Montpellier 2022

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's because the ISU head of FS is Russian :mad: which is why Russia has so much politik power in the organization, and the reason I guess, that people think the ISU will cancel or postpone worlds. Will Lakernik ban his own country ???????
Lakernik is just one vote on the ISU Exec Council. It isn't that hard for the rest, if they have any integrity or self-respect.

litenkyckling

Theoretically, they would drop to 1 entry for 2023 just like every other fed that doesn't earn any additional quota spots.
theoretically being the key word here - (I'm personally struggling just now to even think beyond this week, let alone to 2023) but the ISU will definitely give them what they want (maybe use the Olympics as a key measure instead?) unless every other fed says they won't send athletes if they let Russia take the spots (which they likely won't imo).

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There is a reason IOC put out that suggestion, there is a purpose to pushing them out of sporting events. So if they aren't at Worlds this year, and they shouldn't be, then they are down to one spot and every federation should protest if that isn't the case.

The point where those with some degree of power in Russia break and finally get rid of that madman has to be the end goal. Making exceptions here, there, anywhere makes it that much harder to end this for good. It's just figure skating but it's a straw and the more straws you can add then the sooner they break the camels back.

Mme Bovary

Is the IOC putting their money where their mouth is and banning Russian and Belarusian athletes from the Paralympic Games or do they expect the individual governing bodies to take the heat?

giselle23

It's because the ISU head of FS is Russian :mad: which is why Russia has so much politik power in the organization, and the reason I guess, that people think the ISU will cancel or postpone worlds. Will Lakernik ban his own country ???????
It shouldn't be up to him. It should be up to the head of the ISU, who is not Russian. What has the ISU done with speed skating? Are Russians banned?

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
If we are going to start using prohibition of participation in athletic events for bad behavior of governments, I have a whole list of other countries that also probably shouldn’t get to play either.

Sylvia

TBD

aka_gerbil

My country illegally invaded Iraq, destabilized the Middle East… ISIS was one of the results along a couple of on-going humanitarian crises. Also pretty bad… if you want to go back further, we tried to install our own choice of leaders in Central America, destabilized the region, causing people to flee for their lives….and we ended up literally locking their kids in cages.

We should have had our butts sanctioned a few times…

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
My country illegally invaded Iraq, destabilized the Middle East… ISIS was one of the results along a couple of on-going humanitarian crises. Also pretty bad… if you want to go back further, we tried to install our own choice of leaders in Central America, destabilized the region, causing people to flee for their lives….and we ended up literally locking their kids in cages.

I mean I'm not going to argue with you. It's just there is a big fire right now that needs to be put out asap and whatever you can put in a bucket to make that happen needs to happen...

aka_gerbil

I mean I'm not going to argue with you. It's just there is a big fire right now that needs to be put out asap and whatever you can put in a bucket to make that happen needs to happen...
Yes, but if we are going to start using this as a tool, then Russia is just the start and we need to see it used for other horrific offenses by other countries. If the whole world has to stop playing all international sports, so be it.

Reactions: Rob

Trillian

Well, every government in the world behaves badly, so that means no sports at all. There's bad behavior, and then there's "I'm going to threaten to nuke Europe."

Another thing to consider is impact. A lot of international sports in Russia are heavily funded by the government, and to some extent, performing well is considered a display of political power. This isn’t the case for many other countries. While we could dismantle the IOC because a lot of governments suck, I frankly don’t think most countries would care as much as Russia would.

aka_gerbil

Another thing to consider is impact. A lot of international sports in Russia are heavily funded by the government, and to some extent, performing well is considered a display of political power. This isn’t the case for many other countries. While we could dismantle the IOC because a lot of governments suck, I frankly don’t think most countries would care as much as Russia would.
It is much the same in China, for example. They are committing genocide against Muslims (and other human rights atrocities). They were awarded and just held an entire Olympic Games…

Edit: And I can guarantee you if the US had been appropriately sanctioned in 2003 and athletes banned from international events, the wailing would have been immense from our population.

beebee

It‘s a losing battle to argue against false equivalencies such as this one

leilaofpaper

In terms of fairness (especially re the US and Iraq), here’s my two cents. Time only moves forward. Sure we can say we ought to have responded to a previous situation as we do now, but that doesn’t work. It only works for a future situation where we say “this should be treated like the Russian invasion”. Can’t change the past…

Sylvia

TBD
Well I assume that folks saw the statement that the President Nathalie Pechalat put out. No Russia and No Belarus athletes will be allowed to compete in competitons that France is hosting.
That's the communication sent by Pechalat to all the French clubs that Jackie Wong mentioned on his Twitter earlier today: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/montpellier-2022.108293/page-6#post-6221602

The French government has yet to publish an official statement, AFAIK?

Trillian

The French government has yet to publish an official statement, AFAIK?

I haven’t seen one. And that will certainly hit mainstream news given the tennis implications (French Open isn’t too far away).

Plus, until the ISU responds, we still won’t know for sure what it means for Worlds.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
I haven’t seen one. And that will certainly hit mainstream news given the tennis implications (French Open isn’t too far away).

Plus, until the ISU responds, we still won’t know for sure what it means for Worlds.

They shouldn't cancel Worlds because one (or two) countries is (are) banned from attending. I don't think they canceled competitions because South Africa was banned back in the day.

Trillian

They shouldn't cancel Worlds because one (or two) countries is (are) banned from attending. I don't think they canceled competitions because South Africa was banned back in the day.

Of course they shouldn’t, but the ISU doesn’t exactly have an impeccable track record of doing the right thing, so I’m not assuming anything until we have confirmation from them.

Carolla5501

Not a huge issue still. There are currently flights from Moscow to Minsk (I don’t think the EU has banned flight from Belarus yet, have they?), Dubai and Belgrade. Belgrade is basically en route to France.
May not seem like a huge issue to you but I know someone trapped in St. Petersburg right now. they have a US green card and can’t get home.

giselle23

Yes, but if we are going to start using this as a tool, then Russia is just the start and we need to see it used for other horrific offenses by other countries. If the whole world has to stop playing all international sports, so be it.
Russian's sports are state-sponsored and used for political (propaganda?) purposes. The various Russian sports federations did a deal with the devil and now have to pay the same price as their partner/patron. There would be no point in punishing American athletes for the US government's actions, since the government has no role in sponsoring American athletics.

giselle23

It is much the same in China, for example. They are committing genocide against Muslims (and other human rights atrocities). They were awarded and just held an entire Olympic Games…

Edit: And I can guarantee you if the US had been appropriately sanctioned in 2003 and athletes banned from international events, the wailing would have been immense from our population.
The anger would have been at the events that unfairly cancelled the athletes who have nothing to do with the government, not at the government. Russian athletes are sponsored by the Russian government. Their victories are considered victories for Russia. Putin recently awarded the Russian women skaters various honors on behalf of the government and there are reports that the government gives them monetary awards and cars. Banning these skaters from Worlds would hurt the Russian goverment as well as the skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information