ISU Cancels 2020 World Figure Skating Championships

Judy

I know that. My point was @misskarne was assuming no one considered holding Worlds without an audience and I was merely pointing out that it may actually have been a consideration. No one here knows which conversations were held.

I doubt it was even an option. To be honest I’m thinking likely a lot of skaters/judges/coaches etc aren’t relieved. Very disappointed of course along with the rest of us. I especially feel bad for the people on here attempting to cancel accommodations/flights etc.it sucks.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
If a US permanent resident can get a flight in to Pearson, they can just drive to Detroit to continue their trip. It might be out of the way for some, but it’s doable.

Yes I’m sure people will do that.

I know space from Europe to Canada on Canadian airlines was tight to start with because the MAX 8s weren’t flying so this ban from Trump won’t help.

ostile17

I know that it's completely natural to be cynical towards mass media these days, but no, this time it really is not 'paranoia and hysteria'. About 10 days ago Milan was like 'Milan carries on' and now their whole country is in lockdown and I don't even want to start on how my own country has handled this outbreak (I'm Chinese).

Please, please take this seriously.

The number of people infected with the virus in Italy raised by about 2000 in ONE day! This is with a lockdown of the country, and everywhere else is at least two weeks behind

MacMadame

Doing all the things
You don't skate do you?
Even if they did skate, everyone is different. We've all seen when a skater comes out after the previous skater brought the house down and some skaters end up skating worse than normal due to all the energy and others skate better than normal due to that same energy.

Also, the energy of the crowd impacts all sports. Athletes from other sports have said so many times.

Judy

Yes I’m sure people will do that.

I know space from Europe to Canada on Canadian airlines was tight to start with because the MAX 8s weren’t flying so this ban from Trump won’t help.

Trump was right to ban Europe (can’t believe I said that). I haven’t looked at all the European countries but people are probably fleeing to them.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
For those wondering about ticket purchase refunds: https://skatecanada.ca/2020/03/isu-world-figure-skating-championships-2020-ticket-refunds/

ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020: Ticket Refunds

Due to the cancellation of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships® 2020, scheduled from March 16-22 in Montreal at Centre Bell, Skate Canada is working closely with our ticketing partner evenko to ensure all ticket purchasers are refunded as quickly as possible.
evenko will be reaching out directly to ticket purchasers through email to provide instructions on how to obtain a refund.
evenko will be processing refunds in the following manner:
  • Clients that purchased via evenko.ca or by phone will automatically receive a refund on the credit card used to make the purchase.
  • Customers that purchased their tickets in person must return to the Centre Bell Box office to obtain their refund.
Please note that refunds can take up to ten (10) business days depending on the financial institution.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the evenko Customer Experience Centre by email at [email protected] or by phone at 514-790-2525 or at 1-877-668-8269 (toll free) and an agent will gladly assist you.
Skate Canada would like to thank our fans for purchasing tickets to the world championships. We were very much looking forward to hosting and delivering a world-class event in Montreal and hope to do so in the future.

pat c

It's anticlimatic. I'm still feeling a little shell shocked about the whole thing and I didn't spend x number of months training for it. ;) I feel for the skaters, the coaches, the federations that have spent a lot of time doing what they do in preparation for worlds. I'm wandering around going now what. I bet they are as well. They've just got an early jump on next year, but mentally they're not done with this season yet. It sucks, but it was the right thing to cancel.

Now, what else do we have to discuss? :D

Judy

The NHL just suspended their season.
Our prime minister’s wife is being tested after they returned from a speaking engagement in London. So is he although he’s not showing symptoms.

Poor Italy 😞.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
This is the email I just received, which is consistent with the refund policy on the site that was cited before the cancellation:

Bonjour [Name],

evenko a pris acte de la décision du gouvernement du Québec d’annuler le Championnat mondial de patinage artistique, qui devait avoir lieu du 16 au 22 mars au Centre Bell. Compte tenu de l’aspect international de l’événement, et du nombre important de délégations internationales invitées, evenko appuie la décision du gouvernement qui prend ainsi les moyens afin de contrôler le risque de propagation du virus.

Les remboursements seront effectués de la façon suivante :
Les clients ayant acheté leurs billets via evenko.ca ou par téléphone recevront automatiquement un remboursement sur la carte de crédit utilisée pour faire l’achat.
Veuillez noter que les remboursements peuvent prendre jusqu’à dix (10) jours ouvrables, selon les délais de traitement de l’institution financière.
Les clients ayant acheté leurs billets en personne doivent retourner au point d’achat pour obtenir leur remboursement.

Si vous avez des questions, n’hésitez pas à contacter le Centre Expérience Client par courriel à [email protected] ou par téléphone au 514-790-2525 ou au 1-877-668-8269 (sans frais) et un agent se fera un plaisir de vous assister.

Nous sommes désolés des inconvénients occasionnés et nous vous remercions de votre compréhension.

- L’équipe evenko

Hello [name]

evenko has taken note of the Quebec government’s decision to cancel the World Figure Skating Championships, which were scheduled to be held at the Bell Centre from March 16 to 22. As a result of the international nature of the event, and the large number of international delegations invited, evenko supports the government’s decision, which is focused on controlling the risk of spreading the virus.

Refunds will be processed in the following manner:
Clients that purchased via evenko.ca or by phone will automatically receive a refund on the credit card used to make the purchase.
Please note that refunds can take up to ten (10) business days depending on the financial institution.
Customers that purchased their tickets in person must return to the Bell Centre Box office to obtain their refund.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Experience Centre by email at [email protected] or by phone at 514-790-2525 or at 1-877-668-8269 (toll free) and an agent will gladly assist you.

We sincerely regret any inconveniences this cancellation may have caused you and thank you for your understanding.

- The evenko team

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Trump was right to ban Europe (can’t believe I said that). I haven’t looked at all the European countries but people are probably fleeing to them.
Then he should have banned all fight into and out of the country. Picking on a handful of countries when the virus is pretty much everywhere makes no sense.

Oh, March Madness has been canceled, too. Just heard.

sammary

Anyone else purchase tickets through the organizing committee? If so, have you heard news of a refund. My friend was speaking to Lisa at the organizing committee and there was no mention of a refund.

skatingguy

decently
Anyone else purchase tickets through the organizing committee? If so, have you heard news of a refund. My friend was speaking to Lisa at the organizing committee and there was no mention of a refund.
I got an email from Evenko just after 4pm EDT indicating that all ticket refunds for tickets bought online or over the phone should be processed within 10 days. How did you buy tickets directly from the organizing committee?

Orm Irian

The number of people infected with the virus in Italy raised by about 2000 in ONE day! This is with a lockdown of the country, and everywhere else is at least two weeks behind

What I've been picking up from reading about this is that the infection rate is exponential rather than linear, because one person can infect multiple others very easily. So the infection rate doubles approximately every five days if no measures are taken. So if on day 5 you have 1000 cases, by day 10 you have 2000 and by day 15 you have 4000, and so on. And data from China suggests that because of the long incubation period, it takes about two weeks for social distancing and lockdown measures to have an impact on the number of new cases - so these new cases in Italy would be people who were infected before the lockdown measures went into place. It really hammers home the importance of starting social distancing early and keeping it up. You have to be willing to feel like you're overreacting and stick with it anyway.

It's hard to tell with the US because testing started comparatively late and test rates are still quite low, but the information available suggests that community transmission is already happening in multiple centres, so unfortunately the Schengen Zone travel ban is likely to have no measurable impact on the progression of the disease in the US at all.

DreamSkates

According to this, Worlds 2020 could still happen in October. “Canceled...for now...”
I wonder how that would work with the Grand Prix also going on and the months in between now and October and having to prepare for something like a Worlds competition.

olympic

Add me to the list of the disappointed, yet understanding that it had to be done.

It's hitting close to home. Husband went shopping and the shelves were rather bare at the local chain. My gym might close, too (My chief source of stress release :()

Tinami Amori

Zakariyan: this is (the cancellation of the competition and thus his "Oskars") for me personally a catastrophe, and what a waste of time and efforts for the ISU.
:bribe::violin:

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Zakariyan: this is (the cancellation of the competition and thus his "Oskars") for me personally a catastrophe, and what a waist of time and efforts for the ISU.
:bribe::violin:

AWWW, CHUCKS!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Worlds were canceled before Trump announced the travel ban. Perhaps you should be less hasty before calling people "gurlll" and telling them to think. :shuffle:

I know they were canceled before that. I was just making a simple statement that didn’t require drama of housewives of Atlanta and New Jersey proportions!

I also don’t need any of your advice, just like I don’t offer you mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information