Why isn't Zhulin being banned?

On My Own

downvote was an expression of free speech that any sane person liked as it showed peoples discontent on propaganda etc.
Voting on a commercial platform isn't an expression of free speech. The commercial platform doesn't owe it to you to keep your desired features around forever. The comment section still remains. Further, if you don't like a video, then don't press the like button. You aren't being made to like a video once you've watched it.

I even just read that the dislike count can still be perused by the video maker. So your "expression of free speech" is very much visible to them. You not seeing how many people agree with you seems like a you problem.

For the second part of this, the most downvoted lists mostly contain music videos, trailers people didn't like, and the most downvoted video was apparently the YouTube rewind from 2018. None of them would read as "propaganda" videos to sane people, as you say, just bad videos.

The simple fact is, most sane liberal leaning people tend to watch liberal leaning media. And most sane conservative leaning people tend to watch conservative media. And some sane people from both ends engage in meaningful discussion through comments, and certainly not through upvotes or downvotes, because they know they're not 5 year olds. Some mobs going out of their way to downvote bomb what they perceive as "propaganda" is them being mobs of insane people. Or 5 year olds.

sjs5572

You know, there is a whole sub-forum here to rip on conservative media outlets. Feel free to show yourself and your lunatic rants to PI anytime now. But, I'll just point out that it wasn't the Republican party passing Jim Crow laws or supporting George Wallace, despite what Biden or any other "progressive" tries to tell you today. And, since my comment was derided and largely ignored, I'll repeat it... Fox News doesn't give two hoots about figure skating and they're not paying attention to Timothy LeDuc or the US Pairs teams.

But, frankly, it is really disheartening to read the misinformed comments about conservatives in general in both this thread and the US Men's thread. Anyone who knows my posting history here knows that I have been a fan of C-G/L from their first season and that I lean conservative in my political views. How do I reconcile these two, seemingly, polar opposite facts? Simple. I simply don't care whether Timothy is binary, non-binary or whatever the going gender terms are these days. I like the team's skating, I like their style, I like their determination, I like how hard they have worked to improve their weaknesses as a team. Nothing about LeDuc's gender matters to what they have accomplished as a team apart from pushing them to avoid "romantic" style programs, but they are hardly the first team to be less "Love Story" saccharine and more "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" two-skating-as-one.

Hate to break it to y'all and destroy the false narrative you've swallowed hook, line and sinker from the "progressives" who are actively working to divide and segregate our nation again, but, most conservatives are fairly open and tolerant of other views, whether we agree or disagree. And it certainly doesn't stop us from cheering for our favorite skater, even if we might roll our eyes at some of their social media posts.
Two words: Southern Strategy

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Voting on a commercial platform isn't an expression of free speech. The commercial platform doesn't owe it to you to keep your desired features around forever. The comment section still remains. Further, if you don't like a video, then don't press the like button. You aren't being made to like a video once you've watched it.
If it suits the agenda then you wont complain, FYI Youtube is Not a Publisher It is a PLATFORM, That means it must not have any political views it sides with.

On My Own

Going back to the actual, meaningful part of this thread. I don't see how Zhulin can be stopped. Even if he were somehow discredited as a coach by the ISU, he can still give suggestions to skaters, make comments as a retired Olympic level skater, and he'd still have influence, especially over RusFed affiliations.

The ISU can publish the statement about inclusivity, I guess, and maybe ban him from entering the premises for some ISU championships. I don't think they did that even with Yagudin, though (who was much worse, IMO).

On My Own

Leduc must face ban if not man
Oh, and by the way @love_skate2011 maybe don't like posts saying things like this if you're so very concerned about "free speech", "conservative freedom", "cancel culture", and how likes and dislikes on commercial platforms are expressions of free speech. It's pretty much the opposite of what you're preaching against "liberals".

Trillian

Going back to the actual, meaningful part of this thread. I don't see how Zhulin can be stopped. Even if he were somehow discredited as a coach by the ISU, he can still give suggestions to skaters, make comments as a retired Olympic level skater, and he'd still have influence, especially over RusFed affiliations.

Yeah, I would never see “stopping” Zhulin in any kind of broad sense as a reasonable goal. The ISU isn’t going to strip him of coaching credentials and it wouldn’t matter within Russia if they did.

The ISU can publish the statement about inclusivity, I guess, and maybe ban him from entering the premises for some ISU championships. I don't think they did that even with Yagudin, though (who was much worse, IMO).

Yagudin was worse. But the difference in this case is that the IOC published their framework establishing their position on inclusiveness for athletes of all gender identities just a few months ago, the Olympics starts in a few weeks, and Zhulin will be an accredited coach in the same sport as the athlete he’s verbally attacking. I’m not saying strip him of credentials (I doubt their rules would support that), but they should issue a statement saying, “This is unacceptable and won’t be tolerated at the Olympics.” And the ISU as the governing body for skating under the IOC umbrella should support that.

Any discussion of what American media outlets or political parties would or would not think of this situation is completely not the point, and completely off the rails at this point.

bcash

You know, there is a whole sub-forum here to rip on conservative media outlets. Feel free to show yourself and your lunatic rants to PI anytime now. But, I'll just point out that it wasn't the Republican party passing Jim Crow laws or supporting George Wallace, despite what Biden or any other "progressive" tries to tell you today. And, since my comment was derided and largely ignored, I'll repeat it... Fox News doesn't give two hoots about figure skating and they're not paying attention to Timothy LeDuc or the US Pairs teams.

Hate to break it to y'all and destroy the false narrative you've swallowed hook, line and sinker from the "progressives" who are actively working to divide and segregate our nation again, but, most conservatives are fairly open and tolerant of other views, whether we agree or disagree. And it certainly doesn't stop us from cheering for our favorite skater, even if we might roll our eyes at some of their social media posts.
Sure but that Republican Party has little resemblance to the Republican Party (if you can call them a political party, that is. Probably fairer to call them a cult) today.

That's a vague "most" and vague "conservatives", while there have been published studies documenting how right wing political operatives in the US have consistently employed morally indefensible tactics than their left wing counterparts during political campaigns. Stats from social media sites also show a much higher concentration of expressed extreme views from the right. Not to mention all the feigned moral outrage, ridiculous hysteria and malicious lies that flow forth daily from conservative media outlets across the spectrum and across platforms.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Two words: Southern Strategy
Myth. Total myth. Look at 1976! Democrats ran a southerner and won the presidency based on almost exclusively on southern whites. So where is the strategy? If carter hadn’t been such a horrific president southern whites may have stayed democrats

just tuned in

If Leduc is not a man he is not eligible for pairs

2021/2022 Clarification from Sports Technical Director and Technical Committee PAIR SKATING Group 1 Lift
QUESTION: What part of the Woman’s body needs to remain below the Man’s Shoulder to be called a Group 1 Lift?
ANSWER: At least some part of the Woman’s body must remain below the Man’s Shoulder to be called Group 1 Lift.

Leduc must face ban if not man
This argument is - please forgive the word - stupid. If Leduc were a trans woman and wanted to complete in a woman's category, there would be tremendous opposition. As it stands, Leduc has the body of a man, so it is beyond my understanding why there would be any uproar or negativity about Leduc's performing the role of a man.

VGThuy

But, frankly, it is really disheartening to read the misinformed comments about conservatives in general in both this thread and the US Men's thread. Anyone who knows my posting history here knows that I have been a fan of C-G/L from their first season and that I lean conservative in my political views. How do I reconcile these two, seemingly, polar opposite facts? Simple. I simply don't care whether Timothy is binary, non-binary or whatever the going gender terms are these days. I like the team's skating, I like their style, I like their determination, I like how hard they have worked to improve their weaknesses as a team. Nothing about LeDuc's gender matters to what they have accomplished as a team apart from pushing them to avoid "romantic" style programs, but they are hardly the first team to be less "Love Story" saccharine and more "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" two-skating-as-one.

The Republican Party now isn’t the same Republican Party then. Most know that but use that piece of trivia in a disingenuous way to try to…I’m not sure what they’re trying to do, get them ignore what the parties are doing in 2022 and what they’ve been doing since the 20th century?

Nice that you’re a pro-LGBTQ conservative. I didn’t bash conservatives in my post. All I said was Breitbart and Fox News were stuck in the Lochner era. I made some reference to some people not accepting the results of the Civil War or that we’re living in the 21st Century. I didn’t make any comment or reference to “conservatives” or the Republican Party whatsoever. Guess what? There are conservative Democrats!

The fact that you took my post the way you took does say how you basically relate to Fox News and Breitbart and how much of your identity is tied with them though - I don’t understand because I don’t start crying when someone bashes a media outlet I may like because don’t tie my entire identity to it…and how much you identity conservatives with people not accepting the results of the Civil War because those are the only things I mentioned.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Joti Polizoakis is commentating with Daniel Weiss and I am getting another headache on top of my hangover from his voice. So unpleasant and screechy. Ugh.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Daniel Weiss has one thing he doesn't like about G/F: "They are too perfect, too precise, too practised."

So, apart from classical music, he also hates perfectionism and hard work.

AnnM

The Republican Party now isn’t the same Republican Party then. Most know that but use that piece of trivia in a disingenuous way to try to…I’m not sure what they’re trying to do, get them ignore what the parties are doing in 2022 and what they’ve been doing since the 20th century?

This right here. Any modern day conservative still using this information without full context of how the parties changed platforms as the civil rights movement evolved isn't worth the time to debate.

caseyedwards

The parties did not change platforms. The southern democrats stand that no blacks ever Vote was not adopted by the Republican Party

attyfan

IMO, "cancel culture" merely means "I don't like the fact that X is exercising their right of free speech through imposing permissible consequences (such as social or economic) to Y's exercise of free speech." In fact, the idea of my exercising my free speech to impose permissible social or economic consequences on those who say things that I find offensive (such as not buying Zhulin's book) has been around for ages -- although, I think social media simply speeds up the process.

PatChan4O

Zhulin should absolutely be sanctioned for hate speech, especially since he appears to be doubling down.

But do we really think the ISU will have the spine to sanction Zhulin right before the Olympics? I doubt it.

Does anyone recall the upshot of the Rodnina/Pres. Obama mess during the Sochi Olympics? May or may not be instructive here.

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
IMO, "cancel culture" merely means "I don't like the fact that X is exercising their right of free speech through imposing permissible consequences (such as social or economic) to Y's exercise of free speech." In fact, the idea of my exercising my free speech to impose permissible social or economic consequences on those who say things that I find offensive (such as not buying Zhulin's book) has been around for ages -- although, I think social media simply speeds up the process.
Cancel culture has other variants, ever hear "Is this you" where bots, snowflakes and SJW mobs
search for archives of tweets and comments of people to expose their past wrong "deeds"

The Harassment of JK Rowling is not even a tip of anything yet.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

JJH

I would like to suggest that this entire thread be moved to Politically Incorrect because it is obvious that the focus of the topic has evolved into something more appropriately discussed there.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
That has nothing to do with the links I posted. Try reading the articles I linked.
quoted from the links posted

The blacklist involved the practice of denying employment to entertainment industry professionals believed to be or to have been Communists or sympathizers.

House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) was an investigative committee of the United States House of Representatives, created in 1938 to investigate alleged disloyalty and subversive activities on the part of private citizens, public employees, and those organizations suspected of having either fascist or communist ties.

I agree the Zhulin thread should be in the Trash Can

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If it suits the agenda then you wont complain, FYI Youtube is Not a Publisher It is a PLATFORM, That means it must not have any political views it sides with.
:duh: That isn't what it means at all. YouTube is a private company with the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason as long as the reason isn't to harm someone in a protected class. I.E., they can't throw out gay people for being gay. They can throw out gay people who violate their Terms of Service.

The Harassment of JK Rowling is not even a tip of anything yet.
Poor millionaire JKR for being called out for saying hateful things and publicly agreeing with hateful people who hold hateful views. What is the world coming to that people object to hate? :drama:

This applies to Zhulin because he also said hateful things which really can't be defended so the people that see criticizing him as an attack on them are coming up with other defenses instead. Like "Free Speach" :mitchell: and accusing others of being SJW and "woke" (as if that's some kind of insult).

Zhulin's comments were reprehensible and should be condemned by everyone involved in skating.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Zhulin's comments were reprehensible and should be condemned by everyone involved in skating.
people from different parts of the world will have different opnions of this and should be respected.
again its right to free speech, I don't see any hate speech here, I agree its just plain rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information