whole season or even two with atrocious music. Menshov's crazy violin program comes to mind.

Karen-W

Haven't seen this here yet... Nina Pinzarrone FS - Spartacus

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

That's gutsy.
I loved her in her last FS and I thought that "sweet" would suit her for the years to come, but...go ahead.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Using some of the sweetest-sounding part of the score. Unusual.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Gonna keep my mouth shut about how people fuss about ice dancers skating to Paula Abdul, but everybody and his mother can skate to "Singin' in the Rain," probably the most iconic movie dance of all time, and no one says a word about how they can't dance like Gene Kelly. :p

Karen-W

Chan/Howe FS - Exogenesis Symphony by Muse

I believe we already knew their SP is going to be an Elvis medley.

Hot Ghost is really testing me with these FS selections this season and last.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara

SP: I Put A Spell On You by Kandace Springs, Slotkin Hawkins*
FS: Une chance qu'on s'a by Celine Dion, Jean-Pierre Ferland

Choreographer listed: Julie Marcotte

*(Guess they mean Slotkin and Hawkins?)

Last edited:

chantilly

Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara

SP: I Put A Spell On You by Kandace Springs, Slotkin Hawkins*
FS: Une chance qu'on s'a by Celine Dion, Jean-Pierre Ferland

Choreographer listed: Julie Marcotte

*(Guess they mean Slotkin and Hawkins?)
Hmm.
Not what I was looking forward to as a music choice.
This for me doesn’t do their sparkling and light personalities justice.
Seems very old fashioned again.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Gonna keep my mouth shut about how people fuss about ice dancers skating to Paula Abdul, but everybody and his mother can skate to "Singin' in the Rain," probably the most iconic movie dance of all time, and no one says a word about how they can't dance like Gene Kelly. :p
Actually Mr Bunny Hop and I usually complain that nobody can skate to it like Kurt Browning. :shuffle:
Lilah Fear/Lewis Gibson

RD: Sweet Dreams/Here Comes the Rain Again by the Eurythmics
Yes! My favourite team skatig to some of my favourite songs. Looking forward to this one.

Marta24

Having seen the FD, this should have stayed in the exhibition world. This is really where their shtick jumped the shark for me...
Yeah. I usually enjoy their fun programmes, but this is too much camp for me. All these shadow boxing moves, push ups and rope jumping....everything is too much right now. I'm curious to see how the international judges are going to score this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information