2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

Jonas

Yes, that triple twist of theirs was fantastic! I worry about Chelsea's consistency on SBS triples, but we'll see.

McBeath/Parkman had a fabulous death spiral - she did a Chock-split entrance into it; and their triple twist was also really high and light.

Lots to get excited about with both of these new teams.

I was only able to catch a glimpse of the short programs, but I, too, am very excited about both of these teams!!

Few seasons back I saw Nagy skate on the junior level for the US and I distinctly remember that he had the makings to become a really solid male partner for the US -- solid build for lifts and throws and, yes, not terrible on the eyes! I knew then, too, that his partnership wouldn't last because he was CLEARLY the stronger partner. I am far more confident that he and Chelsea Liu can, with time and energy and PATIENCE invested, gel into a solid and better matched pair for the US going into Cortina. Chelsea did land a solid, albeit < perhaps, sbs 3Sal in the short.

From the short glimpse I've seen of McBeath and Parkman, I'd say that they're coming along quite nicely too -- including a decent attempt at sbs 3flips!! Again, with time, energy, and PATIENCE, I think they can gel into solid contenders for Cortina.

Your thoughts...

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Chiming in quickly here I watched the four pairs at glacier Falls. I thought all four teams were really nice. Trying to remember the short program start order. I really like the first team and the last team but wow can Chelsea Liu do a triple twist with the person she’s with now

in regards to the last team that performed fourth and I think we’re also fourth score wise, but barely both he and her can really emote and perform. it was so nice both of their programs. I thought all four men were really good partners.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The pair SP I enjoyed watching the most was the one that did the Michael Jackson/80's number.

yes, this is the team I’m referencing right above this post. They are brilliant, but I think they came in last place but just barely. I say this is the team to watch. I also like the very first team to skate in the short program start order gosh I’m trying to remember everyone’s names. They had purple outfits.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Martins/Bedard have been added to the ISP!

So, that gives us 3 teams in the mix for the 2 open SkAm spots - Liu/Nagy, Martins/Bedard and the Mokhovs. We'll have to see if any other teams are added after the Battle of the Blades NQS which is in three weeks on August 24-26. We haven't seen Hanns/Neudecker or Digerness/Sadusky compete yet and the only competition for Fitzpatrick/Bearinger at Skate Detroit (the pairs there wasn't a NQS event).

It was also noted in Kiss & Cry that Izzo/Ferland are entered to compete at the Souvenir Georges Éthier event September 21-24 - not sure if this means she's been released by the USFS or what.

RoseRed

Martins/Bedard have been added to the ISP!

So, that gives us 3 teams in the mix for the 2 open SkAm spots - Liu/Nagy, Martins/Bedard and the Mokhovs. We'll have to see if any other teams are added after the Battle of the Blades NQS which is in three weeks on August 24-26. We haven't seen Hanns/Neudecker or Digerness/Sadusky compete yet and the only competition for Fitzpatrick/Bearinger at Skate Detroit (the pairs there wasn't a NQS event).

It was also noted in Kiss & Cry that Izzo/Ferland are entered to compete at the Souvenir Georges Éthier event September 21-24 - not sure if this means she's been released by the USFS or what.
I don't know if it indicates a release (Deanna and Max competed there in 2019 before she got hers), but they are listed with Quebec clubs and regions. International teams sometimes are if they train there (like Tanaka/Nishiyama in dance), but it at least makes me think that for now they'll be based in Quebec. Which in turn makes me lean Canada for which country they'll compete for. But we'll see.

For the US TBD spots, it seems like one will probably go to Liu/Nagy. Not sure about the 2nd.

moonvine

yes, this is the team I’m referencing right above this post. They are brilliant, but I think they came in last place but just barely. I say this is the team to watch. I also like the very first team to skate in the short program start order gosh I’m trying to remember everyone’s names. They had purple outfits.
The team that came in last place was Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman, current US Junior champions. Their coach watered down their routine for their debut senior competition. They can do much harder things. And yes they are brilliant. US National senior pairs is going to be lit.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The team that came in last place was Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman, current US Junior champions. Their coach watered down their routine for their debut senior competition. They can do much harder things. And yes they are brilliant. US National senior pairs is going to be lit.

thanks for the refresh and the 411, they have star quality

Karen-W

Well, damn. While I'm not surprised they split, I really hope this doesn't mean the end of skating for Daniel. I do hope Sonia is able to find a new partner too.

tennellicious

Banned Member
FFS - the discipline isn't dying. Check the general pairs discussion thread over in the Trash Can - there are quite a few new pairs teams forming all over the world.
yes, I've seen your personal pairs blog here.

new teams may be forming, but they're breaking up even faster. and let's be real—i hate to sound like a third rate propagandist—but without Russian pairs, the appalling level, lack of depth, and fragility of the entire discipline has been exposed.

figure skating as a sport is most definitely not thriving, but shrinking—and pairs will be the first discipline to go. sad but true

LoisAGOEs

new teams may be forming, but they're breaking up even faster. and let's be real—i hate to sound like a third rate propagandist—but without Russian pairs, the appalling level, lack of depth, and fragility of the entire discipline has been exposed.

figure skating as a sport is most definitely not thriving, but shrinking—and pairs will be the first discipline to go. sad but true
Russian pairs and particularly ice dance teams are forming and splitting almost as fast.

Tesla

Whippet Good

Actually, I think the opposite has happened with the absence of the Russians. Pairs has seen a resurgence around the world. Yes, they are young but they're learning and getting better. I think figure skating is thriving without the Russians.

Hedwig

Antique member
Actually, I think the opposite has happened with the absence of the Russians. Pairs has seen a resurgence around the world. Yes, they are young but they're learning and getting better. I think figure skating is thriving without the Russians.
Yes. Before it was almost an „what is the point?“ but now we see a lot of potential and I think it is here to stay.

Willin

Definitely!

Without the Russian teams the field was blown wide open. Lots of skaters are now seeing chances for success they never had in singles and are trying it out. I think it's making things a lot more fun and interesting.

Karen-W

Well, well, well... Oakton has just announced that Fletcher/Felberbaum have been added to the ISP!

I hope this means the US will be sending 2 or 3 teams to each of the last two JGPs.

So far, Flores/Wang, Williams/Lewer and Zheng/Deng each have one assignment.

Karen-W

Updating the known US Pairs teams, both junior and senior, as well as ISP teams (just updated to include Martins/Bedard!).

Senior age-eligible
Chan/Howe ISP (assigned to CoC and NHK Trophy)
Cooke/Kennedy
Delis/Schwab
Digerness/Sadusky
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger
Hanns/Neudecker
Kam/O'Shea ISP (assigned to GPdF and GP Espoo)
Liu/Nagy ISP
Martins/Bedard ISP
Mokhova/Mokhov ISP (SB Top 75 - in the first 10 group of GP alternates - probably will pick up at least one GP assignment)

Ouellette/Newby-Estrella
Plazas/Fernandez ISP (assigned to SkAm and GPdF)
Rivers/Rensing
Smirnova/Siianytsia ISP (assigned to CoC and NHK Trophy)

Efimova/Mitrofanov* (eligible for the ISP in April 2024)
Izzo/Ferland* (USA? CAN? no one knows, lol)
Korytek/Chapman* (age-ineligible)
McBeath/Parkman* (eligible for the ISP in Dec 2023)

Junior age-eligible
Carpenter/Maravilla
Fletcher/Felberbaum ISP (per Oakton IG announcement - not yet reflected on USFS page)
Flores/Wang ISP (assigned to JGP #2 Linz)

Grohne/Lunt (he still needs to pass the Jr pairs test)
Park/Griffin
Williams/Lewer ISP (assigned to JGP #3 Istanbul)
Zheng/Deng ISP (assigned to JGP #3 Istanbul)

Karen-W

Autumn Classic assignments are out and the first internationals for Liu/Nagy and Martins/Bedard.

I must say, I'm a bit surprised the Mokhovs weren't also sent.

Who knows when we'll see the entry list for the John Nicks Pairs Challenge since the SCoNY rarely publishes those entries until a day or two beforehand.

ice coverage

Updating the known US Pairs teams, both junior and senior, as well as ISP teams (just updated to include Martins/Bedard!).

Senior age-eligible
Chan/Howe ISP (assigned to CoC and NHK Trophy)
Cooke/Kennedy
Delis/Schwab
Digerness/Sadusky
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger
Hanns/Neudecker
Kam/O'Shea ISP (assigned to GPdF and GP Espoo)
Liu/Nagy ISP
Martins/Bedard ISP
Mokhova/Mokhov ISP (SB Top 75 - in the first 10 group of GP alternates - probably will pick up at least one GP assignment)

Ouellette/Newby-Estrella
Plazas/Fernandez ISP (assigned to SkAm and GPdF)
Rivers/Rensing
Smirnova/Siianytsia ISP (assigned to CoC and NHK Trophy) ...

Whenever you update your lists again, I think it would be worth adding annotations that Delis/Schwab and Rivers/Rensing competed as Juniors at Glacier Falls NQS.
Meaning that both pairs are on track to qualify as Juniors for U.S. Pairs Final and for Nats -- with no possibility of qualifying as Seniors.

... Junior age-eligible
Carpenter/Maravilla
Fletcher/Felberbaum ISP (per Oakton IG announcement - not yet reflected on USFS page)
Flores/Wang ISP (assigned to JGP #2 Linz)

Grohne/Lunt (he still needs to pass the Jr pairs test)
Park/Griffin
Williams/Lewer ISP (assigned to JGP #3 Istanbul)
Zheng/Deng ISP (assigned to JGP #3 Istanbul)

One way that Lunt could fulfill the Junior test requirement would be for Grohne/Lunt to compete Junior at an NQS event and then for Lunt to submit the IJS protocol for test credit (assuming that they meet the score requirements for test credit).

Meanwhile, Grohne/Lunt are entered in this week's non-NQS Cup of Colorado in Novice Pairs.
" Test qualifications for nonqualifying events must be met by closing date of entries, " per USFS Rule 7400.

(As mentioned in a previous post, from Rule 2421: For NQS, athletes may “skate up” and enter a higher level than their current test level; however, in order to advance to the sectional final, U.S. Pairs Final or U.S. Ice Dance Final, athletes must have passed the appropriate test per rule 2422, by the conclusion of the NQS. NQS competitions will be considered nonqualifying competitions for the purpose of Test Credit from IJS Protocol, outlined in rule 4201.)

Hope I have all of that straight. 🙏

Last edited:

Karen-W

Whenever you update your lists again, I think it would be worth adding annotations that Delis/Schwab and Rivers/Rensing competed as Juniors at Glacier Falls NQS.
Meaning that both pairs are on track to qualify as Juniors for U.S. Pairs Final and for Nats -- with no possibility of qualifying as Seniors.

I'll definitely make that notation the next time I update the list.

Meanwhile, Grohne/Lunt are entered in this week's non-NQS Cup of Colorado in Novice Pairs.
Do you have a results link? I'm curious as to which teams are competing there since there are quite a few Colorado-based pairs teams who haven't competed yet this summer.

ETA2 - found the link - Grohne/Lunt and Hanns/Neudecker are the only pairs teams entered.

ETA - just checked the ISP and not only have Fletcher/Felberbaum finally been added, but so have Hanns/Neudecker AND Ouellette/Newby-Estrella!!!

Last edited:

Karen-W

Karen-W

Reede Lunt has posted clips/videos of their SP & FS at Cup of Colorado on his IG -

I would honestly be a bit surprised if they try to compete juniors at Nats this year based on the level of difficulty in the lift and a single twist in the SP. They're young though, so they have plenty of time to move up and compete in juniors internationally next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information