Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

livetoskate

I thought Ilia deserves his own fan thread here. Here is a cute video of him in a Yuzuru Hanyu-like costume from 2018. My nephew is probably in the same grade as Ilia in the same town so I need to ask him if he knows Ilia!

My fan video of the end of his FS at nationals recently:

Interview with Dave Lease of The Skating Lesson:

moebius

Ilia should have been named to the Olympic team instead of Jason Brown. He needs this Olympic experience so that he will be prepared for the next one. For some reason, an upcoming ladies figure skater (Polina Edmunds, Bradie Tennell) is more likely to make the Olympic team than an up coming male skater.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ That topic already has been discussed/debated thoroughly in the U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates thread in GSD.

I'd really like to see us fans keep this thread positively focused on Ilia :) ... so here's a 4T+4T clip Ilia shared from the 2022 Nationals practice arena: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYiO02LKepQ/

ETA: He really put on an impressive quad jump show in the practices I saw at Bridgestone arena, landing the three quads he showed in competition (toe, Salchow, Lutz) plus in various combinations; I saw him land a 4Lo & 4F as well.

Last edited:

cheremary

Ilia’s 4T-4T combo got a lot of publicity, but these two are just as (if not more) insane: 3Lz-4T and 3Lz-4Lo (!!)

Frankly, so are these “simple” combos: 1A-4T and 1A-Eu-4S

Someone on that first post suggested he try 4A and quints, and his response was “don’t worry.” 😄

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
so here's a 4T+4T clip Ilia shared from the 2022 Nationals practice arena: https://www.instagram.com/p/CYiO02LKepQ/

Whoaaaaaaa

No one has done that internationally yet correct? And what is the point value on that? Is it aloud even?

I mean this guy I’ve been rooting for since the junior Grand Prix, he’s like unstoppable. His jump combinations at nationals were absolutely breathtaking. I think he is so amazing.

antmanb

I haven’t looked at the SP rules for a while but is a 4/4 combo allowed in the SP?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I haven’t looked at the SP rules for a while but is a 4/4 combo allowed in the SP?
Hmmmm... Not sure? Women can do a 3t-3t combo in the SP so I would think, theoretically, a man could do a 4-4 combo in the SP also, along with a solo 4 and the 3a.

antmanb

Hmmmm... Not sure? Women can do a 3t-3t combo in the SP so I would think, theoretically, a man could do a 4-4 combo in the SP also, along with a solo 4 and the 3a.
I seemed to remember the wording for the combination jump being quite specific so I looked it up - I don’t think men can do a 4/4: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/.../24781-tphb-single-skating-2020-21-final/file

On page 19 for the SP combo:
Senior Men: double and triple or two triples or quadruple and a double or
triple;[\quote]

gkelly

It would be allowed in a free skate. But unless there were a bonus of some kind for doing two quads in combination, or even quad at the end of a combination with an easier first jump, the points wouldn't be worth the risk.

Maybe if someone gets to the point that they want to do six quads and two triple axels in a program.

D

Deleted member 221

I haven't seen Malinin post a video of a solo 4Lo - just 3Lz+4Lo and 4T+4Lo. I wonder if it's easier for him to do the 4Lo on the back of a combo jump, using the speed and momentum from the first jump?

antmanb

I haven't seen Malinin post a video of a solo 4Lo - just 3Lz+4Lo and 4T+4Lo. I wonder if it's easier for him to do the 4Lo on the back of a combo jump, using the speed and momentum from the first jump?
I’m sure I saw an Instagram set of videos that cycled through various quads and he did a solo 4lp. Might be misremembering though.

D

Deleted member 221

I’m sure I saw an Instagram set of videos that cycled through various quads and he did a solo 4lp. Might be misremembering though.

You're remembering right, at least on the 4Lo:

I think the 4Lo looks even better on the back of the 3Lz or the 4T, though this video is from nearly a year ago so his solo loop may be even better now.

In any case, this kid is amazing.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Yuzuru better be planning on going to Worlds for one more attempt at his white whale, because it might be coming at us next season...

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I am so excited to see Ilia at Worlds! Any word what international competition he will be assigned to achieve his minimum short program score?

As usual I’m trying to catch up…. how?? did Nathan said he’s not going to worlds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information