Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
This is the current state of my hair.
Some four fingers worth of natural color and the rest is still sporting an old completely frazzled blonde, about shoulder length. My hair is very fine, so bleaching fried it badly, which I’m also hoping to avoid by simply growing it out.
Swap in a light golden brown and it could be me. I’m coloring for Worlds, so need to go another week with whatever “look” I have.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m coloring for Worlds, so need to go another week with whatever “look” I have.

Same here! I literally just looked in the mirror and wondered if I should dye my hair soon or wait until next week for the maximum benefit at Worlds. Lol!

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
Same here! I literally just looked in the mirror and wondered if I should dye my hair soon or wait until next week for the maximum benefit at Worlds. Lol!
Always go for maximum skating comp benefits! :D :D

I remember planning the timing of the straightening (the chemical stuff), dyeing and cut to the first Barcelona GPF lol.

skategal

Bunny mama
Always go for maximum skating comp benefits! :D :D

I remember planning the timing of the straightening (the chemical stuff), dyeing and cut to the first Barcelona GPF lol.

Yes I’m waiting until next week. I always find my hair is slightly too dark for my liking the first week I dye it. Between 2-3 weeks the colour is optimal. :lol:

I’m also trying to figure out optimal timing for getting a spray tan (or if I will even bother with that) and a manicure.

A lot goes into this.... LOL!

Aceon6

I’m also trying to figure out optimal timing for getting a spray tan (or if I will even bother with that) and a manicure.
Given that I always mess up my manicure in transit, I’ll probably just bring some Orly with me. It doesn’t require a base or top coat, so it’s easy to do it same day

skategal

Bunny mama
Given that I always mess up my manicure in transit, I’ll probably just bring some Orly with me. It doesn’t require a base or top coat, so it’s easy to do it same day

I rarely get manicures. I think I`ve only had 4 or 5 ever. I normally do it myself and enjoy doing so.

But I will be in Montreal for a week and considering my "do-it-yourself" manicures only last 4 days at maximum and I know I won't have time for a redo while I'm away, I figure I may as well go ahead and get a shellac manicure done.

That will be dry before I leave the salon, so should work okay.

I normally get pedicures before vacations but I think I will do that one myself as not much chance of open-toed shoes in March in Montreal. LOL!

Jenny

From the Bloc
Only 4 days? I do my own toes and the polish lasts months, essentially growing out if I don't reapply. I used cheapo Sally Hansen top and base coat, and usually Chanel polishes, usually 2 coats in between the Sally Hanson. I also make a point of polishing the ends of the nails, as those are the most likely areas to chip, plus I think it looks nicer :)

skategal

Bunny mama
Only 4 days? I do my own toes and the polish lasts months, essentially growing out if I don't reapply. I used cheapo Sally Hansen top and base coat, and usually Chanel polishes, usually 2 coats in between the Sally Hanson. I also make a point of polishing the ends of the nails, as those are the most likely areas to chip, plus I think it looks nicer :)

Pedicures last forever on my feet.

But I'm really hard on manicures.

I have an office job where I type a lot plus I have a young kid so my hands are often in water.

Even the longest lasting stuff only lasts 4 days.

The regular stuff only lasts 24-48 hours.

I managed to get 10 days out of the shellac manicure which is supposed to be good for at least 14 days. :lol:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Sorry I was reading that as pedicure because that's all I ever really do - obviously a little easier on the polish!

For hands I either buff to a shine, or use Dior Nail Glow. It's a clear, slightly blush/opalescent polish that is subtle, and forgiving if you don't do a precise job.

quartz

scratching at the light
Never had a manicure - I will once in a while wear nail polish - lasts about 30 minutes with my hands up in the air not touching anything and then the very second I touch something, even to very very lightly brush the hair out of my face - bang, at least 3 tips are messed up immediately. I'm just bad at glamour...:slinkaway

clairecloutier

I never do manicures either--it just doesn't make sense, I use my hands constantly all day. I suppose I could do clear nail polish, but I just never bother with it. Maybe I'll put some on for Worlds, if I have time. :)

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
I’m a certified nail polish addict. It chips like crazy, even when I sand the surface of my nails to make them rougher, so everything (base coat, polish, top coat) adheres better. But, given I get tired of having the same color for more than four days, it means I get to put on something else.

But, like a lot of beauty related things for me these days, it’s feeling more like a chore than fun, so I’ve been skipping doing my nails more often than not.

Japanfan

Never had a manicure - I will once in a while wear nail polish - lasts about 30 minutes with my hands up in the air not touching anything and then the very second I touch something, even to very very lightly brush the hair out of my face - bang, at least 3 tips are messed up immediately. I'm just bad at glamour...:slinkaway

I've had a few manicures for special occasions, but as is the case with you, find they get messed up very quickly.

I do get a pedicure once in a while, and they last much longer.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
My manis last about 5 days, but you need a GOOD topcoat. The brand I use is not producing anymore, but I'm going to switch to the Glisten&Glow topcoat, which seems to be very popular. I tend to wear mostly indie nailpolish, and like @beepbeep I'm a bit of an addict :)

anyway, I actually wanted to ask if anyone here has taken hairloss supplements and seen results? My hair is thinning, I can see the scalp in my part, esp in the front.

I looked at Nutrafol, but it's quite expensive. I also took their test for their 'personalized' suggestions, and they sort of lost me being 'science based' when they asked how often I used 'household cleaners that were natural or chemical free'.
EVERYTHING HAS CHEMICALS, AHHHH!

that said, their testimonials and reviews I find in other places seem to show results...

woodstock

Any advice on a good sunscreen face moisturizer for daytime? Combination skin and mid forties age. I’m out of sephora samples so I guess I need to actually purchase something lol! Drugstore brands are good for me also. Thanks!

Aceon6

Any advice on a good sunscreen face moisturizer for daytime? Combination skin and mid forties age. I’m out of sephora samples so I guess I need to actually purchase something lol! Drugstore brands are good for me also. Thanks!
CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion is SPF 30 and doesn’t have a scent. Some people find it a bit too thick for “slap on and go”, but if you can wait a few minutes before applying makeup, it’s great.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I love my Clinique Moisture Surge and have for many years. But I have dry, not combination skin.

I use Essence Sun Milk over it for SPF (Korean sun milk I get this off amazon)

Jenny

From the Bloc
I remember many years ago when I was balking at the price of a Clinique sunscreen, and the sales girl said, "but it's your face."

Been using Clinique sunscreens for the face ever since :summer:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
anyway, I actually wanted to ask if anyone here has taken hairloss supplements and seen results? My hair is thinning, I can see the scalp in my part, esp in the front.

I used Nioxin for awhile, and it kept more hair from falling out, but I'm not sure it helped anything come back.

Now I wear wigs. :shuffle:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I purchased some Hair Skin and Nails supplement in from Nature Made (I think? Nature's Touch?) - it was $17 for 55 days supply and get one free with purchase - so 110 days vs. 30 days for $88 for Nutrafol. We will see if my hair gets thicker. At least my nails should get longer.

woodstock

Thanks! I’m going to give the neutrogena a try as Target has a sale. :).
Oh- and for thinning hair- I use biotin- target brand. Seems to be working. Lots less lost so far, not sure about additional growth but at least it isn’t getting thinner. I know some women just keep taking prenatal vitamins (but I don’t know why- I hated those constipating pills when pregnant- although my hair was glorious!🙂).

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
My derm put me, a couple of months ago, on minoxidil for my hair loss. It’s a looong term treatment, so I don’t see results yet.

Be careful with biotin supplements, they can interfere on thyroid hormone levels.

floridaice

I purchased some Hair Skin and Nails supplement in from Nature Made (I think? Nature's Touch?) - it was $17 for 55 days supply and get one free with purchase - so 110 days vs. 30 days for $88 for Nutrafol. We will see if my hair gets thicker. At least my nails should get longer.

How is your thyroid? Hair loss, especially your eyebrows, is an early symptom of hypo thyroid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information