Stars on Ice 2020

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Are there really only two U.S. shows next year? The cast is a mix of U.S. and Canadian skaters and the schedule is mostly in Canada:

For the first time ever, two-time World Champion and three-time U.S. Champion Nathan Chen and Olympic Gold Medalists Meryl Davis & Charlie White unite in one show with Canada’s Olympic and World Medalists Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Patrick Chan, Kaetlyn Osmond and Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje, plus many of the world’s best skaters straight from the 2020 World Figure Skating Championships.

APR. 24, 2020 7:30PM
HALIFAX, NS
SCOTIABANK CENTRE

APR. 26, 2020 4:00PM
OTTAWA, ON
CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE

APR. 29, 20207:00PM
LAVAL, QC
PLACE BELL

MAY 1, 2020 7:30PM
TORONTO, ON
SCOTIABANK ARENA

MAY 2, 2020 7:30PM
HAMILTON, ON
FIRSTONTARIO CENTRE

MAY 3, 2020 4:00PM
LONDON, ON
BUDWEISER GARDENS

MAY 6, 2020 7:00PM
WINNIPEG, MB
BELL MTS PLACE

MAY 9, 2020 7:30PM
CALGARY, AB
SCOTIABANK SADDLEDOME

MAY 10, 2020 4:00PM
EDMONTON, AB
ROGERS PLACE

MAY 12, 2020 7:00PM
VICTORIA, BC
SAVE-ON-FOODS MEMORIAL CENTRE

MAY 14, 2020 7:00PM
VANCOUVER, BC
ROGERS ARENA

MAY 16, 2020 7:30PM
ANAHEIM, CA
HONDA CENTER

MAY 17, 2020 4:00PM
SAN JOSE, CA
SAP CENTER

Sylvia

TBD
Just checked the Archives... it was 7 U.S. cities in 2017 and 6 cities in 2016 so I'm not that surprised at this turn of events, I guess. :(

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Ugh. Well, that blows. And I remember at the Hershey show this year, they had flyers to pre-order tix for next year's show. :(

OTOH, it's a great lineup. Although I'm kind of surprised to see Elvis in it, because there were some comments from the Rock the Rink shows that he seemed to be working really hard to keep up with the young'uns.

Debbie S

OTOH, it's a great lineup. Although I'm kind of surprised to see Elvis in it, because there were some comments from the Rock the Rink shows that he seemed to be working really hard to keep up with the young'uns.
I assume that given the tour's timing - 3 weeks, with shows pretty much straight through (not just on weekends) - the young'uns still competing didn't want to commit, at least to the whole tour.

I'm guessing Nathan won't appear in shows that conflict with his classes/exams.

Sylvia

TBD

Nathan Chen *Not appearing in all Canada cities
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje *Not appearing in all cities (ETA: my mistake; W/P are full-time cast members)

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

I always thought it would be a great idea to combine the US and Canadian tours, but even with lower attendance it's shocking that they've essentially abandoned the U.S. part of it. I feel quite lucky that the San Jose crowds have been turning out - thanks Nathan, Alysa, Mirai, and the Shibs!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I assume that given the tour's timing - 3 weeks, with shows pretty much straight through (not just on weekends) - the young'uns still competing didn't want to commit, at least to the whole tour.

I'm guessing Nathan won't appear in shows that conflict with his classes/exams.

I hadn't thought of that, but this is probably the reason.

Alexa

Iirc, more cast member were announced later on this year.

Plus I don’t think Nathan has that much impact on the scheduling. I really wish Karen could be invited to the show.

Sylvia

TBD
Also from the press release:
"The 2020 Stars on Ice tour will bring the beauty, intrigue and awe of the world’s premier figure skating show to 14 cities in North America beginning in Halifax, NS on Friday, April 24th, and wrapping up in San Jose, CA on Sunday, May 17th."

mollymgr

Canada and two cities in California (Let's pick two cities where Nathan may be able to skate at :lol:). That is so puzzling and random. Not surprising since the tour stops have been dwindling over the years.:cry:

shan

Canada and two cities in California (Let's pick two cities where Nathan may be able to skate at :lol:). That is so puzzling and random. Not surprising since the tour stops have been dwindling over the years.:cry:

I always thought it might be good if they tried different cities to see if there might be a better turnout. It seemed to be the same cities over and over. Blah.......

screech

Is Jeff Buttle's time with SOI over? I'm going to guess that Charlie will take over choreography duty.

cheremary

It says 14 cities in the press release, but only 13 are listed. I wonder if that means one city already got cut since it was written or if there is another location still to be announced.

The lineup is great though, and it's a good idea to mix US and Canadian skaters.

Sylvia

TBD
It says 14 cities in the press release, but only 13 are listed. I wonder if that means one city already got cut since it was written or if there is another location still to be announced.
Good catch! CSOI usually has 12 cities. Saskatoon was included last year but not this year.

ETA (added after post #1 was made):

MAY 8, 2020 7:30PM
KELOWNA, BC
PROSPERA PLACE

Last edited:

dramagrrl

If they were combining U.S. and Canadian casts, I would've liked to see Tanith and Ben on tour... (I don't know the last time they skated with U.S. SOI, but I seem to remember it being fairly recently?)

clairecloutier

Sad about this. SOI was a great tour for so many years, it's sad to think that it's essentially dead now in the U.S. And I'm very bummed for the American skaters who had been a regular part of the tour in recent years, for example, the Shibs, Hubbell/Donohue, Bradie Tennell, and others who appeared multiple times.

I will miss going to the show--it had become part of my routine every spring. :( :wuzrobbed

seabm7

Is Jeff Buttle's time with SOI over? I'm going to guess that Charlie will take over choreography duty.

He's still listed here as director/choreographer.

There is still a possibility that Charlie will take over the choreography duty. But I don't think they will allow him to direct the show yet.

Alexa

The lineup is great though, and it's a good idea to mix US and Canadian skaters.
Did I count it wrong? It is 14 cities on the website

Found it, the list missed May 8th, Kelowna

love skating

Clueless American
I find this sad. Only two U.S. cities. :( I almost posted about next year's US SOI tour a couple days ago cause I received my preordered tickets for Anaheim in the mail. Of course I didn't know it was going to be a combined tour. I thought it was really early to get my tickets I guess this is part of the reason why. I know people complained about it always being US skaters lately but I love seeing the top American skaters. Glad to see Meryl and Charlie and Nathan, hope to see some more American names. And if we could see Evgenia like Canada got last year I'd get very happy about that! My guess is the tour will hold on until at least this next Olympics but after that maybe it will either stop or be an Olympic year only tour? So sad to see the declined interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information