Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

vgerdes

Top Gun 2 totally lived up to the hype. It is a classic summer blockbuster with great action sequences and engaging storytelling. A truly “they don’t make them like this anymore” kind of film. I wasn’t interested at all about seeing it but planned to go with my brother since we haven’t been to the theater in a long time and thought this would be a nice way to start the summer. It was exhilarating in a way that an action movie has not been in a long time IMO. It feels so weird to say this about Top Gun 2 of all things but it’s the most satisfying movie I’ve seen in a long time.
Yes. I loved the latest Dr. Strange movie, a lot, but Top Gun Maverick was an adrenaline rush like I haven't experienced in a theater in what feels like forever. You could really feel the lack of CGI. The aerial scenes were the real deal. I didn't expect to fall in love with this movie, I just went for the nostalgia, but it's REALLY GOOD in its own right. There were even a few scenes that packed an emotional wallop, which I didn't expect. Val Kilmer didn't have much screen time, but his presence was felt in a huge way.

watchthis!!

I watched the 1961 version of West Side Story recently. I would have SWORN that I had seen it at some point. But while so many of the scenes (songs) are iconic, there were parts of the movie that I don't remember. So I guess I never saw it! :eek: I watched it because I wanted to see it again before watching the new version. Turns out I never saw the original from start to finish. IT'S SO GOOD!!! The music, all the dance scenes, wonderful story (who came up with that, anyway?). ;) Just enjoyable from start to finish. Now I can't wait to see the new version and see what they did with it. I have so many questions about what to expect, but I want to be surprised, so I won't ask any questions here. :D

Davy88gtbwxyc

Who here appreciates a good zombie movie? 🧟‍♀️ ..

Of the few that I've seen, I recall being pleasantly surprised at how fun they were to watch.

"Zombieland Double Tap" starring Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin and Emma Stone was as good a zombie movie as they come in my opinion.

I find Eisenberg's character to be somewhat amusing because of how nerdy and quick-witted he is, which contrasts nicely with Harrelson's character who is more of the jock type.

.. (Insert interesting & insightful commentary here) 👌 ..

After watching this movie, I feel confident in my ability to survive a zombie appocalypse. 🧟‍♀️

LeafOnTheWind

I don't typically like zombie movies but here are the ones I do enjoy:

Both Zombieland movies. They were funny enough without being too gross.
Warm Bodies. It has hope and love which was unique to any zombie movie I had watched before.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Just because it's weird. My favorite scene is preparing for the ball with their fancy dresses complete with strap on weapons. :lol:

vgerdes

I don't typically like zombie movies but here are the ones I do enjoy:

Both Zombieland movies. They were funny enough without being too gross.
Warm Bodies. It has hope and love which was unique to any zombie movie I had watched before.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Just because it's weird. My favorite scene is preparing for the ball with their fancy dresses complete with strap on weapons. :lol:
I loved Warm Bodies, which is unusual for me because, like you, I'm not a zombie movie fan. But the premise was unique, as you said, and the acting of the leads was excellent, IMO. I found myself rooting for the zombie to get the girl, LOL. I'll have to check out the others you mentioned.

Cachoo

I like those mentioned and in the humor vein I liked "The Dead Don't Die" with Bill Murray and Adam Driver. In the "less gore" but compelling story vein I enjoyed "Pontypool" and "The Bay."

orbitz

Jurassic World Dominion currently is at 40% on Rotten Tomatoes. Yikes. I didn't care for the last film so won't be shelling out $ for this one.

Black Adam trailer looks too heavy-handed to me.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once and honestly, it's going to take a lot for any other new release this year to top that. It's so good. I wish I had been able to catch it in theatre but April was a busy month for me and the movie was only here for a couple of weeks.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once and honestly, it's going to take a lot for any other new release this year to top that. It's so good. I wish I had been able to catch it in theatre but April was a busy month for me and the movie was only here for a couple of weeks.
Where can I stream it?

watchthis!!

I think they were talking about this on The Social and said that it's one that should definitely be seen in the theatre. Maybe you will get to catch it during it's re-release. :D

Jay42

Where can I stream it?
Unfortunately it's not on regular streaming yet. It's out for digital release so I bought it through the Apple store because I watch digital movies via my Apple TV box. It's physical release is around July 14th and I imagine it'll be on streaming services sometime after that but I don't know who has the licence to stream A24 stuff.
I think they were talking about this on The Social and said that it's one that should definitely be seen in the theatre. Maybe you will get to catch it during it's re-release. :D
I wish but I live in a small city in northern Alberta. I'm surprised the movie showed here at all much less for the 2 weeks it was here.

LeafOnTheWind

but I don't know who has the licence to stream A24 stuff.
I was just looking this up today because I want to see it. Netflix and Amazon Prime have streamed A24 stuff before but it's not a guarantee that it will be there. I don't think a streaming service has been announced yet.

Unfortunately it's not on regular streaming yet. It's out for digital release so I bought it through the Apple store because I watch digital movies via my Apple TV box. It's physical release is around July 14th and I imagine it'll be on streaming services sometime after that but I don't know who has the licence to stream A24 stuff.

I wish but I live in a small city in northern Alberta. I'm surprised the movie showed here at all much less for the 2 weeks it was here.
It didn’t even come to my small northern BC city :rolleyes:

Jay42

It didn’t even come to my small northern BC city :rolleyes:
I feel like that's something that crops up a lot with movies that open limited and go wide. It's rare we get them here and while I'm not 100% on what the movie dynamics of small northern BC cities are I can't imagine they're that different than my small northern Alberta city. If I ever were to move to Edmonton I would be the most insufferable movie person imaginable.

I feel like that's something that crops up a lot with movies that open limited and go wide. It's rare we get them here and while I'm not 100% on what the movie dynamics of small northern BC cities are I can't imagine they're that different than my small northern Alberta city. If I ever were to move to Edmonton I would be the most insufferable movie person imaginable.
We basically get blockbusters, the odd rom com, and kids movies. But our theatre is so horrible, no renovations or upgrades since it opened in the late 90s, freezing cold all the time, among other issues, that I hate to give them any of my money anyway. I generally just watch movies in my comfy theatre room. It also has the added bonus of a lab to snuggle with. But some movies are better experienced in a theatre with other people. I hold out hope that another theatre will open here that doesn’t suck.

Judy

LeafOnTheWind

My friend's birthday is on Wednesday and pre-pandemic we always went to a restaurant that gave a free birthday meal and then the movie theater next door. It's probably going to be Top Gun or the Sandra Bullock movie. Still not sure what we are going to see but it feels good to get back to routine.

Judy

My friend's birthday is on Wednesday and pre-pandemic we always went to a restaurant that gave a free birthday meal and then the movie theater next door. It's probably going to be Top Gun or the Sandra Bullock movie. Still not sure what we are going to see but it feels good to get back to routine.
Top Gun!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Lightyear! Except it doesn't open until Friday. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information