Interview with Duhamel: "I'm going to predict a Russian sweep of the [pairs] podium for Worlds"

clairecloutier

So I have a new interview with Meagan Duhamel on my web site ... As everyone knows, Meagan has had a lot going on since Pyeongchang (becoming a mom, moving, coaching, winning Battle of the Blades). Most of the interview is about what's been happening with her since the Olympics. But, Meagan being Meagan, she also continues to follow pairs closely and, at the end of our interview, gives her opinion on how the pairs discipline has changed since Pyeongchang, and also shares her views on the top teams right now.

Last edited:

mjb52

Great interview! The part about the twist was really interesting. It had me thinking about how the really stand-out quality of Panfilova/Rylov's triple twist has surprised me a bit because Rylov is not that tall compared to Kozlovski or Galliamov. But it seems like maybe it's more about the explosive quality or the technique/timing. The part about Canadian Nationals was obviously interesting in light of the discussion in the other thread. I wonder if she will ever look toward taking on a role in Skate Canada, as Pechalat has in France, or if that isn't her style. She seems like someone with a lot of interesting ideas and intelligence but who might not be inclined toward the political side of an organization like that.

Colonel Green

Do we know if Sui/Han are going to Worlds? I would have assumed so since I imagine China wants three pairs spots for next year, but then, it doesn't seem like we get a ton of news about what's going on with them.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
If China wants to qualify three spots for Olympics in Stockholm, it will have to send three pairs and have them all advance to the free under the new rules. Oh and make the magic number 13 obviously.

Orm Irian

I've always found Duhamel's personality rather grating - I couldn't keep following her on Instagram, she was so exhausting - but when she talks skating she generally talks a lot of sense and I enjoyed reading it here. It's interesting to find out how much she disliked doing twists, because like a good performer she never showed the slightest hint of it on the ice! (And utterly unsurprising to learn that Bruno Massot needed all his energy to launch those enormous, explosive twists of his so they had to come first in any program.)

olympic

I'm usually a good score tracker but YKW screwed up the season. There was nothing to follow.

Who are the best pairs competing this year? IIRC, going into 2020 Worlds last March, the US had an outside shot at 3 spots. But again, I have no idea what team is situated where going into 2021 Worlds.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm usually a good score tracker but YKW screwed up the season. There was nothing to follow.

Who are the best pairs competing this year? IIRC, going into 2020 Worlds last March, the US had an outside shot at 3 spots. But again, I have no idea what team is situated where going into 2021 Worlds.
3 Russian teams for sure, definitely Peng/Jin, most likely Sui/Han although we don't hear so much about their status, MT/M from Canada. There would be a slight outside chance if either of the two American teams can get into that top 6, BUT the big thing is if it's 6th, then the other team has to be right behind them in 7th, pushing one of those 6 teams even lower. If either US team can get into 5th, there's probably a great shot at earning 3 spots (NOTE: potentially earning 3 spots, as the third would have to be earned outright at Nebelhorn).

It could be close. Knierim/Frazier have never been scored by an international panel, though, so who knows where their PCS will be.

Della Monica/Guarise don't really seem to be a threat to the US teams this season and will probably battle to be in the top 10 with the Germans, Austrians, and quite possibly even the Japanese.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
3 Russian teams for sure, definitely Peng/Jin, most likely Sui/Han although we don't hear so much about their status, MT/M from Canada. There would be a slight outside chance if either of the two American teams can get into that top 6, BUT the big thing is if it's 6th, then the other team has to be right behind them in 7th, pushing one of those 6 teams even lower. If either US team can get into 5th, there's probably a great shot at earning 3 spots (NOTE: potentially earning 3 spots, as the third would have to be earned outright at Nebelhorn).

It could be close. Knierim/Frazier have never been scored by an international panel, though, so who knows where their PCS will be.

Della Monica/Guarise don't really seem to be a threat to the US teams this season and will probably battle to be in the top 10 with the Germans, Austrians, and quite possibly even the Japanese.
There's a new Belarussian team (Russian imports) who could be competitive for top 10 also, plus the Czech team that has it's release sorted out, I believe. And I think there is a young Georgian team (also Russian imports) who could be competitive. Do we have any idea if the North Koreans are still competing?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's interesting that she thinks K/F might have medal potential in the right circumstances but doesn't think either of the Chinese pairs will make the podium.

I am skeptical of these predictions. :D

Colonel Green

It's interesting that she thinks K/F might have medal potential in the right circumstances but doesn't think either of the Chinese pairs will make the podium.
Predictions are of the most likely outcome; that’s not inconsistent with thinking that other teams could hypothetically also make the podium.

tony

I am skeptical of these predictions. :D
I mean, do we watch the same skaters RE: Peng/Jin? She's likely to miss a second SBS triple in the LP, or perhaps they will just go for doubles or substitute in lesser 2As. But it's not as if their PCS was carrying them above B/K or T/M last year, and we all know how strong M/G have come on. I really like them, but their programs often have big pockets of nothing. P/J's personal best free skate is still just barely over 140.

With Sui/Han a question mark combined with how B/K seemed poised to challenge them last year (or even be favorites at Worlds), matched with T/M getting their consistency back and M/G being a wildcard capable of giving all of the teams a run for their money, it's not that wild of a prediction to have all three Russians on the podium with S/H either not 100% or not particularly on.

Colonel Green

I personally have taken from experience never to bet against Sui & Han, but considering how little we know about them versus how much we’ve seen of the Russian teams, it’s perhaps not surprising that some people are betting on the latter.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So I have a new interview with Meagan Duhamel on my web site ... As everyone knows, Meagan has had a lot going on since Pyeongchang (becoming a mom, moving, coaching, winning Battle of the Blades). Most of the interview is about what's been happening with her since the Olympics. But, Meagan being Meagan, she also continues to follow pairs closely and, at the end of our interview, gives her opinion on how the pairs discipline has changed since Pyeongchang, and also shares her views on the top teams right now.

Great interview. The baby is adorable.
I am very surprised by her prediction about a Russian sweep at worlds lf Sui Han compete, the Russian sweep would be an impossibility, right? I think any of the three Russian pairs has the potential to win the gold, but all three on the podium does not seem likely, IMHO.

Karen-W

Great interview. The baby is adorable.
I am very surprised by her prediction about a Russian sweep at worlds lf Sui Han compete, the Russian sweep would be an impossibility, right? I think any of the three Russian pairs has the potential to win the gold, but all three on the podium does not seem likely, IMHO.
Well, the thing about Sui/Han is they're coming off another injury for her and chose to not compete at CoC, nor have they put in any appearances at any other Chinese domestic competitions this fall/winter. So, they're a real unknown. If S/H show up in Stockholm prepared then a Russian sweep is out of the question because S/H are that good. But, if S/H don't make it to Stockholm, which is a real possibility IMO, then is a Russian sweep likely? Probably.

Yes, I'd put all three Russian teams ahead of Peng/Jin based on what we've seen (not much from P/J) with, as @tony noted, T/M regaining their consistency, B/K's overall skill and TES being ahead of P/J, and M/G continuing to improve fast. However, T/M's consistency is yet to be tested outside of Russia, B/K have struggled on the throws this season, and M/G have melted down in the FS of RusNats the past two years when the judges were ready to hand them a spot on the Euros/Worlds teams, so how do they hold up under the pressure of possibly medaling at their Worlds debut (assuming they make the team next weekend), especially if they're in the top 3 after the SP?

That leaves the door open for P/J, in most all likelihood, to medal should one of the Russian teams falter. And, it also leaves the door open for a surprise medal from a team like K/F, MT/M or even DM/G. I think Meagan is not far off-base in suggesting that K/F could possibly sneak in for a medal if the stars align (ie - S/H skipping Worlds or not entirely ready, plus at least one Russian team faltering). Based on what we've seen out of K/F at both SkAm and USNats, they definitely have the potential to rock the pairs status quo. Same goes for MT/M but to a lesser extent than K/F because they had a longer period off the ice due to limited/no ice and, quite frankly, their lifts and SBS 3s are still suspect. DM/G are less likely than the other two because they simply haven't been in as good of shape the last couple seasons as they were in 2019, but if they came out like gangbusters, they could certainly skate to a medal given an opening from any of the Russians or S/H faltering.

BittyBug

Disgusted
All this talk about Mishin and Galliamov going to Worlds - has the Russian team been decided? I was hoping the third pair would be Pavliuchenko and Khodykin.

mjb52

It will be decided at the Russia Cup Final. I think P/K have a fair chance; M/G have just been very strong. But I don't think it's pre-decided at all.

Karen-W

All this talk about Mishin and Galliamov going to Worlds - has the Russian team been decided? I was hoping the third pair would be Pavliuchenko and Khodykin.

It will be decided at the Russia Cup Final. I think P/K have a fair chance; M/G have just been very strong. But I don't think it's pre-decided at all.
The talk in the Russian Team Event last weekend was that M/G have a pretty huge PCS margin over P/K at this point, so if they manage to not bomb like they have at RusNats the past 2 years, they are likely to get their ticket to Stockholm punched.

And, I will say, I think that M/G are the stronger team with a better shot at medaling at Worlds than P/K, so that would be another factor in a potential Russian sweep.

hanca

Values her privacy
There's a new Belarussian team (Russian imports) who could be competitive for top 10 also, plus the Czech team that has it's release sorted out, I believe. And I think there is a young Georgian team (also Russian imports) who could be competitive. Do we have any idea if the North Koreans are still competing?
The Czech team may have the release issue sorted, but seeing their YouTube from the nationals, I don’t think they have any chance to be it top 10. They will be lucky if they qualify to FS.

Colonel Green

The Czech team may have the release issue sorted, but seeing their YouTube from the nationals, I don’t think they have any chance to be it top 10. They will be lucky if they qualify to FS.
There may not be any luck involved there; it’s unclear if there’ll be enough pairs to exceed the cut.

hanca

Values her privacy
There may not be any luck involved there; it’s unclear if there’ll be enough pairs to exceed the cut.
That’s what you already wrote in another thread. And I explained to you that at last Europeans there were 13 countries having pairs, adding to it countries outside Europe (USA, Canada, China and Japan) that’s 17 countries. Some countries have allowance for multiple entries, such as Russia, USA, China, Canada... and adding countries who were not at Europeans last year but have a pair (Czech Republic, Georgia, Belarus, maybe also Australia if Windsor found a partner)...so I can’t see why there should be less than 16 pairs.

Colonel Green

That’s what you already wrote in another thread. And I explained to you that at last Europeans there were 13 countries having pairs, adding to it countries outside Europe (USA, Canada, China and Japan) that’s 17 countries. Some countries have allowance for multiple entries, such as Russia, USA, China, Canada... and adding countries who were not at Europeans last year but have a pair (Czech Republic, Georgia, Belarus, maybe also Australia if Windsor found a partner)...so I can’t see why there should be less than 16 pairs.
The cut is 20 now.

tony

Yeah, the cut is 20 and I think at a very minimum right now we are looking at minimum 21, not including CZE and potentially GEO (edit: no, not GEO. She’s too young), maybe other countries that I’m forgetting. I don’t know the status of CRO or whether GBR will have enough time to get ice/the second team will get the TES.

Does Germany have another pair (ready) for Worlds? Is PRK still competing?

Switzerland and Sweden are trying at Challenge Cup. I guess the second AUT team, Choinard/Mayr, are just hoping for a successful video review?

There were 24 pairs scheduled for Worlds last year, so I think chances are high of being at least 20.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Germany has a new pair Efimova/Blommaert, but not sure if she would be released in time. Her last international competition was in Novermer 2019, so in theory she could represent another country according to ISU rules, if Russian federation release her. But Russian federation were not particularly impressed that they found out about this partnership from the internet, so I guess politicking may play a role in her release (or not release).

Recently I read that Nika Osipova will be skating for Netherlands with Dmitry Epstein. So that may be another pair. She hasn’t been competing internationally so the Russian federation should not make any problems with her release.

Karen-W

Yeah, the cut is 20 and I think at a very minimum right now we are looking at minimum 21, not including CZE and potentially GEO (edit: no, not GEO. She’s too young), maybe other countries that I’m forgetting. I don’t know the status of CRO or whether GBR will have enough time to get ice/the second team will get the TES.

Switzerland and Sweden are trying at Challenge Cup. I guess the second AUT team, Choinard/Mayr, are just hoping for a successful video review?

There were 24 pairs scheduled for Worlds last year, so I think chances are high of being at least 20.
RUS 3, CHN 3, USA 2, CAN 2, FRA 2, ITA 2 - that's 14 teams right there
AUT 2 (2nd team trying to qualify TES)
JPN, ISR, GBR, GER, HUN, CZE, BLR, NED
Right there we have 23 teams, with AUT potentially having a 2nd qualify to give us 24
ESP, SUI, SWE each have teams trying to qualify either by video or at Challenge Cup - that gives is potentially 27 teams, and who knows what the status of PRK is - it seems like a reasonable expectation that there will be 6 or 7 flights of pairs teams at Worlds.

Btw @hanca - Windsor seems to be injured per his IG (wrist). And NED has 2 pairs teams now with Osipova/Epstein.

hanca

Values her privacy
Btw @hanca - Windsor seems to be injured per his IG (wrist).
I didn’t see his instagram, but there was discussion about a month ago that he was seen in Russia skating with Nadezda Labazina (Russian skater, looked quite promising about a year ago). Since then Labazina has been also seen with Sviatchenko recently so maybe it was a tryout with Windsor and it didn’t work out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information