Figure skater & team retirement announcements in 2021-22

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Sorry about that…but the future is bright. I really loved GB’s Junior dance champs, Bekker/Hernandez, at Jr Worlds. Being two absolutely-gorgeous persons doesn’t hurt. 😉

Sylvia

TBD
Link to Sofia Samodurova's retirement news thread that was created in GSD on April 29:

Cross-posting these links from the Canadian Ice Dance news & Dance Hall threads...

2022 Canadian Junior ice dance champion and World Junior silver medalist Natalie D'Alessandro (with Bruce Waddell) announced her retirement on May 3rd: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdHCO8Quqy1/

It is with deep gratitude that I am announcing my retirement from competitive skating. This fall I will be trading in my skates for books and will be attending full time university.

There is an endless list of people I would like to thank, but a few I would like to mention in particular.

@bruce_wads, I am so thankful for all the great adventures we had. I wouldn’t of wanted to travel the world and do what I love with anyone else. Words can’t describe the feelings of happiness performing with you brought me.

To my coach of 7 years @andrew_hallam, who gives nothing but 100% in everything he does, thank you. You were not only a coach but also a mentor that brought out the best version of me and believed in me even when I doubted myself.

@joeyrussell, from choreographing my favourite Freeskate program to One Love, to helping us become Canadian Junior Champions, your tremendous help along the way made it all possible. Thank you for keeping me grounded.

Finally, to my very first coaches Judi Boyle and Patty Cranston, thank you for igniting my love for figure skating and for never leaving my side.

The list goes on but like all good things, this post must come to an end. This past season brought joy and satisfaction beyond my wildest dreams and thank you to all who played a part.

All the best!
Nat :)

Bruce Waddell's post (also on May 3): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdG5bgjPEuc/
After lots of hard work, early morning training, tons of laughs, many amazing memories, and a pile of medals😉, me and Natalie (Natalie and I; as she would say) are excitedly heading forward to new adventures, and starting new chapters in each of our lives. We have had an outstanding run, and I couldn’t be more proud of @nataliedaless and everything we’ve achieved together. I want to thank everyone involved over the past 7 years, be it our amazing coaches at the Cricket Club, off ice and on, our costume maker, our friends, our families, Skate Canada and Skate Ontario, for their never ending love and support. Also to @nataliedaless for putting up with me at 6am every morning😆🤍

D'Alessandro/Waddell's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103180.htm

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Skating Finland has announced that Laura Karhunen is retiring from competitive skating:

Sylvia

TBD
Ekaterina Katashinskaia / Matvey Grachev (RUS) have split after one season together (9th at 2022 Junior Nationals). He has decided to quit the sport and she is looking for a new partner, according to her post today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdOPcLuoPM6/

She is 17 and competed internationally with her previous partner, Aleksandr Vaskovich: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106650.htm

ETA that I've cross-posted the info in the Russian news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...s-updates-in-2022.109490/page-26#post-6255543

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
This NED federation press release today (May 17) confirms Niki Wories, who will be 26 in June, has retired from competition in order to take on a job with her federation:

Google translation:

Niki Wories (25) will become discipline manager figure skating of the KNSB as of June 1. This means that the six-time Dutch champion is immediately putting an end to her active career as an figure skater. Wories succeeds Karen Venhuizen, who has been discipline manager since 2013.

“Niki Wories is young, but brings a lot of experience, she has a large network and can count on broad support from the world of figure skating”, says Remy de Wit, technical director of the KNSB. “Niki knows what it is like to make hard choices to live a life as a top athlete, with that experience she can help other athletes find their way to the top.”

Wories, who comes from Almere, left for Canada at the age of 18 to further develop herself as a figure skater. She took part in two World Cups, three European Championships and became Dutch champion six times in a row. Wories recently decided to work towards the 2026 Winter Games in Montreal under the leadership of trainer Ian Conolly, but changed his mind when this job at the KNSB became available.

“This was a real game changer for me,” says Niki Wories. “As a discipline manager you really mean something to figure skating. You can make a difference for athletes. I'm still young, but I've been through a lot: the necessary ups but also many downs. I also know what the unpleasant sides of top sport can be. With that experience I can contribute to the positive steps that the KNSB is now taking in figure skating.”

As discipline manager, Niki Wories will provide operational leadership for the top sport segment of figure skating in the Netherlands, which is on the rise. For the first time since 1976, a compatriot (Lindsay van Zundert) took part in the Olympic Games. The KNSB is now taking the next step with the start of the National Figure Skating Training Center (NTK) in Heerenveen, in which Wories will also play an important role as discipline manager.

The only downside to her new job is that Niki Wories has to retire as an active figure skater. “I knew that would be a difficult step to take,” she says. “My love for the sport is great, I have put a lot of time, money and energy into it all these years. But I'm not leaving figure skating, I'm just stepping deeper into it. I am quitting skating myself because I am embarking on a new adventure, where I can use everything I have learned to help others.”

The appointment of Niki Wories fits in with the policy of the KNSB to retain former top athletes for skating. All five discipline managers, including Wories' predecessor Venhuizen, are former top skaters. Technical director De Wit: “On the one hand it is a pity that one of our top drivers is now stopping. But we can use all the experience she has and the positive energy that Niki brings in figure skating.”

ETA link to Niki's post today ("Normally the words come easy but for now all I can say is… Thank you… over and out🎤"): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdq08zqrNmd/

Wories' ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010682.htm

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Olivia Oliver and Joshua Andari (POL) have split; he's focusing on school and she's continuing into senior [reportedly with Canada's Elliott Graham for POL]:
Joshua Andari has posted his own retirement message with photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdlvyItOI3I/

Its long overdue that I take the opportunity to announce the end of my skating partnership with olivia.

Olivia,
Over the past 3 years we have accomplished so much together. As a team we have been through thick and thin to realize our goals and dreams. I will forever be grateful for each and every day spent training on the ice, working hard together to get to where we both wanted to be. Every turn, twizzle and tumble led us to where we are today.

It’s been an honour not only to be your skating partner but to be your friend and I will always hold our friendship very dear to me. It’s crazy to think that 4 years can fly by this quickly. But it’s been 4 years filled with some of my most fond memories.

4 years knowing you, 3 years skating with you , 2 national titles and 1 Junior Worlds is a short way to sum up some of the most fun adventures we have shared together.

I know as you continue on with your skating you will reach all new heights and achieve so much success. I wish you all the best and will be cheering for you.
Thank you.

I would like to thank my coaches Mitchell Islam, David Islam, Kelly Johnson and James Callan as well as Christine Reeves for helping not only the team but me personally grow over the last number of years. I am so grateful to have had your mentorship and guidance and it has shaped me into who I am today.

I would also like to thank both my family and Olivia’s family for all of the support you have given us. It means the world.
For the future I will be pursuing university studies as well as continuing to be on the ice coaching skating which I am eager and passionate about.

Skating has been and will always be an incredibly important part of my life and I won’t be hanging up the skates any time soon!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's 5/20/22 press release on Nam Nguyen's retirement already has been posted in the Canadian Men's news thread - re-posting here:

OTTAWA, ON: Two-time national champion Nam Nguyen, 24, Richmond Hill, Ont., has announced his retirement from competitive skating. Nguyen has been a staple on the Canadian skating scene since he won the juvenile title in 2007. He would go on to win the national title at all levels – juvenile (2007), pre-novice (2008), novice (2009), junior (2011) and senior (2015 & 2019).

“It has been an honour representing Canada at the highest levels of our sport and I cannot thank Skate Canada enough, for all the trust and opportunities they have given my team and I over the years of my career,” said Nguyen. “I’ve learned so many valuable lessons throughout the years that I will take with me as I move on to the next chapter of my life.”

On the world stage Nguyen competed at numerous events with a crowning moment at the 2014 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships® when he took home the gold medal after winning both the short and free programs. Other notable finishes were a gold medal at the 2018 U.S. International Classic, silver at the 2019 Skate Canada International and bronze at the 2015 Skate America.

“Nam is a prime example of skating development in Canada finding success at every level of skating. We are very proud of Nam and his journey, and we wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.” Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director, Skate Canada

Nguyen will continue to work in skating as a coach to develop the next generation of skaters in Canada.

ETA link to Nam's own retirement message (on his 24th birthday today): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdyShVUlfNA/

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That's wonderful news for both Wories, who has been given an important job and vote of confidence by her Fed, and Nam, who started to establish two of his future professions while competing. The kids they'll support are lucky.

But a return to Vancouver to sell real estate would be a reprise of Canadian Nationals: Jeremy Ten seems to be doing really well, and maybe they can create their own Grand Prix of Real Estate ;). I'm always so pleased when Ten reports a sale, given how hard he worked in retail and, at the same time, towards his degree while skating.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Translation from Google:

Farewell letter from Adrián Díaz
Hi everyone,
I would like to announce my retirement from the world of skating, from ice dancing at the
competitive. After so many years, I feel that the time has come to turn the page and
close this beautiful chapter of my life. It's not easy, especially when you're not alone and the
decision also affects an entire team, so from here I want to thank Olivia
all the good moments that she has given us during these years and for helping me to be
best couple and person on the ice. You know how proud I am of you and what we have
lived this last season has been incredible and unforgettable.
Thank the entire team of coaches and skaters of the Ice Academy of Montreal
for creating such an environment in which I came to feel at home.
To the RFEDH, CSD, COE, FCEH, FC Barcelona… Thank you for helping and being there in the
moments that we have needed you despite the difficulty of the problem or the distance,
Thank you for being part of our Olympic dream.
And last but not least, to thank our families and friends who have
always been the first fans who have trusted, supported and encouraged us to continue
forward in the good and the bad times.
Thank the entire team of coaches and skaters of the Ice Academy of Montreal
for creating such an environment in which I came to feel at home.
To the RFEDH, CSD, COE, FCEH, FC Barcelona… Thank you for helping and being there in the
moments that we have needed you despite the difficulty of the problem or the distance,
Thank you for being part of our Olympic dream.
And last but not least, to thank our families and friends who have
always been the first fans who have trusted, supported and encouraged us to continue
forward in the good and the bad times.
Having said that, I really want to turn the page, to explore new projects and see what
the future will hold for me.
A kiss and many thanks to all of my heart.
Adrian Diaz
ETA it seems pretty accurate from what I remember of my Spanish.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I’m surprised, after their success this season I thought they’d do one more for a very likely Euros medal.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU's summary of announced retirements so far (May 24): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ents-of-the-2021-2022-season?templateParam=15

Single Skating
Satoko Miyahara (JPN)
Michal Brezina (CZE)
Alexei Bychenko (ISR)
Alysa Liu (USA)
Elizabet Tursynbaeva (KAZ)
Nam Nguyen (CAN)
Keiji Tanaka (JPN)

Pair Skating
Miriam Ziegler/Severin Kiefer (AUT)
Nicole Della Monica (ITA)
Matteo Guarise, on the other hand is hoping to continue his competitive skating career.
Evgeni Krasnopolski (ISR)
Brian Johnson (USA)
Zoe Jones/Christopher Boyadji (GBR)

Ice Dance
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (USA)
Adrian Diaz (ESP)
Natalie D’Alessandro (CAN)

ETA that Hungary's 3-time Senior women's bronze medalist Bernadett SZIGETI, 18 (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106116.htm), announced her retirement today: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd77Fi_I6ah/

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Adrian and Madison H are getting married next year and have talked about spending time with family and planning the wedding. So I am not the least surprised
I am because when I interviewed them in Montpellier, they were both careful but what they said tended to show they would rather go on. Well, Olivia seemed more eager than Adrian but still... Now that they have brought back a second spot for Spain it's a pity they won't use one themselves.

Andrea82

MsZem

I see the sea
Hurtado and Khaliavin retire
This is even less surprising than Adrian Diaz calling it quits. Neither of them was likely to stay on for a full Olympic cycle, Hurtado had a major injury two years ago and has other interests, and Khalyavin and Monko seem committed to staying in Madrid for the foreseeable future - where the coaching options are limited. Maybe in another reality they could have stayed with Zhulin and given it a couple of more years, but this is not that reality.

Khalyavin is fortunate; not only did skating for Spain allow him to go to the Olympics, it also ended up being a ticket out of Russia. It's natural for him to focus on his family following such a major transition.

With Hurtado and Diaz both done, that's the end of the homegrown group of skaters who were part of a huge breakthrough for Spanish skating. The two of them, along with Sonia Lafuente, Javier Fernandez and Javier Raya, all had long careers and accomplished so much. I hope we'll see their impact with a new generation of Spanish skaters, and wish H/K and Diaz all the best in the new chapter of their lives.

(I don't wish the same for Smart yet because I'm not clear on her future plans...)

Last edited:

Pokitren

Skate Canada's 5/20/22 press release on Nam Nguyen's retirement already has been posted in the Canadian Men's news thread - re-posting here:

OTTAWA, ON: Two-time national champion Nam Nguyen, 24, Richmond Hill, Ont., has announced his retirement from competitive skating. Nguyen has been a staple on the Canadian skating scene since he won the juvenile title in 2007. He would go on to win the national title at all levels – juvenile (2007), pre-novice (2008), novice (2009), junior (2011) and senior (2015 & 2019).

“It has been an honour representing Canada at the highest levels of our sport and I cannot thank Skate Canada enough, for all the trust and opportunities they have given my team and I over the years of my career,” said Nguyen. “I’ve learned so many valuable lessons throughout the years that I will take with me as I move on to the next chapter of my life.”

On the world stage Nguyen competed at numerous events with a crowning moment at the 2014 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships® when he took home the gold medal after winning both the short and free programs. Other notable finishes were a gold medal at the 2018 U.S. International Classic, silver at the 2019 Skate Canada International and bronze at the 2015 Skate America.

“Nam is a prime example of skating development in Canada finding success at every level of skating. We are very proud of Nam and his journey, and we wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.” Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director, Skate Canada

Nguyen will continue to work in skating as a coach to develop the next generation of skaters in Canada.

ETA link to Nam's own retirement message (on his 24th birthday today): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdyShVUlfNA/
Personally, I was surprised by his retirement, I enjoyed watching him perform. I thought he would still be performing. But it seems that the realization of reaching the top came to him. Not every athlete feels it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Personally, I was surprised by his retirement, I enjoyed watching him perform. I thought he would still be performing. But it seems that the realization of reaching the top came to him. Not every athlete feels it.
At least we can stop arguing about how to pronounce his last name. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information