Underused classical music

Amantide

Yes!! Denkova/Staviski Baroque OD is still my absolute fave.
Yep. Also Delobel&Schoenfelder FD in Torino 2006, while not really baroque had that kind of feeling and style. Although I think they should've gone for full classic baroque. I remember loving the choreo & costumes, but not quite there with the music.

Me too :) I even did for Eltsova & Bushkov, some of their programs at least
OMG! Me too. Same exact thing. It was almost like a guilty pleasure. :D

eusebius

In general I find the music of Strauss II to be greatly underused, considering how many spectacular pieces he created. My mind goes to Davis/White's 'Die Fledermaus' and Bourne/Kraatz's Waltz/Polka from 2003 Worlds, but he created so many wonderful waltzes, polkas, marches and operettas that his music should be used much more than it is.
Kazuki Tomono has been using the Fledermaus overture, which he hilariously conducts at the beginning. It’s true though, not much else gets used!

DustPuppyOI

"Underused classical music" is pretty much the vast majority of it.

I was listening to William Grant Still's 2nd symphony last night and thought it could be edited into a nice piece of skaing music.
Yup. Skaters don't even have to go to rarely heard classical pieces that much either. Even a lot of popular classics (aside from Rachmaninoff Piano Concerti recently and the Die Fleidermaus overture which was used a lot for a stretch in skating and ye olden gymnastics compulsory routines), like Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, Mozart's Eine kleine Nachtmusik, or Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor, aren't used as often as Phantom of the Opera or various Billie Eilish. There's a lot more than Ravel's Bolero that is audience accessible and hasn't been associated with an iconic program. Has anyone used the 1812 Overture in recent memory?

Almost anything non-ballet classical music that Balanchine choreographed should be fair game too. Alright... so maybe some of the Stravinsky works might not be that audience friendly but why hasn't been Bizet's Symphony No. 1 in C major been used that frequently? https://www.nycballet.com/discover/ballet-repertory/symphony-in-c/

Or the music from Don Sebastian used in Donizetti Variations https://www.nycballet.com/discover/ballet-repertory/donizetti-variations/

Or Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 75 https://www.nycballet.com/discover/ballet-repertory/allegro-brillante/

Or Gottschalk's Grand Tarantelle (and it still bugs the h*ck out of me that Balanchine cut the music near the end but I suppose the dancers would be too exhausted) https://www.nycballet.com/discover/ballet-repertory/tarantella/

Marco

In general I find the music of Strauss II to be greatly underused, considering how many spectacular pieces he created. My mind goes to Davis/White's 'Die Fledermaus' and Bourne/Kraatz's Waltz/Polka from 2003 Worlds, but he created so many wonderful waltzes, polkas, marches and operettas that his music should be used much more than it is.
I was watching Kristi skate to Blue Danube (1992) the other day and wondered why people didn't use it more. It was beautiful music. Probably too repetitive as a free skate but would make great short program music.

SkateFanBerlin

I don’t recall anyone using The Lark Ascending for many years. Or either of the Romanian Rhapsodies. Or Don Quixote by R. Strauss. Or every oboist’s favorite: Le Tombeau de Couperin! I also think portions of Respighi’s Ancient Airs and Dances would be lovely for skating.
Lark, yes

Baby Yoda On Skates

Alexei Urmanov 1999 comes to mind - but I am not sure if he was the last one to use it (probably not).
No I think I heard it earlier in the season, but I'll be darned if I can remember who it was. But it is underused as least by those who typically skate in the later groups in the bigger comps. I admit I fast forward through a lot of the early groups at Euros and Worlds.

The last Lark Ascending I remember is Yuna Kim's junior program. It's really the only program of hers that I've liked.

Taso

Or either of the Romanian Rhapsodies.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to keep up the pace in the fast parts, but if some of the slower portions were focused on that would be lovely.

BTW The American pairs of Lyons & Wells used the first for their free skate in 1997 IIRC. Doesn't seem to be on youtube, oddly enough, even though 2 videos exist of their SP from US Nationals that year :huh:

A.H.Black

I don’t recall anyone using The Lark Ascending for many years. Or either of the Romanian Rhapsodies. Or Don Quixote by R. Strauss. Or every oboist’s favorite: Le Tombeau de Couperin! I also think portions of Respighi’s Ancient Airs and Dances would be lovely for skating.
The only one I really remember was Angela Nikodinov. It was lovely. Can't find a video - it was short program 1998-99.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information