Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

quartz

scratching at the light
Dang! Zverev just taken off court in a wheelchair during an absolutely fabulous semi-final battle with Nadal. Sasha rolled his ankle, very badly.

eta… Sasha out on the court on crutches to formally withdraw, big hug from Nadal. You hate to see this end this way.

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I first saw Nadal play on this day in 2005 when he won the semis against Federer, and learned we shared the same birthday. It’s been a tradition to watch him at the FO since and I always root for him to win. Not this way though. :(

sk9tingfan

iDang! Zverev just taken off court in a wheelchair during an absolutely fabulous semi-final battle with Nadal. Sasha rolled his ankle, very badly.

eta… Sasha out on the court on crutches to formally withdraw, big hug from Nadal. You hate to see this end this way.
Was so nervous for Nadal that I couldn't watch live (I know, I'm a woos). Decided to check scores online, saw the match was suspended and then immediately turned on the TV only to see Zerev hobbling off on crutches! OMG!

Desperado

I’m fine with Nadal having and easier day on court than expected. Curious to see how Cilic does, he may continue a surprise winning streak in the finals too. Nice to see new names in the mix.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Awful for Sascha. But that match was really long even before the 2nd set would have ended, over 3 hours… imagine if it went to 5! I don’t think Rafa would have made it out on Sunday. He might not be playing again for some time due to his foot issue, he’s having injections before each match :( he definitely won’t be at Wimbledon.

So no Federer, Nadal, Medvedev, Rublev or presumably Zverev at Wimbledon, and more might drop out due to no ranking points. Looking very good for Djokovic to get that 21st slam. I assume it will still count as a slam even without ranking points…?

sk9tingfan

Sorry that Coco did not win, but tomorrow, she has a chance for the doubles title. Given that it was her first Grand Slam final, I'm proud of her.

Sylvia

TBD
Christopher Clarey's tweets & NYT article after the women's final: https://twitter.com/christophclarey/status/1533128426546253824
Bravo to Iga Swiatek for her 35th straight victory
Only 39 more to go to match Martina Navratilova and only 145 to go to match Helen Wills
Women's tennis has some serious streaks

Touching, open press conference from Coco Gauff, still wiping away the tears but comfortable enough in her skin to share her hopes and vulnerabilities despite the disappointment. A remarkable 18-year-old or better yet, just remarkable period
Clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHR_3Wzlv0

Coco's tweet: https://twitter.com/CocoGauff/status/1533146461801684993
these past two weeks have been filled with so many emotions and i am so grateful for this moment. thank you to everyone for all of the support.
grand slam finalist….
i’ll bounce back.

ps: tournament is not quite over for me yet… doubles final tomorrow allezzzz

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Rafa’s situation all through the tournament kept reminding me of when Shen & Zhao won Worlds with her foot anaesthetised so she couldn’t feel it. So amazing that Rafa has managed to get through these 2 weeks. No matter what happens in future he can be very proud of everything he has accomplished all these years :wuzrobbed :respec: :swoon:

millyskate

Raducanu has just withdrawn * again *

I have no idea if the injuries are physical or psychological but this is a complete trainwreck. She needs to take time off and either attempt a comeback in a year's time or cherish her grand slam win and go to uni.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Emma has actually had a different injury every month this year! :eek: she’s always been like this though, in juniors too apparently.

*Jen*

I actually did a Zverev a few hours before him, so I cringed when I saw the footage and worse…the still photos. Not the way that you want to win a match but I’m still glad Rafa won.

Who of the men are even playing Wimbledon…? It’ll be an interesting tournament. Feels like the changing of the guard!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I actually did a Zverev a few hours before him, so I cringed when I saw the footage and worse…the still photos. Not the way that you want to win a match but I’m still glad Rafa won.

Who of the men are even playing Wimbledon…? It’ll be an interesting tournament. Feels like the changing of the guard!
You twisted your ankle? I hope you are ok! :(

Zverev has now had surgery and will be out at least 2 months.

For Wimbledon:

Yes: Djokovic, Tsitsipas, Alcaraz, Ruud
No: Medvedev, Rublev, Zverev
TBC: Nadal

Rafa is on crutches after starting the therapy to burn part of the nerve in his foot but they are hopeful he will be there! :eek:

Murray and Norrie should both be there for GB.

*Jen*

Alcarez is raw talent. I said during the Australian Open he will be the next big thing!

Nick Kyrgios is so boring. He’s got such talent but the tantrums make him unwatchable. I know he’s had his demons in the past, but he’s established enough now to invest in a good psychologist to learn how to be a good sport :blah:

Desperado

I didn't watch the match because I don't like either player, but I listened to the The Tennis Podcast this morning. The consensus was that Tsitsipas should've been defaulted for the ball in the stands but owned up to it in the press conference and apoligized. They said T. saw Kyrgios' behaviour as bullying and they agreed that he certainly was towards umpires. In his press conference, Kyrgios called Tsitsipas "soft" which Catherine said reeked of toxic masculinity. (I agree.)

Outside of a few players, I rarely watch ATP tennis now, even in Grand Slams. I just don't have it in me to watch for hours spoiled millionaires acting out (on court and off) all the while being adored by their fans.

At the very least, they should all travel with a sport psychologist and get any problematic parents to stay home.

ross_hy

There was a lovely ceremony this morning celebrating 100 years of Centre Court. There was a large number of former champions on hand (Borg, McEnroe, Laver, King plus current players like Venus, Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray) but the biggest applause by far was when they brought Roger Federer out at the end. When interviewed, he mentioned trying to make one more go at the tournament next year.

To back up what @Desperado said, if you're a tennis fan and not listening to The Tennis Podcast, you're missing out!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I didn't watch the match because I don't like either player, but I listened to the The Tennis Podcast this morning. The consensus was that Tsitsipas should've been defaulted for the ball in the stands but owned up to it in the press conference and apoligized. They said T. saw Kyrgios' behaviour as bullying and they agreed that he certainly was towards umpires. In his press conference, Kyrgios called Tsitsipas "soft" which Catherine said reeked of toxic masculinity. (I agree.)

Outside of a few players, I rarely watch ATP tennis now, even in Grand Slams. I just don't have it in me to watch for hours spoiled millionaires acting out (on court and off) all the while being adored by their fans.

At the very least, they should all travel with a sport psychologist and get any problematic parents to stay home.
To me it's rather baffling that T's behaviour during the match was clearly worse - to the point he should have been thrown out - and yet still it's somehow all Kygrios' fault. No wonder the dude has a contentious relationship with the press. Tsitsipas literally pelted a ball at a spectator!

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
It’s a shame about Nick. He has so many talents, very entertaining trick shots. His ‘tweener serve is great. If he wants to he would be great doing exhibition tennis matches where the score doesn’t really matter.
But his behaviour towards umpires is horrible. It’s not just him, a few other players are frequently verbally abusive and threatening towards umpires. I feel terribly sorry for umpires. They are only human and sometimes do make the odd bad call. They don’t deserve some of the cruel insults they get.

I know players like Nick and Sascha Zverev have been fined, but the amounts mean nothing to these guys who make multi millions every year. Even if their prize money was all taken their endorsement deals are still huge.

antmanb

To me it's rather baffling that T's behaviour during the match was clearly worse - to the point he should have been thrown out - and yet still it's somehow all Kygrios' fault. No wonder the dude has a contentious relationship with the press. Tsitsipas literally pelted a ball at a spectator!
:confused: Who is blaming Kygrios for Tsitsipas's behaviour? All I'm reading is how they both had their moments during the match, and the crowd clearly turned on Tsitsipas during the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information