Bids for ISU Championships 2022 & 2023 and known provisional allotments

cheremary

GPF at Thunderbird was the coldest I’ve been indoors in my life. It was also pretty cramped and not somewhere I’d recommend for Worlds.
Agreed - I wasn’t that close to the ice but had a full winter coat on and was still cold in that arena. The other drawback was that it was located quite far away from any hotels. The upside was that it had food vendors from the university with much healthier and more interesting options than typical arena food, which I very much welcomed!

All that said, Skate Canada is scheduled to be there next fall, and if we’re in a place where international travel and attending competitions is possible again, I would absolutely go and freeze there just for the privilege of seeing a live competition again!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I want to go back to Vancouver just to stay in the AirBnB where I stayed for the GPF. It was the coziest, loveliest home and I wanted to live there forever!

lexeoe

LOL. My :sekret: is firm. I personally saw a written letter of support from city officials.

But no, not Montreal.

ETA: That's not to say Montreal isn't bidding as well! My insider knowledge doesn't stretch that far!
Surprised it ain't Montreal. Gut tells me its Vancouver

MacMadame

Doing all the things
All that said, Skate Canada is scheduled to be there next fall, and if we’re in a place where international travel and attending competitions is possible again, I would absolutely go and freeze there just for the privilege of seeing a live competition again!
I would definitely go back there for another competition. I had a great time and loved the arena except for the cold. I didn't even mind that I had to take a bus from my AirBnB as the Bed and Breakfast I stayed in had a bus stop right out front!

Japanfan

Several friends have complained about the Thunderbird Arena when they attended both Canadians and the Grand Prix Final. Their biggest concern was crowding on the concourse, not enough bathrooms, and that stairwells were hard to navigate without decent handrails. Disabled access was also a problem as well.

And don't forget the friendly rat who made the stadium her/his own.

Bathroom line-ups are an issue at most skating events for women. I believe many of the men's washrooms were made women's washrooms for one of the events at Thunderbird, and it made a huge difference.

I did find the arena cramped and cold. And I didn't like the long drive to and fro.

GM Place is an awesome place for events, I agree. Better than the PNE.

If Vancouver is bidding for worlds, it wouldn't be identifying Thunderbird for the event, I'm sure. It's too small, and such a trek for the skaters, coaches and officials.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Capacity in London (9100) was considered small, and Thunderbird (7200) is even smaller. Thunderbird is no more or less convenient than where PNE is and is in a much nicer area with much better choices to eat within walking distance, and which is better served by transit, but capacity would be out of the question.

GM Place, being downtown, is, of course, the most covenient, aside from the $$$ to park, and downtown traffic (for locals). But it would have to fit into the Canucks schedule, and Worlds takes place at the end of the regular NHL season.

It would cost a bundle to rent. The only mitigation may be that Vancouver, BC has been popular destination for people.from Japan -- flights, shopping, schools, living there to learn English -- and there would be a chance to sell even more seats than anywhere else in Canada, if popularity revives when people can travel again, schools are back to in person, etc. But the bids are going in now without knowing what the landscape will be in a few years, and GM Place would be risky, if it's even possible.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Capacity in London (9100) was considered small, and Thunderbird (7200) is even smaller. Thunderbird is no more or less convenient than where PNE is and is in a much nicer area with much better choices to eat within walking distance, and which is better served by transit, but capacity would be out of the question.

GM Place, being downtown, is, of course, the most covenient, aside from the $$$ to park, and downtown traffic (for locals). But it would have to fit into the Canucks schedule, and Worlds takes place at the end of the regular NHL season.

It would cost a bundle to rent. The only mitigation may be that Vancouver, BC has been popular destination for people.from Japan -- flights, shopping, schools, living there to learn English -- and there would be a chance to sell even more seats than anywhere else in Canada, if popularity revives when people can travel again, schools are back to in person, etc. But the bids are going in now without knowing what the landscape will be in a few years, and GM Place would be risky, if it's even possible.
Ah, the golden days of skating.

I remember when tickets went on sale for Vancouver Worlds, and the event sold it in about a day. There were even scalpers outside the arena as well.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I remember when tickets went on sale for Vancouver Worlds, and the event sold it in about a day.
That's what I thought, too, back in the pre-internet days, and I made plans to travel to NYC that week. Then a few weeks before Worlds, I saw advertisements on local Seattle TV that said that tickets were available. I don't know if they released new sections or released previously assigned allocations that weren't claimed, but I was distraught, not being able to change my other plans.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I would put my money in Vancouver as a host city. The last Olympics held there was amazing!

Japanfan

The area the PNE is in is fine, it's a quiet residential neighborhood. I agree with you about the restaurauts somewhat, but there really isn't a whole lot of options at UBC either. It's a 20 minute ride to downtown after a PNE comp to access many restaurants - not so after a UBC comp.

I guess the issue is that people taking transit downtown have to go through the DTES. It's not a pleasant place to be sure. I've taken the bus there many times to see movies in the area with a friend. It's largely unpleasant and depressing.

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
I selfishly want Montreal because I feel ripped off for losing my trip there last March. I went to the London Worlds but at that point I was still ashamed of my awkwardness and did not meet any FSUers then. (Or more likely, they had no interest in meeting me :lol:)
Now I am still awkward, but no longer care, so some of you are going to meet me whether you want to or not. I will go to any Worlds, anywhere in Canada, but very much prefer Ontario, Quebec or Maritime locations.

Japanfan

I went to the London Worlds but at that point I was still ashamed of my awkwardness and did not meet any FSUers then. (Or more likely, they had no interest in meeting me :lol:)
Now I am still awkward, but no longer care, so some of you are going to meet me whether you want to or not. I will go to any Worlds, anywhere in Canada, but very much prefer Ontario, Quebec or Maritime locations.

I'm awkward, also. Perhaps we should set up a meet and greet for people who are awkward, with their social skills still evolving. :scream:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The area the PNE is in is fine, it's a quiet residential neighborhood. I agree with you about the restauraunts somewhat, but there really isn't a whole lot of options at UBC either. It's a 20 minute ride to downtown after a PNE comp to access many restaurants - not so after a UBC comp.
I went to at least a dozen restaurants within a 10-minute walk of Thunderbird arena, and I wasn't even trying. That didn't count the restaurants in the campus mall, which was a longer walk or a short bus ride.

There are maybe a half dozen open at night within a ten-minute walk of PNE, after the walk from the arena to Hastings.

My Flamenco class was on Hastings, one block away, and it was a 20-minute bus ride to home (when I lived in Strathcona), which was half way to downtown, and had much lighter traffic than the stretch into downtown. You can get a bus off of the UBC campus to many restaurants on W Broadway in Kitsilano: you don't have to go all the way to the West End, but, depending on the bus, my experience is that it's equidistant.

They won't have all of the extra bus service they had during the Olympics, where people could flash a ticket and ride for free, with no delays while people pay.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I would also selfishly prefer Montreal, because flying across Canada is $$$$$. But I will turn 40 in 2025 (which I DO NOT want to think about!), so maybe I could justify it as a special birthday trip if it ends up being Vancouver?

Montreal 2020 worlds would have been my 35th birthday, but I drank quarantinis at home instead. :fragile:

manhn

I live in Vancouver and I want Montreal to get Worlds. I was supposed to be there last March and I want to go there again. I am still confused why Skate Canada is considering another city, unless Montreal doesn’t want it for some reason.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I really wanted a Montreal Worlds, too. And since it would be years away, travel could be possible and reasonable by then.

But having people from all over come into my city, even if more in heart right now than in physical location, is always such a thrill.

honey

I do wonder if Hanyu being potentially/likely retired by 2024 or 2025 changes things a bit for Canadian bids. I was under the impression that the 2006 worlds in Calgary went so poorly that SC went with a much smaller venue for 2013 that they knew they could fill.

For 2020, they went with a massive NHL venue, but how much of that decision was influenced by Hanyu’s presence and the knowledge that he alone would drive ticket sales? Obviously there are other skaters with large fan bases that will come to see them anywhere in the world, but not many to the degree that Hanyu has.

I also find it weird that Montreal isn’t the automatic choice for the bid, but wondering if some of this kind of thing plays into it. A 20,000 seat venue might not be in the cards now. But I suppose when they won the bid in 2017 there were no guarantees that Hanyu would still be competing in 2020 anyway, so maybe I’m way off base.

skategal

Bunny mama
I live in Vancouver and I want Montreal to get Worlds. I was supposed to be there last March and I want to go there again. I am still confused why Skate Canada is considering another city, unless Montreal doesn’t want it for some reason.
I’m wondering if Les Habs are not willing to give up the stadium again for Worlds considering the last two NHL seasons have been messed up.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Also, the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (OSM) just announced that it's new Music Director for the next five years is the :smokin: Rafael Payare. So another thing in Montreal's favor, even if it's not bidding :(.

quartz

scratching at the light
I liked Montreal because I could take the train and not have the hassle of air travel. Plus Montreal is a really neat city. I’d be even happier if it were Quebec City which is absolutely gorgeous.

Erin

Banned Member
I don’t think I have seen Edmonton mentioned as a possibility yet, but that’s my guess. Although if it’s going to be held in Rogers Place, NHL cooperation would be necessary.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2023
ARM Yerevan January 23-29, 2023
BLR Minsk January 23-29, 2023
BUL Sofia January 23-29, 2023
CZE Ostrava January 23-29, 2023
FIN Helsinki January 23-29, 2023
GER Essen January 16-22, 2023
HUN Budapest January 9-15, 2023
ITA Torino January 23-29, 2023
Tweeted today: https://twitter.com/SkatingFinland/status/1371411173682388995
We are pleased to announce that 2023 European Figure Skating Championships are held in @helsinki at @hartwallarena on January 25th-29th on 2023.
ETA -- the news that Finland was awarded the bid was previously announced by the ISU on October 16, 2020: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-provisional-allotments.107553/#post-5878145

The Finnish federation's March 15th press release today confirms Hartwall Arena as the venue (same as for 2017 Worlds):

Just received an email from USFSA saying tickets for Nashville won't go on sale "anytime soon" and to expect some news in early spring.
Link to the GSD news thread for 2022 U.S. Nationals:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information