From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

becca

Its like how Tara and Michelle now follow each other on IG and there seems to be no hard feelings but MK fans still want Tara to die ...
I never thought there was hard feelings both girls I think respect the hard work the other did it get to that point. They are also close to the same same age. Michelle wasn’t that much older.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Women in general feel more pressure to maintain their looks as they age and are judged more openly for how they look, while men have more freedom to let themselves go. Look at all those aging Hollywood wives with their trout lips and overly botoxed faces. Can you name one Hollywood husband with the same plastic look ?

I was very impressed with Elena's English. Not only was she conversing in English fluently, but she sounded like she was born and raised in America her whole life. She moved to the U.S. as an adult, so I wonder how she was able to master the language so well. I wish TSL had asked her that.
She married an American. That's how.

I agree with you about women being more concerned about their appearance, but I think it helps their physical health also (through proper nutrition, exercise, etc). Right now I see Plushenko as being in good shape. I hope he can maintain that.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Definitely. M&D were pure class.

Don't get me started on S&P :mad: They ruined the legacy of one of the best pairs of all time:fragile: poor B&S
There is a common factor between M&D and B&S. Its name is Tamara Moskvina. She teaches her students how to handle tough situations in a gracious way. Not saying the two pairs were not already good people but I think Tamara teaches her students what kind of outward behavior is correct under tough circumstances. Hopefully she can teach Boikova how to handle disappointment publicly.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's hyperbole. But if you were around during Nagano, it wasn't hyperbole back then.
I watched the Nagano Olympics on tv, so I was around. I liked both Michelle and Tara, for different reasons. I was more a Michelle fan than a Tara fan, but I respected her Too. Even today I believe that had the skating order been reversed, Michelle might have won the gold.
People that wish death of a skater are nutcases,not fans.

Sorry for going OT.

Some results in skating are argued forever. In 1994 I would have loved to see a double gold between G&G and M&D. Both pairs were worthy, JMO.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Still find the idea of Katia and David odd
We think of them as pairs skaters from Russia/Canada, but they must think of each other as persons. For whatever reasons they like each other.

So I don't find it odd, but I do find it a bit disappointing (only from my perspective) because Pelletier was a part of the B&S vs S&P drama. B&S put it behind them (clearly Katia also put it behind her) and they were decent in dealing with S&P while both pairs toured together. Verne Lundquist went over the top saying the two pairs are friends now. I thought it was silly to repeat that Everytime.
I don't know if they were friends but I am sure the behavior was friendly. Actually even during the double gold ceremony B&S were a model of graciousness. Anton said in the interview "we are skaters. We are not politicals (his word)". They did their job during and after the Olympics - to skate and be gracious toward other skaters.

However, I know that in the USA (I don't know about Canada) B&S were not treated well. In Europe and Russia they received the respect they deserved.

I saw while attending their shows that in the USA the audience gave a loud cheer to S&P and only a polite applause to B&S. At one show the woman who sat next to me asked me - who are they (when B&S took the ice)? I told her they are the Olympic champions.

Last edited:

Xela M

We think of them as pairs skaters from Russia/Canada, but they must think of each other as persons. For whatever reasons they like each other.

So I don't find it odd, but I do find it a bit disappointing (only from my perspective) because Pelletier was a part of the B&S vs S&P drama. B&S put it behind them (clearly Katia also put it behind her) and they were decent in dealing with S&P while both pairs toured together. Verne Lunsquist went over the top saying the two pairs are friends now. I thought it was silly to repeat that Everytime.
I don't know if they were friends but I am sure the behavior was friendly. Actually even during the double gold ceremony B&S were a model of graciousness. Anton said in the interview "we are skaters. We are not politicals (his word)". They did their job during and after the Olympics - to skate and be gracious toward other skaters.

However, I know that in the USA (I don't know about Canada) B&S were not treated well. In Europe and Russia they received the respect they deserved.

I saw while attending their shows that in the USA the audience gave a loud cheer to S&P and only a polite applause to B&S. At one show the woman who sat next to me asked me - who are they (when B&S took the ice)? I told her they are the Olympic champions.
B&S were the epitome of class in the way they behaved throughout this embarrassing nightmare for them. It completely broke my heart that this happened to two of the nicest and most deserving people in figure skating. 😭 B&S should have been remembered as one of the best pairs of all time. Hardly anyone can hold a candle to them.

You are completely right that the common denominator between M&D and B&S was Tamara and the way she makes her skaters into good dignified people as well as champions.

S&P's behaviour was awful, but to be fair I always thought she was the ringleader in this and David more the follower.

Perky Shae Lynn

So I don't find it odd, but I do find it a bit disappointing (only from my perspective) because Pelletier was a part of the B&S vs S&P drama.
I always thought David was a bystander in the Jamie Sale "poor me" show. But it's not like he ever took a step back and did anything to stop it. It was an incredibly classless display. I assume he got wiser and more humble. Life does it to people.

canbelto

So I don't find it odd, but I do find it a bit disappointing (only from my perspective) because Pelletier was a part of the B&S vs S&P drama. B&S put it behind them (clearly Katia also put it behind her) and they were decent in dealing with S&P while both pairs toured together. Verne Lunsquist went over the top saying the two pairs are friends now. I thought it was silly to repeat that Everytime.

Whoa. So you're saying that Katia and David should divorce because you didn't like how S&P behaved nearly 20 years ago? Talk about figure skating fan entitlement.
It's none of our business who they marry. If they're happy that's all that matters.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Whoa. So you're saying that Katia and David should divorce because you didn't like how S&P behaved nearly 20 years ago? Talk about figure skating fan entitlement.
It's none of our business who they marry. If they're happy that's all that matters.

I don't think they are married, and I thought Vash was saying she was surprised they got together, not that they should break up. Like she said though, they see each other as individuals, not Canadian skaters and Russian skaters.

canbelto

I don't think they are married, and I thought Vash was saying she was surprised they got together, not that they should break up. Like she said though, they see each other as individuals, not Canadian skaters and Russian skaters.

From Katia's IG comments it's clear they got married sometime last year. People were saying "Congratulations!" to her and she was responding.

Cherub721

YEAH!
From Katia's IG comments it's clear they got married sometime last year. People were saying "Congratulations!" to her and she was responding.

Oh, I had no idea! I guess that news didn't make it to FSU or I missed it. Congrats to them!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Are you crazy? Where did I say they should divorce? Dont put words in my mouth. It makes no difference to me what happens to them. I won't even continue this stupid conversation started by you.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Oh, I had no idea! I guess that news didn't make it to FSU or I missed it. Congrats to them!
What I remember is reading (not sure when) a thread on fsu 'Is Katia married?' It was mentioned in it that she was living with David and there was speculation that they may be already married. I didn't follow the thread beyond that, so if there was a confirmation I did not see it.

As I said, it really makes no difference to me who she marries, but when I first read it, I was a bit surprised Because of the history. However, when skaters marry other skaters, I believe it is the person they are attracted to, as you correctly understood.

I need to explain the 'makes no difference to me' before someone attacks me again. When Sergei died, Katia was a 24 year old woman with a toddler and her career with Sergei ahead of her. It was tragic, shocking, etc. to many fans like me. When she and Ilia divorced it was just a marriage that didn't work. It was not devastating to me, though I am sure they had a difficult time, like any couple that breaks up. Her second marriage had seemed like a happy thing Initially. It didn't work. It happens. Her recent marriage may work or it may not. I am not into private lives of celebrities.

Last edited:

canbelto

The real issue is whether any of the Russian ladies' podium will make it to the Olympics next year.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Russian media mentions all the gold medalists and all the ladies got personal congrats from the president. Why not Boikova/Kozlovski? How is Trusova's bronze different from theirs?

mjb52

Maybe since pairs was first, the precedent hadn't been set yet for what the other medals would be, so they didn't realize that it would end up being all golds and a sweep otherwise and it would end up sticking out a little?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
First Russian ladies sweep ever VS just another medal in pairs?
I guess... It just looks weird that all the medalists got a personal congrats except for Boikova/Kozlovski.

Anyway, to the current Russian saga:
a paper writing something about Rudkovskaya and calling her `Yagudin's wife'
Yagudin publishes it in his instagram with `thanks, no thanks'
Rudkovskaya replying `just as well I was called Yagudin's wife and not Tutberidze's husband'
Lyashev: Rudkovskaya is sutpid
Rudkovskaya....

There is also a circulating rumour Trusova would be going back to Tutberidze, I really really really want to learn there is someone in Russian media who took it form the FSU april 1st thread title without entering it.

can't wait for the weekend news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information