Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

skategal

Bunny mama
If they are trying to get us to dump points in anticipation of a new system, they're doing a shitty job of it. Crappy rewards, lack of availability for the few good ones, glitches with new offers, the list goes on.

Yep. Plus the last couple of times I took a chance and used 500 points to get a reward, I’ve only liked about half of the items in the kit.

I wish they would bring in some good rewards to make us use up our points.

I hate being stuck with 1500 points all the time.

I’ve even tried ordering 5 or 6 of the same 100 point reward that I like but that seems impossible too.

canbelto

I'm dying on Day 2 of intermittent fasting. I chose to not eat after 6 and not eat till 10 but as I'm a teacher and have to be up early this no breakfast thing is killing me. I'm dizzy, weak ...

quartz

scratching at the light
Everyone at work is doing it. They all swear it works.
Well, if your goal is to be weak and dizzy and feeling like you're dying, then sure it works. :D

At my work today we had cake for a staff member who is leaving. I seem to be the only woman who is not on keto, and while the rest of them were all acting pious about turning down cake and exclaiming, oh its too close to weigh in time! heehee! - I stuck my hand out and said, pass it down here, do I look like a woman who's afraid of carbs??
Totally not part of the in-crowd. :p

Last edited:

canbelto

Well, if your goal is to be weak and dizzy and feeling like you're dying, then sure it works. :D

At my work today we had cake for a staff member is leaving. I seem to be the only woman who is not on keto, and while the rest of them were all acting pious about turning down cake and exclaiming, oh its too close to weigh in time! heehee! - I stuck out my hand out and said, pass it down here, do I look like a woman who's afraid of carbs??
Totally not part of the in-crowd. :p

Oh I don't eat cake at work functions anyway because I don't want to be the person who eats cake at work.

I'm reading that after a week of fasting my body will not even want food anymore because I won't have any insulin in my bloodstream or something. I guess Day 2 I just feel miserable. I just had a horrible ankle injury and haven't been able to run so I gained 10 pounds and need to lose it and everyone at work is trying this so ...

vesperholly

Maybe you're going too hard with the fasting? I started out doing 12/12 and then went to 14/10 fasting (dinner before 7pm and breakfast at 9am) and it worked really well for me. Basically it cut out all my extraneous nighttime snacking. I didn't change a thing about what I ate the rest of the time and lost about 10 pounds with not much effort. I have kept it off and lost more since, and I'm not officially doing IF anymore.

The hard part was having a social life where you're going out for dinner at 8pm. I skate right after work several days a week and sometimes don't get home until after 7pm. However, it's a super easy "diet" to snap back into the next day. I would say the best part of IF was that it made me very keenly aware of how much I was snacking.

However, I also lost 35 pounds on Weight Watchers back in the day. Pick the diet that works with your lifestyle.

canbelto

Maybe you're going too hard with the fasting? I started out doing 12/12 and then went to 14/10 fasting (dinner before 7pm and breakfast at 9am) and it worked really well for me. Basically it cut out all my extraneous nighttime snacking. I didn't change a thing about what I ate the rest of the time and lost about 10 pounds with not much effort. I have kept it off and lost more since, and I'm not officially doing IF anymore.

The hard part was having a social life where you're going out for dinner at 8pm. I skate right after work several days a week and sometimes don't get home until after 7pm. However, it's a super easy "diet" to snap back into the next day. I would say the best part of IF was that it made me very keenly aware of how much I was snacking.

However, I also lost 35 pounds on Weight Watchers back in the day. Pick the diet that works with your lifestyle.

From what I've read doesn't your body not go into ketosis until after 12 hours? So you have to fast for at least 14 hours? Everyone said that I'd have a clear and sharp mind and would feel "spiritually closer to my body." It's day 2 and I'm not feeling it but maybe I will ...

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Thinking about this, the main promoters seem to be people who don’t have to be at work that early and don't stay late. My most typical work schedule had me leaving the house before 7 and rarely getting home before 6. I’m in the don’t eat after dinner camp, but would have found it very difficult to get proper nutrition during the work day if my food intake was limited to those hours.

canbelto

Thinking about this, the main promoters seem to be people who don’t have to be at work that early and don't stay late. My most typical work schedule had me leaving the house before 7 and rarely getting home before 6. I’m in the don’t eat after dinner camp, but would have found it very difficult to get proper nutrition during the work day if my food intake was limited to those hours.

Well I work at a school where people come in early and stay late and it's the newest thing among everyone. I'm sure it will get better. Just right now it's tough.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try 14/10 or something.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
The data suggests that the benefits of intermittent fasting are not measurable unless you’re doing a minimum of 16 hours fasting. Truly being in ketosis takes ~2 days.

Being in a maintained state of ketosis will make doing IF easier. If you’re feeling tired/weak, it’s typically two things: 1) you’re not eating enough during your eating window, particularly fat rich foods, and 2) you’re not increasing your water and sodium/potassium intake. Sprinkle a little salt in your water or drink a little bit of chicken broth during your eating hours. Sodium helps combat “keto flu”.

oleada

Meh, I can’t function without breakfast. Make something healthy for yourself and feel better. Eat a lot of vegetables, lean meats and the ocasional piece of cake and you’re fine 🤷🏻‍♀️.

Pregnancy has accelerated my gray hair growth and I’m getting my hair cut and colored tomorrow. I cannot wait, I find a new gray every day. Trying to decide if I should get highlights or single process. My primary concern is covering up the grays, followed by low maintenance, followed by money. I’ve had balayage and loved the look, but single process is definitely easier. Any advice?

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Why are we talking about fasting in the glamour puss thread?

My husband tried intermittent fasting, all it did was make him cranky and didn't make him loose any weights. He just ate more later. The only way intermittent fasting works is because most people end up eating less calories. Him and his biking friends are always trying different ways of 'staying fit'. Honestly I think intermittent fasting is a ticket to disordered eating.

I also thought science showed that eating smaller, more frequent meals was better, as that doesn't cause spikes in bloodsugar when eating, but what do I know.

on the glamour puss front, Sephora sent me a coupon to 15% off, so I hurried up at got the Fresh Black Tea eye cream which I was almost out of. It's quite expensive, so the coupon was nice. I do love it, its one of the few scented creams where I can abide the scent too. I like how it calms my eyes.

@oleada edit I've no idea what 'single process' is. If its just one color all over, then you might run the risk of it not looking natural? Idk. My hair is pink, so I don't try to make it look natural :p. I do know that color usually doesn't stick to grey hair as easily, so some more maintenance will probably be required (I have some very light hairs my pink doesn't stick to, not as well as it did 2 years ago. I think I might have a bunch more grey hair than when I started my fantasy colors 2 years ago, but it's harder to tell when my natural color is sort of dish-blonde)

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Meh, I can’t function without breakfast. Make something healthy for yourself and feel better. Eat a lot of vegetables, lean meats and the ocasional piece of cake and you’re fine 🤷🏻‍♀️.

Pregnancy has accelerated my gray hair growth and I’m getting my hair cut and colored tomorrow. I cannot wait, I find a new gray every day. Trying to decide if I should get highlights or single process. My primary concern is covering up the grays, followed by low maintenance, followed by money. I’ve had balayage and loved the look, but single process is definitely easier. Any advice?
I’m about 25% gray. I use 2-3 shades of demi permanent color every 6-8 weeks and touch up with hair makeup like Clairol Color Crave when the area around my part fades beyond what’s tolerable. BUT I have lighter hair to begin with, so fading isn’t a huge problem.

Just make sure they leave the color on long enough. Gray hair tends to have a sturdier cuticle. The straighter and shinier you’re grays, the harder is to get the color to penetrate.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
@oleada I would go highlights so the gray/white blends in more. I started going gray at 27, and just decided to go blonde at 32 to hide it all, but that's even more high maintenance, so, highlights!

oleada

edit I've no idea what 'single process' is. If its just one color all over, then you might run the risk of it not looking natural? Idk. My hair is pink, so I don't try to make it look natural :p. I do know that color usually doesn't stick to grey hair as easily, so some more maintenance will probably be required (I have some very light hairs my pink doesn't stick to, not as well as it did 2 years ago. I think I might have a bunch more grey hair than when I started my fantasy colors 2 years ago, but it's harder to tell when my natural color is sort of dish-blonde)
Yeah, single process is the same color all over. I have dark brown almost black hair, so there’s not a lot of light and shade to it. It also makes any gray super visible. Sigh. I’m thinking highlights might look more natural if the grays keep coming in.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
I’m done with trying to cover white hair.
Coloring my hair used to he something that was fun and now it’s just another chore.
I think I have enough strands that it won’t look unkempt but I’ll still manage something of a grayish look. I’ve had quite a few odd strands since my early 20s and have been playing with my hair color even before that.
It’s about 5cm in (out :D) só we’ll see how it goes.

Can we please take the intermittent fasting talk out to an appropriate thread and keep this beauty/makeup/skincare?

clairecloutier

I do single process on my hair, plus some highlights every 3 months or so. I have a lot of gray, though, unfortunately. (Early graying runs in my mom’s family.) Single process is quicker for the hairdresser to apply than highlights. You do need to maintain it by going every 5 weeks though (ugh). Although, if most of your hair is still dark, @oleada, you could probably stretch it further than that, maybe to 6 or 7 weeks.

quartz

scratching at the light
@oleada I would go highlights so the gray/white blends in more. I started going gray at 27, and just decided to go blonde at 32 to hide it all, but that's even more high maintenance, so, highlights!
I'm about 30% grey. I was blonde as a child and then gradually turned light-medium brunette, and got quite a bit darker during the pregnancy years. When the grey started freaking me out in my mid forties, my hair dresser added blonde highlights to camouflage the grey. She said for a pasty-white girl like me, its better to go lighter and not try to maintain a darker hair color as you age. What's really bothering me now is that it is noticeably thinning. :drama:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
My hair is thinning too, and it bothers me. I’m wondering if any of the ads I get work - mostly I get nutrafol ones...

I understand you not wanting to go grey prematurely @oleada. maybe ask your hairstylist what she would suggest to make maintenance easier if you trust them?

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m pretty sure I have enough hair on my head for 3 people. It’s a pain sometimes.

I recently started using the L’Oreal preference brand of “do it yourself” hair colour and I really like it.

I had highlights a few years ago and liked the look but hated the up keep at the salon. I prefer to do it myself.

I vote highlights. Pregnancy accelerated the graying of my hair too. Stupid pregnancy. I haven’t decided how hard I’m willing to work to cover them yet. I’m pretty low maintenance when it comes to hair and in theory I like the idea of embracing aging and all my money seems to be going to vet bills lately but I hate that they’re mostly around my crown. Gives me a weird grey halo.

vesperholly

From what I've read doesn't your body not go into ketosis until after 12 hours? So you have to fast for at least 14 hours? Everyone said that I'd have a clear and sharp mind and would feel "spiritually closer to my body." It's day 2 and I'm not feeling it but maybe I will ...
In and out of ketosis seems like mumbo jumbo to me. I just liked it because it helped me stop the mindless grazing - essentially cutting calories. It was hard to overeat in the eating window also. Sorry this is my last post here, maybe there should be a separate fasting thread.

I'm at the point with gray hair where I'm still plucking out individual white strands :yikes: not too many yet. I need to get my hairdresser to match my natural color to a dye shade so I can use that to cover grays. I love my natural hair color and I haven't dyed it in years.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
My mom (67) hasn’t dyed her hair in years and it’s now a beautiful blend of white and black. She’s even more pale than me, so it suits her.

My own hair is more of an ash dark blonde (I call it rat color) and, if the blend of white/regular color hair turns out like hers, I will be very pleased.

The main problem for me is the texture, as the white hair feels COMPLETELY different than my “regular” hair, it’s super frizzy.

fan

I vote highlights. Pregnancy accelerated the graying of my hair too. Stupid pregnancy. I haven’t decided how hard I’m willing to work to cover them yet. I’m pretty low maintenance when it comes to hair and in theory I like the idea of embracing aging and all my money seems to be going to vet bills lately but I hate that they’re mostly around my crown. Gives me a weird grey halo.
Ditto for me, grey hair around the crown post pregnancy. I am colouring it every 4 weeks. I haven’t tried colouring it at home, I’ve been going to a salon and it’s getting expensive. I worry at home I’ll mAke a mess of the bathroom and not get all the grays covered.

I vote single colour. Highlights take forever and with a new baby you won’t have time

Rob

Beach Bum
Kinda funny, but I went my whole adult life from maybe 21 to 57 only eating between 12 noon and 8 or 9 pm, and I gained weight every single year until I was up to 248 lbs. It mattered what I ate and that I was sitting at a desk not getting exercise. I have lost 58 lbs since I started eating breakfast, smaller portions every 3-4 hours, and started moving.

Has anyone tried any Beautycounter products? I am or eventually become allergic to practically everything so I love them because they don't break me out. They are one of those MLMs, which are somewhat controversial, but my friend is a rep so I order through her. I especially love the zinc sunscreen (no rash/doesn't stain my shirts/bathing suits), the Dewskin tinted spf moisturizer, and the Countertime line of cleanser, toners, day and night moisturizer, eye cream. I have never had an eye cream that doesn't give me a rash so I love this stuff. The eye shadow is nice too. The lipstick is nice and creamy, but it doesn't stay on that long. And the mascara doesn't clump or make my eyes sting, but it doesn't make my lashes look much longer. Its pricey, but I will pay not to have a rash all over my face and body.

canbelto

Well day 3. Still not feeling the "sharpness" I'm supposed to feel when fasting. I am eating less because the time window to eat is so short, but I'm finding that my whole day revolves now around eating or not eating. People at work are recommending black coffee to fight off the hunger.

oleada

I ended up with the highlights. She said I didn’t have so many grays that she couldn’t cover them up with the foil, and she thinks it will actually blend in better with new grays that come up. She also did a gloss and said I can get another gloss next time just for more low maintenance stuff. I think it looks nice and natural.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
This is the current state of my hair.
Some four fingers worth of natural color and the rest is still sporting an old completely frazzled blonde, about shoulder length. My hair is very fine, so bleaching fried it badly, which I’m also hoping to avoid by simply growing it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information