2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

Vase

I read somewhere MT-M figured they lost 10-15pts at this event, I’m curious what the long looks like.
I thought senior pairs went well, considering a season of not much/or no competing
The newer teams maybe not ready for the bigger elements, the newest Andrew/Adcock, paired up in September. But with changes made in training hours and sessions since these videos were took, Nationals may look completely different.
I’m just hoping Walsh/Michaud is ready to compete and all teams stay strong and healthy, injury seems to be popping up more frequently among the pair teams.
But I was glad to be watching a skating event, and I can’t say I have much to comment over one event.

Xsktrx

I read somewhere MT-M figured they lost 10-15pts at this event, I’m curious what the long looks like.
I thought senior pairs went well, considering a season of not much/or no competing
The newer teams maybe not ready for the bigger elements, the newest Andrew/Adcock, paired up in September. But with changes made in training hours and sessions since these videos were took, Nationals may look completely different.
I’m just hoping Walsh/Michaud is ready to compete and all teams stay strong and healthy, injury seems to be popping up more frequently among the pair teams.
But I was glad to be watching a skating event, and I can’t say I have much to comment over one event.
Moore-Towers/Marinaro must have high hopes for this program as 10-15 more points would given them 81-86 and their all time high ISU score in the short was 76.36.

Xsktrx

Moore-Towers/Marinaro must have high hopes for this program as 10-15 more points would given them 81-86 and their all time high ISU score in the short was 76.36.
Unless they are talking about the short and long combined in which case that would make more sense.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992

Meagan Duhamel would have been more precise "We lost 10.74568 points, including 1.07843 points on the triple twist, 2.09845 points on the side-by-side jumps..." and she would have have had these calculated in the first thirty seconds after program was finished...

LL22

Now that’s funny...
And so true!!!

I kind of had a feeling the higher level teams would have a harder time here and the lower level teams would be cleaner. It takes longer to master and perform the difficult transitions, programs, and lifts. It’s easier to do a program of crossovers and light transitions. Give the top teams more time and we will see magical performances (hopefully) at nationals.
Also, Skate Canada and Ted Barton really did a great job with the competition. It was much better than I expected.

Xsktrx

I have a huge soft spot for Deanna Stellato and her fight to keep skating, so it was great to see how their short has progressed from last year.
Me too. I admire her determination. Freeskates were entertaining today. Some interesting results. Still some signs of rust for a couple of our “more” senior pairs and some nice skating but toned down elements with a couple of our “less” senior pairs. Hope nationals takes place so we can see how everyone progresses over the next few weeks given Challenge actually took place about 6 weeks ago.

Sylvia

TBD
Moore-Towers, Marinaro win virtual Skate Canada Challenge pairs title - article by Lori Ewing: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...irtual-skate-canada-challenge-paris-1.5867564
Excerpts:
The two-time Canadian champions earned 135.18 points for their free skate to Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter," for a total score of 206.22. Lori-Ann Matte and Thierry Ferland, third after the short program, moved up to claim silver (172.42), while Deanna Stellato and Maxime Deschamps were third (170.65).
The second wave of COVID-19 forced Skate Canada to hold the event virtually. Skaters performed their programs at their home rinks over the past few weeks, then submitted videos, which are being broadcast — and judged in real time — in an effort to simulate a live competition.
Stellato described watching the competition broadcast a month after skating was like playing a video game with a broken controller: you know what you want to do but can't do it.
"So, we figure with this event, our level of readiness can be compared to how we would be ready for an early summer competition, which we do just to get the kinks out. We're in no way, shape or form prepared for the season at that point," Moore-Towers said. "But it's not the summer, we're already in January."
The virtual Challenge is a qualifying event for the Canadian championships, Feb. 8-14 in Vancouver. The event is intended to be live, but with COVID-19 cases on the rise across the country, there is a chance the championship will be held virtually.
Virtual or live, Marinaro said they're preparation will be significantly better than it was for the Challenge.
"Leading into the event, we only had about three weeks of full training under our belt," he said. "So we've definitely made strides in the last four weeks as we've basically doubled our our hard training time."

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Anyone see anything in the Senior pairs short programs that came as a surprise. I thought the top 3 skated as I would expect given their experience and maturity. My two biggest surprises were how much Leung and Fletcher have improved since sectionals and clearly I’m no judge as I was really surprised with Andrew and Adcock’s score. Despite the missed jump by Patricia I thought they had several strong elements and good presentation throughout. I won’t quit my day job for a second career as a judge.
I think Andrew and Adcock were underscored in both events IMHO, my pleasant surprise was Brooke and how much she had matured and how good her and her new partner looked! Overall I was impressed with the top 3 especially considering the ice situation this season.

Xsktrx

I think Andrew and Adcock were underscored in both events IMHO, my pleasant surprise was Brooke and how much she had matured and how good her and her new partner looked! Overall I was impressed with the top 3 especially considering the ice situation this season.
I agree. Each time Andrew/Adcock got their score I was unpleasantly surprised. I realize the jumps and throws were toned down but I thought their twist was the best in the competition and I liked their lifts and overall skating. As for Brooke I felt the same way. Last year she looked like a young kid (well I suppose in reality she was) with big tricks like triple throws and solid jumps) but this year not only do she and Ben seem like a great match (similar lines and skating style) but Brooke has grown into a skater who looks right at home in the senior pairs division.

Sylvia

TBD
Anyone see anything in the Senior pairs short programs that came as a surprise. I thought the top 3 skated as I would expect given their experience and maturity. My two biggest surprises were how much Leung and Fletcher have improved since sectionals
I also thought Cassandra Leung/Paxton Fletcher have improved noticeably since they first teamed up last season (she was new to pairs, IIRC).
Where’s the Challenge thread? I’m not seeing it.
Kiss & Cry section (need to have a season pass subscription to view): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/skate-canada-challenge-virtual-jan-8-10-15-17-2021.107945/

dramagrrl

I was not a fan of MTM2 to start with, but they have been growing on me steadily over the years. I thought they had some of the best programs in the field last season and I like the choreo for this year's FS, but bringing up the Dube/Davison comparison does not serve them well. To me, the main reason why that music suited D&D so well was because of the softness they had to their skating. D&D, when at their best, were a very classic, old-school pairs team, with the "two shall skate as one" aspect of their pairs skills being one of their highlights. MTM2, to me, have a scrappy quality to them that isn't best served by this type of music. Some of their weaknesses are better hidden by quicker, edgier music with a more modern aesthetic.

(I think Julianne and Charlie would have been much better suited to "The Blower's Daughter" if they were still skating together. Were I to do a comparison between Dube/Davison era Canadian pairs teams and the era of the last few years, MTM2 are more like Langlois/Hay - although they are already better than L/H ever were, IMO - while S/B were much more like D/D.)

Sylvia

TBD
Alison Purkiss spoke of her teams and Nationals in this article
Thanks! Direct link to Brian Smiley's latest article:
Excerpts:
Purkiss said she expects an announcement from the International Skating Union within the next couple of weeks. Until then, at least two teams she coaches will be training as if they’re going.
Reigning national champions from 2020 – Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro – along with runners-up – Evelyn Walsh and Trennt Michaud – have both qualified to attend worlds based on those results.
“We have not heard confirmation that worlds is cancelled,” said Purkiss.
“Evelyn and Trennt and Mike and Kirsten have to keep training for the next few weeks.”
Purkiss’ skaters performed their programs more than six weeks ago, while skaters in B.C. and Quebec just recently completed theirs. That put the Brant club competitors at a disadvantage.
“For us, we recorded the video at the end of November so when (the announcer) kept saying on the broadcast on the Skate Canada site that it was skated a week or two ago, it was two months ago for us,” Purkiss said.
“It was frustrating because they’re all way better than they were when they recorded the video.”
Patricia Andrew and Steven Adcock – a new team in the senior division – wound up seventh.
Purkiss said Andrew and Adcock are full of promise but, like any new team, their performance had some hesitation in it.
“The frustrating thing for them is we only started programs for them in October,” said Purkiss of the team that was formed in September.
“That was probably three weeks into them training together when that video was shot. Since then, they have two triple throws added to the program, side-by-side triple jumps and added levels to all three of their lifts in the long program.
“Beyond that, they got a 95 in the long program without a lot of difficulty. There’s good stuff there that they can really build on.”

skatingguy

decently
I believe that might be a throw triple flip. Something new for Brooke and Ben if my memory is right. Great twist for Andrew/Adcock.
Yeah it's a throw flip (really flip & lutz throws are almost the same thing) - looks like two different attempts shot from different perspectives, and the first starts mid way through the take off.

Vase

I’m not sure how to copy but looks like coach Alison Purkiss posted clips on Instagram. Twist from junior team, and triple throws from A/A, W/M and M/M

Xsktrx

With world going ahead, and assuming Kirsten/Mike, Evelyn/Trent are healthy thus who Skate Canada sends they are all going to have to kick it into high gear to be more ready than they were when Challenge was filmed, especially given the Russians and Americans have actually been competing. Evelyn & Trent were injured at that time and haven’t competed in about a year and Kirsten/Mike surely didn’t look ready at Challenge to take on the world. But no doubt the time since Challenge was filmed plus 6 weeks more can make a huge difference. Hopefully they all get up to speed and have a good showing.

mackiecat

With world going ahead, and assuming Kirsten/Mike, Evelyn/Trent are healthy thus who Skate Canada sends they are all going to have to kick it into high gear to be more ready than they were when Challenge was filmed, especially given the Russians and Americans have actually been competing. Evelyn & Trent were injured at that time and haven’t competed in about a year and Kirsten/Mike surely didn’t look ready at Challenge to take on the world. But no doubt the time since Challenge was filmed plus 6 weeks more can make a huge difference. Hopefully they all get up to speed and have a good showing.
Also remember that the pair skaters might not have thought of the challenge taping as a competition. They were all going through to Canadians (“they just needed to skate at the taping”) at that time they were planning to peak at Nationals in Feb. Also, while the skaters were allowed on the ice in July, they were not allowed to skate as a pair until several weeks later.

Sylvia

TBD
Brooke and Ben’s twist keeps improving.
Benjamin Mimar has shared the same double twist clip in his Instgram story that can be viewed for several more hours (Evans' has expired): https://www.instagram.com/benjamin_mimar/

Congrats to Moore-Towers/Marinaro and Walsh/Michaud on being named to the 2021 World team (as expected). :)

Marinaro did an Instagram Live with CAN Fund last week: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLcs3hBBn9G/
He got to tell Kirsten the good news about her being a CAN Fund #150Women recipient back on Feb. 4: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK4NqKEB_Fe/

ETA:

Marinaro plans to stop competing in 2022 after the Beijing Olympics and perhaps the world championships.

“The plan is for the Games to happen and that will be the end of the career,” he said last month. “Fingers crossed that the Games are going to happen and we can finish on a high note at the Games.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information