Papadakis/Cizeron #9 - People Will See Them And Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuge

I hope they skate their normal style for olympics and keep the Tango for gala or the season after if they stay on. I don't think they are going to not skate the style they are the best at.

Peepsquick

I hope they skate their normal style for olympics and keep the Tango for gala or the season after if they stay on. I don't think they are going to not skate the style they are the best at.
I adored their Tango during the 2019 season! I think a FD-Tango has great potential for them. My only worry is that a big part of the public at Olys goes more for flashy than artsy: catchy or well-known music and "over-performing". Nothing wrong about that, it is, after all, a sporting event, but I feel P/C is more appreciated in regular figure skating venues.
I am also a bit sad, reading many posts on the coming season, that their quality as skaters make them persona non grata for many Feds who want (of course) their own champions to shine. It seems that being "too proficient" is a disadvantage in the end.

Judy

Permanent residents in Canada are required to file taxes and also declare worldwide income. So that can be a reason someone doesn't apply for it. Could also be she never planned to be training in Canada this long so never saw the need. I don't imagine she will live in Canada post Beijing.
I asked my friend how long it took her husband for permanent residency and she said 8 months but it all depended. I don’t know about elite athletes. Obviously it had to be a consideration but probably not the only ones.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I asked my friend how long it took her husband for permanent residency and she said 8 months but it all depended. I don’t know about elite athletes. Obviously it had to be a consideration but probably not the only ones.
From where were they applying and under what category?

Elite athletes file under the economic class as "self-employed," and the atheletes' current citizenship determines which office processes their applications; all offices have different timelines for processing. That isn't to say that applications can't be expedited, and Canada and France have preferred treatment for some work visas, but it depends on her specific circumstances.

Judy

From where were they applying and under what category?

Elite athletes file under the economic class as "self-employed," and the atheletes' current citizenship determines which office processes their applications; all offices have different timelines for processing. That isn't to say that applications can't be expedited, and Canada and France have preferred treatment for some work visas, but it depends on her specific circumstances.
My friend is Canadian and her husband is from Kenya. They met studying at a university in El Paso both on track and field scholarships. They ended up marrying in the U.S. to help the permanent residency but it was pretty long relationship before they started that. He has been a Canadian citizen for quite a while now.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If your friend is Canadian, and they came in through the Family path, that's a different processing process for Permanent Residency.

Cachoo

I really hope they can create a new and winning style for themselves and win convincingly the OGs. The Russian camp especially Zhulin has copied so much of their style and also from the Lauzon camp that I feel a revamp is necessary. They have the skills to do it. Hopefully Scott Moir could help? But I hope for the guys the very best. They are the best ice POV dancers bar none of the current generation.
I think Katsalapov was the best male ice dancer at the competition and I don’t think he comes close to Cizeron.

Marta24

I really missed Papadakis/Cizeron during Worlds. It was just not the same without them. I`m also so anxious about what is going to happen next year. I know that considering what S/K have been scoring since last year, they could beat P/C, but only the thought that anyone else than P/C is going to become Olympic Champs is unfathomable to me. Last year after Euros they really sounded like they needed a break, I hope this involuntary break helped them and they will come back well rested.

Bigbird

I really missed Papadakis/Cizeron during Worlds. It was just not the same without them. I`m also so anxious about what is going to happen next year. I know that considering what S/K have been scoring since last year, they could beat P/C, but only the thought that anyone else than P/C is going to become Olympic Champs is unfathomable to me. Last year after Euros they really sounded like they needed a break, I hope this involuntary break helped them and they will come back well rested.
Rejuvenated, I hope. Zhulun did not see much of the new FDs from the IAM so he has less material to copy. He has to dig deep this Olympic season. Isn't there something called ethics and professional courtesy in ice dance? A shame.

Peepsquick

What do you think about their choice of doing Hip Hop for the Olympics?
I am torn between wanting them to have fun and expand their repertoire and the fact that I didn't like Fame as much as other people did. Sure, it was fun but I actually liked their RD from 2017-8 (the Blues that everyone hated ...). I was especially fond of the second half, the swing section!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I am torn between wanting them to have fun and expand their repertoire and the fact that I didn't like Fame as much as other people did. Sure, it was fun but I actually liked their RD from 2017-8 (the Blues that everyone hated ...). I was especially fond of the second half, the swing section!
Until they say what music they are using I don't think it's possible to speculate. We saw in 2018 a lot of different music fit under the umbrella of Hip Hip and I am sure they will find something to fit their strengths.

MsZem

I see the sea
Rejuvenated, I hope. Zhulun did not see much of the new FDs from the IAM so he has less material to copy. He has to dig deep this Olympic season. Isn't there something called ethics and professional courtesy in ice dance? A shame.
Zhulin does what works and what the judges reward, but his teams aren't all trying to do the same thing and he's not even the one choreographing all (or even most?) of their stuff.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I loved the swing section!

Bigbird

Until they say what music they are using I don't think it's possible to speculate. We saw in 2018 a lot of different music fit under the umbrella of Hip Hip and I am sure they will find something to fit their strengths.
If they do something akin to what VM did for their hip hop blues number they'll have a slam dunk. Considering that I loved their gala for last year, it could be stellar. I think they will cringe at doing anything overly saccharine ever again. I'm all for it.

Bigbird

Zhulin does what works and what the judges reward, but his teams aren't all trying to do the same thing and he's not even the one choreographing all (or even most?) of their stuff.
I know. He doesn't seem to have an original bone in his body. His team are glorified grifters. All the best to them though and while they're all gunning for the Russian sweep I pray that at the very least no matter what happens G/G will have two glorious programs and at least six stupendous performances.

MsZem

I see the sea
I know. He doesn't seem to have an original bone in his body. His team are glorified grifters. All the best to them though and while they're all gunning for the Russian sweep I pray that at the very least no matter what happens G/G will have two glorious programs and at least six stupendous performances.
That's not what I wrote at all. It's possible to appreciate P/C without putting down their competitors.

Bigbird

That's not what I wrote at all. It's possible to appreciate P/C without putting down their competitors.
In truth my issue is not with the team per say but their coach and the flawed system where richer federations can play the system. Many have spoken about this for many years we've all just taken it in stride. But it's actually palpable. You can sense the tension of the ice dancers when they go to international tournaments. You could see it in the silences during the latest interview with Asher Hill and Gabriella Papadakis. The one team IMHO, that seemed able to cope was the Shibs. When they went into the COR in 2019 they were like gladiators. They knew if they made one mistake, no matter how slight they'd have given that title to B/S. So I never feel invested in good Russian teams but instead I root for exceptional Russian teams, because then the prejudice isn't needed so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information