Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
How is your thyroid? Hair loss, especially your eyebrows, is an early symptom of hypo thyroid.
I have hypothyroidism, and I never had problems with my eyebrows.
Given that my hair still seems to be jumping from my head, despite the fact that my thyroid hormones are now under control, my dermnow has me on minoxidil.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I guess this is the right place to share COVID-19 related beauty stuff.

My SIL works for a visiting nurses association. They’re sharing a few tips that may become mandates for health care workers.
  • Use regular shampoo. It’s uncertain how effective some of the shampoo alternatives are at breaking a virus’ fat layer.
  • Consider eliminating use of dry shampoo, hairspray, or anything else that creates a sticky coating on hair.
  • Go with super short nails for now. Her org requires that you not be able to see the nail from the palm side.
  • When in doubt, use fat or oil based products only on clean skin. Do not apply any moisturizer or cream after coming in contact with others unless you wash first
  • Old school products are best for now. Look closely at newer face and body products that eliminate certain ingredients in order to protect your skin as they may not break the virus fat coating.

That’s all I’ve got. Anything else missing from the list?

floridaice

I have hypothyroidism, and I never had problems with my eyebrows.
Given that my hair still seems to be jumping from my head, despite the fact that my thyroid hormones are now under control, my dermnow has me on minoxidil.

Mine are not that thick to begin with, but they really thinned out before I got diagnosed and started taking meds, especially on the ends. Once I got everything stable, they grew back. Hair on my head had not thinned too much and it came back too.

Aceon6

Since my last post, I’ve realized how much I’ve let my skincare routine slip. I’m determined to get back on the wagon, starting with a few days of Dr Gross.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m wearing makeup most days too.

I didn’t the first couple of weeks but my skin hated me for it and got really itchy and dry.

Must be some protective oils in the makeup or cleansing balm I use to remove it that my skin enjoys.

I am having fun wearing some of my eyeshadow palettes that I don’t normally use on a regular basis.:cheer2:

clairecloutier

I'm still putting on my usual makeup (which is not much, but something) and also I'm still wearing jeans during the day (not sweats). Just makes me feel more awake!

In a couple weeks, I'll need to color my own hair for the first time--I've always had it done at a salon, but with salons closed indefinitely here, it'll be up to me. First time home-processing my hair since I tried doing a perm back in the early 80s!! :yikes: Anyone have advice on which brands to try for single-process color?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm still putting on my usual makeup (which is not much, but something) and also I'm still wearing jeans during the day (not sweats). Just makes me feel more awake!

In a couple weeks, I'll need to color my own hair for the first time--I've always had it done at a salon, but with salons closed indefinitely here, it'll be up to me. First time home-processing my hair since I tried doing a perm back in the early 80s!! :yikes: Anyone have advice on which brands to try for single-process color?

Make sure you go for semi-permanent not permanent. Much less damage. Clairol Natural Instinct or LOreal Féria.

skategal

Bunny mama

I swear by the L’Oreal Preference brand.

I’ve used a few different brands and I find that one the easiest to use and gives the best colour results (really nice richness to my hair.)

I like it even better than when I was using the same stuff the professionals use from Sally’s Beauty.

oleada

I bought some at home wax strips because I gave birth literally the day I was going to get my upper lip and eyebrows done...and had an allergic reaction to them. :fragile: I’ll resign myself to being hairy during the pandemic.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
I bought some at home wax strips because I gave birth literally the day I was going to get my upper lip and eyebrows done...and had an allergic reaction to them. :fragile: I’ll resign myself to being hairy during the *********.
Oh, this is a b!tch. I always seem to forget that those facial wax strips and I are NOT the best of friends and always end up with something whenever I give it a try. Last time, a bit of my skin came off with the strip and I ended up with a bona fide wound on my upper lip. The hair didn’t come off :wall:.
I’ll get foliculitis even with tweezers, but they are the better home option for me (at least the hair is quite thin and of a lighter color).

skategal

Bunny mama
You can buy eyebrow shapers on Amazon which are like little bitty razors to clean up in under and between your brows.

They work great on upper lip hair too.

I also found some at Walgreens once when I was in the USA.

quartz

scratching at the light
My daughter has posted a pic of herself in her blue scrubs and blue mask and has, in the best glamour puss fashion, co-ordinated her eyeshadow as well. I will say that her blue eyeshadow version is way better than the 60’s version of blue eyeshadow. :D

Finnice

My daughter has posted a pic of herself in her blue scrubs and blue mask and has, in the best glamour puss fashion, co-ordinated her eyeshadow as well. I will say that her blue eyeshadow version is way better than the 60’s version of blue eyeshadow. :D
That is so cool in these circumstances.
I will have an online meeting with Die Toten Hosen Club tomorrow. I will surely put on my best punk rock make-up. Black eyeshadow and everything. It will be fun.

(For the ignorant souls, Die Toten Hosen is a German punk band, founded in 1982.)

Peaches LaTour

Call me crazy but I'm still putting on makeup every day, even though no one but my husband and my cat will see me. I need to maintain some sense of humanity through this.

Haha! I put on blush & eyebrow pencil everyday, regardless. I have stopped wearing mascara or lipstick during the crisis. I wear a mask outdoors so why waste lipstick & the mascara, well, right now I am too lazy to bother with.

However, I have started wearing my perfumes again just to make myself feel more normal. Even wear it to bed while I fantasize about my boy toy fav actor. Been wearing my pearls around the house, too, with my scumbum tops. Just to feel good.

As for sunscreen, I love Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair, SPF 30 or No7 Protect & Perfect intense Day Cream SPF 30.

I have noticed 5 women on my soaps, lately, that have all had face jobs. They look "normal" but at least ten years younger. I would kill to know who they went to. 😁

Peaches LaTour

I keep my hair in a short pixie cut which needs to be trimmed every six weeks.

It is now 7 weeks since my last trim &, of course, the salon is closed. Completely understandable.

I am considering buying some barber clippers & trimming it myself. 😲

Has anybody else tried this? My hair drives me crazy unless it is super short & I simply don't have the patience to try to style it.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
I keep my hair in a short pixie cut which needs to be trimmed every six weeks.

It is now 7 weeks since my last trim &, of course, the salon is closed. Completely understandable.

I am considering buying some barber clippers & trimming it myself. 😲

Has anybody else tried this? My hair drives me crazy unless it is super short & I simply don't have the patience to try to style it.
I follow my hairstylist on Instagram and she’ll go on a regular basis to her stories to say “if you feel like doing something, don’t!” (she knows her clientele) :lol: Fixing the damage, whether it’s an unfortunate self cut or color in a box gone wrong, will cost more.
I love a DIY hair job, have done my own coloring for ages and I now agree with her. The color doesn’t look half as good and my hair ends up super fried.

Maybe some fixing cream and hair clips can get you through it?

Peaches LaTour

I follow my hairstylist on Instagram and she’ll go on a regular basis to her stories to say “if you feel like doing something, don’t!” (she knows her clientele) :lol: Fixing the damage, whether it’s an unfortunate self cut or color in a box gone wrong, will cost more.
I love a DIY hair job, have done my own coloring for ages and I now agree with her. The color doesn’t look half as good and my hair ends up super fried.

Maybe some fixing cream and hair clips can get you through it?

No. I don"t own any type of styling products nor would I know how to use them. No curling irons, flat irons, gel, bobby pins. Zip.

Aceon6

I went full on tiffed for my Zoom today. As I was cleansing my face, I remembered a tip that I wanted to pass along to anyone doing temporary color. Don’t get facial soap or cleanser into your hairline. If you stray often enough, it will lighten your color prematurely in a very obvious way. Don’t ask me how long it took for me to figure this out.

skategal

Bunny mama
I just made a Sephora order for refills on skincare.

I normally purchase from Shoppers Drug Marr downtown as they always have the Clinique Cleansing Balm and the others often don’t. Also I had intended to try a Neostrata moisturizer this time.

But seeing as we are under stay at home instructions, I ordered from Sephora instead.

I also picked up my favourite Drunk Elephant Retro Whipped Lala moisturizer. Yippee!

I was trying to dupe this by using the Olay total effects whipped moisturizer which is also a good one but not quite the same and not nearly as moisturizing for my skin.

It worked out fine (and I’m almost finished) but it would have been better if I tried it is summer when my skin is not quite so dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information