From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
but what I really wanted was something sensible by backing up Russian Nationals 3 or 4 weeks allowing many of the skaters to get healthy and fit. I mean many skaters who have been recently ill are going to Siberia where it's probably 40 degrees below zero outside and that's not good for people coming off of pneumonia or C19. I wish them all good luck much success and great health.
Now that Euros has been cancelled, hopefully sensible heads will prevail in the RSFS and they will do just this. There isn't any necessary rush to put the skaters, coaches and officials in any increased danger by holding RusNats at the end of this month. They could easily hold off until the end of January or even the end of February and still have plenty of time to name a team. They could even hold a second Russia Cup series instead to fill the time when there won't be many international competitions or even other countries' own Nats to fill the void.

Scott512

Gubanova was photographed literally next to Dimitri Aliev at Alena's party not even two weeks ago. So I guess nobody there bothered to quarantine?
Which Alena and what party?

I hope Nastya has been tested.
I would think she's negative.
I sure hope the Russian Federation gets their act together with relations to the pandemic.

Scott512

Now that Euros has been cancelled, hopefully sensible heads will prevail in the RSFS and they will do just this. There isn't any necessary rush to put the skaters, coaches and officials in any increased danger by holding RusNats at the end of this month. They could easily hold off until the end of January or even the end of February and still have plenty of time to name a team. They could even hold a second Russia Cup series instead to fill the time when there won't be many international competitions or even other countries' own Nats to fill the void.
I knew they would cancel Europeans and like we've discussed this opens the door to backup Russian Nationals so it's actually taking place.

I'm really disappointed figure skating can't think out of the box and figure out a way by ranking if necessary to do competitions virtually and have judges watching live and scoring it would be better than nothing. If people are ready for no figure skating worlds for 2 or 3 years and no Winter Olympics in 14 months then they're better than I am because I don't want to go without it. figure out some way to do some of these confrontations virtually.

Bigbird

Any word on whether Step/Buk have recovered as yet? If we could only merge the talents of these 2 and S/K we'd have something delicious.

Scott512

Surely Sambo 70 would want more time for Shcherbakova to prepare given that she got very ill?
absolutely and if she gets seriously ill again it might put next season in doubt. And also might make her parents think what the hell are we doing to our daughter? But Anna is certainly tougher than she looks and she wants to compete she's very much like Zhenya.
Speaking about Gubanova, here’s her SP from St Petersburg Championship. LP is today
Thanks.

She has the same SP music as last season but she has a different dress I like this dress much more. It will be interesting they say if she kept the same free skate from last season.

It's still a mystery as to where Nastya was last few months and why she didn't skate in the Russian Cup Series which had lesser skaters than her competing in two events. I guess her absence is just another Russian mystery we can't figure out. ;)

I am also wondering if Anastasia has a new coach for the fourth year in a row. Some people did not see her coach from last season in the kiss and cry. I mean four coaches in four seasons for a skater of nastyas ability would be absolute insanity and probably part of the reason she's inconsistent.

she has a pretty important skate today to see if she can go back to back gold medals at the st. Petersburg cup. Nastya one easily last year over stanislava but this year she's up against Sofia who is much more consistent than Nastya is.
But I'm just glad that Nastya is back and she seems in better shape than last year which will help her down the road get here spinning more under control and get in and out of her moves faster than last season.

Skibean

this is Zhenyas decision about her career and she wants to continue skating so I support her.

if she wants to try another seizing she will be funded by the Russian Federation she has a new home in Moscow things should be looking up in her life not bleak.

for those of you who want her to pack it in and retire because she'll never be what she was 3 and 4 years ago what do you want Zhenya to do with the rest of her life and career?

I say let her skate a couple more seasons and see where she's at and if she can't get back to top five in the world then she can retire on her own terms.
I can’t imagine being Zhenya. She was undefeated for so long and was so close to winning Olympic gold, yet didn’t. I’m sure that was a crushing defeat, and my comments aren’t meant to rehash all of that. But- she reminds me of Michelle Kwan in some ways. Michelle loved the sport and loved competing. She didn’t want to stop trying but her body wouldn’t allow her to continue.
There is no shame in an Olympic silver medal, or being the current Bronze medalist at Worlds. Zhenya has the adoration of many throughout the world. I don’t think she’s done by any means. She seems to be a very determined young lady. She will retire on her own terms, and when she does, I think people will start to respect her accomplishments. I would love to see her pull a Tukt and keep fans in their toes for years to come.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
this is Zhenyas decision about her career and she wants to continue skating so I support her.

if she wants to try another seizing she will be funded by the Russian Federation she has a new home in Moscow things should be looking up in her life not bleak.

for those of you who want her to pack it in and retire because she'll never be what she was 3 and 4 years ago what do you want Zhenya to do with the rest of her life and career?

I say let her skate a couple more seasons and see where she's at and if she can't get back to top five in the world then she can retire on her own terms.
Do with her life? She will do the same thing anyone does keep on carrying on. Skating is something you do and not who you are.

I am still trying to figure out why she left Brian.

Tinami Amori

A lesion on her lung? Poor Zhenya.
It is a translation issue. That word in the original text can be translated as "inflammation" or "lesion" of "soreness"... it all depends on context. I think the original was supposed to mean "infection".

Re: Your concern for Liza flying to "cold siberia" for Nationals after being sick. Liza is just fine now, she is up and running, so to say, taking walks in cold St. Petersburg winter, playing with snow...... :D

Tinami Amori

Any word on whether Step/Buk have recovered as yet? If we could only merge the talents of these 2 and S/K we'd have something delicious.
Stepanova/Bukin are training, working on programmes for Russian Nationals and! on their next year's FS/LP, which their coach for now wants to keep secret.

Tinami Amori

(sorry for multiple posts in a row, but these all are unrelated news).

Russian Fed is very disappointed that Europeans and JW's are cancelled (yet they understand, they are not complaining) but in order to keep their skaters competitive they are considering holding several additional (to the scheduled ones already) competition for the top skaters to stay in shape.

Предвидя возможность такого решения как отмена чемпионата Европы, в ФФККР уже обсуждались запасные варианты проведения альтернативных соревнований, по которым после решения Совета ИСУ началась практическая проработка.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
...Russian Fed is .... considering holding several additional (to the scheduled ones already) competition for the top skaters to stay in shape.

More figure skating events on Russia 1 channel! :cheer2:

Scott512

I can’t imagine being Zhenya. She was undefeated for so long and was so close to winning Olympic gold, yet didn’t. I’m sure that was a crushing defeat, and my comments aren’t meant to rehash all of that. But- she reminds me of Michelle Kwan in some ways. Michelle loved the sport and loved competing. She didn’t want to stop trying but her body wouldn’t allow her to continue.
There is no shame in an Olympic silver medal, or being the current Bronze medalist at Worlds. Zhenya has the adoration of many throughout the world. I don’t think she’s done by any means. She seems to be a very determined young lady. She will retire on her own terms, and when she does, I think people will start to respect her accomplishments. I would love to see her pull a Tukt and keep fans in their toes for years to come.
Zhenya should retire when she wants to. She started off her senior career with an incredible winning streak before she broke her foot in 2018 and she deserves major respect.

I see Zhenya being a part of sambo-70 in the future maybe even running the show when EG packs it in.

Last edited:

mjb52

Definitely seems like Eteri has a strong attachment to Medvedeva; I could see a place for her if she wants it, which is obviously a big if!

Ka3sha

Evgenia Medvedeva announced new collaboration:
I’m SO excited to announce a collaboration with the global interactive entertainment developer and publisher miHoYo. We have been working together on creating a very special Christmas campaign for the @honkaiimpact3rd where I am featuring as the new S-rank Valkyrie Durandal [Dea Anchora].
Honkai Impact 3rd video game is a free-to-play 3D action role-playing mobile game where players control a team of up to three characters, known as Valkyries, in real-time combat against various enemies. I am very excited to feature as the legendary Valkyrie Durandal who is a very strong, brave and inspiring warrior. Stay tuned as we have prepared something truly special for my fans and the fans of the game.

Tinami Amori

I thought she was banned for 10 years for anything to do with figure skating.
I thought she was banned from competing, not "everything" in figure skating. I am sure if invited to skate in a show she will accept.
Also, following the initial information, Maria explained every point of the accusations, the main one was that at the time of testing and future testing attempts she was NOT a competitive skater. On the doctor's office "perjury" she also explained she did not know the legal status of that doctor's office. Since she is not planning to compete or be a member of any active skaters' organization, i guess the case was left as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information