Bids for ISU Championships 2022 & 2023 and known provisional allotments

Erin

Banned Member
How much does it cost to go to Japan from the US normally? Anyone have some ballpark figures?

You mean flights? I think I spent around $1500 round-trip to Tokyo a few years ago, but who knows what flight prices will be doing post-CV19. I don't remember exactly what hotel and food costs were, but they were generally in line with US costs.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Saitama is really close to Tokyo with excellent air and train links, as well as every type of accommodation and restaurants you could want. They host most of the major events there for a reason. I lived two stops away on the train for a year so I can say from experience. No other place in Japan can offer that kind of infrastructure.

LL22

I don’t see why the ISU would ever entertain having any event at the OTC in Colorado. Last time the event was held there the skaters were given oxygen and taken out on stretchers. Lake Placid in Feb sounds freezing cold. However, Vegas... that sounds like everyone will win, lol.

Taipei tends to hold the Olympic year 4CC’s, at least for 2014 and 2018.

it will be interesting to see what happens with all the host countries that have already had to cancel events and potentially future events that will be cancelled. I would think those countries would get another event before any other country that is “due” to host a championship event again. Losing out on a Sydney 4CC is a big loss, that was going to be really cool!

Orm Irian

Glad to hear the ISU (presumably with the backing of ISA) has cancelled Four Continents well in advance so it can’t be turned into a political football, and good of them to give us a replacement slot too. Will Montreal get one for their cancelled Worlds?

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Glad to hear the ISU (presumably with the backing of ISA) has cancelled Four Continents well in advance so it can’t be turned into a political football, and good of them to give us a replacement slot too. Will Montreal get one for their cancelled Worlds?
Only if you consider a 2023 Junior Worlds in Calgary a replacement :cautious:

mjb52

At the rate things are going 2023 Junior Worlds in ladies could have skaters with five quads each so... :)

doubleturn

Rinkside on my iPhone
How much does it cost to go to Japan from the US normally? Anyone have some ballpark figures?
About US $1100 on Japan Airlines from Boston or 70,000 frequent flyer miles. I’m about 1,500 miles short but should be able to earn them in 2 years 😷

lexeoe

Saitama is really close to Tokyo with excellent air and train links, as well as every type of accommodation and restaurants you could want. They host most of the major events there for a reason. I lived two stops away on the train for a year so I can say from experience. No other place in Japan can offer that kind of infrastructure.
I remember in the previous years Saitama hosted, the competitors were housed in Tokyo at the Keio Plaza Hotel. So I guess that will be the hotel once again.

morgan rye

Is there a reason Montreal wasn’t automatically awarded Worlds in 2023? Did they not want it? Was the bidding process done before worlds got cancelled?
this is off topic but does anyone have any info about tickets for nashville nationals 2022. i can't seem to start a thread.

Sylvia

TBD
this is off topic but does anyone have any info about tickets for nashville nationals 2022.
I just checked around online and ticket information has yet to be made public... I'm sure a new thread in GSD will be started as soon as that information is released. Scheduled dates in Nashville are January 2-8, 2022.

skategal

Bunny mama
My gut is saying Calgary.

I have no insider info, just a total guess.

It’s been awhile since Worlds has been in Alberta.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I'm pretty sure the location within a country is determined by the host Fed, not the ISU. The Fed solicits bids inside their country, selects which one they want to recommend, and then submits the proposal to the ISU. But at that point, the location is already determined.

Debbie S

Word was that the U.S. was going to host Worlds in 2024 (rumor was Vegas) so I guess we'll wait and see.

I hope Montreal gets another chance to host, if they want to.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The World Championships in Vancouver were amazing. So much atmosphere in packed GM Place at the height of the sport's international interest, too.
GM Place, which is located conveniently off of a SkyTrain stop in Vancouver's West End and near scores of hotels and restaurants, has not been in the running for any recent events. PNE was where the Olympics were held, and that is a longish bus ride out, and GPF and Nationals have been held or scheduled at the smaller Thunderbird arena on the UBC campus, which is also a schlep.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

GM Place, which is located conveniently off of a SkyTrain stop in Vancouver's West End and near scores of hotels and restaurants, has not been in the running for any recent events. PNE was where the Olympics were held, and that is a longish bus ride out, and GPF and Nationals have been held or scheduled at the smaller Thunderbird arena on the UBC campus, which is also a schlep.
I attended Four Continents in 2009 at PNE, and it was really tired and shabby, and located close to an unsafe district as well. I heard that it had a bit of a repaint prior to the Vancouver Olympics, which is good.

Several friends have complained about the Thunderbird Arena when they attended both Canadians and the Grand Prix Final. Their biggest concern was crowding on the concourse, not enough bathrooms, and that stairwells were hard to navigate without decent handrails. Disabled access was also a problem as well.

The Saddledome in Calgary was excellent. Although I wasn't thrilled when I was sold a seat next to a gigantic dividing curtain I had to fight from obstructing my view. Fortunately, a couple I meet early in the week let me sit with them.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Several friends have complained about the Thunderbird Arena when they attended both Canadians and the Grand Prix Final. Their biggest concern was crowding on the concourse, not enough bathrooms, and that stairwells were hard to navigate without decent handrails. Disabled access was also a problem as well.
My only complaint was that it was freaking cold. I thought the concourse was fine and so were the bathrooms. I have no experience with disabled access so will defer to others on that one.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My only complaint was that it was freaking cold. I thought the concourse was fine and so were the bathrooms. I have no experience with disabled access so will defer to others on that one.
GPF at Thunderbird was the coldest I’ve been indoors in my life. It was also pretty cramped and not somewhere I’d recommend for Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information