Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

just tuned in

Hubble and Donohue always have long, intimate embraces and whispers when they finish a program. They look like (current, not former) lovers.

My main take-aways from Liam's comment (other than that he is being a loyal spouse) are (1) that he calls her Ali, and (2) that she is having pain in her foot. :scream::watch:

ETA: None of what I wrote above represents an excuse for her to pair with TJN. If he is guilty, I hope he is convicted.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I get it. Innocent until proven guilty is a cornerstone of our justice system.

Personal opinion is not a justice system and the majority of people who are guilty of sexual assault will never be found guilty. That doesn't make them innocent and that doesn't require people to treat them as innocent. The government cannot punish people who have not been found guilty in a court of law. That standard does not apply to public opinion. Especially when we're talking about something like sexual assault where the justice system so routinely fails victims.

sap5

Given that her husband seems to think it's all above board, I don't get this pairing at all! She's nearly 40 years old. There's only so much 'sculpting' that she would be able to do. And given that they can't go to these Olympics, what on earth is the point in all of this?!
To compete? Even if she never gets to go to the Olympics, she can still compete in all the other ISU events?

Some people are just born competitors, and aren't interested in doing anything else. A chance to continue to live as a competitive athlete is probably worth it for her.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
To compete? Even if she never gets to go to the Olympics, she can still compete in all the other ISU events?

Some people are just born competitors, and aren't interested in doing anything else. A chance to continue to live as a competitive athlete is probably worth it for her.
But is it really worth risking her career over her choice in partner? I know partners are difficult to find, but that's crossing the line.

sap5

Personal opinion is not a justice system and the majority of people who are guilty of sexual assault will never be found guilty. That doesn't make them innocent and that doesn't require people to treat them as innocent. The government cannot punish people who have not been found guilty in a court of law. That standard does not apply to public opinion. Especially when we're talking about something like sexual assault where the justice system so routinely fails victims.
This is the problem with public opinion. How many sexual assault victims are treated as not innocent by public opinion? The justice system fails victims, and so does public opinion.

sap5

But is it really worth risking her career over her choice in partner? I know partners are difficult to find, but that's crossing the line.
How is she risking her career? If she loses every competition from here on out because he's a bad partner who keeps dropping her, etc, then yes, I suppose that's a risk. But if she feels like she can compete with him, that he's able to do what she wants him to do, then does she consider that a loss?

Maybe she's risking her legacy, but maybe she doesn't care about that? Maybe all she wants to do is compete and see if she can win.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
My main take-aways from Liam's comment (other than that he is being a loyal spouse) are (1) that he calls her Ali, and (2) that she is having pain in her foot. :scream::watch:
Yeah, I noticed the thing about the foot pain too. I guess no one's talking about it because it's not as salacious, but even if it's a chronic thing, an injury of some sort is not an auspicious way to start a partnership.

Honestly at this point I feel like it's 50/50 if we ever see them actually compete. I'm sure she's determined, but sometimes that's not enough.

Xela M

How is she risking her career? If she loses every competition from here on out because he's a bad partner who keeps dropping her, etc, then yes, I suppose that's a risk. But if she feels like she can compete with him, that he's able to do what she wants him to do, then does she consider that a loss?

Maybe she's risking her legacy, but maybe she doesn't care about that? Maybe all she wants to do is compete and see if she can win.
Well, by risking or damaging her legacy, she is risking never making any money in shows, which is pretty damaging. She would have made a lot of money with Massot

Lemonade20

Well, by risking or damaging her legacy, she is risking never making any money in shows, which is pretty damaging. She would have made a lot of money with Massot
Exactly. It doesn't matter how they perform in competition.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Yeah, I noticed the thing about the foot pain too. I guess no one's talking about it because it's not as salacious, but even if it's a chronic thing, an injury of some sort is not an auspicious way to start a partnership.
Not an injury necessarily. It seems like athletes at her level are always in some sort of pain, unfortunately.

Miezekatze

Where exactly would they have made a lot of money?

I'm a bit baffled that people think that Bruno is upset, because some Aljona & Bruno show career is now not going to happen.

My superficial impression from their "we end our career" posts was that they are done completely as a pair.

The show opportunities in Europe were bad even before Covid-19, now they're probably even worse and will stay like that for at least another year, Bruno has family and is coaching in France, Aljona probably doesn't like shows anyway, I don't think they'd have travelled overseas for shows, ...I never even got the idea they'd continue skating together, certainly not significantly.

Lemonade20

I'm a bit baffled that people think that Bruno is upset, because some Aljona & Bruno show career is now not going to happen.

My superficial impression from their "we end our career" posts was that they are done completely as a pair.

The show opportunities in Europe were bad even before *********-19, now they're probably even worse and will stay like that for at least another year, Bruno has family and is coaching in France, Aljona probably doesn't like shows anyway, I don't think they'd have travelled overseas for shows, ...I never even got the idea they'd continue skating together, certainly not significantly.
It's not just about making the money, it's also future opportunities that she may have. Tying herself to people with sketchy reputations will hurt her in the long run.

Xela M

The show opportunities in Europe were bad even before *********-19, now they're probably even worse and will stay like that for at least another year, Bruno has family and is coaching in France, Aljona probably doesn't like shows anyway, I don't think they'd have travelled overseas for shows, ...I never even got the idea they'd continue skating together, certainly not significantly.
Haven't they unfollowed each other? I think Bruno is pretty upset and yes they would have been invited to shows

skylark

Some people love the feelings they get from skating, they love the experience itself. Aljona has said that the minute she steps onto the ice, she's transported to a different world. Skating in competition adds a whole other level of experience and emotion.

I can relate. I get all sorts of thrills and chills just from watching. Live, and also streamed and re-watch afterward. I sometimes watch some of the exhibition pieces afterward, but the experience and emotion is decidedly not the same.

MsZem

I see the sea
It doesn't seem like Savchenko has any current professional ambitions outside of skating. In the short and medium-term, that means shows (if possible) and in the long-term, coaching and maybe choreo. Being able to pursue opportunities in skating requires good relationships within the skating world, and it doesn't seem like what she's doing at the moment will be helpful to her going forward. As I wrote earlier in this thread, the overwhelming silence from fellow skaters in response to her Instagram post is unusual and telling.

But she's an adult, and can make her own decisions.

Vagabond

This isn't a direct answer to your questions, but if Nyman is arrested, he may have to surrender his passports, thus preventing them from competing outside the U.S. If he is incarcerated, they won't be competing anywhere.

And I have a question of my own. Would U.S. Figure Skating allow a skater who has been indicted or arraigned for a violent crime compete at domestic or international events?

chachacha

US Pairs should be thrilled that they may finally get a third spot.

This isn't a direct answer to your questions, but if Nyman is arrested, he may have to surrender his passports, thus preventing them from competing outside the U.S. If he is incarcerated, they won't be competing anywhere.

And I have a question of my own. Would U.S. Figure Skating allow a skater who has been indicted or arraigned for a violent crime compete at domestic or international events?
Who knows but one would think they would not support any US Skater who has been indicted or arraigned for any violent crime

VGThuy

Regarding Instagram (IG), I always wondered how fans can tell if so-and-so followed or un-followed each other. IG, unlike say Facebook, does not provide a full list of someone's followers and who they are following when you click on the links to see who is following whom. It doesn't show a list of everyone who liked their post either, nor is there an option to search whether two Instagram users are following each other. Often times, I see profiles with bluechecks positively commenting on another bluecheck's profile but they're not listed as someone who "liked" the post when they were shown liking a previous post.

So I think unless it's a social media site that does show a full list, we can take comments about so-and-so unfollowing who-and-who on IG with a grain of salt unless you they said so, etc.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Regarding Instagram (IG), I always wondered how fans can tell if so-and-so followed or un-followed each other. IG, unlike say Facebook, does not provide a full list of someone's followers and who they are following when you click on the links to see who is following whom. It doesn't show a list of everyone who liked their post either, nor is there an option to search whether two Instagram users are following each other. Often times, I see profiles with bluechecks positively commenting on another bluecheck's profile but they're not listed as someone who "liked" the post when they were shown liking a previous post.

So I think unless it's a social media site that does show a full list, we can take comments about so-and-so unfollowing who-and-who on IG with a grain of salt unless you they said so, etc.
It does provide a full list of followers, and you can easily search for usernames to see whom one follows/is being followed by. Click on the followers / following numbers on each profile and you get a full list, and you can also search using text input within those lists to narrow them down.

You can also see a list of everyone who liked a particular post still AFAIK. I know some people now have the option to not show an actual like number count, but I haven’t seen anything that limits seeing the full list of who actually liked it.

Last edited:

VGThuy

It does provide a full list of followers, and you can easily search for usernames to see whom one follows/is being followed by. Click on the followers / following numbers on each profile and you get a full list, and you can also search using text input within those lists to narrow them down.

You can also see a list of everyone who liked a particular post still AFAIK. I know some people now have the option to not show an actual like number count, but I haven’t seen anything that limits seeing the full list of who actually liked it.
It actually doesn't. I know for a fact some celebs follow other ones, but some periods, they won't show up in a search but they still follow each other. Believe me, the search engine doesn't show all results. I noticed it years ago when I thought so-and-so unfollowed a celeb I was following when I saw they were no longer on a follower's list but then they were liking and commenting on their posts. They still weren't showing up on the followers list. Then like half a year or so later, I looked at the follower's list and saw them on there again. Then I noticed it kind of cycles through where they're showing up and not showing up. When a celeb has a higher number count, IG seems to cycle who to show.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It actually doesn't. I know for a fact some celebs follow other ones, but some periods, they won't show up in a search but they still follow each other. Believe me, the search engine doesn't show all results. I noticed it years ago when I thought so-and-so unfollowed a celeb I was following when I saw they were no longer on a follower's list but then they were liking and commenting on their posts. They still weren't showing up on the followers list. Then like half a year or so later, I looked at the follower's list and saw them on there again. Then I noticed it kind of cycles through where they're showing up and not showing up. When a celeb has a higher number count, IG seems to cycle who to show.
I think you're potentially confusing two things. Bruno Massot has 203 people he's following - it's a quick scroll to verify that 203 people show up in his following list. When you look at the information under a profile name that says 'Followed by' (and shows people the you are also following, such as [person A], [person B], and 42 others), in that instance not everyone shows up. However, I've never read or heard of the actual lists, clicked on by the top Followers / Following numbers, only selectively showing lists.

VGThuy

I think you're potentially confusing two things. Bruno Massot has 203 people he's following - it's a quick scroll to verify that 203 people show up in his following list. When you look at the information under a profile name that says 'Followed by' (and shows people the you are also following, such as [person A], [person B], and 42 others), in that instance not everyone shows up. However, I've never read or heard of the actual lists, clicked on by the top Followers / Following numbers, only selectively showing lists.
I just did a test. Maybe it works when someone has a smaller following count like Bruno (i didn't actually count if it lists all 203 people but i'll take your word for it). However, saw by clicking on his following count that he follows Alex Shibutani. I go to Alex Shibutani's page and click on his 296K followers. I search "Bruno_Massot" or just "Bruno" and he doesn't show up. So, if a celeb has way more followers to list than "203" I can see that happening there too.

Willin

Hubble and Donohue always have long, intimate embraces and whispers when they finish a program. They look like (current, not former) lovers.
Yeah this always creeps me out and confuses me. Like, aren't they with different people? Are they in an open relationship? I've seriously been wondering what's going on there. Most people would get upset to see their SOs regularly involved in such public affection with their ex - and it's a lot more than the normal pairs/hugs ice dance teams have.

Haven't they unfollowed each other? I think Bruno is pretty upset and yes they would have been invited to shows
Maybe he should pair up with Meagan for a revenge tour hahaha

Well, the government would stop international, but I think it would depend. They didn't want to let Tonya compete and basically had to be forced into sending her to the Olympics - but USFS never liked Tonya and probably liked her even less when her attack targeted a skater they did like. In this case, we know USFS doesn't care about the victims or the SafeSport investigation, but we do know they absolutely adore/protect the coach in question and seem to like the skater in question as well (add in Aljona and winning potential). That makes me think that USFS will completely overlook everything to send them to whatever competitions they could.

canbelto

Well there's a beloved former figure skater who seems really keen on this pairing ... :watch:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Back in the day, I remember when the hype machine kicked into gear with the pairing of Shae-Lynne Bourne and Peter Tchernyshev (after both of their respective eligible careers ended). They even scored the cover of BLADES ON ICE with their announcement. It was a bit embarrassing for everyone involved when nothing came of the partnership, and they never actually competed.

And then there were Pasha (Grishuk) and Sasha (Zhulin) who did one pro tour and that was it.

Last edited:

Debbie S

I can't speak to how follower/following lists work/appear, but it is possible to like and comment on a post even if you don't follow the account, unless the person has it set to private.

VGThuy

I can't speak to how follower/following lists work/appear, but it is possible to like and comment on a post even if you don't follow the account, unless the person has it set to private.
Yep. I've done that many times. In the case I was citing, it was just weird when one person who did follow before, and seemed like they were no longer following was still posting positive comments and likes on multiple posts of that account. That's when I realized on accounts with huge numbers of followers and following, the list that shows up when you click on it won't show everyone. Now, that may not apply to Bruno's "Following" list since he has such a small number accounts that he does follow so people can see if he unfollows someone (or they set their account to private).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information