From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Russia could get the 3rd star in the men's Olympics. What needs to be done for this (April 30):
Candidates mentioned in the article: Dmitri Aliev, Alexander Samarin, Makar Ignatov, Andrei Mozalev, Petr Gumennik, Mark Kondratiuk, and Artem Kovalev. Excerpt from the end:
That list is like a Crème de la Crème of Trainwrecks.

Bigbird

So Mozer is at it again ? she partitioned the two pairs ?

Just dont let her near Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin :mad:
I don't really like these two. They remind me of Duhamel and Radford in a not so flattering way. He almost always seems out of shape. Would not be surprised at all if they found new partners. Hopefully this isn't too harsh.

hanca

Values her privacy
So Mozer is at it again ? she partitioned the two pairs ?

Just dont let her near Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin :mad:
I think it is a bit unfair to say that. Mukhametzianova/Mironov break up was expected. They have been struggling the whole season it and it was clear that it wasn’t going anywhere. Mukhametzianova has matured and needed bigger and more robust guy. Let’s hope that Antonyshev is bigger and more robust.
I am actually quite impressed that both of them were paired up with new partners so quickly. I was worried that Mukhametzianova may be waiting for a new partner for many months, because she has been struggling with jumps this year. Moser have discarded girls who she did not like in the past, so I was worried about her.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I don't really like these two. They remind me of Duhamel and Radford in a not so flattering way. He almost always seems out of shape. Would not be surprised at all if they found new partners. Hopefully this isn't too harsh.
You are entitled to your opinion, that is fine.
But what did those two do in order to possibly deserve Mozer?

Bigbird

You have a point. But does anyone deserve Moser at this point? T/M have a bad Olympic Games thanks in no small part to that Candyman otrosity, she apparently has a mental breakdown and throws them under the bus? I pity the poor souls who deserve the attentions of madam Moser.

Can we just clone Moskvina? If Team Eteri hits a home run with pairs, is the gig up for Moser?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
You have a point. But does anyone deserve Moser at this point? T/M have a bad Olympic Games thanks in no small part to that Candyman otrosity, she apparently has a mental breakdown and throws them under the bus? I pity the poor souls who deserve the attentions of madam Moser.

Can we just clone Moskvina? If Team Eteri hits a home run with pairs, is the gig up for Moser?
One can hope.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
actually Khodykin is getting fit now, He is losing his baby fats and cheeks, he just turned 21. Pavyluchenko / Khdykin are younger than Mishina / Galliamov

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Konov's video interview with Kovtun (will edit and add what they are saying)

• 2 years without the competition. What have you done? - Was working on masterclasses and doin shows with Navka. Does skating lessons. Prefers shows and masterclasses.
  • figure skating is more important than boxing. He is trying to get into the shape again. Boxing is an alternative for him for the off ice work. Right now his goal is to lose weight, his goal is 75kg, now he is around 78. He can land his jumps in his current weight, but doesn't want to.
  • After the break in 2018 he was weighting more than 80, he needed to weight around 70.
  • Why did he come back after the break knowing it would be so hard? He was driving to the TSKA, got a call from Goncharenko who was coaching him at that moment and said she no longer works in the club. He was on the way to the practice. Then he got a call from either Pluschenko or Goncharenko to come and try. He decided why not, there were Pluschenko, Goncharenko and Rudkovskaya. They offered him to join the team. Sotnikova was already there practicing at that time.
  • why did he decline the offer? Pluschenko charged me. It's something he is so good at - to charge with `I can do it'. The plans were quite serious, but the conditions were wrong. The rink was small, there was supposed to be a new rink but you know when it was finally build. There were some things Goncharenko didn't like. I still got that motivation though, so I called Buyanova. Am very grateful to Goncharenko for what she gave me and taught me.
  • Pluschenko/Rudkovskaya did not offer to sign any papers. We tried. The agreement was that Kovtun would try, but there are no promises from Kovtun, just that he would give it a try. To lasted for about 3 weeks. They parted well - Pluschenko said he had a nice time working with Kovtun. Kovtun is grateful for getting the motivation from Pluschenko to come back - he felt again he can and wants.
  • Some quotes: Goncharenko: he lacked motivation; Urmanov: he never carried out his promises and words; Pluschenko he did not do what he could in sports, I don't knwo what prevented him from it, the Sochi - he will tell it himself. Kovtun: I was always saying the same things about Sochi, there are always some details that show up and I don't know where these details are coming from.
  • Sochi: what happened before the games? I was in the information vacuum. I didn't know about the test skates - there were talks about them taking place but they would not. I would just go out on the ice and did my job. I was not thinking about the Nationals or the tests. I was thinking of `I train, I do my job, I come, skate and what ever will be will be'. I was not thinking about it. The first thing was to skate my programme and the rest was not my decision.
  • Euros: what did you lack to convince you were supposed to go to the Olympics? I was not supposed to participate the Nationals. In the GPF I did something stupid (he doesn't want to elucidate but says it was a behaviour issue that is not suitable for an athlete). Piseev came to the practice and said he didn't want to me to do the Nationals - he wanted to give me some rest before the Europeans, but because of my actions at the GPF I was sent to the Nationals. So I ended up going to the nationals and winning. I was not counting on winning the Nationals - we all understood Pluschenko is a super decorated skater but it happened that I won and according to the rules I was supposed to go to the Olympics. The Euros - I was explained I didn't have to go there, but I really really wanted to participate and win - at that point I only won the NAtionals and some GP, I really wanted to be a European champion. Recalling that Europeans - I thought of it today, I really wanted it so badly, the practices went great - think there were 2 practices before the LP and.. well, it just happened
  • The closed test skates - I didn't know they didn't take place. I learned he would be going to the Olympics he would be going and not me. We were preparing and the next day we were supposed to fly to Sochi. It was a late evening practice. Buyanova's son Ivan came and we were chatting near the entrance to the rink, the suitcases were packed. We were just chatting. And then it became clear we were not going. I don't remember who called. All I did is picking up the phone, calling a taxi and going to my brother's - he was living in Moscow at that point. What else what I supposed to do? On the way I think I was talking on the phone to my brother. The thoughts? I just took it as it is. If it was decided on the spot it would be easier, but the talks about going or not going were lasting for so long. And what was I supposed to do? Go on a strike? Mutko (minister of sports) came to me after the Euros and said he would do all he can to get me to the Olympics. So I was hopeful.
  • I watched the team event SP and just continued with my day
  • There were talks about Pluschenko withdrowing and talks about Kovtun not answering the phone and not being able to find him. Kovtun: ok, let's assume I lost my phone, but what about my coach? my choreographer? the TSKA people? My parents? I was in the contact all the time. I don't know whether my coaches got a call. We were 24/7 on the ice. I was practicing. What does it mean I was not available on the phone? Did it ever happen that you practice, get a phone call with `dude, you are going to the Worlds tomorrow' `Oh, ok, thanks'? Buyanova was saying we were not going. She was very business. Told me to keep my mouth shut with the press- back at the time I was able to give quite a quote. Buyanova explained it was not the end of my life and I should go and be with the family.
  • Which games were more painful - 2014 or 2018. Pretty much the same. Any defeat is the same - whether it's Worlds/Europeans or even the test skates in September. I was always eating myself. Even one of the competitions I was doing after the come back and fell 3 times in the SP. Ok, the next day I won the LP and won the whole thing. I was so down as if my life was over. I came home, lay on the bed dressed and stared at the dark. There was a video in youtube where Buyanova and Tarasova scold me near the border. Figure skating is something I love so much. The thing is I love training but I hate competing. I would be so nervious even half a year before the competition. My body was feeling as if it was filled with concrete. I don't think I ever showed more than 40% of what I can in the competition. Those who saw me in the practices knew what I am capable of. It's an inner fear that is inside me. I was working on it. I worked with a shrink, more than one. When it's a competition and I don't have a right to make a mistake - that's it. I should had really went for hockey. I was pretty good when I was 9-10y.o. but we couldn't afford it - the equipment was expensive, we were 3 kids in the family. The parents' salary was enough for the bills and a bit for food
  • The brothers are acrobats in a circus. They used to be pair skaters. So is his father. He was supposed to be a pair skater as well. He is the youngest
  • Why didn't he go to Trankov's group and try out in the pairs? Because the come back happened. Became a national champion, and then he was gone. Why did he retire after winning the University games, got the quads back. Kovtun: and then Europeans. It's easy to judge when you don't know what goes on. My every defeat in sports was killing me and destroying me , I was unable to respect myself. I think I satisfied myself in the Nationals. And then the Europeans - it's like. I had to continue developing, perhaps there is a slight chance I would be able to win the Europeans but I understood I reached the peak and I didn't want to kill myself anymore. If we were judged by the practices or were given a second chance in the competitions. I wanted so badly for Buyanova, Tarasova, my parents to be proud of me, but.. well, may be it happened.
  • About the defeats: we were aiming for the high complexity in the 2014-2015. The harder the content is the more it's prone to mistakes. Everyone were doing 1-2 quads, I was attempting 5. And then everyone were saying I was popping the jumps all the time. I didn't even need to read it - the skaters, even my friends were saying it. When I took off some quads I was skating well. I think I was one of the first who tried it and so yeah, that's the fame I got - to be a skater who pops.
  • He is thrilled for Kolyada that seem to have improved
  • Figure skating was never the most important thing in his life. Even though he was skating from the age of 1.8. Life is long and there are so many things, figure skating is not the end of the world. I'm from the suburbs of Ekaterinburg and I achieved what I could which is a lot. Lipnitskaya moved to Moscow much earlier, so she had more opportunities, we were hanging till the last moment and moved only when Morozov offered to join his group. I was 14. It was too late. We couldn't afford anything - we were too poor. Lipnitskaya - she moved at a very early level to Tutberidze and a year later she was landing all the triples, and kudos to her! In Ekaterinburg she was landing her 2A on a left foot.
  • The first quad: my first Nationals I came with my coach Marina Vaytsekhovskaya, skated the SP quite well, I think I was 5th. I was so stressed, thinking I would be on the TV. And I ended up in the last group. And I told her let's show in the practice a quad as if we were working on it. So I tried as if we were learning it, and for the first time in my life I rotated it, landed, tried again and landed it again. The next day before the LP I landed 4/3. So those were my first quads. I was 5th after the SP and 11 overall. It was an amazing result for me. Mishin later said something nice about my quads.
  • Being sorry or not sorry about continuing: am happy with what I achieved. Everyone has their own definitions of what is normal. I was always grateful for what I had whatever it was. I think I could do more, but no one is in my shoes and they don't know what I was going through.
  • Which was harder - February 2014 or the pause before the comeback? I didn't retire, I knew I would come back and was trying to enjoy the moment - to rest, to take a breath and think what is next. So of course 2014 was much more painful.
  • You wanted to become a coach? I still do. All the work I have done in 2 years are the steps to become a coach. I decided for myself that while I can try things - I tried out to host a show which, unfortunately, did not take place in the end. I co-host a show in youtube. I have another project that I don't want to talk about yet. When should I try these things if not now? If I become a coach I will be on the ice 24/7 working with my skaters and you will not do side projects at the same time. Now it's the period of time I can try things and if I don't find my new goal I will go to coach. Not the ice dance though. It's a different world. I can more or less teach gliding for the pairs or singles, but not the ice dancers.
  • Have you talked about Trankov about switching to pairs? I spoke to Volosozhar, Max was elsewhere and we were waiting for him to come back, but by the time he did I had other projects. For me building the muscles would probably not a big deal. I would have to work on the muscles, strength, but it's not that hard for me. It's not the hardest for me. So I was interested and I was talking to a friend and the idea came, so I talked to Volosozhar, but it didn't happen in the end.
  • Master class with Zagitova: was fun. Before the соvid there were so many master classes that I was surprised - I was booked half a year ahead. And then соrona and nothing.
  • Do you think Hanyu will land a 4A? I think so, the attempts I have seen were quite close.
  • Who is n. 1 in men now? Chen
  • Who do you like more? Chen
  • Chen came to TSKA, it was so cool working with him and Arutyunian. He approached Buyanova and said `he haven't seen such Kovtun'. Nathan and I are in good terms, but it's not the reason I said he is the best and I like his skating - I just like his skating. His LP and SP this season - I love them both -the programmes, the costumes - everything. He can add a backflip in the end! Remember Amodio - he did a backflip, got a deduction, but it was so cool!
  • Are you a strict coach? No. Depending on a situation. I try not to be strict but have the right distance. I joke a lot, I love that moment that perhaps I took from my coaches in TSKA - Tarasova always said the good coach not only has to be professional but turn the practices into something interesting. I recalled our practices - when she was there I knew the practice was special and I was looking forward for the practices with her. She was so funny. We could shout at each other - I could shout at Tarasova. I think a lot of skaters - not all, can reply in a rude-ish way. I would play offended, skate around for a minute and she would say `honey, come over, we have to work' and off you go to work. She is the greatest, her style is unbelievable - you are not afraid of anything when with her. If I should ever be a coach I want to be a coach like her. She started coaching when she was very young. I think of my main profession all the time, I graduated the university. Buyanova says it's enough to work. I can do the Masters if needed.
  • Last year being part of Tutberidze and Khrustalny shows. Gleikhengauz said you were part of the team. This year you did not participate? - This year it was only the competitive skaters. It's their show, their rules. Nothing to be upset about.
  • Is Zagitova in shape? Can she compete with Scherbakova? - Error 404. She has a new life. Medvedeva looks great on the red carpet. Can they compete? I don't know, I don't practice with them and I don't see what do they do. If they decide to come back - I think the new generation moved forward.
  • What about the shows? - There are no shows. Averbukh - I would love to meet with him. It was quite an uncomfortable situation - I was offered to judge the kids show and was told I did a good job. But then Navka approached me and offered a contract as well. So I had a contract with both and my agent Maria who worked at that point with Navka and Navka offered a slightly better contract so I chose trying to work with Navka. I think Averbukh took it as a kind of a trait. There was a tour with Averbukh that I was supposed to participate , I was counting on that job and the last moment I was replaced with Samarin. So that was postopned, my agent works with Navka, so... it just happened. I never wanted to let Averbukh down. I want to meet him in person and not talk on the phone - it's important for me.
  • Averbukh spent so many months in Moscow, you could had come. I could. I didn't. I'm so grateful to him - he supported me in tough situations, he created great programmes for me. I want to keep a good relationship that we always had with him.
  • The Ice age - yes, I would love to participate.
  • About the girlfriend - one of the team gymnastics: she was in Novogorsk, I was in Ekaterinburg during the quarantine, we were online, we had a chance to meet and do something nice, so we did. The Olympics were supposed to be in August, they were so ready, and then she was injured, she underwent a surgery, goes back to the team and then the other leg is injured. So another surgery. The Olympics are so near and there is a chance she will not be able to participate and she'll have to start another cycle. I spoke to Tarasova on the phone yesterday and she said `if Evgenia (the gf) can she should come back'. I told her that. Her mom and I support her and want her to come back.
  • About the shows: I spoke to Navka a couple of days ago, she told me she loves me, to get back in shape and there will be a lot of work during the summer. So I started getting into the shape. The elements needed for the show: there are such costumes... may be I need like a 3s/3t/2a. It's mainly the acting really. Not so much jumping. The elements I can get back in 2-3 weeks are 3A. May be 4S. I probably can try a 4T, but it will not be consistent.
  • What about a come back?
    Well, may be. I don't put any boundaries and even when retired I said `we'll see'
    Konov: Especially as there is a coach who wants to work with a Russian guy and works with the older skaters
    who are we talking about?
    Konov: Arutyunian.
    Kovtun: isn't he working in LA?
    Konov: Was it ever a problem for an athlete? So you are open for any suggestions?
    Kovtun:am open to any suggestions
    Konov: but you retired
    Kovtun: I came back and immediately asked to take me off salary and retired.
    Konov: so if needed you can do a 3a/4s/4t
    Kovtun: it would not be a competitive level. I would need a lot of time for that - at least 3 or 4 month. But who will teach me how to compete?
  • The rap group - the time to set the priorities right came and the priority was figure skating. I could have tried both, but it took too much off the skating. It was not bad, at that moment it was not a bad level.
  • Coming back to music - I'm not signed with any label, it's not a sport where I have to apply and sign documents.
  • About the words `standing on that roof' it's romantic - standing on the roof and overlooking the city. Not suicidal at all.
  • The defining point of his life: I was training in Morozov's group in the USA and I really didn't want to practice there - I hated everything there. It was all foreign for me. I was kicked from the group. The situation was that I went somewhere and did something that I shouldn't have... I was told about the situation I did not agree with but I had no idea what was it about - I wasn't even there. So I was like `You know what? I'll just go home'. So I was asking what is it all about and was told `you can't even admit about being wrong'. And I had no idea what was it about. There was no contact with Morozov so I went home to Ekaterinburg. My parents didn't know a lot of what was going on there. I wish that year or however long I spent there - I wish it didn't happened. I called Buyanova myself - my parents gave up on me and said I should retire. Buyanova said no at first, but then gave me a chance. I didn't know her at that point but I always wanted to skate with her. I don't remember what did I tell her. But it touched her. I didn't write a script - I called as if I were calling a close person. I wanted to be in TSKA, I knew it was my home. It happened, but just so late. I was shouting to send me to Moscow when I was 12, but no one listened. I spoke to my parents, but who would really listen to the 12 y.o kid?
  • After the way you talk about Buyanova, how could you leave? - I was jealous, I was hurt. I was thinking of Buyanova as if she was mine only. I did not have a right to behave such way, but I did. I apologized million times and I am thanking them all the time - Buyanova an Goncharenko. After leaving Buyanova I was in the same club but I never saw her there.
  • Relationship with Morozov - completely neutral. `Hello, Nikolai Alexandrovich, how are you, goodbuy'.
  • A year with Morozov is not my mistake - I went and did what the adults told me to do. Leaving Buyanova - that's on me.
  • The only good thing that came out of spending a year in the USA is learning English.
    Konov: What about the Morozov's steps?
    Kovtun: I could do so much better.
    Konov: He didn't spend enough time with you?
    Kovtun: He hardly spent any time with me
    Konov: before the conflict did you want to approach and ask?
    Kovtun: No. I know a lot of athletes who worked with him. I came to my conclusions. I was not interested. If he called me and offered to collaborate I would. Tarasova is a woman but she works like a man -there is business and there are relationships. I'm the same - that's why I am in touch now with Pluschenko and Rudkovskaya - there is business and there is the rest.
  • The most memorable moment of the career - the Nationals. I went out to the press and there are the ladies journalists and they are crying with happiness I won. They were so happy for me. I even knew some of them, but I don't remember who was there.
    Konov: I can't imagine Vaytsekhovskaya crying
    Kovtun: she wasn't there
    Konov: Vaytsekhovskaya wasn't at the nationals?
    Kovtun: She wasn't in the mixed zone. I just hugged the girls who were there .
  • The tattoos - the first one is from the USA. At the age of 15. I went with Sergey Voronov, my dream was to have the first tattoo in NY. We went and did it. I added some more, but never covered. I have all the tattoos that I wanted - back, shoulder, side. I don't want anymore tattoos for now. I was still a competing athlete, so I had to pick the moment when I was not training too hard or was in a vacation, so it took a lot of time
  • Predictions for 2022: the team is really strong. The highest expectations from the team, they can do it. Potential champions: team - Russia; Sinitsina/Katsalpov; Valieva; Chen; Mishina/Gallyamov
    Why not Tarasova/Morozov
    Kovtun: its' my feeling. I think Mishina/Gallyamov have so much place to improve.
  • Kolyada should keep the LP for the Olympics, it's a really good Olympic programme.
  • Hanyu can be a good competition to Chen. Hanyu can do everything. He has to do what he can - he make the last row get the goosebumps. He can compete with Chen if he has the skate.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Muhamedziаtova/Mironov split, she is to skate with Vladislav Antonyshev, he is with Ekaterina Geinish.
Mozer's quest for 2026 Olympics began?

hanca

Values her privacy
I liked M/M :(
So did I, but Mukhametzianova has not landed a clean jump for the whole season. And their other elements are not great enough to hold them up the same way as with Panfilova/Rylov.

Scott512

Maybe she didn't want them?

Plus is it really a good idea to have one coaching team in charge of everybody? What will happen to all these top pairs when Moskvina retires? She is 80 after all.

As well as that what works for one team might not work for everyone.
And now EG has Anna sasha KV and alyona for starters. Your words about how one coat should not have all the talent is very prophetic even though you meant that for pairs.

T and M going to EG can only give them more political clout that they desperately need with so many brilliant young teams they have to compete with.

anonymoose_au

Your words about how one coat should not have all the talent is very prophetic even though you meant that for pairs.
Well everyone seems happy with this state of affairs, so obviously it's not a problem. 😶

And I don't understand this hatred against Mozer either, seems people have forgotten she trained Tatiana and Maxim one of the most successful pairs in history. She's made mistakes, but perhaps some respect might be nice.

Bigbird

Well everyone seems happy with this state of affairs, so obviously it's not a problem. 😶

And I don't understand this hatred against Mozer either, seems people have forgotten she trained Tatiana and Maxim one of the most successful pairs in history. She's made mistakes, but perhaps some respect might be nice.
I didn't find them that great sorry. I found I was still longing for the Moskvina touch. I found their galas at times more interesting than their competitive programs.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
V/T are breathtakingly stunning to watch live.

My issues with Mozer stem from how she handled T/M’s career over time. I think she had a pecking order with S/K meant for 2018 and T/M for 2022. When t/m surged ahead in the 16-17 season, it felt like she wanted to grab them by the ankles and hold them back so as not to mess up her plan. When t/m finished fourth in Pyeongchang, Mozer seemed to take it as a personal insult. She then called them an uninteresting and old project and stopped coaching them. T/M have been adrift ever since. Mozer, IMO, is in part responsible for t/m’s struggles this quad. That’s my problem with her.

I half wonder if the comments Mozer made about t/m prior to worlds rattled Evgenia when it seemed like she’d gotten her confidence back finally.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Also, it's not like Mozer had a lot of work to do with V/T. They were both extremely talented and accomplished pairs skaters. They would've become Olympic champions even under the guidance of someone like Nina Petushkova.

Them choosing her as their coach was probably the only way to go for them since Maxim had already burned bridges with Moskvina, Vasiliev and probably many others. And their success lured in more pairs like S/K or B/L. And we know how that worked out for them.

Then there was her epic fail with T/M who had everything to become one of the great Russian classical pairs...and Candyman happened.

Her only "real" success were V/T because they were exquisite already. S/K won the Olympic silver medal with a free program their old coaches and choreographers did for them. Mozer just got them the political edge.

ETA: Also, didn't Mozer always have issues with the female pairs skaters in her group? IIRC she bullied out Bazarova and Stolbova also left and her comments about Tarasova have also been nothing but vile. You just don't talk about your former pupils like that.

hanca

Values her privacy
Also, it's not like Mozer had a lot of work to do with V/T. They were both extremely talented and accomplished pairs skaters. They would've become Olympic champions even under the guidance of someone like Nina Petushkova.

Them choosing her as their coach was probably the only way to go for them since Maxim had already burned bridges with Moskvina, Vasiliev and probably many others. And their success lured in more pairs like S/K or B/L. And we know how that worked out for them.

Then there was her epic fail with T/M who had everything to become one of the great Russian classical pairs...and Candyman happened.

Her only "real" success were V/T because they were exquisite already. S/K won the Olympic silver medal with a free program their old coaches and choreographers did for them. Mozer just got them the political edge.

ETA: Also, didn't Mozer always have issues with the female pairs skaters in her group? IIRC she bullied out Bazarova and Stolbova also left and her comments about Tarasova have also been nothing but vile. You just don't talk about your former pupils like that.
I don’t think we can say that Trankov burned the bridges with all those coaches. Look at other skaters. Gachinsky left Mishin, didn’t even have the guts to tell him, Mishin learned from it through some forum and gossip that Gachinsky trains at a different rink. And yet he welcomed Gachinsky back when Gachinsky retired and wanted a coaching job. When Ilynikh/Katsalapov left Zhulin, Zhulin was so upset with them that even three years later he was giving interviews about how ungrateful bastards they were. And yet, he accepted back Sinitsina/Katsalapov. Tutberidze was also hurt by Medvedeva, especially after so many interviews from Medvedeva about the bad part of being at Tutberidze’s rink…and then she accepted her back. And she also accepted back Kostornaya, after Kostornaya’s interviews about finally being happy and being able to have fun… and she accepted back Trusova (although Trusova was at least wise enough to be very praising and grateful in her interviews when talking about Tutberidze). My point is, coaches may be hurt, but the business side will always win. If Trankov wanted, he could have asked any Russian pair coach and they would have taken him no matter what past was between them. But Trankov choose a coach who did not have much experience and results on senior level, because Trankov wanted to have more input into the decisions. With more experienced coach, it would be the coach making the decision.

Bigbird

Wait a minute I didn't know about that stuff with Evgenia. I knew she pretty much put Stolbova in the doghouse and played favourites but yikes. It makes me think even less of her. Sigh.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I don’t think we can say that Trankov burned the bridges with all those coaches. Look at other skaters. Gachinsky left Mishin, didn’t even have the guts to tell him, Mishin learned from it through some forum and gossip that Gachinsky trains at a different rink. And yet he welcomed Gachinsky back when Gachinsky retired and wanted a coaching job. When Ilynikh/Katsalapov left Zhulin, Zhulin was so upset with them that even three years later he was giving interviews about how ungrateful bastards they were. And yet, he accepted back Sinitsina/Katsalapov. Tutberidze was also hurt by Medvedeva, especially after so many interviews from Medvedeva about the bad part of being at Tutberidze’s rink…and then she accepted her back. And she also accepted back Kostornaya, after Kostornaya’s interviews about finally being happy and being able to have fun… and she accepted back Trusova (although Trusova was at least wise enough to be very praising and grateful in her interviews when talking about Tutberidze). My point is, coaches may be hurt, but the business side will always win. If Trankov wanted, he could have asked any Russian pair coach and they would have taken him no matter what past was between them. But Trankov choose a coach who did not have much experience and results on senior level, because Trankov wanted to have more input into the decisions. With more experienced coach, it would be the coach making the decision.
You have a point here, but I don't see Trankov crawling back to Moskvina or Vasiliev, for that matter, to ask for forgiveness. That's just not Trankov.
He wanted freedom and a "coach" that would go with his ideas. Here, I agree with you.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Wait a minute I didn't know about that stuff with Evgenia. I knew she pretty much put Stolbova in the doghouse and played favourites but yikes. It makes me think even less of her. Sigh.
It was in one of her recent interviews where she pretty much trashed Evgenia and how Evgenia was the guilty one when it came to giving the Olympic medal away.

Bigbird

I don’t think we can say that Trankov burned the bridges with all those coaches. Look at other skaters. Gachinsky left Mishin, didn’t even have the guts to tell him, Mishin learned from it through some forum and gossip that Gachinsky trains at a different rink. And yet he welcomed Gachinsky back when Gachinsky retired and wanted a coaching job. When Ilynikh/Katsalapov left Zhulin, Zhulin was so upset with them that even three years later he was giving interviews about how ungrateful bastards they were. And yet, he accepted back Sinitsina/Katsalapov. Tutberidze was also hurt by Medvedeva, especially after so many interviews from Medvedeva about the bad part of being at Tutberidze’s rink…and then she accepted her back. And she also accepted back Kostornaya, after Kostornaya’s interviews about finally being happy and being able to have fun… and she accepted back Trusova (although Trusova was at least wise enough to be very praising and grateful in her interviews when talking about Tutberidze). My point is, coaches may be hurt, but the business side will always win. If Trankov wanted, he could have asked any Russian pair coach and they would have taken him no matter what past was between them. But Trankov choose a coach who did not have much experience and results on senior level, because Trankov wanted to have more input into the decisions. With more experienced coach, it would be the coach making the

Sigh.

hanca

Values her privacy
You have a point here, but I don't see Trankov crawling back to Moskvina or Vasiliev, for that matter, to ask for forgiveness. That's just not Trankov.
He wanted freedom and a "coach" that would go with his ideas. Here, I agree with you.
I don’t think freedom is the right word. No one who does elite sport has freedom. But the power, power to make all the decisions. He wanted to be the boss.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
That woman's interviews are repulsive. I probably started reading it but just couldn't finish.
She was being Russian. Russians don’t seem to be very forgiving of failure, especially when someone else in the recent years was successful. Suddenly the success is not something that is ‘wow’, suddenly it is expectd and there is a duty to deliver. For example, in Leonova’s times, Leonova’s results were success. But now it would be a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information