Aljona Savchenko will stop coaching for KNSB

sus2850

She was not fired, as far as I know. She wanted to leave the contract early and took 2 coaches with her back to Germany. See posts in the German news thread.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
She was not fired, as far as I know. She wanted to leave the contract early and took 2 coaches with her back to Germany. See posts in the German news thread.
Thanks for the clarification.

BTW I am accepting bets on how long she will manage NOT to piss everyone off in Chemnitz and how long it will take for her to look for another job.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I think there are people who are successful at a particular skill or career goal who cannot mentor others. I've met them in work situations, in volunteer situations, in the gym...everywhere.

They don't Understand why their methods used to make them successful in the first place, aren't working. They don't understand why someone isn't applauding their efforts. They do not understand why they are not successful.

Ajlona is that person. So she is jumping from one place to the other (or is fired). She's still thinking her approach is the only right way, can't grasp what's wrong.

canbelto

I'll bet you anything that if you ask Aljona, she'll say that these skaters are lazy and unmotivated, and don't have what it takes to be a champ. While ignoring the fact that champs are made and not born, and even in elite skating not everyone is necessarily going to be OGM or worlds gold medalist.

becca

It is not about standards, it is about her personality
But honestly if something comes as easy for someone else or if someone is willing to put a ridiculous amount of
Hours something is.

I read a story about a great Soviet champion gymnasts. And apparently the coaches bet that he would not be able to teach a kid how to do a forward role.

They watched and the guy started swearing at the kid saying the kid was stupid.

canbelto

But honestly if something comes as easy for someone else or if someone is willing to put a ridiculous amount of
Hours something is.

I read a story about a great Soviet champion gymnasts. And apparently the coaches bet that he would not be able to teach a kid how to do a forward role.

They watched and the guy started swearing at the kid saying the kid was stupid.

Olga Korbut was very vocal about the abusiveness of her Soviet coach Renald Knysh. However when she moved to the US she was fired from some coaching jobs for being harsh and abusive.

Vagabond

Savchenko herself has been vocal about how abusive her own coaches were.

(The link is geoblocked in the U.S. but not here in "Peru.")

“I had coaches who would hit me on the head with pads if I did any elements badly," she said. "I’ve had coaches shooting water pistols in the cold ice rink. I’ve had coaches who gave us little food. Sometimes it was like a punishment: get up in the morning, first weigh yourself, then eat a little, have a salad for lunch, and nothing at all in the evening,” she said.

"There were times where we were hungry. We secretly asked for food in the canteen, stole something here and there and ate in hiding. There was no other way. Yes, you have to be disciplined if you want to achieve something. But you also have to know your limits. How far do I actually go?

"There was also a trainer who forced me to train, even though my body couldn’t do it. We are human beings and not machines.”

One of the worst things about abusive people is that they frequently turn those they abuse into abusive people too.

Last edited:

becca

Olga Korbut was very vocal about the abusiveness of her Soviet coach Renald Knysh. However when she moved to the US she was fired from some coaching jobs for being harsh and abusive.
The story wasn’t about abuse though the Soviet coaches thought the guy was so talented that he couldn’t understand why things that came easily to him didn’t come easy to others.

His coach actually was pretty famous and actually didn’t have a reputation of being physically abusive.

skateboy

Savchenko herself has been vocal about how abusive her own coaches were.

(The link is geoblocked in the U.S. but not here in "Peru.")

One of the worst things about abusive people is that they frequently turn those they abuse into abusive people too.
All very well. So, how would Savchenko have fared as a singles skater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information