Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Also two-time Olympic champion in biathlon and adviser to the Minister of Sports Anna Bogaliy spoke about the preparation of a mobilization reservation system for professional athletes.

“As far as I know, the Ministry of Sports is working to ensure that mobilization does not affect professional athletes.

A certain reservation system is being developed now.”
:rolleyes:

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I don't think it makes much sense to say "why should figure skaters be saved" when we are talking about an unjust and evil war. You avoid being drafted to commit atrocities by any means necessary. At least if you understand that the war is wrong.
It's not just that anyone should try to avoid mobilisation on ethical grounds, which they should, but also that it's basically a death sentence. Even professional Russian troops have been suffering casualties at several times the rate of the Ukrainian armed forces, so these unfit civilians who are being thrown on the front lines without equipment and training can't be expected to contribute militarily in any way. I would say the smartest thing to do would be to surrender as soon as they can, but even that is difficult in modern warfare, which often entails mutual shelling of positions rather than the close contact necessary for surrender.

The fact the Russian government are mobilising all the young men they can find and throwing them to the wolves like this shows they value Russian lives just as little as Ukrainian ones. The sheer contempt for humanity is appalling.

Last edited:

starrynight

The fact the Russian government are mobilising all the young men they can find and throwing them to the wolves like this shows they value Russian lives just as little as Ukrainian ones. The sheer contempt for humanity is appalling.

Somewhere I read it as the ‘we will keep killing our people until you give us what we want’ style of diplomacy.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Update from Jonathan Guerreiro - he and Tiffany are taking this season off to allow her to continue her recovery.

shine

Exactly. I do not condone what Russia has done. And I really don’t think highly about people whose form of reasoning is to label everyone who doesn’t have the same opinion as them as Putin’s apologists.

I think I would put it the other way round. Not “if two countries can do battle and the West doesn’t question it, why Russia can’t do the same” because then it is like condoning war. I am strongly against war.
My argument is more like “why don’t we use the same sanctions for every country who does the same”. Why there are sanctions against some countries and not against other countries doing the same thing. I am not advocating for allowing Russia do war because there is war between others countries. I am advocating for sanctions against any country actively involved with war. And that doesn’t make me Putins apologist!
Thank you. And also, why hasn’t the US been banned from ISU yet considering how many have died as a result of the wars this country has led? I guess it’s okay because, you know, they are all fighting for democracy and freedom, eh? Unsurprisingly, western/G7 hypocrisy and ignorance is through the roof here.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Can you folks who want to ENDLESSLY discuss and dissect why this country or that country has or hasn't been banned from international sports competitions because of war, invasion, human rights abuses, or whatever take it to this thread?

Dobre

Is Zhulin eligible for the draft? ( He is 59) :EVILLE:
They are, indeed, drafting guys older than that: https://twitter.com/HalibutAngry/status/1575067425233506304?cxt=HHwWgMCopc3e4dsrAAAA

Tatiana Navka's stepson (post doesn't say which one) said he will not be going to war. Who you know at this point will really count.
Snowden's lawyer says that too, but the lawyer's argument is that Snowden hasn't served in Russia's armed forces. I've got news for him. Plenty of guys in occupied Ukraine haven't either & have been very much drafted by Russia.

Me thinking that the average career length of an Eteri lady is quite plausibly a bigger problem for Valieva's likelihood of competing again in a major ISU event than how long Russia keeps fighting in Ukraine. Me also wondering how Tarasova became so optimistic about Aliev's & Ignatov's (or Samarin's) chances of making a World team even if Russia was likely to have one. (That said, I've no interest in losing our figure skating trainwrecks to Putin's ego. Do what you can, Tat).

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Can you folks who want to ENDLESSLY discuss and dissect why this country or that country has or hasn't been banned from international sports competitions because of war, invasion, human rights abuses, or whatever take it to this thread?

That or PI. This thread will be closed (again) if people can't move on.

starrynight

Update from Jonathan Guerreiro - he and Tiffany are taking this season off to allow her to continue her recovery.

I’m not surprised that Jonathan, who is Australian born and did all his schooling in Australia isn’t lining up to go back into Russia and possibly get drafted.

I can see from Instagram that Tiffany is in France, so I assume Jonathan is either with her or in Australia.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Аccording to the high shot from the sports ministry (yet another Morozov) Aliev got a draft to update his data and prove he is not abroad (guess appearing on Ch1 is not a proof). He didn't say anything about Ignatov.

Bigbird

They need the athletes to rinse cash. And also for their propaganda machine. So their is that.

A significant portion of the funds from these shows are returned to the government I imagine.

Sad all around.

airgelaal

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Here:
`It's a tough time. If the draft note came it does not mean you would be sent to the battle field. Perhaps it would be fair if everyone, including me, were ready for the possible future situation. I don't see the reason to panic, escape and hide. Unfortunately many had left. I do not support that. I am home in Novogorsk now. If I should be drafted I will not run away. I will gladly undergo the training. We have to protect our children and our future. That's my position and I would like people to hear it'.

Guess it's a matter of interpretation....

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Pluschenko can play the biggest patriot all he wants - given who he is married to and his medical history the odds of him being drafted are 0. Why doesn't he just choose to STFU is a different question, but, IIRC he was never the brightest cookie in the jar....

greenapple

I’m not surprised that Jonathan, who is Australian born and did all his schooling in Australia isn’t lining up to go back into Russia and possibly get drafted.

I can see from Instagram that Tiffany is in France, so I assume Jonathan is either with her or in Australia.
Jonathan and his family returned to Australia in March. I cannot see them leaving that safe haven for any reason. Plus he has two brothers who are also eligible to be drafted.

airgelaal

`It's a tough time. If the draft note came it does not mean you would be sent to the battle field. Perhaps it would be fair if everyone, including me, were ready for the possible future situation. I don't see the reason to panic, escape and hide. Unfortunately many had left. I do not support that. I am home in Novogorsk now. If I should be drafted I will not run away. I will gladly undergo the training. We have to protect our children and our future. That's my position and I would like people to hear it'.

Guess it's a matter of interpretation....
This is the message he promotes. It is obvious that he will stay at home. I don't doubt it. But he is agitating russian men to go and kill Ukrainians.

soogar

zebraswan

This is the message he promotes. It is obvious that he will stay at home. I don't doubt it. But he is agitating russian men to go and kill Ukrainians.

Does anyone really take him seriously? Especially among the average populace, I don't think "manly men" would regard him very well after Sochi.

He won't be drafted, but I would love to see him sanctioned for life.

reut

If Plushenko wants to "protect his children and his future" he should do a very, VERY different thing.
It really kills me, this hypocrisy of "protecting children", there is zero danger to his children unlike children in Ukraine.

And, yeah, "being drafted" doesn't mean "to undergo training", in this new reality it quite literally means that in 3-4 days you go and start killing Ukrainians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information