The US Thanksgiving thread!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
If someone has a good sweet potato casserole recipe that is both good and traditional and won't upset my non-American husband like the maple-syrup-and-butter version did, I'd be ever so grateful. :D

oleada

I’m making this Mac and Cheese and bringing it over to my in-laws:

Hope it brings some flavor to the table. My MIL is absolutely lovely but her cooking is like a white people food joke a lot of the time. I can’t really handle turkey this year, so I’m all about the sides. :)

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If someone has a good sweet potato casserole recipe that is both good and traditional and won't upset my non-American husband like the maple-syrup-and-butter version did, I'd be ever so grateful. :D
Maple syrup and butter is better than putting marshmallows in it! :mitchell:

I like mine plain though. We cook them like a baked potato. Then you can put whatever you want on it including nothing.

When I was a kid, I loved the green bean casserole that involved cream of mushroom soup and french fried onion rings. But when my husband makes it, it's always a bit runny. Anyone have any ideas for him as to what is going wrong?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Maple syrup is not native to the Middle East. ;) Neither are marshmallows but at least you can scrape them off the top if you don't like them.

MsZem

I see the sea
Maple syrup is not native to the Middle East. ;) Neither are marshmallows but at least you can scrape them off the top if you don't like them.
Honestly, just toss some regular potatoes and sweet potatoes in olive oil, herbs and spices and stick them in the oven. It's the most Israeli-friendly take on it.

This looks good, too - it's not just sweet potatoes, but maybe you can adapt it a bit?

jeffisjeff

Honestly, just toss some regular potatoes and sweet potatoes in olive oil, herbs and spices and stick them in the oven. It's the most Israeli-friendly take on it.

I don't eat sweet potatoes, but that is what my husband does. Apparently, cumin goes quite well on sweet potatoes. That should satisfy the Middle Easterners.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I don't eat sweet potatoes, but that is what my husband does. Apparently, cumin goes quite well on sweet potatoes. That should satisfy the Middle Easterners.

But everybody else, including me, wants something sweet and goopy. I think I'll skip the maple syrup and go for honey this year, which is at least a nod in the ME direction.

oleada

This looks good, too - it's not just sweet potatoes, but maybe you can adapt it a bit?
That’s how I make them and they come out really well.

MsZem

I see the sea
But everybody else, including me, wants something sweet and goopy. I think I'll skip the maple syrup and go for honey this year, which is at least a nod in the ME direction.
How about silan, if you can get it?

I find sweet potatoes sweet enough without throwing in things like honey or syrup, and sometimes add sour cream sometimes to counter the sweetness.

There's not much for me to eat at a Thanksgiving dinner anyway :p

meggonzo

Banned Member

I like mine plain though. We cook them like a baked potato. Then you can put whatever you want on it including nothing.

When I was a kid, I loved the green bean casserole that involved cream of mushroom soup and french fried onion rings. But when my husband makes it, it's always a bit runny. Anyone have any ideas for him as to what is going wrong?
He should be mixing the soup with breadcrumbs.

Vagabond

I have been asked to bring a chestnut-based dessert. I am thinking of making this:

But I may omit or find substitutes for the rum, raisins, and candied orange peel.

ETA: I found candied orange peel on sale, so I don't have to worry about making it from scratch! Woo hoo! :biggrinbo

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020

Does he add milk to the cream of mushroom soup. My experience is that it makes it runny

snoopy

This year we’re finally switching to the good turkey: steak. It’s like when I realized I didn’t have to finish books I didn’t like. Everyone was literally meh at the thought of turkey so beef tenderloin it is!

The sweet potato recipe I’m using roasts the potatoes with coriander and cumin and adds a dried cranberry, lime juice,sugar and cilantro topping.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Does he add milk to the cream of mushroom soup. My experience is that it makes it runny
He just follows the recipe on the can. Which is why I'm flummoxed as to why they don't look like the green been casseroles of my youth. :D

The sweet potato recipe I’m using roasts the potatoes with coriander and cumin and adds a dried cranberry, lime juice,sugar and cilantro topping.
Sounds delish.

We're going to the in-laws so will have whatever they make. Most likely a traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings.

clairecloutier

@PRlady Below is my sweet potato casserole recipe. It is rich, but good. This recipe originally came from a friend of a friend in Louisiana. I have altered it a bit to make it less sweet. It's been a hit with both sides of our family & everyone always wants the recipe.

Sweet Potato Souffle

Souffle:

3 cups sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
* About 4 sweet potatoes, roughly
2-3 tbsp. sugar
8 tbsp butter, softened (you could try reducing the butter a bit, would probably be fine)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup milk

Boil and mash sweet potatoes. Mix in sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Put in 13 x 9 baking dish.

Topping:

5 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Melt butter. Mix in brown sugar, flour, and nuts. Sprinkle on top of potato mixture.

Bake 25 minutes @ 350 F.

------------

P.S. I also recently tried this recipe for homemade sweet potato fries--it's the best I've found yet:

Last edited:

Japanfan

I make a wonderful stuffing with sausage, apple, chestnuts, and cornbread.

I always make my own cornbread because I've yet to find a commercially made one that is anywhere near as good. I usually do this a few weeks early, then it's really easy to make the stuffing.

I've tried this stuffing with wild rice instead of cornbread, but the cornbread one is so much better.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

Something for everybody

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This year we’re finally switching to the good turkey: steak. It’s like when I realized I didn’t have to finish books I didn’t like. Everyone was literally meh at the thought of turkey so beef tenderloin it is!

I think that has potential! Recipe please?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I got to the point where I didn't like the sweet potatoes with brown sugar tradition any more so I started cooking them with apples. You can just slice them and cook them on the stove top with sliced apple, if you want you can add some apple juice. If it suits you can add a little butter but I don't. If you want it sweeter choose a sweeter apple, if not one that is more on the tart side where the sweet potato provides the sweet.

sk8pics

I am going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving for a very nontraditional dinner. It's a pot luck, mostly soups or appetizer like things, except I am going to make a quiche with swiss cheese, bacon and onion. My friend is making some sort of chicken tortilla soup and then there is a shrimp dish (which I don't eat, hence the quiche) and some other veggie dish. Plus apple pie for dessert.

I'm going to make a turkey breast for myself on Friday and roast some potatoes, onions, and carrots, and maybe tomatoes with it. Plus hoping my cat Leo may decide he likes turkey so I have something besides rotisserie chicken to fall back on when he is being picky.:rolleyes::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information