Cipres/FFSG Press Release on the situation 12-16-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
His tattoo ‘down there’ as far as I’m guessing you’re referring to is the one right on his V- which anyone would see at the beach, in the locker room at a gym, with his shirt off walking down the street or whatever. His Instagram/model photo selection is absolutely tame. He’s not going to get banned for posting a shirtless photo.

The correlation here is a bit silly.

I haven't seen it - I don't have an Instagram account. I was basing my comments on what others said about his photos, which suggested he has a tattoo near his groin and which was also visible in the dick pics.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Cipres is hardly the only adult male who gets a thrill out of sending dick pics to kids. It's the thrill of the forbidden. He basically got off on sending the pics to this kid. It has nothing to do with nudity or his Instagram photos, which are no more than many skaters post. I highly doubt this was the first time he's done this nor will it be the last unless there are severe career consequences including him not continuing to train or be able to compete in the US which would cause a significant financial hardship. Other than that apart from a civil suit by the parents, there won't be any other consequences legally against a French citizen. Zimmerman and Fontana are a whole different story and can and IMHO should face sanctions via Safesport and the USFSA.

triple_toe

Just read

Which stunned me, so much for brilliant French intellectuals like Sartre and de Beauvoir. If this is a cultural streak in France, it helps in understanding Cipres’ actions.

Uhhh Sartre and de Beauvoir weren't exactly known for their chastity or indeed their lack of liaisons with underage persons, which has long been out in the open... I'm sure all the amphetamines, barbiturates, psychedelics, and booze didn't help either :p

zebraswan

None of this has anything to do with him being French, we have enough such scandals here in the US. Anthony Weiner, Dennis Hastert, Jeffrey Epstein for god's sake. Besides that, Morgan doesn't strike me as some great literature-reading intellectual. Creeps are just creeps regardless of culture, background, IQ, etc.

Eleanor2

Just read

Which stunned me, so much for brilliant French intellectuals like Sartre and de Beauvoir. If this is a cultural streak in France, it helps in understanding Cipres’ actions.
:wall:

If I were you, I'd have add Nabokov's name to explain Cipre's deviant behavior. It often works to blame a russian. Besides he's way more famous than Matzneff. I am sure Cipres might have heard his name once in his life.

maxb

I think we sometimes use words like "support" and even "mistake" wrong. Often we hear "we all make mistakes" to excuse immoral, illegal acts that are hugely damaging to others as if it is just part of the human learning process we all go through. We also can find ways to be "supportive" of a family member, friend, etc. who has done wrong without showing a lack of empathy for their victim, trivializing what they have done, and in general "standing by them" in any way that appears to condone their behavior.

I have spoken to them all privately - she is defending Morgan for the whole episode...and of course she knew what happened then! They are lying low this year, hoping it will all go away. Look, she's incredibly ambitious, has dedicated her entire adult life to this and Morgan has always been a player and a playboy. People turn a blind eye often, and when they are hyper-focused on an ambitious goal even more so.

When they are surrounded by a supportive team who are reliant on their fame pushing them to focus and ignore "stuff", telling them that they the team members will "handle it"...well why not? I was a huge fan of them both and even used them as an example for school aged children. I spoke to them often, esp that I was using Morgan as an example for children and V etc thought that was was a cute and cool idea.

I get the whole driven for fame thing and I get the difference in cultures as far as nakedness, showing off ..I lived in France for years. But it's all tacky now. And when I first heard word of this I supported them. But I work in sexual assault support and now I know the full details I am beyond disgusted. Yes, it was "complicated" but the cover-up, the entitlement, the disregard for due process was, and is shameful.

And now that I know that they all knew, they all covered it up for the 'greater goal', I can't watch them anymore, which is a shame. Of course they will give zero f*cks as they have thousands of fervent supporters.That is the way our world is - fame, talent,glossy telegenic celebrities win 99% of the time. Poor poor girl is all I can say:-(

puglover

I greatly admire your attitude maxb as it seems few people are able to jump off a band wagon when they realize it is not what they had believed it to be and instead start trying to justify the unjustifiable. It is sad that those around the situation saw the "greater goal" as success and fame rather than the support and mental health of a young woman. I have believed that being a mandated reporter put substantial responsibility on the coaches and if everything is true - they have really failed and need to be held accountable.

okokok777

I have spoken to them all privately - she is defending Morgan for the whole episode...and of course she knew what happened then! They are lying low this year, hoping it will all go away. Look, she's incredibly ambitious, has dedicated her entire adult life to this and Morgan has always been a player and a playboy. People turn a blind eye often, and when they are hyper-focused on an ambitious goal even more so.

When they are surrounded by a supportive team who are reliant on their fame pushing them to focus and ignore "stuff", telling them that they the team members will "handle it"...well why not? I was a huge fan of them both and even used them as an example for school aged children. I spoke to them often, esp that I was using Morgan as an example for children and V etc thought that was was a cute and cool idea.

I get the whole driven for fame thing and I get the difference in cultures as far as nakedness, showing off ..I lived in France for years. But it's all tacky now. And when I first heard word of this I supported them. But I work in sexual assault support and now I know the full details I am beyond disgusted. Yes, it was "complicated" but the cover-up, the entitlement, the disregard for due process was, and is shameful.

And now that I know that they all knew, they all covered it up for the 'greater goal', I can't watch them anymore, which is a shame. Of course they will give zero f*cks as they have thousands of fervent supporters.That is the way our world is - fame, talent,glossy telegenic celebrities win 99% of the time. Poor poor girl is all I can say:-(

maxb - I can't put into words how much respect & admiration I have towards you after reading this. I have read some of your comments on other social media sites when this first came out & the fact that you changed your stance after hearing more information is so refreshing - thank you.

The way that this case was and continues to be handled has been so hard on the survivor. From the coaches to other skaters at the rink, so many people failed her. Based on the information that I have, I hope that the involved parties are appropriately sanctioned (ranging from lifetime bans from the USFS/ISU to prison sentences).

Tinami Amori

I have spoken to them all privately - she is defending Morgan for the whole episode...and of course she knew what happened then!
Dare i ask what her reasons/logic are, what are her defense points? regardless of "his intent", "cultural differences", and other "details", what he did is illegal. was there a part in her/his reply "yes, it is illegal, but..."?

Icedancefanlena

You have always been a diehard fan. You may have changed your mind, but are you seriously trying to convince people that they would actually have private conversations with you about all this!? Haha 😂👌 sure!

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
There's a new Brennan article today.

It doesn't have too much new information, as far as I can tell. But there are two immediate takeaways, IMO:

1. Ashley Wagner continues to be awesome and inspirational.

2. Gordie Zimmermann--the owner of the rink where all the Cipres stuff allegedly happened--seems to be a horrible person if he actually said this about the 13-year-old survivor: “I think she’s dangerous as hell, I think the girl is dangerous. This girl was in our building. … The parents were told that she probably needs some supervision."

Repulsive.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The rink owner's comments are attempting to divert a lawsuit by the parents against the rink. Given the father is an attorney, it wasn't a very smart diversionary tactic and he should have listened to his own lawyer and kept his mouth shut. The #Trumpmethod of tweeting insults and calling it a defense isn't particularly effective.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I am so disgusted by what Gordie Zimmerman said. Judge Three on Twitter seems to be saying that Mark Ladwig is actually learning and trying to step up for victims, so I'm willing to give him a chance. Gordie Zimmerman should be fired/removed from the rink/etc asap though.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Judge Three on Twitter seems to be saying that Mark Ladwig is actually learning and trying to step up for victims, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

I'm not. This is not the kind of thing that someone representing athletes should be learning "on the job".

Gordie Zimmerman should be fired/removed from the rink/etc asap though.

Yes. And if he's a USFS member he should be suspended for violating the SafeSport policies about maintaining a safe training environment.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The vast majority of the rink management I encountered over the years were not USFS members, however many of them were ISI members. It's a big weakness when it comes to addressing the problem because they operate separately from all the non-profits they serve, so there are few formal agreements that document a meeting of the minds for handling these issues. Also the for-profit rinks are there to make money, so problem coaches who contribute as rainmakers have learned that they can roam the U.S. from rink to rink as long as they bring in students whose parents will spend lots of money at the rink. Two years here, three years there from coast to coast. It would really help when it comes to prevention if rinks would step up in this area. In the meantime, maybe some more civil lawsuits by victims for monetary damages due to negligence would help since it would affect their pocketbooks.

Last edited:

UGG

Back In August, I was shocked reading comments on twitter that echo what Ashley said in this article- she told him to stop and he did, so he didn’t do anything wrong. Ummmm walking into the room of a sleeping 17 year old and molesting her is ok...just because she told him to stop and he did?!?!? 🙄🙄🙄

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Vanessa is trying to salvage her career. I feel for her...the thought of her partnership with Cipres possibly being over prematurely. 😞

okokok777

I'm not. This is not the kind of thing that someone representing athletes should be learning "on the job".

Yes. And if he's a USFS member he should be suspended for violating the SafeSport policies about maintaining a safe training environment.

Regarding Mark Ladwig's comment, the entire context of that quote was that incidental touch was not an invitation for off-ice sexual contact. Something along the lines of "Accidental intimate touch on the ice does not equate to consent for intimate touch off the ice." I personally have issues with the "hand slip" comments since it's commonly used as a red herring while discussing sexual abuse in pairs & ice dance. However, while I'm disappointed in the comment I do think that more context should have been given in the article.

I'm not sure if Gordie is a USFS member or not. I think he may be a USAH member but I'll need to double-check. If he's a member of any NGB, than I hope he's investigated & appropriately sanctioned by the Center ASAP. It's also important to note that under Florida law, he is a mandated reporter. If he failed to report the sexual harassment of a minor to DCF or the police, he could be criminally charged.

Vanessa is trying to salvage her career. I feel for her...the thought of her partnership with Cipres possibly being over prematurely. 😞

TBH I'm ambivalent about Vanessa. I can only imagine how difficult this entire situation must be for her. Her entire life is skating & she's already in her 30's - so there is a time crunch for competitive success. However, based on the information I've received, she's known about the abuse for over two years now, never reported it to SafeSport, DCF or the police and was actively complicit in the cover-up. In my opinion, she chose her career over the safety & well-being of a child. While the circumstances may be complicated, it doesn't excuse or even begin to explain her alleged actions.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Was just on the USFS FB page looking for something and noticed that John Coughlin is shown in their cover video. At least I'm pretty sure it's him. :(

Yes, it's all current skaters and a bunch of cute Learn to Skate kids and then him (and I think Caydee?) doing a death spiral at the very end.

Which video do you mean? I only see still photos and links on the home page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information