Roller Skating for Ice Skaters

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Have any of FSU's ice skaters ventured into roller skating?

I recently got a pair of PicSkate inline frames and slapped them on some old boots. IMO, the overall sense of glide feels very comparable to skating. Very lucky that I have access to an outdoor roller hockey surface, so I think that helped a lot. Still not 100% comfortable enough to spin and jump on them yet, but very fun and nice to feel a small sense of "normalcy" during these dark times.

Definitely something I want to keep up doing once I'm back on the ice, especially during the warmer months.

Theoreticalgirl

I haven't tried but they look super fun! Do turns feel the same/similar?

Mohawks are easier than a 3 turn for me right now. As you can imagine, there's a lot of resistance which makes it a bit more challenging. I'm sure the surface also plays some role in this, but overall, not having an "edge" takes some adjustment time.

Petraskater

I skated 13 years on ice. Because of C... the ice rinks closed in March. Usually I can skate until June. I didn't want to be without sakting for such along time. I always wanted to habe the inlineartistic roller skates but they were to expensive...but finally I deceided to buy them. (snow white)

I was surprised I can't do anything on them. I could not tranfer my iceskating skills on roller skates at first. I was practicing about 20 hours to finaly get crossover and to feel secure on them. After 6 month I still can't do a 3turn right, it is harder then ice!! On ice I could do 3 turns very soon. I realise I need lessons with a coach, I hope soon I can do it.

I also have now quad roller skates now too, I did not try them yet.

My question to you: How long did it take you to be able to tranfer you ice skills on rollerskates?

Theoreticalgirl

@Petraskater I have Picskate inline frames and I feel like the learning curve has been shallow. I've tried jumping/turning/spinning, but I don't love how different it feels from doing it on the ice, so I gave up on that quickly.

I can do crossovers in both directions, as well as mohawks and choctaws, which is good enough for me. With the increased weight of the boot and blade along with the surface resistance, I'm using it as an opportunity to improve basic stroking skills and rebuild my stamina.

Compared to skating, there's just so many variables involved: surface quality, what kind of wheels you have, etc. Not to say that skating's easier in this regard, but really, slap some metal on a boot and you're mostly set.

I'm lucky to live near a school playground that is mostly unused right now, so that's my main spot. Unfortunately it is on the slightest incline, which makes skating one way easier than the other. Our city has a couple of outdoor roller hockey rinks, but they vary in quality and Sport Court feels like wading through mud. Still searching for that Goldilocks spot.

I'll take what I can get though, I just miss gliding around for the moment, and this is a good replacement for not being in a rink right now. Just make sure to wear protective gear, my palms learned the hard way a couple weeks back.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I'm lucky to live near a school playground that is mostly unused right now, so that's my main spot. Unfortunately it is on the slightest incline, which makes skating one way easier than the other. Our city has a couple of outdoor roller hockey rinks, but they vary in quality and Sport Court feels like wading through mud. Still searching for that Goldilocks spot.

I'll take what I can get though, I just miss gliding around for the moment, and this is a good replacement for not being in a rink right now. Just make sure to wear protective gear, my palms learned the hard way a couple weeks back.

When I was little I had a pair of those strap on metal roller skates, which I shared with my brother and sister. First of all, they're terrible. But what I did learn from using them was that the best places to roller skate are paved, "painted" tennis courts - the ones done in color (often green) or etc. You could try that, if you have any available near you. The second best was newly redone parking lots.

Theoreticalgirl

When I was little I had a pair of those strap on metal roller skates, which I shared with my brother and sister. First of all, they're terrible. But what I did learn from using them was that the best places to roller skate are paved, "painted" tennis courts - the ones done in color (often green) or etc. You could try that, if you have any available near you. The second best was newly redone parking lots.

There is a tennis court nearby, but with fall tennis in full swing, it's always busy. Also, as someone who plays tennis, I don't want to be a jerk and ruin a publicly-owned tennis court with skate marks when the city's ability to maintain the court surface is limited in this particular moment.

I'm trying to stick to my neighborhood/what's available within walking distance. I can always hop in the car to other spots, if needed, but would rather have as little travel/effort involved.

Last edited:

myhoneyhoney

I scored STD Starlight inline frames and Edea Overtures. My skate shop will mount the frames this weekend. I can't wait to try them out. I did buy some knee/elbow/wrist pads to wear. I should get a helmet too.

That said, my ice boots are Jackson Elles that need to be replaced soon and I'm liking how these Edeas feel. I may need to switch! That puts me in the world of buying separate blades.... eeek!

Susan1

We used to go roller skating when I was a kid. Just around and around forward, simple crossovers. Then I started ice skating. Backwards, turns, jumps. Wow. Our adult skating club had rollerblading outings every year. We practiced trying to go backward and turning. Not so good. Years later I went to a kid's birthday party at a roller rink and it was terrible. My ice skates were 2 sizes smaller than my shoe size, but the roller skates were gigantic. And so heavy. And I wanted to skate backwards so bad. Couldn't do it. I guess you have to be generally coordinated and have good balance to switch types of skating. It's so neat to see people do tricks on roller skates. My skating friend's son played ice and rollerblade hockey.

antmanb

I got some inline skates a couple of years ago - the ones with the rockered wheels. The boots are Graf which are a little too narrow for my feet but I found most of the skills were transferable pretty much straight away (and i'm not that great on the ice :lol: )

Cross overs I managed in the first session, mohawks as well. Three turns took a few more sessions to get and didn't feel as comfortable. I managed to do waltz, salchow and toe-loop fairly quickly (but with mohawk entrances into the jumps rather than three turns). I was pleasantly surprised to be able to do an upright spins but the entrance felt "dangerous" the step from RBI edge to LFO edge felt like I might fall trying to do it.

I was skating in an empty studio at the gym so the floor was very smooth and clear. I don't think i'd have been as brave on a rougher surface.

myhoneyhoney

I bought Moxi quad skates and it's so much fun! Also the current roller skating scene is my area is amazing, lots of planned out door socially distanced and masked get togethers, some even with DJs playing music.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
She's posting a video every day if you want to check out her skates:

dds262

And your point is....
I bought Moxi quad skates and it's so much fun! Also the current roller skating scene is my area is amazing, lots of planned out door socially distanced and masked get togethers, some even with DJs playing music.
I use my Moxi Jacks outside on trails for distance, and my Edeas indoors for artistic stuff. I tried Moxi lolly and they were like socks with wheels!

S

SmallFairy

I have Picskate frames on Edea boots. I find rollerskating very different from ice, because they don’t glide, they stop when turning (bad explanation but that’s how it feels) and they don’t grip into the surface like skate blades. You always feel like you are on top of something.

The similarities is that you can practice weight transfer, edges and lots of choreo and moves that feels similar. And it’s great fun.

Last spring during the first lockdown I did steps, jumps and spins, and the jumps especially totally ruined my on ice technique when rinks opened again. My loop was totally gone, I had to relearn it.

Now I’m back on roller skates, new lockdown, but I will not jump or spin, only do moves, simple steps and choreo. I won’t do anything that feels different from the ice. But it’s still so much fun. I put in my earplugs and just skate freely in the sun. I enjoy it so much.

One more thing-my first Picskate frames only had three wheels. They were shorter than my ice skates and I didn’t get enough support on the back of the skate. I felt I would constantly fall backwards on my head. Terrifying. I now changed to four wheel frames and it’s totally different. My balance point is the same as on ice skates and I relax all the time. Of course, this is only my experience, but it’s worth considering when buying skates.

I have an outdoor hockey rink where I live, with great surface for inline skating in summer. Also many schools have areas with good roller skating surfaces.

livetoskate

I bought inline skates last spring but only used them once. It's hard to find a smooth surface around my area that's safe to skate on, and it was so different from skating. Luckily I was able to get vaccinated & can't wait to ice skate again next week. A new two-rink facility opened up in Morrisville, NC. Masks are required & people have to book sessions online in advance, so it seems very safe.

dds262

And your point is....
I bought inline skates last spring but only used them once. It's hard to find a smooth surface around my area that's safe to skate on, and it was so different from skating. Luckily I was able to get vaccinated & can't wait to ice skate again next week. A new two-rink facility opened up in Morrisville, NC. Masks are required & people have to book sessions online in advance, so it seems very safe.
Be careful! I am in SC. I was fully vaccinated by mid January.....got COVID last week....the ONLY place I went was the skating rink ( roller)....

livetoskate

Be careful! I am in SC. I was fully vaccinated by mid January.....got ********* last week....the ONLY place I went was the skating rink ( roller)....
Wow.... sorry to hear that. You're right, there's always that small chance of catching a variant or catching it and spreading it to non-vaccinated people. Meanwhile, I've seen older adult skaters on FB who have been posting since last year about all their trips to the skating rink, even though there were times people said only about half the skaters wore masks while skating. I hope you get well soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information