2021 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships, June 23-26, Rochester Hills, MI

Sylvia

TBD
Venue: Suburban Ice Rochester (formerly known as the Onyx-Rochester Ice Arena): https://www.onyxicearena.com/page/show/518600-contact

Press release: https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...figure-skating-championships-begins-wednesday
Competitors at the U.S. Adult Championships are divided into five age groups (21-35, 36-45, 46-55, 56-65, 66+) and two tracks (masters and adults). Events are held in singles, pairs, partnered dance, solo dance, dramatic entertainment and light entertainment. Among the athletes returning this year who won their championship events in 2019 are: Daniel Palmeri, Eric Bilardi, Olivia Wyrick, Stephanie Knighton, Adam Hudson, Leslie Duskin and the pair team of Judy Mata and Vladimir Levchenkov.
Three special awards will be presented at the event: The Yvonne M. Dowlen Trophy will be presented to the oldest competitor; Skate Forever Young Awards will be presented to all competitors who are 71 and older; and Adult Special Achievement Awards will be given to athletes in championship events to encourage and reward high-quality elements, skating skills and interpretation.
Event videos will be available on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone after the conclusion of the U.S. Adult Championships.
Starting orders are posted on the Results page: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/28672/index.asp

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts:
As five-time championship masters junior-senior men's champion at the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships, Daniel Palmeri knows a thing or two about making history. In addition to his five consecutive U.S. adult titles, Palmeri is the first (and so far only) Adult Championships competitor to perform three triple jumps in one program (two triple Salchows and one triple toe loop). He also holds the record for the highest score ever achieved at the U.S. Adult Championships: 74.86 points, which he earned at the 2019 event.
"It's not about the win, but proving to myself what I am capable of," Palmeri said. "I compete against myself a lot and I always want to show different sides of my skating. I do not like to play it safe."
Through his memorable appearances and interactions at the Adult Championships, Palmeri has gained the respect, admiration and appreciation of many athletes and leaders in the adult skating community.
"Daniel is quite literally the poster child for what a lifetime on ice can look like, and is a living example of the fact that an expiration date of high school or college graduation should never be put on your skating career," said Lori Fussell, National Vice Chair for Adult Skating on the Competitions Committee
Both on and off the ice, 2021 will be a landmark year for Palmeri. Along with Jeanette Daskas and Jennifer Schneider, Palmeri is serving as local organizing committee (LOC) co-chair for the 2021 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships. With six in total, Michigan has hosted more Adult Championships than any other state. The 2021 event marks the first time that the event will be held in Rochester, Michigan.
Originally set for April, the 2021 U.S. Adult Championships were pushed to June as part of a modified qualifying competition structure due to the COVID-19 pandemic. After the cancelation of the 2020 U.S. Adult Championships in Newark, Delaware, this event will be the first big competition for many adult athletes over the past two seasons. While the LOC faced a great deal of uncertainty during the planning process, they maintained steadfast optimism and remained focused on hosting the best event possible.

erdehoff

I'm so glad this event is happening after the horrors of the past 15 months or so. Best of luck to all the competitors: May you be happy with your performances regardless of the scores! Just making it to this competition is an achievement, no matter how you got here. Now go out there and have fun! I hope to join you someday.

Sylvia

TBD
Article on Aviva Cantor:
Excerpts:
Still on the ice 30 years later, Cantor has found success as a competitive adult skater, the author of SKATING magazine's "Adult Corner," the National Vice Chair for Community Support and Development for the U.S. Figure Skating Adult Skating Committee, and, as of May 2019, as the committee's chair. Still competing in the Class 1 division of adult skating (for ages 21-35), Cantor is the youngest-ever person to hold the position.
"[The Adult Skating Committee] currently has 40 members, which makes us one of the largest within the U.S. Figure Skating committee structure," Cantor said. "Our size is important because I want to represent diversity in our sport. We have skaters ranging from 20-somethings to 70-somethings. We have a member who is working on mastering a single loop jump and a member who competes with multiple triple jumps, plus plenty of skaters who fall in between.
"What I love most about adult skating is that we are in it for the right reason. We skate because we absolutely love to skate. We're not in it for quad jumps or Olympic medals; we're in it because we believe in skating for a lifetime. The sport fulfills us and gives us an outlet for fun, expression, and goal setting outside of our busy adult lives. I have always said that the day I stop having fun will be the day that I stop skating. This has yet to happen, so I am still skating."
The annual meeting of USFS' Adult Skating Committee will be held on Thursday, June 24 at 7 pm Eastern time and will be livestreamed, technology permitting, here: https://www.facebook.com/USFSAdultSkatingCommittee/

Clarino

What type of goal setting would present day high level coaches and as a former Olympic Bronze medalist in ice dance, partnering with a former National Champion, who boasts she passed all of her pattern tests in 5 months through pregold have competing in the Adult Championship Ice Dance event?

gkelly

What type of goal setting would present day high level coaches and as a former Olympic Bronze medalist in ice dance, partnering with a former National Champion, who boasts she passed all of her pattern tests in 5 months through pregold have competing in the Adult Championship Ice Dance event?

1) The coach in question still feels a desire to compete but at this age is skating more at a level appropriate to compete in adult events than at an ISU international level.

2) Money (lesson fees from the student/partner).

Either or both might be true.

Clarino

But her goals on her icepartnersearch page lists Internationals and Winter Games as her goals.

Debbie S

But her goals on her icepartnersearch page lists Internationals and Winter Games as her goals.
The wording is pretty clear that she wants to compete at Adult internationals (Oberstdorf, etc). I doubt she is thinking of competing at the Olys in her 40s, but I guess if she represents a small country, it's possible. More likely, she's referring to adult comps.

Championship Dance is for high level adult dancers. It's a given that many likely skated as kids and may have reached a high level of comp. I know at least 1 team in that group are adult-onset skaters but they have been skating for probably at least 20 years and I'm sure knew what they'd be up against when signing up to compete at that level. But that's part of the fun of that level - challenging yourself against the best.

And I think it's cool that Hubbell and Obzansky are competing in pairs. I'm looking forward to watching the vids.

Clarino

The real battle in Championship Ice Dance will obviously be for the Silver medal. I am not a skater just a fan. I have no stake in this game. Just seems they would be better suited to skate PSA Professionals Competitions than against ice dancers who could never attain this particular team’s quality of edgework. It’s supposed to be about fun, not about getting an international assignment.

Debbie S

It’s supposed to be about fun, not about getting an international assignment.
Adult internationals are open events. They don't require assignments. Saying you want to compete in Adult internationals means you want a partner with those same goals, who is around your same level and is willing to put in the practice time needed for success in those events. And willing to spend the money required for entry, travel and coaching.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Maybe I'm missing something, but no one is going to get an international assignment out of competing at Adult Nationals.

And call me cynical, but there's something slightly suspicious about a new poster who claims to be "just a fan" but whose first set of posts are all complaints about a particular skater.

Clarino

Haven’t put on blades since I was 6. The rules clearly state they are allowed. My question still stands. What are their goals? I think it’s a fair question.

Clarino

Adult internationals are open events. They don't require assignments. Saying you want to compete in Adult internationals means you want a partner with those same goals, who is around your same level and is willing to put in the practice time needed for success in those events. And willing to spend the money required for entry, travel and coaching.
Thanks for the clarification. I truly appreciate that.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Can they represent the United States?

If they're USFS members, then yes. Adult internationals are not as strict as Olympics, Worlds, etc. about national affiliations. You represent whatever federation your club belongs to.

Debbie S

Can they represent the United States?
As I noted above, Adult internationals are open events. Anyone meeting the age and test reqs (and actually, I don't believe there are test reqs since adult testing is different across different countries) can sign up, pay and compete. The skaters' home countries are listed next to their names in entries and results, but they are not considered to be "representing" Team USA. There are no citizenship rules, AFAIK...home country is based on where you live/skating club/fed.

Vark

Haven’t put on blades since I was 6. The rules clearly state they are allowed. My question still stands. What are their goals? I think it’s a fair question.
I think it is a fair question too. I was once told that you had to have a R E A S O N for every time you entered a competition. Just because it is at your local rink or you always do that competition is not good enough. There needs to be a goal. This competition my goal is to land two clean double flutzes. This competition my goal is to improve my skating skills by .025. This competition I will finally get credit for my squatting eagle. What is the goal?

just tuned in

@Vark's "reasons/goals" are things to improve one's personal performance. It seems like a good way to approach a competition. These types of goals seem different than aspirations for being named to teams or whatever.

Good luck with your goals, @Vark!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
1) Having fun
2) Keeping skills sharp and learning new ones
3) Learning to adjust to a new partner (since most of the time you aren't skating with your partner from when you were an eligible skater)
4) If a coach is skating with a student, then to help the student meet their goals and possibly to earn $$$

I have a friend who won Championship Dance at every Adult Nationals he entered with different partners. He and his partners all skated as kids, often in ice dance. One partnership could have skated at Nationals and not come in last.

Just seems they would be better suited to skate PSA Professionals Competitions
They only put on one a year IIRC. And even then, maybe it doesn't match their real-life schedules.

I was once told that you had to have a R E A S O N for every time you entered a competition.
For some people, having a reason for entering a comp is very motivating but other people just do comps for fun or because all their friends are doing it is enough. It is not a requirement to have a serious goal for every comp you enter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information