Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Loves_Shizuka

Serena-Sabalenka and particularly Osaka-Muguruza were such interesting matches.

Serena is moving better than she has for a long time.

Osaka really does have the mentality of a champion now. Garbi was 5-3 and two MP's up.

Felix AA needs to learn how to compete like Naomi, bad loss from two sets up today.

Desperado

Felix AA needs to learn how to compete like Naomi, bad loss from two sets up today.
I was thinking the same thing, that he needs to talk to her about how to change his game during the matches. It look like he starts with a game plan, but becomes utterly lost when it stops working. He’ll figure it out at some point.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Of course, Djokovic had no problems beating Raonic last night, but insists he is risking serious injury playing. :rolleyes: If it's so bad, just go home already you sulky brat.

Meanwhile, Nadal continues to make himself popular with the Aussie fans.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Awww my favourite 2 men are playing each other in the next round - Nadal and Tsitsipas. I hate it when this happens. I’ll root for Rafa as his opportunities left are limited and Stefanos hopefully has many good years ahead. :kickass:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Amazing win for Stefanos today! I'm still dreaming he can win it, but fully expecting Med to thrash him on Friday after he's played 2 long 5 setters already.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I think that while Osaka is in the way of Serena before or in the final the Grand Slam 24 wont come :(

liv

Great job, Naomi. Love her. She can just keep on winning, please.

Yup, FAA needs to develop that "fire in his belly." I see a bright future if he can just become a better competitor...he really had that match. Apart from the tennis, he is also very likeable, making me want it for him. But he still took a step forward here.

So happy for Tsitsipas. I have huge admiration for Rafa, but to see someone totally refocus mid match, against such a competitor... that was a great effort.

And, please, someone just take down Djoker.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I hope Medvedev knows he's got a whole country barracking for him to win tonight and beat Djokovic. Please, please beat Djokovic. PLEASE.

skatingguy

decently
I hope Medvedev knows he's got a whole country barracking for him to win tonight and beat Djokovic. Please, please beat Djokovic. PLEASE.
Isn't there a significant Serbian population in Melbourne? I feel like he gets more support at this event then most, but maybe his recent antics have changed some opinions in Australia.

skatingguy

decently
Medvedev's lack of prowess at net is starting to hurt him, and he's not been as consistent off the ground as usual. The good news is that this is point of the match where he started to play better when he played Nadal at the US Open in 2019.

skatingguy

decently
Great to see Djokovic’s fan base booing the mention of vaccines....:rolleyes:
Were they booing the vaccines? I couldn't tell if it was the vaccines or the mention of the government, because they booed the government again when the woman speaking thanked the government with helping to put on the tournament.
I used to like the Joker, but man has he turned into a nutcase these past years. Or was he always one any I just didn't notice?
He's got a history with this sort of thing - the pandemic has just brought these issues to the surface - there's been the guru, the tank thing from a few years back, and the anti-vaccine thing has come up before last year.

jlai

Question everything
After Medvedev blew it at breakpoint 40-0 and needed to catch up 3 points in a row, it was over (for the set and mental game). :(

Sylvia

TBD
Announced today: https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/new..._for_return_of_the_championships_in_2021.html
We are currently working to a spectator capacity position of around 25%, based on the current Sports Grounds Safety Authority guidance, but we will remain flexible as we await the outcome of the government’s Event Research Programme and clarity on the likelihood of restrictions relaxing beyond 21 June.
Bolton added: “We very much hope 25% is a minimum position from which we can build - it is our absolute desire to enable as many people as possible to safely attend The Championships this year. At the heart of our thinking is the intention to create the mix of spectators for which Wimbledon is known, while also working hard to protect the financial performance of The Championships, including the surplus that we deliver for the benefit of British tennis.”
Looking beyond 2021, the AELTC also announced a significant development to enhance The Championships, and open up tennis, for the future. From 2022, to coincide with the centenary of Centre Court, Middle Sunday will become a permanent part of the tournament schedule, turning The Championships into a 14-day event.
Wimbledon Spring press conference earlier today (April 27): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVcFtFWqClM

Fiero425

Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open citing mental health issues.
I wish her well.
Osaka Withdraws

The media and tournament promoters never learn a lesson; esp. dealing with young people! It was if they pushed Naomi out making such a "to do" about her skipping after-match interviews! It's a requirement, she was being fined, she was honest with why she was withholding, but "talking heads" can't help making it a bigger story than it needed to be! Now they come back with phony concern due to mental stability issues! "Ahhh, thanks, but no thanks idiot media!" I get more and more exercized over the years seeing how the MSM has degenerated into "thirsty wannabees" over actual reporters!

In the world of sports, the latest example of what I'm talking about is with ex-basketball pro Kwame Brown! He was drafted #1 by Michael Jordan over 20 years ago! Thru the media, commentators, now other ex-players overburdened this 17 year old so unfairly I barely want to post this! He was undermined and made to feel inadequate, finally becoming a punch-line on late night TV! He played for at least 12 years, earned $10's of Millions, and had a nice little career for a poor, homeless kid! After 20 years he has a forum and is going after those detractors and it's been a joy to see and hear! His biggest adversary was Stephen A. Smith and he's being made to look foolish after so many years of abusing this kid! Now he's taking the smacks upside the head! Love it! :40beers:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I think they all did the right thing. Press conferences are part of being a tennis player. If they made an exception for one player what would it lead to?
I wish her all the best as well. She did the right thing withdrawing if she wasn’t up to doing the whole thing. I hope she will be ok for the Olympics.

caseyedwards

It would Totally set a precedent to allow osaka to try to turn a tournament into a gigantic safe space where she can never be criticized or challenged. All players would do it! Djokovic? Serena. I mean they have gotten away with one question press conferences. Osaka seemingly doenst know the one question and leave tactic

Tesla

Whippet Good
This makes me so angry! 🤬 The tennis organizations should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of just fining her and letting her be, they had to keep going after her. F*ck them. I hope she regroups and gets into a better headspace, and a tiny part of me hopes part of this is a big middle finger to the organizers.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
I think they all did the right thing. Press conferences are part of being a tennis player. If they made an exception for one player what would it lead to?
I wish her all the best as well. She did the right thing withdrawing if she wasn’t up to doing the whole thing. I hope she will be ok for the Olympics.
The press conference shouldn't be a requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information