David Wilson Calls for New Leadership at Skate Canada

Willin

I find the suggestion that the USFS has a lot more money/support than Skate Canada questionable. I'm not an insider by any stretch, but both feds have a contract with a major network to broadcast their Nationals and their major fall international. Beyond that... I suppose it is possible the USFS has done a better job of saving/investing the financial windfalls that both feds experienced when FS was at its North American zenith in the 90s and 00s. But I'm not sure I buy the notion that the USFS has so much money in its coffers that it could afford to make Nats happen this year in Vegas with the small planning/organizing window they had from the time SkAm was held to mid-January (less than 3 months), especially when they had to pivot in November from in-person qualifying events to a virtual qualifying competition. David Wilson made some good points in his remarks about Skate Canada's seeming inability to shift in any meaningful way that allows Canadian skaters competition opportunities, especially an in-person Nationals, and it does make Skate Canada look, IMO, like a fading power in the sport when the other 3 leading nations all managed to hold their own Nationals in December and January, along with other countries like Italy and France.

It is hard to conceive that the Canadian federation is short of money and it is certainly not destitute. It laid off a lot of people last year and as it did not have to fund any overseas trips for skaters/officials, homeland competitions or its Swiss based president there had to be money available to invest in domestic competitions - virtual or live.

@skaitngguy - Travel is restricted to parts of this country? Since when? People were asked not to travel but there was no restriction ever placed on people travelling.
Skate Canada has a lot less money. Their skaters get a lot less funding and support than US skaters. For instance, in the US synchro's top teams get the same funding as top singles skaters. Several individual synchro skaters (including ones on not top teams or even some not on senior teams) are even fully funded in their training - and as a result can't get released by USFS to skate for other countries. Meanwhile, synchro teams in Canada get $0 of funding despite getting better international results. They even have to pay for parts of their travel to some internationals. If that doesn't say USFS has more money, I don't know what does.

I would add that national competitions tend to have sponsors to help put them on, and the ISU foots a chunk of the bill for GPs. I would imagine USFS has some sweet deal with The Orleans given how easy it was to organize COVID stuff through them - they even planned several synchro comps there. Considering how cheap Vegas hotel rooms are right now, it's not a stretch to think the Orleans gave USFS a good deal to drum up publicity and business. Who knows if Skate Canada would even be able to get a good deal like that.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I think Skate Canada made the correct decision to cancel the event.
Heck, no! Canadians end up being the “scardie cats” of the globe.

Russian TV has been showing lots of footage of many Intl competitions going on for various winter sports, such as biathlon, snowboarding, hockey, etc. Absolutely no excuse for pressing on with figure skating.

Last edited:

Seerek

Timing matters.

Timing is absolutely a big factor.

All the other winter sports in Canada other than curling (late Feb/early March) and figure skating (Janaury) hold their national championships either before their World Cup season begins in September/October (short/long track speed skating) or after the world Cup season ends in March (everything outdoors).

MsZem

I see the sea
I support cancelling Nats.

There is a reason that Canada is doing so much better than the US WRT ********* numbers.
There are many reasons why some countries are doing better than others, but holding vs. canceling Nationals is not one of them. It's not a reflection on how well CV is being handled or whether it's being taken more or less seriously.

There are options that are neither "cancel" nor "do a Rostelecom-like super-spreader event", as demonstrated by multiple sporting events held in many different places in recent months. This includes - as Wilson points out in the article - skating competitions. I do recognize that skating does not have the same $$$ that hockey does, but if multiple other federations managed to hold Nationals safely, why is it that Skate Canada could not?

Is it true that Skate Canada's president does not actually live in Canada? I mean, this is the situation for Israel, but one can hardly compare the two.

Last edited:

Japanfan

There are many reasons why some countries are doing better than others, but holding vs. canceling Nationals is not one of them. It's not a reflection on how well CV is being handled or whether it's being taken more or less seriously.
I would say it is a reflection.

There are options that are neither "cancel" nor "do a Rostelecom-like super-spreader event", as demonstrated by multiple sporting events held in many different places in recent months. This includes - as Wilson points out in the article - skating competitions. I do recognize that skating does not have the same $$$ that hockey does, but if multiple other federations managed to hold Nationals safely, why is it that Skate Canada could not?

I agree with this.

Last edited:

_Lola_

It is indeed strange that while figure skating events were canceled, other sport events were not. It looks like double standards to me and a deliberate choice that the figure skating management took in Canada. Canadian skaters did not have a choice. Had they have competitions, those who were deprived from training could have withdrawn, if they felt unprepared. Others could participate. At least, they would have this choice.

Can I add something about Russia since it appears here and there as an example of horrible way of dealing with ***** (I don't disagree with that)? The Sputnik vaccine has already been available for wider public in Moscow for some time. I have many friends who got their shots. There are plenty of slots available everyday and one can choose and get the shot. It is not the case in other parts of the country. I don't know if Russian skaters and coaches were vaccinated, but I think it is highly likely that everyone who wanted among them already was. I live in Finland, and situation is very different here with priority groups and long lines. I don't have access to vaccine in Helsinki and won't probably have for a long time, whereas I would already have access in Moscow.

skatingguy

decently
Heck, no! Canadians end up being the pansies of the globe.

Russian TV has been showing lots of footage of many Intl competitions going on for various winter sports, such as biathlon, snowboarding, hockey, etc. Absolutely no excuse for pressing on with figure skating.
If the event can be held safely, and the organization hosting has the financial resources to do so then fine, go ahead, but Skate Canada really doesn't have those resources.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
It is indeed strange that while figure skating events were canceled, other sport events were not. It looks like double standards to me and a deliberate choice that the figure skating management took in Canada. Canadian skaters did not have a choice. Had they have competitions, those who were deprived from training could have withdrawn, if they felt unprepared. Others could participate. At least, they would have this choice.
The World Juniors were held in late December/early January, but this event has the backing of an international sports federation, and generates considerably more money in TV revenue, and sponsorships then any event Skate Canada has hosted so far this century. The plan is to proceed with the national curling championships this month, and next, but again these events also generate far more TV revenue, and sponsorships then figure skating currently does. The Canadian figure skating championships are a two day event, and Skate Canada has considerably more limited financial resources then either hockey, or curling, and so for this year it made sense to cancel the event.

MsZem

I see the sea
Can I add something about Russia since it appears here and there as an example of horrible way of dealing with ***** (I don't disagree with that)? The Sputnik vaccine has already been available for wider public in Moscow for some time. I have many friends who got their shots. There are plenty of slots available everyday and one can choose and get the shot. It is not the case in other parts of the country. I don't know if Russian skaters and coaches were vaccinated, but I think it is highly likely that everyone who wanted among them already was. I live in Finland, and situation is very different here with priority groups and long lines. I don't have access to vaccine in Helsinki and won't probably have for a long time, whereas I would already have access in Moscow.
Russia comes up as an example because lots of high-profile Russian skaters have been infected, some have come down with serious cases, and for at least one skater it has already been career ending. Add to that the gala dinner at Rostelecom and the poor mask compliance there and at other events - before any vaccine was widely available - and Russia is a cautionary tale, not an example.

Generally speaking, whatever vaccine one can get is a good idea, but you're likely better off with something FDA approved than with Sputnik.

_Lola_

Generally speaking, whatever vaccine one can get is a good idea, but you're likely better off with something FDA approved than with Sputnik.
There was a recent article in Lancet that validated Sputnik. Of cause, it wouldn't be available outside the country before certification is done. I understand your skepticism, but I also think it was important to share this bit of information. With vaccination in progress, live events will hopefully become less dangerous. One more thing. We don't know much who was infected among American and Canadian skaters. Do you think it is because practically no one was infected? Or is it because the skaters don't share this information publicly? By asking this, I am not saying that Russian case is not problematic - it is indeed, that's obvious.

hanca

Values her privacy
Is this intended to be satire? You seem stressed—may I suggest a glass of red and a bath with essential oils?

-BB
Dear BB,
Thank you very much for your kind concern. Fortunately I can assure you that I am not stressed at all. Life is great at the moment. However, one can’t go wrong with a glass of red wine, or even better, a full mug or red mulled wine, so I will (partially) follow your advice. I don’t need a bath, I just had a shower, so I will discard the other part of your advice. But thank you for your suggestions. If you have some other - useful - suggestions, please don’t hesitate to share them. I will consider them and may or may not follow them.
-H

skategal

Bunny mama
Just to add to what others are saying, I'm not sure Skate Canada had much of a choice besides cancelling.

BC was not likely to have it there and moving the competition wasn't going to happen due to CV restrictions in other parts of Canada as well as the more pressing problem of securing a suitable arena.

Pretty much every arena of any size in Canada has a competitive hockey team attached to it who have already had their season messed up and they aren't about to give up their limited home ice on short notice for a figure skating event.

Heads would roll if that was even suggested. Hockey is just that popular here. It's like everyone's religion. :lol:

If Nationals had been originally scheduled for Alberta years in advance, such as the World Juniors were, it may have gone ahead but certainly not on the spur of the moment when their teams had already been messed up with CV restrictions and moving out for the World Juniors.

We just don't have an Orleans type arena to hold it.

Plus if you could even get a venue, then new plans would have had to be submitted to public health in the province where it was to be held and approved by them before anything could happen.

Depending on how many other plans public health are looking at and approving for other groups (most likely a ton) Skate Canada was running out of time to move the event.

That being said Skate Canada probably needs new leadership but not for that.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

And yet there was a National Championship for Hockey at the same time with the same restrictions in place.
Don’t bring up facts about people who believe that Canada can do no wrong don’t want to touch. LOL.

But the truth is, the skaters may not be going to worlds because when they come home they’ll be interred in a basically a prison for three days and be charged $2000 for the privilege.

But if this does apply to your skaters, I would assume the only skaters who train outside of Canada will go to worlds. Because they have a place to go home to where they don’t have to pay to be detained for three days.

skatingguy

decently
But the truth is, the skaters may not be going to worlds because when they come home they’ll be interred in a basically a prison for three days and be charged $2000 for the privilege.
Oh come on. The government has already announced that athletes will be exempt. As for other travelers, they will be required to book a hotel room of their choosing for up to 3 days, and charged the rates that they negotiate with the hotel

Judy

Oh come on. The government has already announced that athletes will be exempt. As for other travelers, they will be required to book a hotel room of their choosing for up to 3 days, and charged the rates that they negotiate with the hotel
Well that is not entirely true. To enter you need a clean covid test and quarantine for 14 days. If you can’t safely quarantine then the govt will put you up in specific hotels to safely quarantine for 14 days. Everything paid for by govt including food. You also can’t leave the room and there is a guard at the elevator.

Colonel Green

Well, for starters, a number of the things you list are outdoor sports -- the difference should be obvious.

If by hockey, do you mean organized professional leagues? Those are only possible with expensive quarantine measures that Skate Canada could not afford.
Holding nationals intrinsically involves doing things that the government is expressly asking people not to do, such as travel between provinces. There's no reason to think the British Columbian government would have allowed nationals to happen even if Skate Canada had tried to go ahead with it; they saw the writing on the wall.
Russia has vaccinated approximately 4 million people as of the most recent figures. Every person helps, of course, but nowhere near enough to insure that it's safe to hold events the way they have been.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Just a reminder that, totally aside from the lack of $$$ (from sponsors, state organizations, etc.), from travel issues, from the need to "bubble", etc., Skate Canada's national championships might have been impacted by a lack of skaters able to participate (or fully trained and ready to participate). There were some skaters who were unable to participate in the virtual Challenge as they were unable to get ice time to do their (supervised) video for submission; there were slso skaters who (unlike those at TCSCC) were not able to train inside and resorted to skating outdoors, if at all.

In Ontario some exemptions were made for "elite" athletes to continue training in the lockdown but this did not cover all potential competitors.

Those of you outside Canada who really don't know about all of the conditions in each of the provinces (or regions within provinces) across this great country should, perhaps, limit your comments... [just a polite Canadian suggestion 😷🇨🇦]

Last edited:

Judy

How have...
the United States
Japan
Russia
Italy
Germany
France
Austria
Hungary
New Zealand
Czech Republic
Slovakia

all managed to complete a national championship this season? Surely not all these federations are as financially destitute as the Canadian federation?

Face it,your figure skating president dropped the ball (whilst living in Europe!) and now the skaters suffer.

-BB
I have absolutely NO idea how the rest of the world is handling Covid. I struggle to keep up with my city and province. My niece works for Own the podium but she is in the middle of a pandemic move to her new condo today. I will hopefully see her either tomorrow or Monday as she is moving a 8 minute walk from me yay). I’ll ask her if she knows anything although I have no idea if they have any skaters. It’s really difficult to understand Skate Canada’s decision without really talking to them though directly. I like to deal with facts vs guessing.

MsZem

I see the sea
Well, for starters, a number of the things you list are outdoor sports -- the difference should be obvious.

As I posted in the ISU (cancelled) championships thread a couple of weeks ago, plenty of indoor sports are still going on:

Okay. There's also been gymnastics (last month), darts, wrestling, and judo - which are certainly not outdoor sports. And the latter two are contact sports!

ETA: also badminton going on right now. Sorry for forgetting you, badminton!

The Speed Skating World Championships are happening in the Netherlands right now (you can watch live here if you want). And in figure skating, we had French Nationals last weekend and there are the Italian domestic competitions.

If Canada chooses to limit sporting events, that's their prerogative of course. But this is by no means the only possible approach, and Wilson is right to point out that it's absolute hypocrisy to hold a hockey international but cancel a national figure skating event.

Colonel Green

If Canada chooses to limit sporting events, that's their prerogative of course. But this is by no means the only possible approach, and Wilson is right to point out that it's absolute hypocrisy to hold a hockey international but cancel a national figure skating event.
It's not hypocritical, because, as I pointed out (and Wilson himself actually concedes without understanding how it affects his point), the hockey international had extremely expensive health measures in place (which is the standard that is generally being applied here for holding sporting events) that Skate Canada could never afford.

Which also gets into how Wilson is ignoring that much of this is the government's call, not the federation's.

skategal

Bunny mama
But this is by no means the only possible approach, and Wilson is right to point out that it's absolute hypocrisy to hold a hockey international but cancel a national figure skating event.
But this is comparing apples to oranges.

The Junior World Championships were scheduled at that venue for years.

The organizers had time to plan and work with Provincial Public Health and the Provincial Government (who were supportive of the event) to bring forward a plan to hold the event safely.

Nationals was scheduled to be held in a
Province that most likely was not going to allow it to happen no matter what.

And there was no opportunity to move the event elsewhere due to CV restrictions and a lack of available arenas.

All health approvals are on a provincial level

You can’t compare what one province will allow with another one as the epidemiology and the risk levels that provinces are comfortable in taking vary.

If Nationals had originally been scheduled to be held in Alberta like the World Junior Hockey was, it may have gone ahead like the World Junior Hockey did.

It would only be a true comparison if the Nationals were supposed to be held in Alberta and Skate Canada cancelled while the World Junior Hockey was able to proceed.

Judy

As for Canada being “better” then the U.S. there is complete recognition from a lot of Canadians about the horror of Trump. Disgusting man.

mjb52

Maybe the "you shouldn't comment on internal Canadian affairs" folks might keep that in mind the next time they start typing about what's going on in Russia and how it holds competitions as many have?

For me, what I would say is that of course Canada has every right to cancel its Nationals but it does say something to the coaches and skaters. Every comment I've ever seen from a figure in Russian skating has not been at all of the ilk of "lol coronavirus whatever" at all but "we can't lose the sport, we can't lose a generation of skaters, we have to find a way to give them the opportunity to compete." They were willing to try and they were willing to sacrifice and they were willing to take risks. And for that they have received a lot of abuse and insults, but to me it is commendable. When I see Lakernik and Moskvina and Mishin at these events, do I get very nervous because I care about them, of course, but they are presumably there because they care about the sport and they care about the skaters and they don't want to let it fade away.

So when Orser in another interview and Wilson are frustrated in their comments, it seems to reflect that they feel like their sport isn't being valued enough for the people in charge to even try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information