alilou's Adventures in Wonderland 2 - all over the map

kedrin

Just wanted to chime in t say I really enjoy your blog, as a fellow lover of travel. Your photos and descriptions are excellent- they take me back to places I've been- to to places I will get to some day!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Just wanted to chime in t say I really enjoy your blog, as a fellow lover of travel. Your photos and descriptions are excellent- they take me back to places I've been- to to places I will get to some day!
Thank you so much @kedrin. Thank you for the feed back! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. It's a labour of love for me, and part of that is in sharing it.
I hope you get to those places on your wish list!

kedrin

Good luck with the luggage. I got caught up in a similar situation at JFK a couple of years ago- thousands of bags left at JFK after a water leak flooded the terminal. It took a week, but the bag and I were reunited.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I hope your luggage shows up. I've been thinking about you all week.
Thanks @kwanfan1818. I hope it shows up to. What I miss most is my really comfy Sketchers slip-on shoes :( and they'll be the hardest thing to replace. In a couple of days we're going to the main market in town to get basics (socks, underwear, t-shirts, sweats etc) but I've lost so much stuff - all the little practical bits and pieces I travel with - a sewing kit, a clothes line and pegs, a good kitchen knife, a bottle of mosquito repellent, hand sanitizer, toiletries, duct tape, tums, etc etc, and clothes that I love of course, but none of it matters except the shoes. Oh well. It still may turn up, especially since we're here for 4 weeks. Surely that will be enough time for Air Canada to get it to me. What a mess! :wall:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Good luck with the luggage. I got caught up in a similar situation at JFK a couple of years ago- thousands of bags left at JFK after a water leak flooded the terminal. It took a week, but the bag and I were reunited.
Thanks @kedrin. That is such good news about your bag getting to you from JFK after that leak. It gives me hope!

ETA: Five days and three hours after our plane landed in Delhi my case was delivered to our hotel. :cheer2:

Last edited:

kedrin

I loved the hotel I stayed in in Kuala Lumpur. If/when I get back there, I would totally stay there again. Like you said in your post, the backpack / hostel days seem to be far behind me. I credit this hotel for the change.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I loved the hotel I stayed in in Kuala Lumpur. If/when I get back there, I would totally stay there again. Like you said in your post, the backpack / hostel days seem to be far behind me. I credit this hotel for the change.
We usually stay in reasonable places. We do look at hostels because sometimes you can get good rooms with en suite, but mostly 3 star hotels. The one here that we rejected would be lucky to be 2 star. It really was awful. Then we went to Red Hotel and it was just lovely. Poor service - probably because of the shutdown - most staff was probably sent home. But apart from that it was fabulous. Which hotel did you stay at?

kedrin

Which hotel did you stay at?
Hotel Maya. It was a great rate- and my friend booked it as a surprise. I usually stay at three star hotels, too, but don't mind the exception. I went to Siberia last summer and did a guesthouse that was probably the favorite place I stayed the whole trip. The family had put up a bunch of rustic cabins in their backyard- communal dinners. Brought back memories of the best of hostel life.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Hotel Maya. It was a great rate- and my friend booked it as a surprise. I usually stay at three star hotels, too, but don't mind the exception. I went to Siberia last summer and did a guesthouse that was probably the favorite place I stayed the whole trip. The family had put up a bunch of rustic cabins in their backyard- communal dinners. Brought back memories of the best of hostel life.
Oh that sounds like so much fun. I do love the hostels and guest houses for the social life and connecting with other travellers. Don and I can fall into a bit of a habit of isolating ourselves too much. Which these days is a good thing :lol:
Hope your flights go smoothly, @alilou.
Thanks @kalamalka. First leg done. We're at Narita just waiting for the final leg to Vancouver.

kalamalka

So glad you made it. Welcome to the ranks of the self-isolating.
I have 6 days to go (after my return from Tallinn a few days after junior worlds).

kalamalka

Thank you @kalamalka and @kedrin
@kalamalka how's it going so far? There's a 4-5km forest trail nearby. I figure hiking that every day will keep me sane.
It's not too bad. The worst aspect for me is that, after having been away for 10 days, I have had to leave my brother with sole responsibility for our mom (who he lives with) for 2 more weeks, so I'm feeling pretty guilty. Otherwise, reading a lot and tackling a few things around the house that I no longer have any excuse to avoid. And using up some of the things that have been in my pantry or freezer for too long.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Welcome back!!

You might be able to watch this replay from 2018: http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1713793091567/
Thanks so much @victorskid. I began watching it last night - until I started seeing double and almost literally fell asleep from the sheer fatigue of 20+ hrs of travel and jet lag. It's on for tonight tho!
It's not too bad. The worst aspect for me is that, after having been away for 10 days, I have had to leave my brother with sole responsibility for our mom (who he lives with) for 2 more weeks, so I'm feeling pretty guilty. Otherwise, reading a lot and tackling a few things around the house that I no longer have any excuse to avoid. And using up some of the things that have been in my pantry or freezer for too long.
Good to hear it's not too bad. I hope all goes well for your brother and mom. I think you'd feel more guilty if you shared the responsibility and she got sick. Not worth the risk. I think we too will be experimenting with mystery things in the pantry :lol: and I have so much to do that I'm not too worried about having to be isolated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information