2021 Eurovision Grand Final - It Is Okay To Dance Alone

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It was actually one of the few times when a jury spokesperson has been funny.
I know :D

I enjoyed the show, liked a number of songs. I (and the rest here) put the majority of our votes on France and Italy to win so am satisfied with the result.

eta... as I typed that I recalled Iceland gave Switzerland 12 points, meh.....

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
It’s such a shame, she did sound a bit flat but last place is so harsh. But yay for actually getting a few points ;)
Sorry, it was well deserved. Ireland/UK/Latvia were 3 most tone deaf singers this competition.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
No, different guy but robust and hairy like the guy from Trapped:
The actor from Trapped is, however, in the bands official video from Eurovision at the beginning:

And then there is this:

Of course if you haven't watched the movie this is all nonsensical.

But congrats to Italy and well down to Iceland for finishing 4th. Not a bad result considering their shitty luck the last few years :cheer:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I really enjoyed the winner and the runner up. I could listen to either song depending on mood. Not feeling the Swiss like some of y'all

This was so much better than that Israeli broad singing in mispronounced English and clucking like a chicken a few years ago. :scream:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
If this was done purely on televoting, it would have been less exciting. And sometimes the public does have really shit taste. :shuffle:

Televoting results:

318 | Italy
267 | Ukraine
251 | France
218 | Finland
180 | Iceland
165 | Switzerland
165 | Lithuania
100 | Russia
82 | Serbia
79 | Greece
63 | Sweden
62 | Moldova
60 | Norway
47 | Malta
44 | Cyprus
35 | Albania
33 | Azerbaijan
30 | Bulgaria
27 | Portugal
20 | Israel
13 | San Marino
3 | Belgium
0 | Netherlands
0 | Spain
0 | Germany
0 | United Kingdom

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Anyone complaining about the top two countries in the jury vote should note that France got more in the televote and Switzerland was sixth in it. The songs had public appeal. ;)

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I for one am all for entries singing in their own languages, looks like the viewers (or at least the voters) are coming around to this point of view too.
Viewers and juries have always been happy to reward songs whatever language they are in (Serbia 2007, Portugal 2017), but it’s good the artists have that choice.

MsZem

I see the sea
Viewers and juries have always been happy to reward songs whatever language they are in (Serbia 2007, Portugal 2017), but it’s good the artists have that choice.
Yes, it's good that artists can come in and do their thing in whatever style/language.

There have been a lot of songs that would have sounded better in the artists' first language, or a combination of languages. And some over the years that wouldn't have sounded good in any language ;)

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Mama Astra says she voted for Russia by calling 44 times and always got to hear that her vote couldn't be counted. A similar thing happened to a friend of our family. Strange.
Her favorites were Iceland. I agree with her. It would've been ****ing epic if they won Eurovision with a rehearsal video.
At least Switzerland didn't win with this sad shitshow.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Italy :cheer2::smokin::swoon:. I'm so happy for them, a well-deserved victory (to which I contributed with my vote ;)). I also voted for France, Switzerland and Belgium. Therefore, I am quite disappointed with the public reaction to "The Wrong Place" but I might be biased as a Hooverphonic fan ;).

(((UK)))
Otoh, "Embers" really fell flat :shuffle:.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
Netta was singing with her natural Israeli accent.

I for one am all for entries singing in their own languages, looks like the viewers (or at least the voters) are coming around to this point of view too.
It wasn't her accent; her accent actually isn't particularly noticeable to my ears . I was referring more to the rapid sounds combined into the words. It sounded almost slurred at the time :shuffle: . I get the impression something like that really might have worked better in her native Hebrew.

I mean, she did win that year regardless and her song seemed to have a good message so hats off to her.

I do agree with you about being all for contestants singing in their native languages. According to wiki , this is only the third time in the last 20 years that the winning song hasn't been all or partly in English.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Report from our drinking game and ESC-Bingo: One dude had a Bingo after the opening already, his friend drew "crazy animation" for the shot drinking game and was absolutely ****ed. I had "pyro" btw and the bf had "wind/fog".
At some point we just started to make up new lyrics for some of the songs. Germany, Lithuania and Azerbaijan had the honor of getting entirely new lyrics which got as politically incorrect as possible.

I still think Iceland or Russia should've won. I wasn't too impressed with Italy, even less so with Switzerland.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

Another member tests positive. This time the pregnant one. None of them are showing any symptoms.

I find it oddly amusing that the country in Europe with one of the lowest rates of infection is the one country at Eurovision who got infected :D

Not that there aren't cases here, currently distancing ourselves because of an indirect contact, but we are green and low risk.

MsZem

I see the sea

Another member tests positive. This time the pregnant one. None of them are showing any symptoms.

I find it oddly amusing that the country in Europe with one of the lowest rates of infection is the one country at Eurovision who got infected :D
I don't find it amusing. And I hope she'll continue to be okay and her pregnancy won't be affected.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Germany aka Doucheland is being in delirious denial again :wall:

The channel (NDR) that chose Jendrik, actually released a statement that "it was a perfect performance with a convincing staging and an important message."
Uhm...yeah...I still don't get how jumping around with a glittery ukulele and a girl in a middle-finger-costume is "convincing staging" and a "perfect performance", but well...IIRC, Germany has never been known for their magnificent taste in the last couple of years.

On the other hand, several newspapers are trashing Jendrik badly because he actually said that his ESC-song "wasn't his best one" and he was "aware of that" and that he just went to Eurovision to "have some fun". Come on, it's a competition after all and Germany is paying a lot of money for it every year (which is why it's in the Big Five) and then there's this guy who "just wants to have fun and not even win". I am paying this bullshit attitude with my "tv taxes", so I am expecting something better than 2nd from the bottom.

Germany should just bring back Stefan Raab and have him choose and coach the representatives. FFS, no one here in Doucheland knows this Jendrik guy. I've been living in Hamburg for some time and even here I have never ever met anyone who knows who this guy is although he is also from Hamburg.

We met our neighbors today and also talked about this and we found out that they also love my new favorite German band and we all agreed that they should go to Eurovision at some point because they are really the best thing Germany has right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information