Opera Suggestions, II

emason

The production was the problem for me in the house; didn’t like the set and most of the costumes and having to look at them for hours was a chore. I expect that all the closeups in the HD airing probably went a long way to alleviate that.

My other issue the night I went was that Kate Lindsey was so on, so high energy, so over the top, that the rest of the cast just didn’t measure up. It was like Lindsey wandered in from a different production with a different director; in the era of Trumpian excess I wanted everyone to be as out there as possible. Only Lindsey achieved that.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There are going to be a bunch of taped live operas being streamed. So far, I've seen:

Met Opera: March 16-22, each night a different opera from their Live in HD series starting at 7:30pm EDT, and then available for 20 hours on demand:

It says this is a schedule for the first week of streams, so more sound in the works. The selection for next Sunday, March 22, is the Eugene Onegin with Hvorostovsky.

The Saturday broadcasts are being replaced by a recorded version of the same opera. This week it's Dutchman from this past Tuesday, with the same cast scheduled for today's live broadcast/Live in HD. Next Saturday (3/21) is the La Cenerentola with JDD and JDF from 2014. On 3/28, they'll air Werther, also from 2014, with Koch and Kauffman. (They had two Saturday matinee Werthers in a row, so 4/2 was always a taped 2019 performance of Orfeo ed Euridice.)

Vienna State Opera: I'm not sure if I completely understand what they're doing, but if you go to their ticketing site, you can "purchase" a number of streams for 0,00 Euros, and they are supposed to be showing a taped performance of that opera where they have them. (They are closed until April 3.) You need to set up an account with username/password; they didn't ask for any other info. Be careful, because there are some options that are still paid.

(Scroll to Wiener Staatsoper)

I had a paid account, and I couldn't get the site to work using that login. I created a new account, and I couldn't see an option to keep adding to the cart, so I placed separate orders for each stream.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Tomorrow, Sunday March 15, 3pm, EDT:

Joyce DiDonato sent a long email today about performing excerpts from Werther with Piotr Beczala, accompanied by pianist Howard Watkins and cellist Emmanuel Ceysson from her Facebook and Instagram channels. Here is the end of the email:

Wishing to contribute to your well being, thanking you for all your support over the years, and shining a light on our shared journey ahead, please join me and my ADORED colleagues, Piotr Beczala (tenor!), Howard Watkins (piano), and Emmanuel Ceysson (harp) as we croon excerpts from Werther from my humble abode in NYC. We were scheduled to open on Monday evening, but as it was necessary to cancel the production, we wanted to find a small way to still share our love for this piece with you.

You can watch the live stream on my Instagram channel or on my Facebook page.

This is a period of immense challenge and trial in our collective lives, but as most of you surely know, when we walk through the fire, we are ALWAYS stronger on the other side. I also sense that the world will undoubtedly look drastically different when this passes (and it will). Please don’t forget that you are an active PARTICIPANT in what it look like as we emerge from the rubble. Let’s actively and fearlessly build the world we wish to live in going forward. In fact, the building starts now.

I am with you, and I thank you for being with me.

~ Joyce​

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So, we ended up taking down the Met website's servers. I could only get a "Service not available" message.

They've since posted:

The Met’s series of free opera streams begins with Bizet’s Carmen, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin and starring Elīna Garanča and Robert Alagna. Due to unprecedented demand and web traffic, we recommend you access the stream through the Met Opera on Demand apps for Apple, Amazon, and Roku devices and Samsung Smart TV. This performance will remain available until 3:30 p.m. EDT Tuesday, March 17.

SaSherka

The Met servers are still down. Took me 4 hours to get the main page to open yesterday, so I paused Carmen only to realize this morning that there are no subtitles 🤦🏻‍♀️

Vienna streams worked like magic! I already had a www.Staatsoperlive.com login, so all I had to do was navigate to the page and click on any of the current Free streams (Dad Rheingold on Sunday, Falstaff yesterday and Tri Sestry today, which I plan on watching tonight).

Problem is, I still have a full time job (currently from home) :) so while all these options are tempting, I am choosing to do some housework instead in my free time.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I was able to watch the Met Carmen last night starting around 9am without issues. But demand definitely took the Met down. The Falstaff from Vienna streamed like a charm, and it was a terrific performance.

ETA: Staatsoper unter den Linden is streaming daily from their site starting at noon CET. (Germany moves to Daylight Savings Time on March 29.

The schedule is here:

And the casting is amazing on many.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I actually determined to stay away from the Met live stream because I figured that would happen.

I'd like to go ahead and pay for the Met on Demand, I wonder if there are going to be problems with that?

ETA: I did watch the JDD live and loved that!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I actually determined to stay away from the Met live stream because I figured that would happen.

I'd like to go ahead and pay for the Met on Demand, I wonder if there are going to be problems with that?

ETA: I did watch the JDD live and loved that!

If you download the Met on Demand app to your phone or other device, you can access the selected operas for free. I heard some people say they had trouble even with that, but I didn't.

emason

I had no trouble getting into the Met site around 12:30PM Eastern time earlier today; I watched about 1/2 hour of Carmen and then decided I'd had enough. I just wasn't in the mood. If you are home during the day, try watching then instead of at night. (I was watching on my MacBook Air.)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'll give it a try at some point.

Don't have a smart phone, my only device is desk top.

emason

I'm sitting at my desktop Mac right now and I just got in with no problem. Carmen is still up even though I think it originally was only supposed to be up until 3PM or something like that. Give it a try.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I am loving Johan Botha in Die Meistersinger. But I could never make it through it all at once!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The Met has a schedule for this coming week after Wagner week:

The free streams from Vienna are pretty incredible, and you just need to give them a name and email address to get access:

For Wagner lovers, there are still a few minutes left to start a stellar Die Gotterdammerung with Theorin, Gould, and Struckmann singing a bone-chilling Hagen.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Opera Liege has made videos, part of a tv platform, available from their website. Last night I listened to a remarkable performance by Olga Peretyatko as Anna Bolena.

operaliege.be/spectacle/loperachezsoi

LA Opera, which has started to air mini performances from quarantine, also announced that they would be making operas from their vault available again, starting on Monday with Carmen at 5pm PDT/8pm EDT:

Jovanovich :grope:

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

The free streams from Vienna are pretty incredible, and you just need to give them a name and email address to get access:

For Wagner lovers, there are still a few minutes left to start a stellar Die Gotterdammerung with Theorin, Gould, and Struckmann singing a bone-chilling Hagen.

Thanks! I'm liking this much better than the Met's production, and it's great to have another opportunity to hear Theorin as Brunnhilde.

canbelto

This upcoming week in Met streams is pretty good, but maybe not as good as Tiger King?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I love Dialogues, both the opera and this particular production. The Live in HD absolutely blew me away.

In other news, Wolf Trap Opera is scheduled to do my favorite, Eugene Onegin, in late June. I wonder if there's any chance they'll be able to go ahead. Even if, please God, a lot of things are back to normal by then, they might not have enough time for set-building and rehearsal and so forth.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I love Dialogues, both the opera and this particular production. The Live in HD absolutely blew me away.

Me too!

Also looking forward to Pearl Fishers.

I'd guess June is going to be tough. :(

Washington Concert Opera postponed their April 5 Simon Boccannegra to October.

alexikeguchi

I really regretted missing it in the theater, so I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity. That truly was stupendous and mind-blowing; what amazing vocal performances and acting as well. I was impressed when I saw Karita Mattila live in another role, but she outdid herself here.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Just a few more hours (until 6:30pm EDT, Fri Apr 17) to see the Met Live in HD of Le Comte Ory streamed for free on the Met Opera website:

JDD, JDF, and Diana Damrau in bed together at the end: who can resist!

Plus Ragone has a great social distancing hat.

emason

@kwanfan1818 I just spent the afternoon wallowing in this. I saw it at the Met originally and loved it, BUT the only thing I could remember about it was the bed scene. It's just as wonderful as I remembered. The night I went the three of them brought the house down with that scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information